Thread: "Dealing with Difficult Emotions" - thoughts on podcasts and Zazen

"Dealing with Difficult Emotions" - thoughts on podcasts and Zazen

The last thread I found on this topic was, I believe, from 2010 perhaps. So I am just starting my own.

Today in transit for work, I was listening to two podcasts: Jundo's talk that discussed the priest training program at TreeLeaf, and how Buddhism needs to fit your life in all aspects (or why practice it?), and also a talk from Secular Buddhism (Noah Trevor, I believe) that spoke on "Dealing with Difficult Emotions". Both of these talks got to the heart of something I've been struggling with for a very long time.

I don't think I am wording this correctly. But I will try.

The concept of "being present" and not fighting or resisting one's emotions, or labeling an emotion as bad, or wrong or "shouldn't" is very new to me. My background is one of being labeled - weird, odd, emotional, needing to be fixed, etc. So listening to Buddhist talks about accepting emotions as is, being present with emotions, but recognizing that we are not the emotions and the emotions are not us - this was mind-boggling for me. It was also rather liberating and a relief, and I spent the afternoon ...... feeling peace. Was quite strange. Nothing had changed. I just saw my circumstances and my emotions differently, and did not feel imprisoned by them in that moment. I just felt peace, and acceptance - of myself.

After I got home from work, I decided I was going to sit, for as long as I could. I got my errands done, cleared everything out, and did my longest sit yet (laying down, due to unrelenting back pain), but being present within all the muck I've been dealing with. "Thinking not thinking" of the lotus and its symbolism, and of the rakusu.

My practice today took on a whole new meaning for me - because it can go to those dark places, and BE in those dark places, and walk (sit?) me through to the other side.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today _/\_
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    My practice today took on a whole new meaning for me - because it can go to those dark places, and BE in those dark places, and walk (sit?) me through to the other side.
    I don't know how to say this without sounding like a Zen cliche, but yes, in a sense there is no darkness and no light. Both are subjective views / concepts from a particular limited perspective. When we touch that which is through and beyond them, we get a glimpse of freedom, and an opportunity to walk directly with whatever manifests. How lovely!

And yet, when we walk into a room, it is good to flip on the light switch and chase away the dark so we do not stumble and hurt ourselves or others.

So when "dark places" cause suffering, we take great care too.

But sometimes I say absurd things, so take that with a huge grain of salt!

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-27-2016 at 12:07 AM.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Dealing with those difficult emotions can be quite a challenge, but if one is able to establish a sense of non-self then it becomes much easier to sit with those emotions Free of bias.

Gassho
    Derek
    #sat2day
    "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

Gassho

Derek

Hi Kim,

Lovely description from you. One allows negative and excess emotions, yet simply does not buy into their story so easily. We do not grab on so readily, do not get swallowed up and tangled in them so deeply, do not wallow, and know how to release them faster when finding ourselves tangled up nonetheless.

Actually, we have many many threads dealing with such excess and harmful emotions ... Here are a few, this from yesterday ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post183756

Some other discussion:

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post180294

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post146516

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post169372

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post113009

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post106107

And a personal favorite ... Anger, Playing with Fire ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ying-With-Fire

Breathe, breathe, breathe ...

By the way, we sit beyond "light" and "dark" (in the western sense of these words ... we were just talking about how the Chinese assigned different meanings to these words ... )

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post183454

Negative emotions such as jealousy, anger, excess fear are just what they are, and we do not resist or judge them. Yet, we do judge them, and seek to be free. This Practice points us toward peace, generosity, acceptance, love ... and other good things. There is a Big L Light which shines through all light and dark.

Sometimes the easiest way to be free of negative emotions in just to relax, allow and let be ... like escaping from those Chinese fingercuffs in which, the more we pull and resist, the tighter they become!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-27-2016 at 04:07 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Kim,

Going to those dark places is not always easy, but the beauty that can come from just being there is valuable beyond words. Seeing the light within and throughout the darkness is a wonderful thing, I am happy that you have the opportunity to see/experience this "suchness" just as it is/was. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you all for your responses, and for the links, Jundo

Shingen, thank you for your beautiful and heartfelt words - yes, I can definitely relate. I have experienced that myself, and believe I will again. It is truly a blessing in life to receive.

Thank you all for sharing with me, and for allowing me to share here with you.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Thank you Kim,

Going to those dark places is not always easy, but the beauty that can come from just being there is valuable beyond words. Seeing the light within and throughout the darkness is a wonderful thing, I am happy that you have the opportunity to see/experience this "suchness" just as it is/was. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Beautiful, thank you for sharing.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    Thank you all for your responses, and for the links, Jundo

Shingen, thank you for your beautiful and heartfelt words - yes, I can definitely relate. I have experienced that myself, and believe I will again. It is truly a blessing in life to receive.

Thank you all for sharing with me, and for allowing me to share here with you.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Hey Kim,

One of my favorite songs came to mind today and I thought .... yes! Just change the name from "You and Me" to "Dharma and Me" and it speaks volumes, enjoy! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey Kim,

One of my favorite songs came to mind today and I thought .... yes! Just change the name from "You and Me" to "Dharma and Me" and it speaks volumes, enjoy! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Shingen, that was perfect and just what I needed tonight after a challenging day. Thank you. Keeping it.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today