Thread: Monthly Donation

Monthly Donation

How do I donate MONTHLY? I had this set up with PayPal in August and it was cancelled in September. When I hit the "donate" button on TreeLeaf, it sends me to PayPal. But there is no button on PP to make a monthly donation, just a one-time entry area. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong??

Gassho,
    Ansan

SatToday

Hi Ansan,

Thank you for writing and your generosity.

You mean that you go to this link ...

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...72275b28239088

... yet you do not see the "Make This Recurring (Monthly)" words and check box where you input the amount? It should appear like this:

delete donation interface ed.png

Standby, and we will try to figure it out and report.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-13-2016 at 01:30 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello Ansan,

Jundo beat me to it, but I too see the same thing. I wonder if it has something to do with the links?

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

I had the same problem a few days ago, but now it is working: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post185226
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (Open Heart aka Matt)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    I had the same problem a few days ago, but now it is working: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post185226
    Good to know .. thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Let me add... if I try to do it on my smartphone, the mobile interface for PayPal doesn't seem to have that checkbox. So maybe some people are trying on an iPad (or other iOS/Android device) and that's why they aren't seeing? Thought I'd mention it in case.

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (Open Heart aka Matt)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    Let me add... if I try to do it on my smartphone, the mobile interface for PayPal doesn't seem to have that checkbox. So maybe some people are trying on an iPad (or other iOS/Android device) and that's why they aren't seeing? Thought I'd mention it in case.
    Thank you Kaishin, I think you've cracked this case wide open! I have observed the same.

I'm going to do some additional cross-platform testing today and report back.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Evidence for Kaishin's hypothesis; I have been unable to donate on an ipad but have just tried on the laptop and the donate button is now visible.

That said, it won't accept my card payment details - not sure if this is because I am in the UK? See no reason why that should be the case but have double checked card details being entered.

Gassho
    Karen
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Ansan,

Thank you for writing and your generosity.

You mean that you go to this link ...

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...72275b28239088

... yet you do not see the "Make This Recurring (Monthly)" words and check box where you input the amount? It should appear like this:

delete donation interface ed.png

Standby, and we will try to figure it out and report.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    First of all, please indulge and allow me step out of my bounds for a brief moment. It is you and TreeLeaf that I want to thank. If I had a billion dollars, I would send the majority of it to you so that you could have powerful computers, cameras, technical staff and whatever you would need to continue your work to help others. With the remainder of the money, I would buy a mighty telecommunications tower for myself. As it is, you are welcome to anything I can afford. I am truly grateful to you for all that you bring us.

Secondly, the only thing I see on PayPal after I push your Donate button is an amount box and the comment "Donate to Tree Leaf"

Gassho,
    Ansan

#SatToday
    Last edited by Ansan; 09-14-2016 at 02:23 AM.

I am on Firefox. I just tried two other browsers: Chrome and Explorer. In both cases, I got the same response. However, when I logged out as Ansan, and tried to donate, PayPal had the option to subscribe monthly. I tried all the suggestions, but when I log in as Ansan to TreeLeaf and then try to donate monthly, I do not get that option on PayPal. Btw, I am on a computer, not a cell phone. It did the same thing there. While I prefer to donate as "Ansan", being just "Ka" would be OK too.

Gassho,
    Ansan

#SatToday
    Last edited by Ansan; 09-14-2016 at 02:21 AM.

Thank you for the update Ansan. I thought I understood what was going on until your message. Now I'm plunged into not-knowing again (and not the good kind).

I will play with this more tomorrow.

Thank you all for the feedback and your patience.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

What a puzzle.

Ok, I just set up a recurring donation while signed in to Treeleaf, through the donation button up there, on a Mac, on Chrome, and it all worked fine for me, kittens and roses. I saw the same screen that Jundo posted below.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Hello everybody,

So I did a bunch of testing today, and here is what I was able to verify. It is not necessarily in-line with what some of you have reported. I don't doubt your experiences of course, I just cannot verify them.

I did my testing with Firefox, Chrome, and Chromium (desktop), and mobile Safari and Firefox (iOS - iPhone 6+, iPad2). For each of these I tested while logged in to Treeleaf, and while not logged in to Treeleaf. I did not provide screenshots of all these scenarios, but what I have provided is representative of what I found across the various platforms.

- On mobile, when using the default "mobile responsive" theme for vBulletin, there is no visible FAQ, Calendar, or Donate link:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...responsive.jpg

- However, on mobile if you scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Full Site", both the "Treeleaf Minimal" and "Default Style" themes for vBulletin, do have a visible FAQ, Calendar, and Donate link (although the Donate link is not underlined and green on blue in "Default Style" -- making it difficult to see):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...minimalist.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...te-default.jpg

**Kaishin:** This mirrors exactly what you reported.

- On mobile, when clicking on the Donate link, the donation amount is visible, but the "recurring" checkbox is not. This is on ANY mobile browser regardless of viewport size (I was able to duplicate it even on desktop by intentionally going to the mobile Paypal) when logged in to Treeleaf or not:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-loggedout.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-loggedout.jpg

- On Desktop, the FAQ, Calendar, and Donate link are visible when logged in or not, in both "Treeleaf Minimal" and "Default Style":
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...loggedin-1.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...oggedout-1.jpg

- On Desktop, when clicking on the Donate link, the donation amount, and "recurring" checkbox are visible when logged in or not:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...loggedin-2.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...loggedin-3.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...oggedout-2.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...oggedout-3.jpg

**Ansan:** I know this is not your experience, but I just could not duplicate it in any browser I have access to. If you (or anyone else) can duplicate this and send me a screenshot, I would love to see it (so maybe I can recreate it).

- On Desktop, when logging in to Paypal, the donation amount and "recurring" checkbox are still visible when logged in (to Treeleaf) or not:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...loggedin-3.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...oggedout-3.jpg

---

So what does it all mean?

I think it means this:

- If you want to make a one-time donation, it mostly works everywhere except on the default "mobile responsive" layout for vBulletin. If that is the case, you can just tap this link: http://www.treeleaf.org/donations-to-treeleaf-sangha/

- If you want to make a recurring donation, it only works on desktop, so you'll need to be at a computer. You should be able to simply make your recurring donation. However, if like Ansan, this option is not available to you, go back to Treeleaf, log out, and then try again.

If anyone has experiences other than what I outlined above, do please let me know (either here or PM) so I can try to catalog them and find a work-around.

Thank you all for your patience, support, and practice.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Last edited by Sekishi; 09-14-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    sekishi
    石志

Wow, thorough testing Sekishi, thank you for all your hard work. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Thank you for the update Ansan. I thought I understood what was going on until your message. Now I'm plunged into not-knowing again (and not the good kind).

I will play with this more tomorrow.

Thank you all for the feedback and your patience.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Thank you Sekishi for all your research and hard work. I copied all my log ins & outs on TreeLeaf and PayPal. I was going to post them here but it just got me more confused than I already am. In August, I was able to set up monthly donations. Now I cannot as either Ansan or Ka. So, until I can figure this out (since I seem to be the only person this is happening to), I will just manually donate monthly. This is certainly good for my practice!

Gassho,
    Ansan

#SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Ansan View Post
    Thank you Sekishi for all your research and hard work. I copied all my log ins & outs on TreeLeaf and PayPal. I was going to post them here but it just got me more confused than I already am. In August, I was able to set up monthly donations. Now I cannot as either Ansan or Ka. So, until I can figure this out (since I seem to be the only person this is happening to), I will just manually donate monthly. This is certainly good for my practice!
    You likely are not the only one. You are just the only one to have posted about it.

I will PM you shortly. Thank you for trying again.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    sekishi
    石志

Sekishi you've been working so hard on all this stuff! Much appreciation and thanks.

Hopefully Jundo can reward you with some extra good karma points, or erase some past lives, or give you extra vacation time.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

You likely are not the only one. You are just the only one to have posted about it.

I will PM you shortly. Thank you for trying again.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Hi Sekishi, Just got home a little earlier and thought I would just check to see if things have changed. Did not. Here's the Firefox Screen shots:PayPal Donate 9 14 16.JPGPayPal log out 9 14 16.JPGTL log out 9 14 16.JPG Log in Ansan 9 15 16 Firefox.JPG. I can do Chrome & Explorer too if that would help. Otherwise, I will help to do some sleuthing if you would like?

Gassho,

Ansan
    #SatToday
    Last edited by Ansan; 09-16-2016 at 01:32 AM.

Hi Sekishi, Just got home a little earlier and thought I would just check to see if things have changed. Did not. Here's the Firefox Screen shots:PayPal Donate 9 14 16.JPGPayPal log out 9 14 16.JPGTL log out 9 14 16.JPG Log in Ansan 9 15 16 Firefox.JPG. I can do Chrome & Explorer too if that would help. Otherwise, I will help to do some sleuthing if you would like?
    This is great -- you are a legend! No need to send the additional screenshots.

So it looks like you are getting the "mobile" version of both Treeleaf (at least in the last Firefox screenshot) and Paypal. The baffling thing to me is that the mobile PayPal page you are seeing is quite a bit different than the mobile version of the PayPal page I get (on iPad for example).

Do you know what operating system your computer is running (I'm hoping I can do some searching to figure out what might trigger getting the mobile interface on a computer)?

Thank you again for your help.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    sekishi
    石志

This is great -- you are a legend! No need to send the additional screenshots.

So it looks like you are getting the "mobile" version of both Treeleaf (at least in the last Firefox screenshot) and Paypal. The baffling thing to me is that the mobile PayPal page you are seeing is quite a bit different than the mobile version of the PayPal page I get (on iPad for example).

Do you know what operating system your computer is running (I'm hoping I can do some searching to figure out what might trigger getting the mobile interface on a computer)?

Thank you again for your help.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Hi Sekishi, All 4 of those images are from a "Snip" tool on my desktop, OS Win7. It is an old computer circa 2009. Probably time to upgrade. I had no idea that there is such a thing on a desktop as a mobile interface. Is there someway I can search my computer for that process? My computer and cell phone are synced. I use my cell phone for most of my quick messages so I do prefer to have them synced. Bad idea? Is that what caused this problem?

Gassho,
    Ansan

#SatToday

FWIW, mine is on an old Mac Pro, OS 10.7x (old, can't upgrade, long story), and either Safari or Firefox, can't remember which browser i used. But i dry mine up, no problem on computer.

Ipad is ipad 2 refurbished, latest OS.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Each day is another chance to try again.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Hi Sekishi, All 4 of those images are from a "Snip" tool on my desktop, OS Win7. It is an old computer circa 2009. Probably time to upgrade. I had no idea that there is such a thing on a desktop as a mobile interface. Is there someway I can search my computer for that process? My computer and cell phone are synced. I use my cell phone for most of my quick messages so I do prefer to have them synced. Bad idea? Is that what caused this problem?
    Hi Ansan,

I have NO IDEA what is causing this for you. It is a deep mystery apparently.

I'm away right now, but maybe next week we can connect again.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    sekishi
    石志

Hi Ansan,

I have NO IDEA what is causing this for you. It is a deep mystery apparently.

I'm away right now, but maybe next week we can connect again.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    I did forget to mention (because I am so used to this situation) that we have no land lines. We live in the remote desert. So I guess I am always on mobile?! However, in August, I did sign on the monthly basis with PayPal. Please don't concern yourself with this, Sekishi. It is no problem for me. Not living in the city requires some adjustments and I am comfortable with it as it is.

Gassho,
    Ansan

Hello!

well, it's time for our annual "I can't make my donation recurring" kerfuffle. The layout of the Paypal page has changed, and I have clicked on everything I can find, but never found the "make this a recurring payment" button. I was on a Mac laptop, on Chrome, not logged into Treeleaf. I did manage to double this months payment while trying, so, donations committee, please enjoy an ice cream party on me this month. Anyone have a clue on how to make the donation monthly?

When I went to the help menu on Paypal, I found one thing that said recurring payments now can only be arranged by the seller, but I don't believe it! Until Sekishi says so.

By the way, a good time to thank the donations/financial oversight committee for their service throughout the year!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah

p.s.
    and, as always, remember there is absolutely no requirement or pressure to donate to Treeleaf unless you have the means and wish to do so.
    Last edited by Byokan; 09-17-2017 at 01:00 AM.
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

I also got the single donation but no recurring options - I messaged Byokan in case I was missing something obvious!

I am on Firefox on Windows 10, connected through home cable and was logged into TreeLeaf at the time.

Gassho
    SatToday/LAH

Yep, same here regarding the reoccuring button...it seems to have not been there for awhile.

Gassho
    Doshin
    St/lah

Same issue here. I don't know much about Paypal but I'll discuss this with the other Unsui and we'll see if we can come up with a solution.

Thank you all for supporting Treeleaf. I'm sorry it is difficult to do so. :-/

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    sekishi
    石志

Same issue here. I don't know much about Paypal but I'll discuss this with the other Unsui and we'll see if we can come up with a solution.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    hi Sekishi,

I had problems with paying via PayPal to US too, some time ago. I than used TransferWise. That works fine.

Coos

Meister Eckhart ‘Nothing in all creation is so like God as stillness.’

Yep, same problem here: no option for recurring donation. I tried Chrome, Firefox and IE. Will try again later.

with metta,

MIke
    st
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    No worries, not so difficult. Just tough to remeber (no getting old jokes ). What happened is I was set up on reoccuring for a long time. Wanted to change amount which meant I had to cancel contribution and start over (no edit option) However when I went back in to set a new amount the reoccuring choice was gone. So every time I go back in I keep looking for that button, but they hid it well!

Gassho
    Doshin
    St/lah

To make a long story short ... we are looking right now at either paying some special fee PayPal seems to be requesting to restore the "recurring payments" feature, or to switch to another reputable service that collects online donations (in a way very similar to PayPal) for many charities.

We will keep everyone posted.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE