Thread: Digital Sketches / Paintings

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Digital Sketches / Paintings

Hi all,

I wrote earlier today in another thread about our little sailboat (Miss Hannah), and remembered that a while back I did a digital sketch / painting of her with the "Procreate" app on the ipad. Tokoda mentioned the other day that he uses ArtRage on the iPad. I thought I would start a little thread here with some of the digital sketches / paintings I've made on the ipad over the past couple of years, but anyone else who dabbles in this method of expression is more than welcome to add stuff here.

Miss Hannah:
    misshannah-5955538983_08403f3dd6_z.jpg

Where we often sail - the point where the eastern and western branches of the Corrotoman river meet:
    corrotoman-5898132727_6f1f5db0ea_z.jpg

A tree:
    tree-5857004683_d6faf02a74_z.jpg

A Buddha:
    buddha-5861281679_cf3b3b0657_z(1).jpg

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hello again,

Here are two sketches of a set of silos on Totuskey creek that I just love. I've photographed them MANY times over the years and can see them slowly returning to the source...

5904912983_2f617da8fd_z.jpg7512896362_19c3231508_z.jpg

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday

Sekishi, these sketches are amazing! Almost unbelievable this can be done on an iPad.

Thank you for sharing

Gassho,
    Andoitz.

SatToday.
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

That looks slick! Very cool.

Gassho

Sat Today

Mp
    Wow Sekishi ... a computer geek and an artist! Well done. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Hi Sekishi,

Thanks for sharing your sketches... beautiful!

These are a few sketches I've been working on using ArtRage. This one is from a photo taken on a small country road near the town of Baldones in Latvia. These old weathered and wooden barns are quite common and dot the countryside.

Barn Baldone small.jpg

The following sketch is something that comes from my imagination. As a young boy I can remember going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC on school outings and being fascinated by the paintings of the Hudson River School, a group of American landscape painters from the mid 19th century.

Dusk Small.jpg

Landscape at dusk (I started painting a sky and then added on to it, and this is the result):

Landscape at Dusk small.jpg

I used a drawing tablet connected to my device. Just having fun while trying to enjoy the moment.

Gassho
    Mike

Sat2day
    Last edited by Toun; 09-06-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Digital Sketches / Paintings

Thank you for sharing Takoda. I love how painterly these are.

And I'm pretty sure Totoro lives somewhere in that second scene. ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For those not familiar, this tree: https://ekostoriesdotcom.files.wordp...ce-paddies.jpg

From this movie: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbor_Totoro

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow..thank you for sharing Sekishi... Takoda. There is no joy in the world like creative play!

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

....We should have a little palette or easel emoji

Great work, Sekishi and Takoda! Skill involved there!

The only digital drawing I've done so far is the cover of my first book, done in ArtRage. I only have the book cover available, not just the sketch.. but it's the cat face obviously

Guffwipe-resized.jpg

Gassho
    Ongen

Sat Today
    Last edited by Ongen; 09-07-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Ongen,

Awesome, love the cover!
    Reminds me of our cat when going to the vet, not exactly a happy camper.

Thanks for sharing

Gassho
    Mike
    Sat2day

Such wonderful images!

You guys are pretty talented. Thank you for posting them.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Ongen View Post
    Great work, Sekishi and Takoda! Skill involved there!
    The only digital drawing I've done so far is the cover of my first book, done in ArtRage. I only have the book cover available, not just the sketch.. but it's the cat face obviously
    Now THAT is Grumpy Cat! Thank you for sharing Ongen. In other news, I learned that you wrote a book.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday

Sekishi,

The cat is really to be avoided throughout the book. He's a mean ****. By the way, if anyone is interested to read the book (part 1 of 3) let me know. I'll send you a digital copy! It's humor/fantasy and was originally published for free on Amazon.
    I'm now in the process of translating it to Dutch, then write part 2 and 3 and translate back to English for publication

Gassho
    Ongen
    sat today
    Last edited by RichardH; 09-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.

The cat is really to be avoided throughout the book. He's a mean ****. By the way, if anyone is interested to read the book (part 1 of 3) let me know.
    I'll send you a digital copy! It's humor/fantasy and was originally published for free on Amazon.
    I'm now in the process of translating it to Dutch, then write part 2 and 3 and translate back to English for publication

Very very cool. I want to hear more about this mean ****. Why are villains the most fun?

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Daizan, (and others)
    Please feel free to download here, PDF file, and if you like, let me know what you think of it. I'm rewriting it anyway, so changes can be made

http://vanmeerdervoort.nl/wp-content...OfChoices1.pdf

Gassho
    Ongen

Sat ToDay

Wonderful.. I'll download after work tonight, and am looking forward to seeing this. Thank you Ongen.

The graphic novel I have been working on has reached a point where I can start back at the beginning and complete it chapter by chapter (text, illustration, floating graphics and illustration...the whole package). It has grown into a sprawling monster but I can't stop. It is way too much fun...
    Will post the first complete chapter for the Art Circle in a couple of weeks.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Joyo
    These are all beautiful!! I had no idea this could be done digitally, they look like loose watercolor paintings.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

So cool everyone. Lots of talented folks in this group

..sat2day•合掌

Very cool stuff!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Oheso! That is wonderful! You have a terrific eye, all the proportions are beautiful. Isn't the Ipad handy? A bottomless sketch pad in your pocket. What drawing app do you use? Also there is a very good camera lucida app I just found.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Eakins was amazing. I do not think anyone has transformed a photographic reference so beautifully to this day, and we have digital projectors. Sekishi recently introduced me to procreate. There is a lot to explore there... it had me coveting an Ipad Pro today

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Very cool Oheso.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

That is looking great Oheso. Procreate is worth really exploring. The possibilities are wonderful. I just took the leap and got an IPad Pro and Apple Pencil (it's going to be peanut butter sandwiches for dinner for the next year) because using a digital stylus and tablet takes things way beyond anything you can do with a mouse on a desktop.

Looking forward to seeing how things develop Oheso.... and looking forward to sharing too.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Wow that's just amazing. Thank you for sharing!!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a scene from the graphic novel project I am working on with procreate. it is the background for a bird's eye shot of a titan coming to investigate a fire and surprising the person who is tending it. the titan (named Kali-Yana-Brahm) will be approaching from the sea ...crossing the shore, and will fill the upper two thirds of the image. consistant with the spatial angle she will be seen top down crawling over the coastal hills under the clouds. She is wearing tattered robes, has a complex, luminous, halo-system, has six arms, carries six katanas (two sheathed on her back), and (being a titan) she is bloodied from constant battle. The overall effect will be of scale, and of the titan as an ominous force descending down the frame. there are only two bird's eye shots in the first chapter, which consists of 50 shots, so it will be a visual suprise in the narrative flow.

what this image shows is the wonderful sculpting possiblities using a tablet and apple pencil. the image is first patched together, then sculpted ever more fine in transparent layers. procreate allows for creating a palette of lit-treetop-pixel shapes, then tapping them in . once they're placed the opacity can be played with along with other properties. it makes for fast work. you can see where there is still scultpting to do on the ground layer, espectially on the shore. this shot has 4 ground layers in process, Plus the fire layer and the cloud layer. doing this on a desktop with a mouse would involve a lot more sampling and a lot less actual painting, and it would take a lot longer. This tablet and pencil were a big purchase for me, a bit of a leap, but it is the best professional investment I have ever made, a big change in the workflow and possibilities. I'll post the completed image when the figure has been added.

https://imgur.com/a/jkaWs

gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    Last edited by RichardH; 03-23-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Looks great Daizan.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Wow so cool! Thanks for sharing!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Here is a titan, and a very tired but tough old character who survives her onslaught. From the graphic novel project. Painted on the ipad. ....and Fun to do...

kxc 2.jpg

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Amazing stuff Daizan an Oheso!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Wow!! Just saw these. What amazing talent! Deep bows!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Painted on the ipad. A sequence of images approaching a mysterious storm on a planet. From my graphic novel project. There will be several layers of text and graphics over the base illustration.

may_1.jpgmay_2.jpg

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RichardH; 05-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Wow that's amazing!!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

That's so beautiful, Daizan!!!

Gassho,
    Taiyo

SatToday/LAH
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Mp
    Lovely work Daizan ... The moon is a planet, a planet is the moon. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

You guys are awesome!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_