Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept 9th-10th, 2016 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI - COMMENCING this ANGO & JUKAI !

Sept 9th-10th, 2016 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI - COMMENCING this ANGO & JUKAI !

Our Zazenkai is in Special Celebration and Welcome for the Commencement of our 2016 ANGO & JUKAI Season.

Today's Talk will dance recent Koans from the Book of Serenity, POSTED BELOW, which touch on the meaning of Ango & Jukai.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma talk audio / podcast episode:
    http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/septem...or-ango-jukai/

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 09-23-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Cases from the Book of Serenity for Ango & Jukai ...

~~~~~~~~~~

CASE 62
    Biko's No Enlightenment

Main Case
    Attention! Master Beiko sent a monk to ask Kyozan, "Do people these days have to attain enlightenment?" Kyozan replied, "It's not that there's no enlightenment, but how can one not fall down into the second level?" The monk related this to Beiko, who wholeheartedly approved it.

~~~~~~~~~~

CASE 63
    Joshu Asks About [Great] Death

Main Case
    Attention! Master Joshu asked Master Toshi, "When a man who dies the Great Death revives, what then?" Toshi replied, "Going by night isn't permitted. You'd better arrive during the day."

~~~~~~~~~~

CASE 64
    Shisho's Transmission

Main Case

Attention! The head monk Shisho asked Master Hogen, "Osho, as head of the temple, whose dharma did you receive?" Hogen said, "Master Jizo's" Shisho said, "Aren't you greatly transgressing against our late teacher Chokei?" Hogen replied, "I don't understand a turning word of Chokei's" Shisho retorted, "Then why don't you ask?" Hogen said, "Among the myriad form is a solitary, manifest body. What does it mean?" At that, Shisho lifted up his hossu, his fly whisk, and Hogen said, "You learned that as a student at Chokei's place. What is your expression?" Shisho had nothing to say. Hogen said, "As it says, among the myriad forms is a solitary, manifest body. Does it wipe out the myriad forms, or does it not wipe out the myriad forms?" Shisho answered, "It does not wipe them out." Hogen said, "A duality!" The followers of Shisho, the monks on both sides of the Dharma hall, all said, "It does wipe them out!" Hogen said, "Among the myriad forms is a solitary, manifest body. Hah!"

~~~~~~~~~~

CASE 65
    Shuzan's New Bride

Main Case
    Attention! A monk asked Shuzan, "What is Buddha?" Shuzan replied, "A new bride rides a donkey. Her mother-in-law leads."

WHAT COULD EACH OF THESE HAVE TO DO WITH ANGO or JUKAI?? SIT IN AND FIND OUT!
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-08-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live to kick off Ango and Jukai ... a lovely time of year! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Sent from my mobile, cause I am out & about! =)

Nindo
    I will be sitting a live weekend retreat with another sangha in a brick-and-mortar place.
    May we all have a good start into Ango!

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Looking forward to joining you all for this (totally un)special Zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Will be here/there live.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Hi all!

What a wonderful time of the year. I'll be there live with instruments ready!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I will be there live one-way.

Edit: Nope, no I won't. Will be with you in spirit and sit with the recording on the weekend.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today
    Last edited by Byokan; 09-09-2016 at 11:36 PM.

I will have to catch this up through the week, as I am traveling again for 2-3 weeks with work (my last year; they are determined to make it hard for me...! )

Gassho,
    Anshu

-st-

I will try to catch part of it live either one-way ot two subject to free seat.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today

I will be sitting with the recorded version.

Thank you
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

I'll be there live one-way.

Gassho
    Marie
    Sattoday

I will try to be there live, but might have to leave early to make dinner!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I will try to sit live, two way. Otherwise I will sit with the zazenkai some other time this weekend.

Gassho,
    Onkai

Participating "one-way"

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Shingen, do you know where to find the event?

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Shingen, do you know where to find the event?
    I don't see any event either ... should I make one?

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hi guys,

Cant' see the event either...
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Hello folks, here is the event link: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...-GB&authuser=0

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Kyotai
    I am at work but looking forward to the talk.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Well, I'm off to a good start. Didn't take into consideration the time zone.

Lesson learned. I will endeavor to make the future netcasts!

Gassho
    Eric

#ST
    Sat Today

HAPPY ANGO!!

Thank you everyone!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Wonderful! Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. Have a great night and HAPPY ANGO/JUKAI!!! =)

Gasho
    Shingen

s@today

Wonderful despite very spotty internet tonight. Thank you Sangha

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Thank you Jundo and everyone! Please say hi to all your guests from us especially the sweet little lady in the pink that waved
    My daughter Nicole sat almost the entire second half of the Zazenkai with us!! How cool is that? Maybe if we do the hokey-pokey again next time I can convince her to stick around...
    Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thank you everyone. It was an inspiring zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for coming together to practice. Happy Ango!

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Oh, I forgot the Hokey-Pokey! Next time, please remind me of the Hokey-Pokey!

Apparently, we are not the only Hokey-Pokey Buddhists!

Gassho, J

SatToday

Hi all,
    tried to sit with the recording, but youtube keeps telling me, the livestream did not start.
    Is there an other link? I am also not able to locate the video via treeleaf's youtube 'video' tab.
    However, I'll go sit now.
    Good morning and happy Ango!

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Ahh, it's there now, thank you!
    Gassho, Kotei

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I had to leave a little before the end, but thank you all! I don't know why my camera was so dark... it looked like I was practicing in total darkness, but my lights were on!

Gassho,
    Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Just sat with the recording. Thanks to all.
    May all space aliens embrace all conditions of life
    Gassho,
    Alex

Thanks to everyone for sitting with me and to Jundo for the talk.

Gassho,
    Jimmy
    Sattoday

Hello everyone. I Just Sat with all of You and the zazenkai recording.
    Now, i Will try to do my best but i think that i must know at the same time that everything is ok.
    I wish all of You a very good weekend.
    Gassho, David
    Sattoday

The Planets must be out of alignment because I can't seem to view the Zazenkai recording. Am I the only one who sees this on the YouTube channel?

It says the event is upcoming today?
    Odd.
    So I just sat as usual.
    Hope to be able to sit with the Ango/Jukai commencement recording soon.
    Gassho,
    K2
    #SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Hi Kliff.

Do you see it at the top post of this thread? That is the correct one.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Whoops! Thank you!

Gassho
    K2
    #SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hoko; 09-10-2016 at 03:01 PM.
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Sat early this morning with the recording. It's great to be a part of this wonderful and unique community.
    Best of wishes to everyone during this Ango season.

Thank you Jundo and to everyone at Treeleaf.

Gassho
    Mike
    Sat2day

Thank you all. Couldn't catch it live so just sat with the recording.
    Happy Ango to everyone

Gassho
    Washin
    ST

Thank you all.

I read "A new bridge rides a donkey". Didn't change much of my non-understanding.
    Thanks for explaining who gets to ride.

Everyone have a good Ango!

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Sat with the recording this morning. (Minus a couple of minutes of kinhin which I will make up!)

Happy Ango-ing to all my fellow Ango-ers

Thanks for the talk Jundo!
    Gassho,
    Tim
    SatToday

Ansan
    Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and Sanghal. I sat with the first part of the recording this morning upstairs but had to leave because of the heat (no air conditioning there). I am completing this downstairs and will listen to the Dharma talk audio when it is available,

Gassho
    Ansan
    #SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Oh, I forgot the Hokey-Pokey! Next time, please remind me of the Hokey-Pokey!

Apparently, we are not the only Hokey-Pokey Buddhists!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Ah!! Cuteness overload!!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jundo,

I was able to sit with the video, afterward. What a wonderful talk! Though, I have a question:

When you mentioned Not Killing and how it relates to unintended civilian casualties on the battlefield, I've been wondering how to reconcile the two. It is difficult to recognize that this is, as you say, no accident. It seems if one is to learn from this non-accident (to which you alluded in the sewing example), that it is quite the hefty price paid for me to learn a lesson. Perhaps I have a flawed understanding of your meaning. Should I view this in a different way? Is there nothing to understand? Is my question better suited for another thread? I was hoping you might be able to elaborate a little bit. Thanks! Oh, and yes, war is stupid.

Deep Bows

Gassho
    Eric

#ST
    Last edited by Aeriqual; 09-11-2016 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Formatting
    Sat Today

Thank you all.
    When I walk the dogs later I will pick up their poo with new found reverence.

Wishing all well,
    Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by Aeriqual View Post
    Though, I have a question:

When you mentioned Not Killing and how it relates to unintended civilian casualties on the battlefield, I've been wondering how to reconcile the two. It is difficult to recognize that this is, as you say, no accident. It seems if one is to learn from this non-accident (to which you alluded in the sewing example), that it is quite the hefty price paid for me to learn a lesson. Perhaps I have a flawed understanding of your meaning. Should I view this in a different way? Is there nothing to understand? Is my question better suited for another thread? I was hoping you might be able to elaborate a little bit. Thanks! Oh, and yes, war is stupid.

Deep Bows

Gassho
    Eric

#ST
    Hi Eric,

Would you do me a favor and ask again in a few weeks, when we look at the Precept on Avoiding Taking Life during our Jukai Preparations?

I will say now that there are no easy answers to this. Sometimes military action may be needed to preserve innocent life. Nishijima Roshi (and the Dalai Lama too if one listens closely) have said that sometimes military action is needed to protect democratic society, however imperfect it is. But that means that, in doing so, innocent lives will always be taken. It is a terrible situation.

I have known cases in law enforcement of someone who accidently took an innocent life in an attempt to save life. I have known soldiers who have faced such a hell. Even if the shooting is officially later justified, each and all carry the weight of what they have done all their lives. I wrote this to someone who faced such a tragedy in Bosnia ...

Unfortunately, I know too many veterans from various wars and police officers ... some close friends and family ... who can share like tales of being involved in innocents, children, killed in the heat of combat. They all carry scars, and will do so forever. Even those who believe it was unavoidable feel the weight. Such is the weight of Karma.

I long ... I foresee ... a world in which our capability to do violence against each other has been evolved past. There will be a world without wars and violence.

But for now, I do feel that some wars ... although tragic ... are needed to preserve life and society (which is also a way of preserving life). Having had my own relatives die in the Holocaust during WWII (Jews in Poland, my grandparents' family although I did not know them), I believe that some wars may be necessary to fight true evil. On the other hand, they must be avoided at every cost, and some wars ... over nationalism, religion, land which all could share ... are not excusable.

I believe that you were there as a peace-keeper, a Bodhisattva's mission. You were protecting innocents. In the heat of the moment, an innocent was killed. It is tragic, it is something to carry always. It also may have been unavoidable in the circumstances, an accident on a terrible peace-keeping mission. It is my belief that one is truly not liable ... in society's law or Buddha Law ... for unintended actions short of true recklessness. Nonetheless, accident or not, we feel the weight of what was done.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post99398
    I am not sure about the effect of our Karma in lives to come ... but I do know that we likely will bear the effects of our actions in this life in some way. I have a friend, an ex-policeman, who had to kill someone in a perfectly necessary and justified act to save lives. Yet, my friend still carries that with him to this day. I have ex-military friends who are Buddhists (Rev. Daiho Hilbert is one) who still carry the weight of having taken life (in Daiho's case, he killed someone in a "friendly fire" incident in Vietnam as well as unknown numbers of opposing troops ... all sentient beings doing what they were told).

No, taking lives is never a "good" thing. Sometimes it is necessary.

Gassho, with sadness, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-12-2016 at 01:57 AM.

Jundo,

Thank you for your response. I would be happy to ask this question later during precept discussion. Ultimately, I would like to be at a place where I might bring understanding and closure to those in similar situations. Or at least just offer my presence. Thanks again!

Gassho
    Eric

#ST

Sat Today

Wonderful, thank you dear Sangha!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Jundo,

I sat with the recorded Zazenkai, thank you so much for that Dharma Talk. Very inspiring. Thanks for the teachings on the Koans (and for pointing us that altough we should neither be too loose nor too tight in our practice, we oughta better practice)

Very cool to see you speaking japanese!

May I ask a question: when "we" set our objectives for the Ango session, (presuming we are doing it wholeheartedly, not trying to "compete" for "approval of the teacher", for attention, etc. with someone's else's objectives) why do we do that (in Ango)? Is there a historical or traditional background for that?

And: Do these compromises comes from our True Self (as we know they almost represents sacrifices for us)? Is that because we intimately already "know" what we need to improve or "open hand of" to "cut the edges" and "shine our diamonds" (I remembered Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond",lol.) to express our True Selves more vast and openly? Hope you understood what I tried to convey.

Thank you.

Gassho
    Last edited by Kyosei; 09-12-2016 at 02:32 PM.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast