Thread: [Engaged] Combat Flip Flops

[Engaged] Combat Flip Flops

Hello, fellow Treeleafers!

First off, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so forgive me if this is better suited for a different section of the forum.

"They say there is a correlation between generosity and guilt." This is a line from the movie Captain America: Civil War, spoken to Tony Stark, by a mother whose son was killed by collateral damage when the Avengers intervened in the battle of Sokovia. Whether or not we entirely agree with the mother's statement, it nonetheless makes me pause and reflect upon my own "bootprint" left in Afghanistan. Did I leave it better or worse? That's not really what this post is about, but in trying to answer this question for myself I came upon a website that is starting to excite me, and has the potential to help me answer my question.

It's also just pretty cool.

From their website:

The Mission

To create peaceful, forward-thinking opportunities for self-determined entrepreneurs affected by conflict. Our willingness to take bold risks, community connection, and distinct designs communicate, "Business, Not Bullets"--flipping the view on how wars are won. Through persistence, respect, and creativity, we empower the mindful consumer to manufacture peace through trade.

As Army Rangers with several Afghanistan tours behind them, Griff and Lee saw a country filled with hard-working, creative people who wanted jobs, not handouts.

Flip flops were just the start. We've taken a product that people in nearly every country on the planet wear, and made it a weapon for change. Right now, all our flip flops are made in Bogota, Colombia, providing jobs and investing in people who desperately need it. We've done that with all the products we sell.

Our USA made Claymore Bag's flip the script, on traditional weapons of war. Instead of carrying bombs, these bags act as a carry-all for business tools like iPad's, laptops and more.

Our Cover and Concealment sarongs are handmade in Afghanistan by local women. Each one takes three days to make, and each sale puts an Afghan girl into secondary school for a week.

The Peacemaker Bangle and Coinwrap are sent to us straight from artisans in Laos - and they're made from bombs. Each bracelet sold clears 3 square meters of Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) from a region rocked by long-term war - saving lives and providing economic opportunity.

Unapologetically, we make cool stuff in dangerous places.
    We do this because it's our job to show others what's possible, then encourage them to join us.

Welcome to the Unarmed Forces.

Below is a TED talk by Combat Flip Flop co-founder, Matthew Griffin who describes the idea behind the company's origination:

They also partner with the following charities:

Aid Afghanistan for Education (AAE)

Mines Advisory Group
    Team 5

(medical foundation)

You can read more about the charities HERE.

Anyway, I thought this was one of many ways I could start offsetting my combat bootprint in Afghanistan. If you have time, check out their website and see what you think of their operation.

Gassho,
    Eric

#ST
    Sat Today

Thank you for the information Eric. It seems like a wonderful organization. It is amazing what people can do.

Gassho,

Shugen

sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Thank you Eric,

Sounds like a great organization and wonderful cause. I have to say as well, Matthew Griffin's story was quite eye opening.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi Eric,

Nice coping mechanisms that come to mind regarding your post -

Acceptance: A person's assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition (often a difficult or uncomfortable situation) without attempting to change it, protest, or exit. Religions and psychological treatments often suggest the path of acceptance when a situation is both disliked and unchangeable, or when change may be possible only at great cost or risk.

Forgiveness: Cessation of resentment, indignation or anger as a result of a perceived offence, disagreement, or mistake, or ceasing to demand retribution or restitution.

Humility: A mechanism by which a person, considering their own defects, has a humble self-opinion. Humility is intelligent self-respect which keeps one from thinking too highly or too meanly of oneself.

Mindfulness: Adopting a particular orientation toward one’s experiences in the present moment, an orientation that is characterized by curiosity, openness, and acceptance.

Sublimation: Transformation of unhelpful emotions or instincts into healthy actions, behaviors, or emotions, for example, playing a heavy contact sport such as football or rugby can transform aggression into a game.

Good for you.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Lovely. Turning pain and ugliness into a spur for healing and good. In my heart, I believe that we should drop fewer bombs when we can, build more schools and hospitals around the world when we can. I know few people overseas who come to love America and the other Western countries for the number of bombs we drop, but so many thousands and thousands I have met who love what we stand for in the good, opportunity and charity we can offer.

In preparation for my trip to India, I am now watching a prize winning Indian film on this very theme that I recommend to all of you. (I won't tell you too much to spoil it, as the story is much more complex that the below description. I think it is online).
    A village in India is invigorated when one of their own journeys to America and details his adventures through letters home. ... marries themes of aspirational 'migration' with coming of age and cultural traditions that are broken ... The greater themes resonate because Nair has managed to incorporate several big and abstract topics into a story in which they become highly personal for the characters. ... Umrika achieves remarkable power as a story by concentrating its view of America through the eyes of people who have never been there.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/umrika/

Of course, I look forward to the day when all live in peace, leading peaceful and healthy lives with sufficient opportunity, so that none of this is necessary.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-20-2016 at 07:22 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I believe that we should drop fewer bombs when we can, build more schools and hospitals around the world when we can.
    _/|\_

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Deep bows

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday