Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jundo's India Diary: A Month of Travels & Pilgrimage

Jundo's India Diary: A Month of Travels & Pilgrimage

नमस्ते (NAMASTE)!

I am setting off to India (and a little bit of Nepal) for most of the coming month, November 10th through December 5th. I hope to bring you all with me as best I can, and will try to post updates and little films and such in this thread during the trip.

During that period though, for maybe the first time in 10 years, I will be otherwise pretty scarce around Treeleaf. I won't be posting much else or have much to say. Instead, this Community will be in the caring hands of our Novice-Priests in Training, Kyonin, Shugen, Shingen, Shokai, Daizan and Sekishi. They'll take care of everyone, be here as always for those who need, and keep the doors open.

Festivities commence this week in fact, with our Treeleaf 4-Hour Monthly Zazenkai for November, this time reflecting on our Indian roots, why Buddhism and Hindu beliefs are not so different at all (although very different too). The Talk centers on the Bhagavad-gītā, plus various teachings about India by Dogen and other non-Indian masters of old.

November 4th-5th, 2016 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! NAMASTE INDIA!
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...MASTE-INDIA%21

The last 10 days of my trip will be a pilgrimage on a train and bus tour organized by the Indian government to many of the famous places of the founder, Gautama Buddha. The tour follows much of this route, to places including the historical Buddha's birthplace at Lumbini (now in Nepal), the location of his Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree of Bodhgaya, the place of Buddha's First Teaching at the Deer Park in Sarnath, the site of so many Mahayana Sutras upon Vulture Peak near Rajgir, the Holy City of Benares (Varanase) on the Ganges, the traditional site of the Buddha's Pari-Nirvana upon death at Kushinaga, and other places too.

But since I am going all the way to India (my first time), I have decided to explore a bit of the country and its other religious traditions for a couple of weeks before. For this, I am putting aside the formal tours, reviving my old backpacker days, and hitting the road on my own. (Actually, John, a friend of 35 years from my college days got the crazy idea to fly from the other side of the world and come with me the first week. I said, "John, let's wander around India a bit". He said, "Sure, if you say wander around India, let's wander India!" You don't get friends in life like that too often.) I'm travelling with 4 t-shirts, a couple of pants and such, my toothbrush, a razor, a couple of guidebooks, my Rakusu and not much more (okay, a smart phone too!). What I have done is pick some special events, religious celebrations and sites to get a small taste of the unbelievable complexity of Bharat (what the Indians call India, by the way. I have spent the last few months reading whatever I could find on the history, religions, customs and such of India, and in some ways I think I know less now than when I started! )

Some of the small highlights include a visit to witness the festival of Guru Nanak Jayanti, celebrating the birthday of the founder of Sikhism, featuring amazing demonstrations of the Sikh martial art of Gatka. Here is a taste (I promise to keep a small distance from the live swords and the mace) ...

We are off to visit the Sufis, and the Koranic singing known as Qawwali at Delhi's Hazrat Nizamuddin Mosque (it rocks) ...

Then, we are off to the desert town of Bundi Rajastan for a few days (Here are some images of the town of Bundi itself) ...

... where a very local festival of Rajastani music, dance and sports happens called the Bundi Ustav ...

Then a few days rest in the Hindu sacred town of Pushkar, sitting meditation with a Guru there called Swamiji (don't worry, I am just seeing how the other half lives a bit)

Swamiji ... he's the guru on the left ... (I wonder if that nice watch is guaranteed for all eternity?)

So, I will take all of you along, and we will sit together next to the Bodhi Tree with fellow Buddhist folks from many places ...

Master Dogen wrote this, shortly after his own return home from travels across the sea ...

In general, in our world and others, in both India and China, all equally hold the buddha-seal. While each lineage expresses its own style, they are all simply devoted to sitting, totally blocked in resolute stability. Although they say that there are ten thousand distinctions and a thousand variations, they just wholeheartedly engage the way in zazen. Why leave behind the seat in your own home to wander in vain through the dusty realms of other lands? If you make one misstep, you stumble past what is directly in front of you.
    Namaste, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-07-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Don't Leave!

I imagine we will be very safe in the hands of the unsui and I don't think anyone has immediate plans to hold a huge party in the zendo while you are gone.

Happy travels and I look forward to hearing of your experiences. It is amazing how many spiritual traditions have come out of that one country, including our own.

Btw, while you are there beware of the phenomenon known as the English cricket fan. England are currently touring India and have a dedicated possé of loyal followers called The Barmy Army. Generally harmless, they can usually at least be counted upon to stand you a beer.

आप की यात्रा सुखद हो (āp kī yātrā sukhad ho - have a good journey!)
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Eishuu
    Wishing you a wonderful trip Jundo!

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

Mp
    Wow, a wonderful opportunity Jundo, very happy and excited for you! Look forward to the wonderful stories when you return. =)

Also, I look forward to helping and supporting ALL of you in anyway that I can while Jundo is off Global Trotting ... if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, always here for you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Have a good trip Jundo

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Happy Trails Jundo!

(Who's turn is it to buy the beer for the party while he's gone? I think Shingen bought it last time....)

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hello,

Happy trails.

May you always be 'at home'.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    (Who's turn is it to buy the beer for the party while he's gone? I think Shingen bought it last time....)
    You ain't foolin' anyone Shugen, we know what your Ango commitments include.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Have a great trip, Jundo! We'll be looking forward to reading from you when you get back

Gassho,
    Andoitz.

SatToday.
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Wow! Have a good journey and safe return, Jundo!
    Looking forward to further news about the trip.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday

So exciting! Have a great time and be safe. We'll miss you!

I think I've read the Gita three to five times. I used to be a little yogi, myself, and had endless fascination for Hinduism. It'll be a good talk.

Gassho,sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Have a good trip!

Gassho
    Adam
    Sattoday

Safe and pleasant travels. I hope you enjoy the festivities, gain many insights and avoid stomach issues! Bring your own medicine (Advil, Imodium, etc.).

I am looking forward to seeing your posts and hearing your stories upon your return.

Gassho,
    Seido,
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    You ain't foolin' anyone Shugen, we know what your Ango commitments include.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Have a great trip, Jundo.
    Gassho,
    Alex
    Sat

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    Happy Trails Jundo!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Ok Sekishi, Shugen's cut off this party time! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a blast from the past!

Have fun.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Happy Travels Jundo
    Varanasi is magical, I recommend watching the sunrise over the Ganges if you get the chance.

gassho

saTToday

Wonderful. Safe journey.

Gassho
    Doshin
    sattoday

Have a safe and illuminating trip...

Gassho

Roland
    #SatToday

Joyo
    Happy and safe travels to you, Jundo. May you have a wonderful trip filled with many wonderful experiences.

Don't worry about those party animal priests, I think a few of us here will make sure they stay in line. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Oh I hope you have a wonderful time Jundo. Safe travels!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Wow! What an amazing trip. Looking forward to reading all about it. Safe travels!

Gassho,

Tara

Namaste Jundo and have a wonderful time. I traveled to India several times and had the most amazing experiences; enjoyed every minute, except the malaria, so stay healthy and I look forward to hearing/reading about your travels.
    Gassho,
    Marina
    sat today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Jundo that sounds like so much fun! Have a great time!

Gassho

Risho
    -sattoday

Wishing you safe travels and a good time!

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Wow.
    Safe travels!

Gassho, Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Travel safe and come back refreshed (spiritually). Look forward to the travelogues when the opportunities arise.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

safe travels and hopefully your mew hat is bent the right way. Have fun

Gassho

MyoHo
    Mu

Sounds wonderful - have a safe trip and look forward to hearing all about it.

Willow/Jinyo

Have an amazing time Jundo. We'll mind the shop, collect the mail and water the plants ... and Treeleaf will be here in one piece when you return.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Have a wonderful trip Jundo!

Gassho
    Mike
    Sat2day

Maybe now is a good time to implement the April 1st initiative that Jundo keeps talking about every year - namely, no more chanting or sitting right? I mean we're all Buddha's, time to let the proverbial "wind" fan itself? hahahah

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Travel well and may you return with much wisdom

nine bows

sat Today
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Kyotai
    Enjoy your trip and travel safe.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Dear All,

Well, I am about out the door, heading for the airport. Catch ya in a while crocodile (which, by the way, they really have in the river of the town where I am heading next week. I won't be swimming.)

Among other perils, welcome to our dystopian future: Delhi is suffering a freak smog alert this week that is setting records, enough for me to consult with my doctor before going, and to invest in industrial n95 face masks.

CNN: New Delhi is the most polluted city on Earth right now
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/07/as...ion/index.html

India's capital is choking under off-the-charts smog, with some parts of the city reporting levels almost five times those considered "unhealthy" by the US environmental protection agency. ... Measurements taken at the US Embassy in Delhi put the city's Air Quality Index at 999 on Monday, off the standard chart, which finishes at the "hazardous" level of 500. By comparison, the highest AQI level recorded Monday in Baoding -- China's most polluted city -- was 298.
    No problem: Until I head out of Delhi into the Dessert, don't drink the water, don't eat raw vegetables, and don't breathe!

(Let's also hope that the EPA isn't about to be eliminated in the USA)

I will leave you with a rather acerbic comment I found by Master Dogen on what he thought of pilgrims to India ... It is the grumpier version of his "Why leave behind the seat in your own home to wander in vain through the dusty realms of other lands? If you make one misstep, you stumble past what is directly in front of you" that I posted above. He didn't even mention the pollution ... (from Shobogenzo-Gyoki):

... there were some who went to India. What was the use of that? It was the most extreme stupidity. Led by bad karma, they wandered astray through foreign lands. With every step they were proceeding along the wrong path of insulting the Dharma; with every step they were fleeing from their father’s homeland. What was to be gained by their going to India? Only hardship and privation in the mountains and the waters. They did not study the principle that the Western Heavens (India) had come to the east (China) and they did not clarify the eastward advance of the Buddha-Dharma, and so they uselessly lost their way in India. They have reputations as seekers of the Buddha-Dharma but they did not have any will to the truth with which to pursue the Buddha-Dharma, and so they did not meet a true teacher even in India. They only met fruit lessly with teachers of sutras and teachers of commentaries. The reason is that they did not have the right state of mind with which to pursue the right Dharma, and so—even though authentic teachers were still present in India—those [wanderers] did not get their hands upon the authentic Dharma. Some who went to India claimed to have met true teachers
    there [but] no mention was ever heard of who those teachers were. If they had met true teachers, they would naturally name some names. There was no [meeting] and so there has been no naming.
    I guess it is just my own stupidity and bad Karma leads me to sully the Dharma so. Oh well, time to get going.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-10-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Dear All,

Well, I am about out the door, heading for the airport. Catch ya in a while crocodile (which, by the way, they really have in the river of the town where I am heading next week. I won't be swimming.)

Among other perils, welcome to our dystopian future: Delhi is suffering a freak smog alert this week that is setting records, enough for me to consult with my doctor before going, and to invest in industrial n95 face masks.

CNN: New Delhi is the most polluted city on Earth right now
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/07/as...ion/index.html

No problem: Until I head out of Delhi into the Dessert, don't drink the water, don't eat raw vegetables, and don't breathe!

I will leave you with a rather acerbic comment I found by Master Dogen on what he thought of pilgrims to India ... It is the grumpier version of his "Why leave behind the seat in your own home to wander in vain through the dusty realms of other lands? If you make one misstep, you stumble past what is directly in front of you" that I posted above. He didn't even mention the pollution ... (from Shobogenzo-Gyoki):

I guess it is just my own stupidity and bad Karma leads me to sully the Dharma so. Oh well, time to get going.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    You rebel, you!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Hello,

Fare well.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Have a great trip, dear Jundo! Wishing you good travels, safe passage, lots of luck, and lots of wonder. Miss you already, but we will be fine, now go have fun!

Gassho
    Byokan
    sat today

p.s. watch out for the vindaloo!
    Last edited by Byokan; 11-09-2016 at 08:51 PM.

Dear All.

It is hard to believe I have been travelling just a week. Seems fast and ages longer all at once. So much experienced each day, so many new things. Nothing I can say can convey this place, nor scratch the surface of its complexity. The little I learn, that much more I do not know. I am trying to taste a bit of Indian culture, both good and bad, beautiful and ugly. I am not sure how things compare now to in the Buddha's time, but today screams "Samsara" wherever I look.

There is grinding poverty, yet most people strike me as about as happy or sad in mood as folks in the suburbs of middle class America. People work hard here, unbelievably hard and and long and they are industrious. It puts to rest any assertion that poor people are poor for lack of trying, but instead, lack of opportunity and social systems keep them so. Many just don't get paid a lot for their industry and unbelievable long hours. It is a place of class and caste and rich and poor, where beggars sit in front of walled private residential compounds for the wealthy, and Mercedes with drivers rush through traffic alongside pedal rickshaws and woman balancing the day's wares on their heads.

And the traffic! In Delhi, no formal rules that I can see, buses zig zagging in front of bicycles and pedestrians, stop signals and lane markers are just an option. Cars come from every direction, cows wander many roads, and the individual brains of tens of thousands of drivers somehow keep each from crashing into each other in the chaos. There are rules, but unwritten. This in not my film (I cannot access my pictures now), but one someone took ...

Delhi also experienced pollution literally off the scale while I was there, up to five times what doctors consider safe levels ...

http://www.ecowatch.com/most-pollute...083377091.html

It left me with a hacking cough, my industrial level facemask black (as are probably my insides even with wearing it). The pedalcab drivers just breathe it in as they sweat down the roads. Environmental laws as loosely enforced as traffic laws. There are runs on the banks too, long lines snaking in front as folks try to get their cash ... all breathing this stuff.

It has left me tremendously grateful for a western economic system that has somehow organized society, labor and resources to bring unprecedented levels of wealth to people. Even America's poorest have access to material goods that only the upper classes have here. We have developed so much in science and industry. At the same time, we are unhappy so often, complaining about our "first world" problems like bad internet connections, office promotions and health care premiums. Modern "Samsara". We should appreciate more what we have. We don't. We are foolish (although, my belief is that homo sapiens are hard wired never to be fully satisfied even if becoming kings or Hollywood celebrities, scaling Mt. Everest or winning a Noble Prize ... we still find some dissatisfaction which drives us on. Zazen is the medicine for that, allow us satisfaction and dissatisfaction at once, being still and moving forward as one. However, enough about that). We should cherish the environment, clean air and water, too.

I was able to witness a parade held by the Seikh community to celebrate their founding Guru. It was amazing, snaking through the streets of Delhi for miles and miles, I walked the whole thing through neighborhoods I would usually never think to enter. I went to see the Taj Mahal (it is beautiful), but was touched far more by the burning bodies on pyres next to the river, ashes being scattered, that my friend and I stumbled on during a short hike which followed. The Indians did not seem to mind our presence as we took a wrong turn, but we discreetly Gasshoed and went on our way.

Today I am out of Delhi (breathing a better) in the small country town of Bundi, for a festival of Rajastani dance and sports. Looking forward to that, and to moving on to the sacred Hindu town of Pushkar to sit in quiet contemplation for a few days next to the world's only temple to Brahma before moving on to the Buddhist pilgrimage part of my travels. Nothing to complain about.

On another note, I have been looking in on the forum from time to time. It is now in the fine and guiding hands of Kyonin, Shokai, Shingen, Shugen, Daizan and Sekishi.

I am concerned by the level of discourse in some of the threads, especially those with regard to American politics. There is an Emptiness which transcends all thoughts of left and right and middle, win and lose, social policy choices. Yet, we simultaneously live in a world where people will disagree, and choices have to be made about social policy, left right and middle. Choice have to be made that impact all citizens and the whole world, for good and bad in the future. No problem, for we transcend all choices and thoughts of right vs. wrong, yet make choices and have beliefs on right vs. wrong at once (this is our Zenny Way of choiceless choices). Stand up for what you believe, and sit down in Zazen too! HOWEVER, in doing so, good and gentle speech must be maintained in this place. Our Community has only one rule besides sitting Zazen each day, and that is to use gentle, softly spoken and humbly asserted, kind and understanding speech with each other even when topics can be the object of serious disagreement. I will ask our priests who are in charge of this Forum to take a firmer hand if anyone forgets that.

I also continue to offer metta and to sit for the folks here, and I am still around even if just a bit quiet and observant during travels.

More soon.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

PS - I visited a wonderful charity for the runaway kids who end up living around Delhi station. Supported by folks of many religions here, affiliated with none in particular. They get the kids some healthcare, education and friendship on bare bones and shoe strings. They claim to reach 60% of such kids to get them some assistance and a safe place to go. Please consider a donation through their paypal if it moves you.

http://www.salaambaalaktrust.com/who-we-are.html

http://www.salaambaalaktrust.com/what-we-do.html
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-17-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Mp
    WOW Jundo, what an amazing experience you have had thus far, sounds exciting and frightening at the same time. I am glad you are doing well and have some cleaner air to breathe. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your journey with us ... wonderful! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Kyotai
    Thank you for the update. Safe travels.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Thank you Jundo, sounds intense! Your words remind me to spend more time being grateful for what I have and not to fret about how I wish it would be--e.g. Dukkha 101. But yes wherever we are there is the opportunity to make things better for others.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo. Your account of life in Delhi leaves me with guilt as I tuck my kids into their warm beds, and look forward to a walk with my dog tomorrow morning, being able to enjoy the fresh air and beautiful environment.

Metta to all. These people of India and their stories of life and struggles for survival will be near to my heart in the days to come.

Enjoy your pilgrimage, Jundo. Happy and safe travels to you.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thanks for the update Jundo.
    Much metta for the millions enduring less than optimum conditions all around our planet.

Gassho,

sat Today
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Hi Jundo, nice to hear from you. Sounds like you're having a great trip. Look forward to hearing more.
    I'm still laughing in my head at your comment about not being a big curry guy... I've got the image of you as the stereotypical 120 lbs yogi in the next zazenkai
    Safe travels.
    Gassho,
    Alex
    Sat

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thanks for such a wonderful update. Guess things get put truly in perspective when you see these things first hand. I had many colleagues visit India when the company I used to work for, moved much of its IT development from Hongkong, never went myself but their stories, like your, made me appreciate how lucky some of are in the "west". We have so much but most of the time are so miserable. Go figure, guess I'll just sit some more.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you for the update, Jundo. It sounds really interesting and intense. Thank you too for reminding us how lucky we are, although we seem to forget it every now and then. Looking forward to reading more about your experience.

Gassho,
    Andoitz.

SatToday.
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Safe travels. Am reading about the Bauls, a tribe of India. They sing and dance and celebrate life .

SAT today

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Hi Jundo!

Thank you for the update. Seems like a life changing experience!

Keep safe and enjoy the trip.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast