Thread: #BlackLivesMatter and Living the Bodhisattva Vow

#BlackLivesMatter and Living the Bodhisattva Vow

Hi all

I really liked this article which looks at how we react to tragedy and how we can engage with it and the emotional intensity and not hide behind words and concepts:

http://bulletin.hds.harvard.edu/arti...odhisattva-vow

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Thanks Kokuu,

interesting article and a good call to action. I have some mixed reactions to it, will sit with it a while...

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

I haven't been on here for a while (new baby arrived about six weeks ago), but I was glad to see this when I visited today. I think the fact that he's sharing his experience in coming to terms with white privilege is important, necessary. To me, it's very simple: we live as absolute and relative. We are one and we are different, and so when one group is signaled out for its difference and made to feel inferior and treated in an inferior manner, it's on all of us to correct that. Such a thing (racism), to me, derives from identifying too much with self (in this case, with whiteness as being normal and with blackness (and other races) as being inferior), but it also comes from a deluded view of what the universal/absolute is (again, in this case, whiteness).

Action to me involves bringing conversations like this into the classroom - I'm lucky enough to get to engage students on an almost daily basis about these issues. Even his article is a form of action, and generally, that's a good thing. There are reservations I have about how such issues are currently engaged in social media (I don't have social media) because a kind of easy this side vs that side develops, or sometimes a kind of righteous preaching, etc (basically all the usual complaints about social media), but I think the article is a worthwhile read for those who haven't thought of how something important like Black Lives Matter ties in to practice.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. And also, hello again.

Gassho,
    Alan
    sat today
    Shōmon

Racism is such a complex thing. I mean it is so ingrained in the US; correction, it is so ingrained in our species that I think it will take time to root out. I really think it will get rooted out though. I think people are fed up with this bullshit. But I think we have a long way to go.

I've known racists from all over the world. I know white supremacy is popular in the US, but I've known racist Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Jews, Egyptians, etc. I've known Mexicans who can't stand Puerto Ricans and vice versa.

But I want to focus on the US; that's where I live and that's the focus of 'Black Lives Matter'. But I know a lot of racists of all cultures here, in the US, as well. I know Mexicans who hate Blacks, Puerto Ricans who hate Mexicans. It's spread throughout all of humanity. I think we are tribal by nature, so this is what happens with that mentality.

At the same time, we have grown beyond the point of needing such fierce tribalism, but those ingrained habits and instincts haven't dissipated. Again, I'm hopeful they will.

When I grew up, I grew up in a predominantly Black, lower middle class suburb. The high school I went to was pre-dominantly Black. On Martin Luther King Jr. day, some of the Black kids would jump Whites and Mexicans, etc. I was afraid of some of the Black kids, who just didn't like me because I was White.

At the same time, some of the smartest kids I ever knew, and competed with academically, were Black. But I never really thought about it that way. I just thought of us all as classmates. Even the assholes; I didn't think of them as some sort of "Black" bad person; they were just bully assholes. In a way, I was really lucky to have that experience.

There is certainly White privilege. It's a very subtle thing, but I don't fear getting shot down by cops. I'm not worried about getting turned away for my color because I represent what we consider (subconsciously) the default culture. At the same time, I would fear walking through a Black neighborhood. I've grown up with that fear because I've experienced it.

But, it's not Black people or White people or Mexican people, etc. who are problems. It's assholes. I'll get back to that.

"Black Lives Matter" is an important movement in that it's good to take a stand against racism. I think it's easy to forget, especially for someone like me, that there are people who go through non-sense everyday for the color of their skin. Shooting people at point blank who are already down? Wtf? And this is happening repeatedly.

But slogans and groups have a way of losing focus and turning into something else, something more akin to revenge than growth. I hope that doesn't happen.

These recent batches of shootings remind me of terrorism. I think President Obama (and I know there are people who don't like him, but I love him) does a great job of not inciting more violence. What he said about this is just fantastic (you can read about it and read his speech here):
    http://www.elephantjournal.com/2016/...morial-speech/

In any case, I think it's natural to associate these police officers who did this to all cops, and take it a step further, to all whites. Just like we could associate all terrorists with all Muslims and further to all middle easterners. But I think we know that is a mistake.

This isn't an entire culture doing this. This is just a few assholes that are unfortunately in a position to harm people.

In the 90's, I remember another slogan: "It's a Black thing. You wouldn't understand." And that's the flipside of racism. I think when a group is so segregated sometimes that they further segregate themselves into a sort of subculture because their culture has betrayed them. And that's a shame because Black people and White people are just people, just Americans, living together.

I hate that Black people refer to themselves as African Americans. They shouldn't have to! They are American. I am American. This is all of our country. We should be able to have the same opportunities, the same treatment, etc.

But that is not reality. The reality is that African Americans have been treated like shit for years here. Inner city schools don't get the same level of education as wealthier public schools, and that's bull. We have a lot of social baggage to get through in this country. This "weed" has deep roots, so it takes time to be rooted out. But I know that we are, as a whole, getting more and more sick of this.

We are talking about human beings here, not sub-humans. Violence and crime is higher in African American neighborhoods; but it has nothing to do with being African American! It has to do with poverty. And, again, poverty has to do with the way African Americans have been treated: slavery, sharecropping, etc.

And poverty, like racism, is not simple at all. I think it all starts with each of us. We each have to individually act different, be different, choose our words carefully, investigate how we discriminate or have racist roots, even if we think we aren't racist, they are there just by virtue of being part of this culture.

Another good blog post about this from Brad Warner: http://hardcorezen.info/white-people...of-people/4657

I just had to write something about this.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Are Black people practice in any Zendos?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Who how to get in touch
    Tai Shi
    std
    Gasho

Hello,

No one dies at the wrong time.

Lives don't matter.

Hug someone.

NOW!

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 07-16-2016 at 07:42 PM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

No one dies at the wrong time.
    This is true. However, if someone needs food we feed them.

May I become at all times, both now and forever
    A protector of those without protection
    A guide for those who have lost their way
    A ship for those with oceans to cross
    A bridge for those with rivers to cross
    A sanctuary for those in danger
    A lamp for those without light
    A place of refuge for those who lack shelter
    And a servant to all in need
    For as long as space endures,
    And for as long as living beings remain,
    Until then may I, too, abide
    To dispel the misery of the world.

-- Sāntideva, Bodhicaryavatara (The Way of the Bodhisattva)

As Risho points out, racism is worldwide and not just restricted to the color of ones skin. It seems to be a fear of anything different.

All lives matter, none more or less than the other. And I understand that the BLM movement understands and agrees with that. However, I wonder if a slightly different slogan would have gained greater acceptance by non-black (BLM Too!!) I am old enough to have seen segregated bathrooms, drinking fountains, heard racist jokes told more openly, and vulgar name calling used to describe people openly. I was a teenager most of the 1960s and saw great strides made to bring harmony and equality to America. Though is has been too long of a road stemming from America's dark past of slavery (we were not the only country or ethnicity to to have slaves but it was ever so present and a war over it divided us. Scars still remain today from that war from so long ago). In my life I have witnessed laws being enacted to ensure equality and help reduce under representation of minority groups in the work place and colleges. All good things, progress being made. And yet during these steps forward I have been called a racist because I am white.

I hear a frustration in my white and hispanic friends that we are perceived as racists by some. Not because of our actions, beliefs or deeds but just because of the color of our skin. And yet we grew up in a time of much change and not only accepted it but embraced it. We went to school with blacks, we worked with blacks, we were supervised by blacks, we had friends who were black, wwe have blacks as family members, we have neighbors who are black, we admire blacks for their accomplishments in the humanites, sciences, art and so on. The other day our President spoke at the Dallas Police Officers funeral and he acknowledge much progress has been made. Sadly he will have another opportunity to address more police officers funerals in Baton Rouge after today.

I hear black leaders call for an open dialogue in our Country. I welcome that. It must be a two way dialogue based upon compassion and understanding. We are one, there is no single side to these issues. As one we can change things more, never perfect because we are not perfect.

Like some of you, I had to say something because of all the violence in America these past few weeks. All the violence around the world. When I sit on these things I realize the world has always been filled with violence against people from long before the Buddha to the present and unfortunately into the future. As historians have shared, some of the violence of peoples clashing in one battle, wars of the past or a sacking of a city by the victor, exhibited more violence than I have seen in my life. However, social media, 24 hour cable news, the internet and other modern communication tools make it now so much more instanteous, vivid, and horrifying. I say this because I fear too many of us will retreat from making a difference, be discouraged, think the world is coming to end in our time, etc. This knowledge does not make things any easier and sometimes escaping the media is a needed time for healing and strenghtening.

Gassho
    Doshin
    sattoday
    Last edited by Doshin; 07-19-2016 at 12:02 AM.

I don't have much to add but congratulations on your new baby to you and your family, Alan!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Sincere thanks, Kokuu, for sharing this article. The author articulates something that has been on my mind for a while.

While wanting to be an ally to those with less power and privilege than myself (a white man in the United States), I have avoided posting anything on social media for fear of doing so in a superficial way.

At the same time, as part of our Bodhisattva vows ('sentient beings are numberless, I vow to save them'), we are called to act.

First a few thoughts on some of the earlier posts. I agree that all lives matter and that you can find racism everywhere people are present, as Brad Warner's article points out. However for those of us living here in the U.S., the reality is we live in a systemically racist society in which white people are privileged over people of color.

For example, I never worry about being stopped randomly by the police as I am driving around town. I also don't have to worry about how I would be treated if I were stopped. A friend of mine who I've known since childhood who is black reported to me that he has been stopped numerous times over the years and that he worries about his treatment each time. Likewise, I don't have to coach my daughter on how to behave were she to be stopped by the police. If I were a black father of a son, I would most certainly teach him how to behave in such situations.

To be clear, I believe police officers have an extremely difficult job and that most of them do an excellent job. I have a police officer who is a friend and have a brother-in-law who is a police officer. However, even for the majority of us who do not believe ourselves to be racist, we can act in racist ways and take part in a system that perpetuates racism due to our unconscious bias, as explained in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/op...rt-6.html?_r=0

Getting back to the article Kokuu shared, I found two takeaways:

One concrete act we can take, for those of us who feel called to do so, is to participate in local Black Lives Matter groups. I plan to investigate what is available locally in my area.

The second item is the need for more honesty around race in our sanghas, and the lack of people of color. I would suspect the number of lower income people of color in Zen centers in the U.S. is almost non-existent, though I don't know that for a fact. Hopefully Treeleaf, which reaches across borders and connects with people in non-traditional ways, can be a shining example of what a diverse sangha looks like. I plan to be more vocal in discussing Zen and this sangha to people of color I interact with who may be longing for such a community and practice.

Deep bows,
    Matt
    #SatToday
    Last edited by Matt; 07-21-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Are Black people practice in any Zendos?

Hi Tai Shi,

there are angel Kyodo williams and Zenju Earthlyn Manuel as teachers, for starters. I know that people of colour practice at Fire Lotus Temple in NYC and Zen Mountain Monastery, and they have programs about diversity and addressing fear of difference. Probably there are similar initiatives in other groups too.

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Racism is actually a coined term created to discourage discernment. In this case: discrimination. Which I have found to be possibly one of the first politically correct terms created.

The fact is that all of humanity are "racist". We tend to discriminate against that which is unfamiliar or undesirable within and without our culture and race. All in the name of ethnic and culturally personal preservation.

It makes sense, too. Accepting multicultural ideals and genius has always been the staple of humanity i.e. the silk road. However, mingling of races has never been a desired way of intigration. It has in the past and clearly now prooves to be disastrous (you need look no further than Belgium, France, and Germany).

You see, every race has a culture with an ideal way of living life. Integrate those people into another races lands and you will see strife. And this strife will continue until one race of people come out as the dominate race. As said before, you need look no further than western europe (and some parts of the east).

Racism, no matter how you perceive it...is actually necessary. It's necessary for the cultural, economic, and scientific advancement of all of mankind.

Why do you think there are so many Japanese buddhists who disapprove western soto-zen? Let's use our heads here, guys.

Kyle,
    Sat2day

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Excellent article, thank you, Kokuu.

Hi Careless Voice,

thinking about your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Careless Voice View Post
    Racism is actually a coined term created to discourage discernment. In this case: discrimination. Which I have found to be possibly one of the first politically correct terms created.
    Racism is a case of discrimination... a discrimination by race, not by money, social position, intelligence, style, city-part, religion....

The fact is that all of humanity are "racist". We tend to discriminate against that which is unfamiliar or undesirable within and without our culture and race. All in the name of ethnic and culturally personal preservation.

It makes sense, too. Accepting multicultural ideals and genius has always been the staple of humanity i.e. the silk road. However, mingling of races has never been a desired way of intigration. It has in the past and clearly now prooves to be disastrous (you need look no further than Belgium, France, and Germany).
    I think people, having to fight for their living are much more vulnerable to separation, division and 'racist' thoughts.
    We are more and more people on this planet.
    It is the only way for further development, to leave the "racist" fear of our animal brains behind and let culture and education rule the game.
    I haven't seen a 'race mingling' over here in Germany.
    Usually, immigrating looks like creating poor sub-cities inside the city and pressing other races in there. They live their lives pretty much on their own. This only creates problems... and should not be called integration... well and yes, it is disastrous.
    Personally I would appreciate, if we'd get a really mixed races 'view' if looking in the streets here in Germany. This still is not the case in most parts.
    Humans are very fast in adapting to new environments.

You see, every race has a culture with an ideal way of living life. Integrate those people into another races lands and you will see strife. And this strife will continue until one race of people come out as the dominate race. As said before, you need look no further than western europe (and some parts of the east).
    more and more pressure on the individuals living might lead to this 'keep your food and things to "the yours"' mindset.
    but still, the solution would be the exact opposite. I don't believe in the theory of 'a dominant race will come out' and rule it all.
    Culture is something, that is changing constantly... and our views, opinions, living and education is changing it right now.

Racism, no matter how you perceive it...is actually necessary. It's necessary for the cultural, economic, and scientific advancement of all of mankind.
    NO. It is the future death of mankind. it is a weapon of the powerful against the poor. A birth of fear, anger, hate and ignorance.

Why do you think there are so many Japanese buddhists who disapprove western soto-zen? Let's use our heads here, guys.
    I know, I am writing a lot about culture... but also here, I think this if part of japanese culture, like it is part of my german culture (different but same)...

yes, we really have to get rid of this dividing stuff.
    Please, Kyle, don't misunderstand my writing as trying to tear you in pieces.
    It's just that for me, being a German, facing racist thoughts and culture remains on a daily basis; it is quite emotional.
    My Granddad was very nice, happy old guy... and a despicable, disgusting nazi-functionary.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hello,

The concept there are three . . .four . . . five races is dumb. There's one race, human. Everything else is bigotry, ethnicity or idiocy. Peel our skin off: we're all African. Have a day!

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Kyle,
    Sat2day

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Discernment is one think, but discrimination involves biased stereotypes and prejudices. The latter will not be tolerated here, whether it comes from a Sangha member or a Japanese Roshi or Buddha himself.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    NO!!! Racism in ANY form is toxic and destructive in ALL its forms and should not to tolerated!

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

The neighbors in my old HS neighborhood were black, and for the most part they were better off than we were, and we all seemed to get along. Money does a lot to create distance and mistrust. Again, are there some Black folks who practice Zen? I've read a book by a black woman who found her way with Chan Buddhism though friends and neighbors didn't get it--that's my story that no one in this community maybe has ever heard of Zen or Buddhism. Family think what I do is crazy--I stay quiet. Practice and live and let live.
    Tai Chi
    std
    Gassho