Thread: [Engaged] Homeless Care Packages

[Engaged] Homeless Care Packages

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has been posted before but I did not see anything using search.

Homeless Care Packages is something I have done before and want to start doing again soon. I just wanted to post the general idea here if anyone wants to do something similar. Also, please be advised of any particular laws in your area that makes feeding the homeless illegal (rolls eyes).

Anyway, I saw the idea online and if you search "Homeless Care Packages" you can get some good lists/ideas. I would go to a dollar tree (a store where everything is $1) and buy multiple of the following items:

Socks
    Toothbrush/Toothpaste
    Water bottle
    Mini first aid kit
    Soap
    Shampoo
    Comb/brush
    Canned meats
    Crackers/various other food
    Sunscreen
    Lotion
    Chapstick/lip balm
    Fingernail clippers
    Non-alcoholic hand sanitizer
    Candy/gum (figured it may lift their spirits)
    Pack of tissues/wipes
    Duct tape (I heard that's very useful when homeless)
    Space blanket
    Etc.

I would buy multiple amounts of these items and pack small backpacks or easily carried bags with each of these items and more. You can also include in the package a list of contact information and locations for food banks, shelters, assistance programs, etc.

I would keep these bags in my car and if I saw anyone who was homeless I would hand them a bag. No judgement on whether they were actually in need or not. However, every single time I gave out a bag the people were extremely grateful or shocked by what I gave them.

You can make smaller kits with just essentials or tailor the kits for different needs. My goal was just to make at least one other human being's life at little easier (even if small) and show them that people do actually care.

Just wanted to share this idea in case anyone hasn't heard of it before and would like to try it.

Gassho,
    Tyler.

SatToday

Wonderful, thank you!

Gassho, gassho

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Great. Maybe we could make this one of our upcoming projects here?

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Since I am still very new here, what is the best way to make this an upcoming project (assuming members are interested)?

Gassho,
    Tyler.

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by TyZa View Post
    Since I am still very new here, what is the best way to make this an upcoming project (assuming members are interested)?

Gassho,
    Tyler.

SatToday
    Contact our Shugen, please, who leads our Engaged Center.

Gassho, Jundo

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has been posted before but I did not see anything using search.

Homeless Care Packages is something I have done before and want to start doing again soon. I just wanted to post the general idea here if anyone wants to do something similar. Also, please be advised of any particular laws in your area that makes feeding the homeless illegal (rolls eyes).

Anyway, I saw the idea online and if you search "Homeless Care Packages" you can get some good lists/ideas. I would go to a dollar tree (a store where everything is $1) and buy multiple of the following items:

Socks
    Toothbrush/Toothpaste
    Water bottle
    Mini first aid kit
    Soap
    Shampoo
    Comb/brush
    Canned meats
    Sunscreen
    Lotion
    Chapstick/lip balm
    Fingernail clippers
    Pack of tissues/wipes
    Space blanket
    Etc.

I would buy multiple amounts of these items and pack small backpacks or easily carried bags with each of these items and more. You can also include in the package a list of contact information and locations for food banks, shelters, assistance programs, etc.

I would keep these bags in my car and if I saw anyone who was homeless I would hand them a bag. No judgement on whether they were actually in need or not. However, every single time I gave out a bag the people were extremely grateful or shocked by what I gave them.

You can make smaller kits with just essentials or tailor the kits for different needs. My goal was just to make at least one other human being's life at little easier (even if small) and show them that people do actually care.

Just wanted to share this idea in case anyone hasn't heard of it before and would like to try it.

Gassho,
    Tyler.

SatToday
    Hello,

Not to mention, the above would make a great emergency kit kept in any vehicle!

Thank you for the lesson.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Lovely Tyler ... a wonderful way to give back. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Good point, Myosha!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Myosha, you're right. I would be a good idea to keep one in your car (maybe a larger first aid kit). Thanks!

Gassho,
    Tyler.

SatToday

Hello everyone,

Socks
    Toothbrush/Toothpaste
    Water bottle
    Mini first aid kit
    Soap
    Shampoo
    Comb/brush
    Canned meats
    Sunscreen
    Lotion
    Chapstick/lip balm
    Fingernail clippers
    Pack of tissues/wipes
    Space blanket
    Etc.

Gassho,
    Tyler.

SatToday
    What a great idea!

Thank you,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Myosha View Post
    Hello,

Not to mention, the above would make a great emergency kit kept in any vehicle!

Thank you for the lesson.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    A bit off topic, but this reminds me of a conversation I once overheard with a Japanese Roshi here in Japan, earthquake land. Someone asked, "If we are to accept all things just as they are, and all things as they come, why prepare"? He answered something like, "Accept all things as they come. Accept earthquakes. Accept your preparations. Accept having plenty of batteries".

Gassho, J

SatToday

This is truly a wonderful idea Tyler! Thank you for offering it to us along with a great supply list. I would definitely be interested in doing something like this.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    "Accept all things as they come. Accept earthquakes. Accept your preparations. Accept having plenty of batteries".
    Haha, wonderful advice!

Gassho,
    Tyler.

SatToday

I love this idea Tyler!

My wife and I are looking for simple ways to get our kids involved in charity; I think going through this entire process together with them (creating a list, shopping, etc.) would be a great way to spend an afternoon with them.

Thank you for the inspiration

Gassho,
    Marco

Tyza,
    Thank you for this wonderful idea.
    Gassho.

Theophan
    (Sekishi)
    Sat Today

Wonderful, thank you for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful family project

..sat2day•合掌

Hello all,

Thank you again Tyler for this wonderful idea!

Where I live, it is starting to get very hot. Even if we can't provide everything, perhaps some bottles of water? (I am not a fan of bottled water, but can not think of a feasible alternative..... ideas anyone?)

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Homeless Care Packages

We made some care packages a couple weeks ago. Ours had a toothbrush, toothpaste, food, flip flops, socks and a small key chain flashlight. Stay away from chewy or sticky foods because the homeless often don't get the dental care they need and those types of foods can irritate their mouths. We used gallon zip lock bags for packaging.

..sat2day•合掌
    Last edited by Troy; 06-21-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Homeless Care Packages

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    We made some care packages a couple weeks ago. Ours had a toothbrush, toothpaste, food, flip flops, socks and a small key chain flashlight. Stay away from chewy or sticky foods because the homeless often don't get the dental care they need and those types of foods can irritate their mouths. We used gallon zip lock bags for packaging.

..sat2day•合掌
    Very good suggestion. Thank you.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post

..sat2day•合掌
    Great to hear it Troy! And good suggestion about chewy/sticky foods. Flip flops are a great idea!

Regarding the bottled water issue, I usually include a reusable water bottle that was empty (I didn't want the pack to be too heavy). Maybe if you are in a larger city you could include a list of shelters/homeless friendly locations where they could fill up the bottles (possibly churches? I can't imagine many churches would turn away homeless people from using a little of their water to fill their bottles). Worse comes to worse (at least in the city) they could fill the bottles up from water spouts located outside many businesses or faucets in restrooms. I know that may sound gross to some but it's the same water out of the tap.

Other thoughts I've floated were buying a bunch of prepaid cards for places like subway or the like. That way they can get a drink (unlimited refills in the States at least) and a sandwich or two. Or possibly buying a bunch of prepaid bus cards so the homeless can have better access to shelters and food banks.

It was over 110 F heat index (43.3C) a little while ago where I live, so this is definitely an issue. Most of the homeless I see always have a reusable water bottle with them. So they are getting the water from some sources, I just hope it is from safe potable sources. The larger cities seem to have more resources for the homeless than smaller cities or towns, which is where I worry about them not having sufficient water the most.

Gassho,
    Tyler

SatToday

Wonderful ideas!

Thank you,

Shugen

#sattoday

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi,

Our daughter and her friends had a party (wine tasting, actually), and made up many such packages. Then they passed them out to other friends who carry them in their cars. Homeless folk stand at intersections, and it is simple to hand them a package. It's now become a tradition. Win win win.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post
    Hi,

Our daughter and her friends had a party (wine tasting, actually), and made up many such packages. Then they passed them out to other friends who carry them in their cars. Homeless folk stand at intersections, and it is simple to hand them a package. It's now become a tradition. Win win win.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today
    That makes me smile.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi All,

At one time I was a member of a church, and we made up boxes for children. We have a homeless shelter that includes families,
    These might include, as well as health and safety items:
    crayons
    coloring books
    non hazardous toys
    blunt nose scissors
    Notebooks
    stick glue
    pencils
    pencil sharpeners
    rulers

So many children cannot afford basic school supplies. And something for fun.

Just a thought.
    Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post
    Hi,

That's fantastic Meishin! Glad to seen another Texan by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Elgwyn View Post
    Hi All,

At one time I was a member of a church, and we made up boxes for children. We have a homeless shelter that includes families,
    These might include, as well as health and safety items:
    crayons
    coloring books
    non hazardous toys
    blunt nose scissors
    Notebooks
    stick glue
    pencils
    pencil sharpeners
    rulers

So many children cannot afford basic school supplies. And something for fun.
    That's a great idea Tai Shi. Another way to help kids that way if you can't physically do that in person is through Donor's Choose. The website allows you to donate to many classrooms in low-income schools that the school can't fit in its budget. Sometimes it is things as simple as arts and crafts and books for their library.