Thread: Zen On Wheels (Excerpts From Daikan Rising Crow)

Zen On Wheels (Excerpts From Daikan Rising Crow)

For those of you who don't know me yet, my name is Daikan Rising Crow. I'm a Zen Buddhist from Williamsport, Pennsylvania and I have severe Cerebral Palsy. Jundo has asked me to post often so that the sangha can get to know me better. I type with my head using a headpointer that I designed myself and use a power wheelchair to motor around town and my apartment. Since zen is found in everyday life, Jundo & I feel that sharing my everyday experiences would be beneficial to others here. My profile has my basic information so there is no need to repeat it here. I will however say that I live in a building which is highly unsupportive to my practice yet sometimes this is my best teacher. Drugs, alcohol, prostitution, you name it, it is here! Buddhism is the last thing anyone has heard of here. So it would be great to make friends of like mind on here too. To all the zen ladies, there's no Mrs. Rising Crow so it is safe to reply to me. Nobody will whack me with a rolling pin for conversing in the Dharma. To all the guys, I'm straight forward about everything. So feel free to talk to me.
    So to start, let me share a story that happened to me just the other day. As I mentioned above, my power wheelchair is my only means of moving around at all. So the other day I was returning home from the market and got within half a block of my building when the sky opened up and it started pouring! Now rain doesn't bother me but it shorts out the joystick that controls the wheelchair. Usually it is covered with a plastic bag, but that day it wasn't so water got in it and it shorted out at the worst possible time, bedtime! I always put myself in bed after my caregiver leaves. So as usual I went to drive in the bedroom to transfer into bed when three feet from the bed the chair just stops. I tried to get it to move for half an hour but to no avail. Finally, I was forced to give up and sleep wrapped in a blanket on the concrete floor which is covered by just a thin rough carpet. Needless to say it was horribly uncomfortable! My caregiver returned the next morning shocked to find me on the floor but we both just started laughing at the ridiculousness of life! We found a spare joystick and put it on until we can get it replaced. I'm extremely grateful to be able to move around!
    Zen is about being where you are in every moment good, bad,or neutral. I did not like sleeping on the floor, but that is where I was at that moment. I moaned and groaned a bit, but it didn't help. So this is the first except from Zen On Wheels .. More to come soon..........
    Last edited by RisingCrow; 10-24-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Mp
    Hello Daikan and thank you for sharing Zen on Wheels. I am happy that you are here and look forward to sharing with each other. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Welcome Diakan! How wonderful to have you with us, I look forward to reading your book and reading your posts. Gee I was thinking Sesshin was challenging, but they didn't make us sleep on the floor. Now that's real practice!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Excepts from Zen On Wheels; now he tells us, after I bought the book (just kidding Daikan)
    Years ago Jundo asked me to post excerpts from my day to day life as an aging person but I could never
    tell about the boring aches and pains the way you have just inspired us with. keep 'em coming, you have
    a way with words. btw, you'll notice we do a lot of gasshos in our posts and mention that we sat today.
    there is a thread somewhere about that.
    Take care and gassho, Shokai

sat Today
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

It's great to have you around and very inspiring, Daikan. Please, keep your stories coming.

Gassho,
    Andoitz.

SatToday.
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Thank you for being here, Daikan, and for sharing the Zen on Wheels.

Deep bows

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday

Hi Daikan

Thank you so much for sharing parts of your life. It is greatly appreciated. Zen on wheels even runs without batteries

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Hello Daikan and many thanks for sharing. Your positivity, humour and gratitude to life even in the most difficult of circumstances are an inspiration.

Gassho
    Cathy
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by RisingCrow View Post
    Zen is about being where you are in every moment good, bad,or neutral. I did not like sleeping on the floor, but that is where I was at that moment. I moaned and groaned a bit, but it didn't help.
    Hi Daikan,

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I look forward to reading more Zen on Wheels. Deep bows to you.

Matt
    #SatToday

Thank you for sharing this Daikan, you are truly inspiring and I hope to read more 'Zen on Wheels '
    Gassho
    Marina
    sat today

Let me repost here the introduction I posted for Daikan in the New Members thread ...

--------------------------

I would like to introduce a new Treeleaf member: Daikan Rising Crow (Jesse).

Daikan is a 47 year-old zen Buddhist with severe Cerebral Palsy from Wiliamsport, PA who received Jukai from his original teacher Rev. Dai-En Bennage over 20 years ago, and has also practiced in recent times with her disciple Rev. Daishin McCabe. Because getting around to Practice is a small issue for Daikan, Rev. Bennage and Rev. McCabe introduced Daikan here.

Daikan employs his unique situation as a Buddhist w/ Cerebral Palsy to help inspire others with & without disabilities, and I am currently reading his book written some years ago, A Mind On Wheels. It is available on Kindle, and I recommend it to all of you.

https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Wheels-I.../dp/B01ASCZJCI

He describes himself:

Throughout life I’ve become many things including a father, horticulturist, author, and national wheelchair bodybuilding champion. However, despite all these titles, my true passion is to use the gifts I’ve been blessed with to share these blessings with others with and without disabilities.
    He is also an artist photographer. He apologizes if his messages are short, and for spelling because "I type w/ a headpointer so forgive the short cuts. My neck gets pretty sore after a while."

Welcome to Rising Crow (a name from his native American heritage)

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-23-2022 at 02:39 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Daikan,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Yes, sometimes life gifts us with these kind of experiences but it's always up to us to actually pierce through the comedy of it all.

I'm glad you are fine. And I am very happy you are here with us.

Welcome home, brother

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you, Daikan,

Your work does inspire me. I look forward to your posts.

Gassho

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you for being here with us, Daikan.

Your nick "Rising Crow" reminded me of a Carlos Castañeda book and his experiences with Don Juan.

Also what you said in your video is truly important and profound to me. A true artist creates for its deep urge to do so, to express, and not to achieve money or recognizing... beautiful.

Thank you.

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Eishuu
    Thank you so much for sharing that excerpt. I found it incredibly inspiring. Great to have you here.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

Thank you Daikan
    Gassho
    Sat today

Gassho Daikan; to echo everyone else I'm very thankful for you here. I look forward to more of your posts!

Gassho

Risho
    -sattoday

What they said...thank you for the time and effort needed to share your zen with us. It was a great read!

Perhaps an emergency mattress for any future shorts?

Diarmuid

ST

Dear Daikan,

Thank you for posting on Treeleaf! I am looking forward to reading more from Zen On Wheels and the lessons you show us all.

May you be happy.

Joko

Thank you for your post Daikan.

I was just thinking last night after a really good day that my zazen practice was kicking in to help ground me from being to overjoyous. After typing that, and thinking back to all the good news yesterday, it didn't phase me too much at all actually.

Which is similar, I think, to what you said about; "Zen is about being where you are in every moment good, bad,or neutral."

I've had this experience of being present, and thankfully calm due to practice while people yelled at me because they can't get their way. Or worse, pleasantly making mean comments. I've also had to do first aid on people in really bad emotional times, and my practice seems to kick in whether I recognize it or not.

I'm grateful that your experiences with zazen have echoed my experiences as well.

All the best

Thanks

Chris Schell

Sat today.

Thanks for sharing.

Leo,
    Gassho,
    sattoday