Thread: The Art Circle Library Thread.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Art Circle Library Thread.

The Treeleaf Art Circle Library is a Zen Buddhist Arts and Culture resource for our community.

Members are invited to post the following….

Visual (photos and video), audio, digital, and interactive links, documenting art, craft, story, and music, directly related to the cultural transmission and practice of the Buddha Dharma. This can include both historical and contemporary work, including your own creations that have been publicly displayed*.

Each posting should begin with the tags #traditional, or #contemporary, or #treeleaf artist. The title should be clear and descriptive. The names of craftspeople involved and the time-frame of activity should also be included. Many great works of Buddhist Art have been created by anonymous craftspeople within a loose time frame. When this is the case you can reference the historical period of production. Any background information you can provide, including links, will be helpful.

Please direct any questions to me by PM, and thank you very much for participating.

Gassho
    Daizan
    Sat today

* Please do not be shy about including your own work on a thread containing historical work. If you have created Buddhist inspired art, grounded in your practice, and publicly displayed, you are doing what people have done for thousands of years.

#traditional

Realm of the Hungry Ghost.

Hungry_Ghosts_Scroll_Kyoto_2.jpg

An Image from a Japanese scroll which describes the realm of the hungry ghosts and how to placate them. Currently housed at the Kyoto National Museum, artist unknown.

Gassho
    Daizan
    sat today

Dogen's Fukanzazengi

Fukan.jpg
    Zen Literature Website
    Wikipedia Excerpt

Dogen zenji's Fukanzazengi, a text written when he was 26 years old, after he had just returned from studying at Ch'an temples in China. This text contains pointers for the practice of Zazen in the monastery Dogen established with Imperial support. But it also contains the essence of Dogen's theory of what "enlightenment" is and how it relates to everyday activity, such as taking up the sitting posture in the Dharma Hall.

gassho, Shokai
    Last edited by Shokai; 04-09-2016 at 01:59 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

#contemporary

I like these two artists from Japan ... the first is a bit of an acquired taste perhaps ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Murakami

Takashi Murakami’s first solo exhibition in Japan in 14 years, set to open to the public at the Mori Art Museum at the end of October.

The centerpiece of this exhibition is “The 500 Arhats,” a hundred-meter-long painting inspired by a series of dialogues that Murakami conducted with art historian Tsuji Nobuo that is being shown in Japan for the first time. Consisting of four separate sections, each named for one of the Chinese guardians of the four celestial directions (blue dragon – east, white tiger – west, red bird – south, black tortoise – north).

Murakami’s epic painting was created in part as a gesture of thanks to Qatar, one of the first nations to offer Japan assistance in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami of March 2011. It was unveiled to great acclaim at the “Murakami – Ego” exhibition, held at the Al-Riwaq Exhibition Hall in Doha in 2012.

Originally, the 500 arhats were believed to be the enlightened disciples of Buddha who worked to spread his teachings. Their faith was transmitted to Japan during the Heian period and continued to penetrate the farthest reaches of the country in the form of relic-like paintings and sculptures.

“The 500 Arhats” also owes a deep artistic debt to Murakami’s historical predecessors from the Edo period, some of whose works will also be displayed as a counterpoint at this exhibition. Nagasawa Rosetsu’s rendition of the same topic, painstakingly and minutely depicted on a microscopic 3-centimeter-square area, seems to capture the cosmos in miniature. Kano Kazunobu’s sprawling “Five Hundred Arhats” series, on the other hand, consists of 100 painted scrolls created over a ten-year period that portrays the arduous training undergone by the arhats.

I also like this mid-20th Century woodblock artist ... Shikō Munakata (棟方 志功 Munakata Shikō?, September 5, 1903 – September 13, 1975) ... also Arhats ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shik%C5%8D_Munakata

More here:

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=Mu...w=1745&bih=868

Gassho, J

PS - Even in traditional Asian images, the 500 Arhats are often shown with their own very unique, human and often funny personalities. Here is an example ...

http://www.gokunming.com/en/blog/image/small/9539.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-09-2016 at 02:40 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    #traditional

Ensō

In Zen Buddhism, an ensō (円相 , "circle"?) is a circle that is hand-drawn in one or two uninhibited brushstrokes to express a moment when the mind is free to let the body create.

More can be read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ens%C5%8D

Enso.jpg

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

A Bhavacakra I made last year #treeleafartist #contemporarybuddhistart
    bhavacakra3.jpg

My favorite Buddha I've ever come across. This one is from China circa 1300's depicting Shakyamuni as an acetic. This one is one display at the Birmingham Museum of Art in Alabama which has an amazing Asian art section. Really unique stuff there. #traditionalbuddhistart
    2015-10-20 14.07.42.jpg

Gassho

Sat Today

#treeleaf artist

Meditations on Gratitude and Winter from Spring by Charles Taylor.

Special collections, Grinnell College Library.

Meditation on Space

Night sky shows clear,
    Sixty miles gale forced wind
    Vacuous points toward

Space above air, insight
    Ash, maple, river birch,
    Gone, cut from hot sand, earth,

This drought as dry February,
    Clouds capture dusk, then night,
    Filled with dark matter,

No oxygen, I turn to stars,
    Escape gravity, earth below
    Stratosphere ionic layer

Dissolves last of atmosphere,
    More than seventeen thousand
    Miles an hour into orbit,

Floats into vision, gone again,
    Into light hours past
    Jupiter, past my solar vision,
    Thousands of unexpected forms,
    Sun propelled at speeds
    I cannot comprehend,
    Atoms once in cubic space

Empty, insidious, natural
    Black space rests again.
    Tai Shi
    Charles E Taylor
    Gassho
    Last edited by RichardH; 04-11-2016 at 01:58 AM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

#traditional

"The Paradise of Maitreya"

A "dry fresco" by Zhu Haogu and Zhang Boyuan created in 1298. Located in the Bishop White Gallery of Chinese Temple Art , Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto.

ROM2011_11995_2.jpg

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

# treeleaf artist

Hi there - probably best if I just enter my website link - the most specific piece influenced by Buddhism is an installation I exhibited with a fellow artist - entitled
    Skypath.

www.paulaburns.co.uk

The second novel (on the novels page) entitled 'Conversations with Leopard' definitely mirrors Zen philosophy regarding the challenges of life - the final chapters
    deal specifically with my 'journey' thus far - beginning with a chance encounter with the teachings of Thich Nhat Hahn. There are also some reflections on my journey towards becoming an artist.

The earlier novel 'Blue Grey Island' also takes art as a theme and is quite Zen in its import (though the central character goes through a journey of losing and regaining his Catholic faith).

Just now - I'm thinking deeply on the convention of the Book of Hours - and wondering about working on a Buddhist equivalent. Does anyone have any ideas ?

I'd like to include art/poetry and music.

Gassho

Willow/Jinyo

sat today

#treeleaf artist

http://annecooperstudio.com/rakusu%20project.html

FEEL OF THE NEEDLE: THE RAKUSU PROJECT
    I began working on this project several years ago and have had 2 performance/ installations (one in Albuquerque and one in Austin) with plans for more. I am a contemporary artist working in multi-media. This was my first choreographed performance. And it was a wonderful experience putting it together. And working with my amazing cast.

There is a link on the URL posted (page from my website) to see the 20 minute performance done in my studio a year and a half ago. IN all I have sewn 60 of the paper garments and have plans to continue sewing. Although I only use 21 in the performance/installations.

I learned to sew the paper facsimile rakusu from Taigu and learned about Santoka Taneda from Taigu as well. Bowing to Taigu and Treeleaf!!! such inspiration...

deep bow.
    Anne
    ~st~

The Birth of Buddha

Buddhist Treasures

baby buddha.jpg

The birth of the Buddha, Mural by Soliyas Mendis, Kelaniya Vihara, early 20th century. Soliyas Mendis' paintings are remarkable in showing their roots in the art of Sri Lanka and ancient India while serving the contemporaneous needs of Buddhists on the Island.

gassho,
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

The Buddhist art of the Mogao Caves

Secrets of the Silk Road

buddha cave art.jpg
    In a secret cave on China's ancient Silk Road, one of the world's most incredible collections of art lay locked away in darkness for 900 years.

gassho,
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

#contemporary

Here in New Mexico we must have an artist for every 5 people. A visually rich state, both with talent and beauty.
    I will post several fellow artist's work over the next couple of days. Once I get the OK from them.

Today's post is the website of Susan Myo on Linnell. Sue's work is highly reflective of her dharma influence. She is currently in Okayama at Sogenji studying with Shodo Harada Roshi.

Her art career and Buddhist history is clearly stated on her "history" page, and you will find interesting work (ENSO paintings/ oxherding paintings) on the "artifacts" page. Sue is a wonderful painter and with her immersion in Zen the focus has turned more to the minimal and spare. When I first met her she was considered an abstract expressionist (early 80s).

IN my opinion she's one of the top painters in New Mexico.

http://www.susanmyoonlinnell.org/

Enjoy!
    bows...

Anne

~st~

#contemporary #traditional

Tenshin-en contemplative garden at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Watch the two videos at bottom of the page for a better look.

http://www.mfa.org/collections/featu...den-tenshin-en

Gassho
    Sozan

s@2day
    Last edited by Sozan; 04-11-2016 at 09:57 PM.

#contemporary
    _/\_

Patrick Nagatani is an emeritus professor retired from the University of New Mexico. He was in the photography department although its hard to classify him as only a photographer.
    The Buddhist inspired work is shown on his website under BODIES OF WORK - tape-estries. Be sure to read the "statement" under the tape-estries heading. He describes his process in making these works and his inspiration. Essentially and with amazing results he "paints" with masking tape. You will need to scroll down to the "Buddhist Tape-estries" to see the dharma inspired work. Fortunate for me we own "Introspection".
    He is an amazing artist. much admired both regionally and nationally.

http://www.patricknagatani.com/

respectfully submitted,
    Anne

~st~

#traditional

Enso, painted by Kaz Tanahashi

enso.jpg

I bought an enso from Kaz Tanahashi a bit more than a year ago. It hangs on the wall of my home office, the room where I sit.

Gassho,

Kirk

SatToday
    流文

I know nothing.

#contemporary

These two photographers both have a strong Zen practice, one trained in Soto the other Renzai.

Margot Geist ... http://www.geistlight.com/#/FINE%20A...SNAPS/1/thumbs

James Burbank (sits with 2 other men in the area calling themselves "THE THREE STONES", which I find an endearing name, is a photographer and a writer. Unfortunately the amazing spare poems that accompany these photos are not on his website, He published a book of them and the images last year titled THE OXBOW POEMS Slow Walks on the Rio Grande. He lists them on facebook, but I don't have an account so I don't want to post anything I've not seen.
    please go to BEYOND THE RIO on his home page and make sure the sound is on to hear the chants accompanying the images. nice.
    http://jimbu0.wix.com/mysite

That's it for now. Sorry to have inundated you with so much local art work inspired by the dharma, but I find it most relevant and beautiful. And hope you find it an interesting contemporary interpretation of one's practice.

bows,
    Anne

~st~

I'm not an artist but did make this Jizo from white cement and rebar in memory of my mother. It was installed in the garden at Zen Center of L.A. about 16 years ago.
    Attachment 3465Attachment 3466
    Last edited by FaithMoon; 04-14-2016 at 04:26 AM.

FaithMoon...
    Indeed you are an artist.
    A beautiful Jizo.

#contemporary

Just remembered another wonderful contemporary artist working with Buddhist theme...
    Montien Boonma
    I have a book of his work Temple of the Mind. He did very beautiful work, deeply inspired. He died young and not too long ago, sadly.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/arts/art/reviews/n_8660/

bowing again
    Anne

~st~

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    #treeleaf artist

I definitely do not consider myself an artist, but I do doodle from time to time. Here is a digital "painting" made on an ipad a few years ago.

5861281679_cf3b3b0657_z.jpg

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Last edited by Sekishi; 05-03-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    #treeleaf artist

I definitely do not consider myself an artist, but I do doodle from time to time. Here is a digital "painting" made on an ipad a few years ago.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Nicely done Sekishi by a "not consider myself and artist"! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

#treeleaf artist

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Nice

#treeleaf artist

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Wow! That's amazing!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Very cool Sekishi.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

#contemporary #photo journalism

monk-in-shanxi-reutersmedia-net.jpg

"A monk prays for a dead man in the station hall of the Shanxi Taiyuan Train Station in Shanxi, China, November 25, 2011. A monk who was waiting for the train performed a religious ceremony for the man, who was found dead, Xinhua News Agency reported. REUTERS/Asianewsphoto"

http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/...eId=USRTR2V1YD

It was also voted (on the Phoenix TV network in China) as one of the most important Buddhist event of the year: http://fo.ifeng.com/special/2011zhongguofojiao/

---

One could argue about the nature of journalism vs. art of course. But I post this photo because I believe it both illustrates in simple tones what fearlessness and compassion can look like, and because it is part of how I ended up joining Treeleaf.

This photo really struck a good friend of mine, and was a Dharma gate of sorts for him - putting his feet on the road to Buddhist practice. He keeps a print of it hanging on his wall as a reminder. Anyhow, at some point a few years ago, he stumbled across Treeleaf and told me about it, and I joined! Causes and conditions! ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Last edited by Sekishi; 05-07-2016 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added new link.

"A monk prays for a dead man in the station hall of the Shanxi Taiyuan Train Station in Shanxi, China, November 25, 2011. A monk who was waiting for the train performed a religious ceremony for the man, who was found dead, Xinhua News Agency reported. REUTERS/Asianewsphoto"

It was also voted (on the Phoenix TV network in China) as one of the most important Buddhist event of the year: http://fo.ifeng.com/special/2011zhongguofojiao/

---

One could argue about the nature of journalism vs. art of course. But I post this photo because I believe it both illustrates in simple tones what fearlessness and compassion can look like, and because it is part of how I ended up joining Treeleaf.

This photo really struck a good friend of mine, and was a Dharma gate of sorts for him - putting his feet on the road to Buddhist practice. He keeps a print of it hanging on his wall as a reminder. Anyhow, at some point a few years ago, he stumbled across Treeleaf and told me about it, and I joined! Causes and conditions! ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi

When you mentioned this photo in a conversation a week or so ago, I thought I had seen it, but this is the first time. It is really powerful and I'm not sure why. The dead man, the yellowish light, the crowd curious but staying away. I remember when my father-in-law died in the night, and having to dress him and put in his teeth before the family came over. He had gone from a man we could hug to a cold pale thing you don't want to be in the same room with. How much more so for a stranger, on a hard seat, in the sour light of a busy station? The monk is showing the man respect and preserving his dignity.

Deep bows
    Daizan

Sat today
    Last edited by RichardH; 05-07-2016 at 11:47 PM.

Mp

---

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Truly a powerful image of compassion ... thank you for sharing this Sekishi.

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Nindo
    #contemporary

Dave Tinman Edgar, artist, veteran, Zen practitioner

http://tinmanstudio.org/

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Nindo
    #historic

From an old thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post
    A couple days ago, I visited the Art Institute of Chicago. They have a great collection of Japanese, Indian, Southeast Asian, and Himalayan Art. Needless to say, lots of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, as well as Hindu deities. I put up a flickr set of photos, if anyone would like to take a look (I did the best I could without being allowed to use a flash :wink: ).
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/263805...7626294771402/

Nindo
    #historic

another old thread linking to Asian art collection in Washington DC

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-Washington-DC

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

The Art Circle Library Thread.

Statute of Kannon at my local art museum. He/she is about 8 ft tall and carved completely from wood. It amazes me every time I see it

It was made during the Liao Dynasty (907-1125) in China.

..sat2day•合掌
    Last edited by Troy; 06-02-2016 at 08:28 PM.

#Contemporary

"Seated Woman" -- bronze sculpture by Francisco Zuniga (1975).

seated-woman-480sq-lq.jpg

I do not believe there to be any "Buddhist influence" to this piece (Zuniga's works often depict the indigenous women of south-eastern Mexico), but it just really spoke to me when I visited it this week. The inherent dignity of her seated pose is inspiring and not unlike that of a Buddha (to these eyes anyway).

Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday

Nindo
    #historic

Two visits to the Musee Guimet in Paris, 2005 and 2016.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wgrien...57671734689955

Gassho
    Nindo

Nindo
    #historic

A visit to the Glenbow Museum in Calgary, June 2016.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wgrien...57671606952496

Gassho
    Nindo

Mp
    Wonderful photos Nindo, thank you! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today