Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: ENGAGED ENERGY

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: ENGAGED ENERGY

We continue a series of talks on the Buddhist "Paramitas" (Virtues) which aid in our engaged and charitable work in the world. Today ... Verve, Vigor, Energy! ...

In Sanscrit, this is called the Virya Paramita ... which comes from the same root as vim and virile!

And that energy is not only of use for all our social and political efforts to fix this world, clean up our country or town ...

... it is energy for whatever we need to "get er done" in life.

And like all the "Perfections", it recognizes that we are only human, not perfect. Even superman needs to get his rest sometime.

Treeleaf's ENGAGED & CHARITABLE PROJECTS CENTER can be found here, and we hope you will join in our group projects as an aspect of your Practice. This too is Zazen ...

ENGAGED CENTER LINK

Listen Through our Treeleaf Audio Podcast HERE:
    http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/sit-a-...ngaged-energy/
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-04-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Awesome talk Jundo, thank you ... I need to clean my garage today! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you Jundo. Very timely!

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Joyo
    Wu wei---thank you, Jundo. Very timely for me also.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thank you Jundo,

Willow/Jinyo

ST

Oh, I so needed this kick in the hiney. I am not one to get caught up in self-pity, however I do tend to succumb to the poor-me-I-worked-so-hard-today-I-can't-clean-the-messy-bedroom-now state of mind. Can't get away with anything around here....

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Kyotai
    Thank you Jundo. I better get going on the kitchen.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Thank you, Jundo. Time to go to work with Energy!

Gassho,
    Andoitz

SatToday
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Thank you, Jundo.

If it's true, that the biggest energy-user in our bodies are digesting food and thoughts (digesting and thinking),
    eating 'just enough' (Oryoki) and Zazen (even after raising from the cushion) might save some measurable amount of energy.
    (Should also be true for the other kind of energy, not the measurable, physical, but the inner impulse to do things).

Trying to understand, or at least read, things from Eihei Koroku, I came across:

A good time for Zazen.
    124. Dharma Hall Discourse
    These days are a good time for zazen. If you pass this time [vainly], how can you have full strength? If you have no strength, how can you fully engage and affirm the way? Borrowing energy from this time, we can easily cultivate the way.

Now the spring winds are a whirlwind, and the spring rains have continued [for many days]. Even this smelly skin-bag born from our father and mother cherishes this [time]. How could the bones, flesh, and marrow correctly transmitted by buddha ancestors despise it? Those who despise it truly are beasts.
    After a pause Dogen said: In spring, beyond our own efforts, a withered tree returns to life and flowers. For nine years unknown by people, how many times did he cross the desert?

A little later in the same text (162. Dharma Hall Discourse), I found, what Dogen would have done with someone like me (ripped out of the context)... ;-)

... Then Dogen said: We have enough rice and bean gruel for our daily functioning. Even if you clarify the place where you have exerted your energy, I give you thirty blows of the staff.

Gassho,
    Kotei having to be more aware of his energy level and usage, sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I hope your work is indoors, seems to be very hot in Japan this week, a friend reported.

I don't know why, when reading the stories of old, I always imagine the Buddha or Dogen doing whatever they do in pleasant temperature.
    Never imagined Dogen sitting with sweat streaming down his face.
    [Maybe "smelly skin-bag" is quite literal?]
    Is this my imagination, climate/microclimate change, or today's cities with their architecture??

(I find heat always gives me a good excuse to avoid chores... I really get sick sometimes.)

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Hi All, yes you all know about my pain, and impolitely I have broken into a thread on cancer to tell you that we think we have a solution, at least it seems to be starting thanks to a great doctor . Well through all of this in spite of pain, my wife has insisted that I keep up with my volunteer work--once a week working in my senior center coffee shop, with the pain and health problems have also been a care caller for someone in need, and teaching creative writing at my senior center. Also I do a little work for the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Now through all of this I have had to give up two volunteer jobs at hospitals because they were just too much--I could not push wheel chairs sometimes up to 1/2 mile, and I could not do some physical things or tax my emotions. Like Jundo, I have had to paced myself, and yet my wife and therapist have insisted that I continue through all the high level pain. For me to stop would be sudden, well you know, would be bad for me. Any way, looks like there is a solution for the pain, and I AM grateful I did not stop serving people who have come to depend on me, and I have had to pace myself. By the way my psychiatrist says I am narcissistic and my pain therapist and my regular therapist say I am not--who is right? In any event, I like what I do and I talk a little too much about it. So be it!

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    PS, I was wrong to break into the thread on cancer, and I am sorry!
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 08-07-2016 at 07:54 AM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆