Thread: [Engaged] RSPCA and animal rescue

Encounter Bay, South Australia, Australia

[Engaged] RSPCA and animal rescue

My wife and I support our local RSPCA. A few years ago we become “Friends of the RSPCA”, which means we get to see behind the scenes occasionally.

Animals are sentient beings too, and they need our help.

The Vet Nurse you see in this video is one of loveliest people I've met. She's a true Bodhisattva.

Edit. I'm new to this forum, and forgot to add "sat today". My oversight.

Gassho
    Brucef
    Sat today
    Last edited by brucef; 09-18-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I don't watch videos involving abused or neglected animals, but I'm really glad they are out there... The reality needs to be shown for those who are unaware. Thank you so much for helping! These sentient beings who do not speak our language need the love and compassion of Bodhisattvas as well.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    I don't watch videos involving abused or neglected animals, but I'm really glad they are out there... The reality needs to be shown for those who are unaware. Thank you so much for helping! These sentient beings who do not speak our language need the love and compassion of Bodhisattvas as well.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thank you Brucef ... I too find these videos hard to watch and too am thankful for the folks who work day in and day out to care for these beauties. My Bodhi is a rescue from Mexico and I am grateful for all the people who have brought him to me ... they just like these beautiful creatures, the caregivers are Bodhisattvas too!

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Same here.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

My family and I have always sought out shelter animals, and saved the life of several cats and one dog. The dog belonged to my mother-in-law, and whe she passed we kept the dog until the dog passed. Our present cat came from a shelter and was about to be put down. As it turns out, the cat is very loving (most of the time).

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Encounter Bay, South Australia, Australia
    This particular story had a happy ending. Hero the Husky is now in a safe caring home.

My dog was also a rescue dog. Abused as a puppy, she was a mess when we adopted her. But she's now a happy healthy and much loved 12 year old.

Not all stories have such happy endings though.

The suffering of sentient beings is vast and extensive. Each of us is so limited in what we can do. But I keep thinking of Loren Eiseley's starfish on the shore story..

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

Gassho
    Bruce
    Sat today