Thread: Homeless studio

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Homeless studio

This month my longtime painting studio, where the daily work was done, is closing because the new landlord has new plans for the property. The solution to this, for now, is an experiment. Instead of a studio full of books, and piles of sketches, and the big old easel mounted to the wall, everything is being made portable and kept neatly where I sit zazen .

For as long as this works I will be taking the paintings out to parks, or the local ravine, or maybe more urban settings, to paint. The idea is to stay open to locations I would never usually think of.

This was the studio today, set up in a park. These are three panels being sketched up, part of a series of abstract (non-rep) painting for a local gallery. It was a real breath of fresh air. People in the park jogging or walking the dog, could see someone was concentrating and just left it be. One guy came by and was a little curious, but the point is not to be on show, but just to work. The painting was seen in a new context, and new ideas came up.

2016-09-16.jpg

Just sharing, and will share more as it unfolds....

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    Last edited by RichardH; 09-17-2016 at 03:16 AM.