Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Special Zazenkai SATURDAY 10/15 w/ Myozan Kodo

Announcement: Special Zazenkai SATURDAY 10/15 w/ Myozan Kodo

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that our old Treeleaf friend and Taigu's heir, Myozan Kodo Kilroy, now guiding the Zen Buddhism Ireland Sangha in Dublin, will be joining us for a very special Zazenkai and Talk SATURDAY OCTOBER 15th, LIVE. Please come sit with us.

Zen Budhism Ireland is an Irish-based Buddhist sangha of practitioners in the Soto Zen tradition, belonging to the lineage of Nishijima Roshi. It is part of the ‘Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage’ Sangha. Zen Buddhism Ireland practices Soto Zen Buddhism with an emphasis on Shikantaza, ‘just sitting’ meditation. They also honour the traditional ritual forms of Zen practice, especially with a devotion to sewing the Okesa, the Buddha’s robe, the robe of Zazen (http://www.zenbuddhism.ie/).
    Myozan is also a poet and the author of Three Rock Sonnets, among other writings ...

Three Rock Sonnets is a series of 108 poems written by Soto Zen Buddhist priest Myozan Kodo. Ranging from intimate lyrics drawing on family life to meditations on the ineffable mystery of things, these poems belong to that ancient Zen tradition of contemplating the unutterable in verse. Including elegies for the poets Seamus Heaney and Allen Ginsberg, Three Rock Sonnets is a collection with electric concerns: from the discovery of the Higgs Boson at CERN, to the ancient riddles or koans of the Zen Buddhist tradition. In a way, these 108 poems are a devotional act. They are prostrations to the mystery that lies at the heart of reality itself, and to the great ‘Triple Gem’ of Buddhism: the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. Three Rock Sonnets is a collection that keeps faith with reality as we find it, despite the trials and challenges that face us, individually and collectively, at this moment in our shared destiny.
    (Available at Amazon by clicking here...)
    The Zazenkai will be at the following times on Saturday October 15th, lasting about 90 minutes or so. (We apologize that the times are a bit early for the American West Coast) ...

The festivities will begin at at 12 noon in Dublin/8pm in Japan (that is New York 7am, Los Angeles 4am, London 12 noon and Paris 1pm, all Saturday October 15th)]. Our sitting schedule will look like this ... perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Myozan for 25 minutes or so, and some Questions from our participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to a bit longer, depending on the Q&A.

The Zazenkai can be viewed 'one way' LIVE at that time at the following screen, and in recorded form at any time thereafter:

HOW TO JOIN OUR ZAZENKAI LIVE:

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE LIVE 'TWO-WAY' BY GOOGLE+ HANGOUT:

If you feel you are a person who would like to attend, are familiar with Google+/Hangouts, and have a reliable computer and good internet connection, please post in this thread that you would like to attend and can commit to attend at that time. (If you have any question on how to sign up for Google+, please PM SHUGEN or SHINGEN and we will do our best to get you up to speed by Saturday)

We have 8 seats in the Hangout. We will also accept a waiting list of folks in case there is need. I will announce Hangout assignments this weekend, and provide further instructions for getting in. If there is demand, I will try to host a second hangout simultaneously as well.

If you wish to sit live, but only One Way instead of Two Way, the Zazenkai will be livecast on Youtube for one way viewing at the above screen, and I will be accepting Questions for Myozan via email during the Zazenkai, if you have. Remember, our way is "Not One Not Two Way!"

It would be great to fill our hangouts and have a big turnout. If you are interested and commit can come, please post in this thread. It will be worth your time.

Please make sure you state clearly "have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout". Otherwise I will be confused about who is joining one way.

It is always a pleasure to welcome an old friend and catch up.

Gassho, Jundo

MYOZANZENKAI HANGOUT 2-WAY PARTICIPANTS LIST:

Based on current requests, I have created a circle that has the following folks. You should all receive an email invitation about 10 minutes before start time OR (if you cannot find that) Shingen will post a link to join in this thread shortly before start time.

Remember that I will also be taking questions from oneway folks at jundotreeleaf@gmail.com (Please do not send now, wait until the Q&A starts after Myozan's Talk).

1-Marcos
    2-Jika
    3-Shingen
    4-Kyonin
    5-Daizan
    6-Sekishi
    7-Jundo
    8-Myozan

We still have a couple of spaces if folks want to join.

Gassho, Jundo
    SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-14-2016 at 03:45 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Ahh, this is wonderful, thank you Jundo for making this possible, it will be great to see him ... I will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hi Jundo. Thank you for this opportunity. I have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout this special Zazenkai, live (and maybe ask some questions...)

Looking forward for that.

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Hi Jundo!

Thank you for bringing him in. It will be great to sit with him again.

Please count me in for the event or give my seat to someone else. In any case I'll be available.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Yay! Thank you Jundo.

Oy, 3am here. Will be there one-way, a little groggy.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Unfortunately I will be in Georgia for a wedding. I have very fond memories of sitting together during the DC retreat. Please give him my best wishes!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

12 noon in Dublin/8pm in Japan (that is New York 7am, Los Angeles 4am, London 12 noon and Paris 4pm, all Saturday October 15th)
    I guess there's a typo: London/Dublin noon is Paris 1pm (13:00).

I have G+ and would like to join 2-way.

Looking forward to this. Thank you.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Haven't seen him in a while! Looking forward to it.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I'm really looking forward to this. Thank you.
    Gassho
    Daizan
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Jika View Post
    I guess there's a typo: London/Dublin noon is Paris 1pm (13:00).

I have G+ and would like to join 2-way.

Looking forward to this. Thank you.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    Thank you Jika. It is fixed.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Yes I will be there 2-way!

Gassho,
    Jimmy
    Sattoday

Phooey I will be at work. Looking forward to watching the recording though!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aw, phooey too, I will be traveling and staying at a place without internet all that weekend.

But, we'll all be together beyond space and time, as always.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Joyo
    This may be the day of my son's birthday party. If so, I will sit with the recording, either way I will be there.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Encounter Bay, South Australia, Australia
    I've just bought the Three Rock Sonnets on Kindle. These are wonderful poems. Highly recommended!

I’ll be there, but one way.

Gassho
    Brucef
    Sat today

Very nice Anneliese.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Thank you, Jundo. I'll be away on that day and will watch the recording later.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST

ALL ABOARD, LAST CALL ...

... for Myozan this weekend. I will make the "two-way" sitting group tomorrow, try to get as many folks who requested in as I can. Invitations will be sent by email, please look for them in the coming day.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    ALL ABOARD, LAST CALL ...

... for Myozan this weekend. I will make the "two-way" sitting group tomorrow, try to get as many folks who requested in as I can. Invitations will be sent by email, please look for them in the coming day.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Thank you Jundo, I am looking forward to it, so please count me in! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I will make the "two-way" sitting group tomorrow, try to get as many folks who requested in as I can. Invitations will be sent by email, please look for them in the coming day.
    I'd love to be there two-way if there is an available seat, but if not please give that spot to someone else.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Last edited by Sekishi; 10-14-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi Jundo,

Please count me in. But if you need to give my seat to someone else, please do. I will still be live one-way.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Ah, shoot, it's too early for me. will join in later, though!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

A change in plans will mean that I have to sit this later in the evening on Saturday.

Gassho,
    Jimmy
    Sattoday

MYOZANZENKAI HANGOUT 2-WAY PARTICIPANTS LIST:

Based on current requests, I have created a circle that has the following folks. You should all receive an email invitation about 10 minutes before start time OR (if you cannot find that) Shingen will post a link to join in this thread shortly before start time.

Remember that I will also be taking questions from oneway folks at jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com (Please do not send now, wait until the Q&A starts after Myozan's Talk).

1-Marcos
    2-Jika
    3-Shingen
    4-Kyonin
    5-Daizan
    6-Sekishi
    7-Jundo
    8-Myozan

We still have a couple of spaces if folks want to join.

Gassho, Jundo
    SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-14-2016 at 03:44 AM.

Hi friends

I'll have a compromise tonight, so I don't know if I'll be able to join two-way as I said before.

Probably I'll have to seat with this later...

So, please, I'm asking Jundo to give my "seat" to another brother/sister.

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

READINGS FOR TODAY'S ZAZENKAI with MYOZAN:

From Master Dogen's Shobogenzo-Ikka-no-myōju (One Bright Pearl)

http://21dzk.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp/BDK/bdk...al&num=B2582_1

(translation by Gudo Wafu Nishijima & Chodo Cross)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day, in order to explore widely the surround-
    ing districts, he leaves the mountain, carrying a [traveling] bag. But as he
    does so, he stubs his toe on a stone. Bleeding and in great pain, [Master Gen-
    sha] all at once seriously reflects as follows: “[They say] this body is not real
    existence. Where does the pain come from?” He thereupon returns to Seppō.
    Seppō asks him, “What is it, Bi of the dhūta?”7 Gensha says, “In the end I
    just cannot be deceived by others.”8 Seppō, loving these words very much,
    says, “Is there anyone who does not have these words [inside them]? [But]
    is there anyone who can speak these words?” Seppō asks further, “Bi of the
    dhūta, why do you not go exploring?”9 Master [Gensha] says, “Bodhi dharma
    did not come to the Eastern Lands; the Second Patriarch did not go to the
    Western Heavens.”10 Seppō praised this very much. In his usual life as a fish-
    erman [Master Gensha] had never seen sutras and texts even in a dream.
    Nevertheless, profundity of will being foremost, his outstanding resolve
    made itself apparent. Seppō himself considered [Gensha] to be outstanding
    among the sangha; he praised [Gensha] as the preeminent member of the
    order. [Gensha] used vegetable cloth for his one robe, which he never replaced,
    but patched hundreds of times. Next to his skin he wore clothes of paper, or
    wore moxa.11 Apart from serving in Seppō's order, he never visited another
    [good] counselor. Nevertheless, he definitely realized the power to succeed
    to the master's Dharma. After he had attained the truth at last, he taught peo-
    ple with the words that the whole universe in ten directions is one bright
    pearl. One day a monk asks him, “I have heard the master's words that the
    whole universe in ten directions is one bright pearl. How should the student
    understand [this]?” The master says, “The whole universe in ten directions
    is one bright pearl. What use is understanding?” On a later day the master
    asks the question back to the monk, “The whole universe in ten directions
    is one bright pearl. How do you understand [this]?” The monk says, “The
    whole universe in ten directions is one bright pearl. What use is under-
    standing?” The master says, “I see that you are struggling to get inside a
    demon's cave in a black mountain.”12

---------------

NOTES:

7 Bizuda. Bi is from the name Shibi. Zuda is from the Sanskrit word dhūta, which
    means ascetic practice. Master Gensha was known for his hard practice, so he got
    the nickname of Bizuda. The twelve dhūta are listed in Chapter Thirty (Vol. II), Gyōji.
    See also LS 2.310.
    8 The expression is ironic. Master Gensha makes it sound as if he would like to be able
    to learn from others, but in the end it is impossible: he can be satisfied not with secondhand
    knowledge but only by experiencing things for himself.
    9 A hensan, or “thorough exploration,” is the title of Chapter Sixty-two (Vol. III). Here
    it is used as a verb, a hensan suru.
    10 Master Bodhidharma actually did come to the Eastern Lands (China), but “Master
    Bodhidharma did not come to the Eastern Lands” suggests that he came to China
    naturally, rather than out of personal intention. The Second Patriarch, Master Taiso
    Eka, did not go to the Western Heavens (India), and “The Second Patriarch did not
    go to the Western Heavens,” suggests similarly that it was natural for him not to go.
    11 Coarse vegetable fiber.
    12 Shinji-shōbōgenzō, pt. 1, no. 15

We still have some seats open if anyone wants to jump in last minute!

Gassho, J

SatToday

Mp
    Hello everyone,

Here is the event link for this zazenkai: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...kseh6bybj2ksee

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

THANK YOU Myozan and Jundo for making this possible.

What a lovely visit and teaching.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Deep bows with deep gratitude.

Daizan

sat today

Mp
    So wonderful, thank you Jundo for making this possible, thank you to Myozan for a lovely talk, and thank you all for your questions and presence! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you so much, Myozan, for the talk and for answering my question and Jika's supplementary one on my behalf!

Although we sit together with no notion of time, it is lovely to be able to sit a zazenkai live with everyone.

Deep bows to you all
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Thank you very much, Myozan.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

How wonderful !
    Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Marina
    Sat Today
    柔 Jyū flexible
    活 Katsu energetic

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you all.

I really enjoyed this.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Deep bows. Thank you all!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you all for making this talk possible and thank you Myozan for this teaching. Like Jika, I struggle with 'understanding' this and will have to listen again to try to make sense.

Thanks to all.

Martyn
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joyo
    I plan on sitting with this as soon as I can next week.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thank you.

Gassho

Doshin

Uuuh, listened to it again and sorry for the long winded Germanish questions!
    It was so difficult to concentrate on what I wanted to say with hearing the distorted echo of my voice coming back.

And: I enjoyed this much more than it looks.
    I was smiling, it's just my camera playing tricks!

Bows to Kyonin who always manages to ask questions in spite of the echo and looks friendly at the same time

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Thank you to Jundo and Myozan and everyone who participated 2-way with their insightful questions.
    Gassho,
    Josan

sattoday
    If you miss the moment, you miss your life - John Daido Loori

Mp
    Not at all Jika, it was great to have you there and thank you for your questions. =) Also, lovely kesa I must say!

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

It was so difficult to concentrate on what I wanted to say with hearing the distorted echo of my voice coming back.

And: I enjoyed this much more than it looks.
    I was smiling, it's just my camera playing tricks!

Bows to Kyonin who always manages to ask questions in spite of the echo and looks friendly at the same time

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    Me? Friendly? Not at all! It's the camera

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Just sat with you all - love the discussion.

Thank you Jundo and Myozan

Gassho,
    Tim
    SatToday

thank you Jundo, Myozan, Shingen and all. I just now got a chance to sit with you. As always, I truly enjoyed Myozan's talk. Ever since he first strolled along the river bank by his house one evening and turned it into one bright pearl of a lesson we could tell that he was destined to become a great teacher. Thank you deeply Reverand Cuz, be safe.

nine bows

sat today
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Myozan, Jundo, and everybody who participated. I just sat with this zazenkai. Lovely talk and Q&A.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank you - lovely talk by Myozan - great Q&A.

Willow/Jinyo

sat today

Gassho, Myozan! Thank you! Grace

Sat today
    Sat today and 10 more in honor of Treeleaf's 10th Anniversary!

Just watched this. Wonderful talk.
    Thank you Jundo and all

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast