Thread: June 3rd-4th, 2016 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

June 3rd-4th, 2016 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Today's Talk will dance recent Koans from the Book of Serenity, POSTED BELOW.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 06-13-2016 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Updated podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Cases from the Book of Serenity

CASE 51
    Hogen's “By Boat or Land‘

PREFACE TO THE ASSEMBLY
    Worldly dharmas enlighten many people. Buddhadharma deludes many people. Suddenly become one: Can there be any delusion or enlightenment?

MAIN CASE
    Attention! Hogen asked Kaku Joza, "Did you come by boat or by land?'' Kaku Joza replied, "By boat." Hogen said, "Where is the boat?" Kaku answered, "The boat is in the river." After Kaku left, Hogen asked the monk beside him, "Tell me: Did that monk who was just here have the Zen eye or not?"

APPRECIATORY VERSE
    Water does not wash water,- gold does not trade for gold.
    Ignoring its color, obtain a fine horse.
    Without its strings, enjoy a lute.
    Tying a knot, divining with sticks—
    Then there is this matter:
    Utterly lost is true, innocent, ancient mind.

~~~~~~~~~~

CASE 52
    Sozan's Dharmakaya

PREFACE TO THE ASSEMBLY
    All knowledgeable persons are able to learn by parable and analogy—but when comparisons cannot be made and when it's impossible to find something similar or identical, how can it be expressed?

MAIN CASE
    Attention! Sozan asked Toku Joza, "Buddha's true dharmakaya is like the vast sky. Its conforming to things and manifesting shapes is like the moon in the water. How can this principle of conforming be expressed?" Toku said, "It's like the donkey seeing the well." Sozan remarked, "Well said, but that's only eighty percent of it." Toku rejoined, "How about you, Osho?" Sozan replied, "the well sees the donkey."

APPRECIATORY VERSE
    Donkey sees the well, well sees the donkey.
    Wisdom contains without exception,
    purity permeates more than enough.
    Behind the elbow, who discerns the sign?
    Within the house, no books are kept.
    Loom threads don't hang, a matter of the shuttle.
    Patterns emerge every which way.
    The intent differentiates of itself.

Note: This resonates with Dogen from the Genjo Koan ...

The image of the moon in the water reminds me of this most beautiful image painted by Dogen in his Genjo Koan ...

Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great, the moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass, or even in one drop of water.
    Enlightenment does not divide you, just as the moon does not break the water. You cannot hinder enlightenment, just as a drop of water does not hinder the moon in the sky. The depth of the drop is the height of the moon. Each reflection, however long or short its duration, manifests the vastness of the dewdrop, and realizes the limitlessness of the moonlight in the sky.

To carry the self forward and illuminate myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and illuminate the self is awakening. ... To study the buddha way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly. When you first seek dharma, you imagine you are far away from its environs. At the moment when dharma is correctly transmitted, you are immediately your original self.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

CASE 53
    Obaku's Dregs

PREFACE TO THE ASSEMBLY
    Having opportunity and not seeing a Buddha: Great enlightenment has no teacher. Human emotions are eliminated by the sword that regulates heaven and earth. Holy understanding is forgotten in the activity that catches tigers and buffaloes. Tell me: Whose stratagem is this?

MAIN CASE
    Attention! Obaku addressed the assembly, saying, "All of you without exception are eaters of wine-dregs. Going on pilgrimage here and there, when will there ever be a day for you? Don't you know there are no Zen teachers in all of Tang China?" At that time a monk who was there stepped forward and said, "What about those everywhere who have disciples and lead assemblies?" And Obaku remarked, "I don't say there's no Zen, just that there are no teachers."

APPRECIATORY VERSE
    Roads being split, threads being dyed—how bothersome!
    Catching at leaves and lining up flowers ruins the Ancestors.
    Subtly grasping the handle that educates Southerners, the cloud-and-water inscribing tool is on the potter's wheel.
    Tangles and shards removed and crushed, downy hairs razored off.
    Balance scale, bright mirror, jeweled ruler, golden sword:
    Old Obaku even divines autumn fur,
    cutting off the spring breeze, not allowing arrogance.

~~~~~~~~~~

CASE 54
    Ungans Great Compassionate One

PREFACE TO THE ASSEMBLY
    The eight compass points bright and clear. The ten directions unobstructed. Everywhere, bright light shakes the earth. All the time there is marvelous functioning and the supernatural. Tell me: How can this occur?

MAIN CASE
    Attention! Ungan asked Dogo, ''What does the great compassionate bodhisattva do when she uses her manifold hands and eyes?" Dogo said, "It's like a man who reaches behind him at night to search for his pillow." Ungan said, "I understand." Dogo said, "What do you understand?" Ungan said, "All over the body are hands and eyes." Dogo said, "You've really said it—you got eighty percent of it." Ungan asked, "Elder brother, how about you?" Dogo replied, "Throughout the body are hands and eyes."

APPRECIATORY VERSE
    One hole penetrates space. Eight directions are clear and bright.
    Without forms, without self, spring follows the rules.
    Unstopped, unhindered, the moon traverses the sky.
    Clean, pure, jeweled eyes and virtuous arms:
    Where is the approval in "throughout the body" instead of "all over the body"?
    Hands and eyes before you manifest complete functioning.
    The great function is everywhere. How could there be any hindrance?
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-03-2016 at 03:48 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Looking forward to it, I will be there live with bell and mokugyo ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Will be here/there live. Hopefully won't doze too much.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Thank you so much Jundo! I will be sitting 'live' the entire Zazenkai one way. Keep well!

Thank you, Jundo. I will be there 2-way, technology allowing. Otherwise 1-way.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Hi all,

I'll be there live as soon as I get home tonight. If not, I'll have to sit one over the weekend.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'm going to bed now, and will finish the last sections over the weekend.

Gassho and thank you Jundo and Sangha.

Sat today

Thank you, Jundo, Shingen, and everyone. The talk added to my understanding of koans. Sitting with everyone was wonderful (even if difficult).

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank you all. I managed to join in from the middle of zazenkai and will sit with a recording
    of first half during the weekend.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone, lovely to sit with you all. =)

Jundo, I tried to come up with some question at Q&A and found I was in my head too much searching for something ... but then when I sat moments later this came to me ...

Mirror mirror on the mirrorless wall
    Who is the greatest, non-greatest of them all?

Oriental-Furniture-Standing-Laughing-Buddha-Statue-STA-BUD41.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Last edited by Mp; 06-04-2016 at 04:53 AM.

Today i Sat with all of You in the monthly zazenkai live. It was very good to be with you.
    Jundo talk was very good like always.
    I Will try to see everyone like a Zen teacher.
    Gassho my friends, David
    Sattoday

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Happy birthday to my namesake!

I don't know if this is helpful, but I've looked up the knots and sticks a bit.
    Both seem to have been an ancient Chinese form of divination.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kau_cim
    https://books.google.de/books?id=013...0knots&f=false

Fu Hsi, the legendary king who is associated with knots and sticks in the advent of Chinese writing, is also credited for inventing (and stringing) a kind of lute instrument.

So, as long as there is no difference (water/water, gold/gold) there is no friction.
    Someone with plain answers can be simple, or enlightened, or both.
    But once you start writing things down, creating distinction, innocent ancient Mind is lost?

Thank you all.
    Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

I could only sit for part--realizing I have more time--that all does not have to be done yesterday. Think of Suzuki Roshi who has told from so many years ago that we woul not want unlimited life--oh yes the body wears out--the love in my life lives in the daughter we raised together. And yes I may live another 30 years, but what to do if this not my wish.
    Tai Shi
    Calm
    std
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

I know we are limited to two posts, and I want to thank Shingen what a great leader for the end of the day Shinkantaza. I like his dog. Though I was deeply into sitting. Thank you for sitting with me.
    Tai Shi
    Calm
    std
    Gassho

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgwyn View Post
    I know we are limited to two posts, and I want to thank Shingen what a great leader for the end of the day Shinkantaza. I like his dog. Though I was deeply into sitting. Thank you for sitting with me.
    Tai Shi
    Calm
    std
    Gassho

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    You are welcome Tai Shi ... it was great to sit with you this evening - calm and still. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you all.
    've had a busy week, so sat this one in two portions.

"water does not wash water, gold does not trade for gold."
    there is no friction, when being one with the 10000 things.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Finally finished sitting with this... thank you everyone. (sitting with mouth open)

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Podcast link was to the May episode. This has been updated. ^_^

Direct link:
    http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/june-2...k-of-serenity/

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Podcast link was to the May episode. This has been updated. ^_^

Direct link:
    http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/june-2...k-of-serenity/

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Thanks Sekishi.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today