Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Engaged Ethics (& Zenathon for Treeleaf's 10th Anniversary)

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Engaged Ethics (& Zenathon for Treeleaf's 10th Anniversary)

First, I would like to point everyone to our upcoming ZENATHON, for 10 days starting April 1st (March 31 in some places) through April 10th, marking the 10th Anniversary of Treeleaf Sangha. Sangha members and friends will be sitting somewhere in the world, in all time zones, to mark the event. We are also very fortunate to be able to celebrate together with the traditional day marking Buddha's Birthday in Japan, April 8th (details on that soon). In our Community, we have people sitting all over, in all times, dropping away all thought of "here and there". If you are available to sit with us, here is information on how you can note your times to sit (or if your schedule requires, you can also just pull up a Zafu when you can).

... And on to today's topic:

As part of our focus on Treeleaf's Engaged and Charitable Projects Center, I have been looking at how the traditional Virtues (Paramitas) of a Bodhisattva aid and guide us in our volunteer, charitable and socially engaged activities in the world. This time, we look at how ethics and the Precepts are a vital foundation for our activities.

Truly, they open the heart. An appreciation of the importance of life, of not taking what has not been given, of not using others, of honesty and like virtues all help us along.

THE DOWNLOADABLE AUDIO PODCAST VERSION IS HERE:

http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/march-...h-anniversary/
    Last edited by Sekishi; 03-28-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Lovely talk Jundo, thank you ... and I look forward to our engaged practice together. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you, Jundo.

Something I very much appreciate and respect about Buddhism in general, and TreeLeaf in particular - balance and a good dose of common sense.

Gassho,
    Kim
    Sat today
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Hello,

Ethics and integrity (doing right, even if no one's looking) can help. Lying is its' own reward. IMHO.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Here is the simply tragic and pointless story of theft and murder that I mentioned in my talk ...

A couple killed in a Platte murder-suicide embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars from an educational cooperative they both worked for, including federal funds aimed at helping South Dakota American Indian students prepare for college.

Attorney General Marty Jackley at a press conference Wednesday said Scott and Nicole Westerhuis funneled as much as $1 million from Mid-Central Educational Cooperative to a group they created, American Indian Innovation Institute (AIII), to subsidize the group's payroll.

The announcement came almost six months to the day after Scott Westerhuis killed his wife, Nicole, and the couple's four children, Kailey, Jaeci, Connor and Michael, before taking his own life.

... ssentially flowed that money through false invoices ... into projects on his home, other personal related items that were not helping Native American children,

http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...lion/81857374/
    Gassho, J

SatToday

Thank you for this teaching.

I'm not entirely sure how to phrase my question, or indeed if it is a question. When I listened to your talk I wondered what Master Dogen would say about the possibility of "undoing the blackness in one's heart".

Is there a notion of 'undoing', or do we simply allow these things to fall away by living life according to the Precepts?

I'm not sure that makes any sense, but it is a question that came up for me.

Gassho.

[SatToday]

Hello clhw,

I am not qualified to answer your question, but I will answer from my own recent experience.

Reading threads here, watching Jundo's sit-alongs, practicing zazen, and reflecting on various texts and pdf's available here ...... I have noticed myself letting go of old residual anger and becoming more peaceful inside. Sounds small, but it's big for me. The changes have been subtle, but overflowing into my daily life. I didn't realize it consciously until last night.

Whether the changes I've quietly been experiencing are related to your question, I don't know.

But I do know that the practice and precepts here work for me. I believe they work for others also.

Gassho,
    Kim
    Sat today
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Eishuu
    Thank you Jundo. Looking forward to the Zenathon.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

Thank you, Jundo. The Precepts are important to my practice.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Jundo,

Thank you for the teaching.

Gassho
    Doshin
    Sattoday

Thank you, Jundo, for this and for the opportunity to learn and live the Precepts.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by clhw View Post
    Thank you for this teaching.

I'm not entirely sure how to phrase my question, or indeed if it is a question. When I listened to your talk I wondered what Master Dogen would say about the possibility of "undoing the blackness in one's heart".

Is there a notion of 'undoing', or do we simply allow these things to fall away by living life according to the Precepts?

I'm not sure that makes any sense, but it is a question that came up for me.

Gassho.

[SatToday]
    Hi clhw (would you mind signing a human name to your posts?)

This old talk is about what I would say, if I understand your questions correctly. Let me know if not or anything else which comes to mind ...

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: ATONEMENT / AT-ONE-MENT
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...NT-AT-ONE-MENT

The blackness in your heart does not need to be in your heart. Your heart is red and vital.

Gassho, J

Thank you for the teaching, Jundo.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat-today

Thanks for this talk, Jundo.
    Deep bows,
    Matt
    #SatToday

Just a little note that the podcast for this has been posted above.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Thank you, Jundo, for this teaching.

Gassho, David

Sattoday
    David Cravidão Lopes Pereira

Yes. Ethics and the precepts are the foundation, because we are giving all the time, even when we're not aware of it. What we contribute to the world -- the actions we choose, the ethics we embody, the way we interact with others -- flows continuously from the heart. Black heart, red heart, soft heart, hard heart, selfish heart, angry heart, kind heart... We practice to lessen the effects of greed, anger, and ignorance in our hearts, and this works its way out into the world in everything we do.

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today