Thread: Oryoki Practice Circle Meeting One

Oryoki Practice Circle Meeting One

Hello all,

Welcome to the Oryoki Practice Circle.

We will meet Sundays 9:30am New York City Time (6:30am Los Angeles California - 2:30pm London England )

LINK TO BE POSTED BELOW:

In our first meeting we will go over the different components of the Oryoki set and discuss how we shall procede. Please bring your complete or partial Oryoki sets.

Here is a link that provides some measurements to make your own:

http://terebess.hu/zen/szoto/oryoki-instructions.pdf

Here are the approximate measurements for the "Hattan" and "Mizuita":

Hattan measurements:
    24cm x 33cm; 9.5in x 13in.

Waterboard:
    21cm x 6.75cm; 8.25in x 2.75in.

Remember to mute your microphone.

I look forward to practicing together!

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Last edited by Shugen; 03-06-2016 at 03:57 PM.
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Thank you Shugen ... will see you all tomorrow morning. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

I'll be there with my pillowcase (sorry, busy on another project! No offence, Shugen.) and a confused face
    ;D

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Quote Originally Posted by Jika View Post
    I'll be there with my pillowcase (sorry, busy on another project! No offence, Shugen.) and a confused face
    ;D

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    Perfect!

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you tomorrow.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi Jika,

Does konstruktionspaper or bastelpapier help? It is a stiff, colored paper that is used in children's schools for art projects.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

konstruktionspaper or bastelpapier
    I believe one could find it at a regular stationery shop or similar.

Thank you all. A good start

Gassho
    Washin
    sat-today

Does konstruktionspaper or bastelpapier help?
    I'm not sure. There is "Tonpapier" for a coloured paper heavier in weight, and "Tonkarton" (very heavy, will not fold nicely).

Both have a rough surface, that was the reason for my question.

I think I've never seen a craft paper with as well ordinary/heavy weight as glossy/water-repelling surface.

And apart from the internet luxuries you mentioned, Shugen, I can't find nesting bowls.

Have been trying stores big and small, cheap and expensive.

Sometimes colourful plastic, sometimes ceramic, but never nesting.
    (The German market seems to have no need for nesting bowls smaller than salad bowls to feed a family...)

I'll start with tupper bowls, sorry; maybe I can get at least the right paper.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Hi Jika,

It sounds like the "tonapapier", in black if you can find it, will work. You can't tell from the video but my hattan has a rough surface.

Tupper bowls are good if you can't find any thing else. You do not need to apologize. We work with what we have. The important thing is the sincerity we bring to our practice. And, if I may say so, you have quite a lot!

I am happy to be practicing together.

Deep Bows,

Shugen

#sattoday

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    Hi Jika,

It sounds like the "tonapapier", in black if you can find it, will work. You can't tell from the video but my hattan has a rough surface.

Tupper bowls are good if you can't find any thing else. You do not need to apologize. We work with what we have. The important thing is the sincerity we bring to our practice. And, if I may say so, you have quite a lot!

I am happy to be practicing together.

Deep Bows,

Shugen

#sattoday

Let me just jump in here a bit. Maybe I would not recommend tupper plastic bowls except as a completely last resort. Any bowls that more or less fit inside each other, even if not a perfect fit, are fine. A bit bigger bowl, a medium bowl, a little smaller bowl etc. You may already have such bowls in your kitchen now if you try seeing what fits into each other.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you all.

Many thanks for your encouragement, Shugen.

Two years Rohatsu (with going through my cupboard, and my mother's, and friends'...) have yielded interesting results - like French cider bowls, I had always thought those where coffee mugs! - but no nesting result...

The quest goes on.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Thank you Shugen,

I will follow the videos, practicing with you all together.
    Most of the local Sunday late noons, I'll be with local friends and family, so not joining live on a regular basis.

I've made my Oryoki cloths last year for our Rohatsu and they have dark olive-green color.
    Do you think that's ok, too? Or maybe it's better, having all treeleafer sets in the same, blue-grey color?

The first video was very clear to understand, but it was difficult to see, what you've been doing on the board,
    because the little boxes with the other participants interfered with it.
    Not really important for this video, because you lifted all the things you've been talking about above them,
    but maybe interesting for further sessions.

@Jika,
    I'll give black "Tonpapier" with 130g/m2, that I've found in a "Schreibwarengeschäft" a chance.

Thanks again,
    gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I'll give black "Tonpapier" with 130g/m2, that I've found in a "Schreibwarengeschäft" a chance.

Kotei, any idea for the bowls???????
    PM me if you want.
    Thank you,
    Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Hi Kotei,

Dark olive green cloths are fine for our purposes.

And, I'll work on the camera angle!

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi,

Jika, unfortunately, I have no idea regarding the bowls,
    I've made mine at a wood-turning workshop in our local makerspace and I'm afraid, I couldn't repeat it without the guidance of the guy who led the workshop.

Thank you, Shugen, so it's just the Hattan and Waterboard, I'll have to make.

I am happy, practicing with you all.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Washin View Post
    Thank you for the link.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    明道 修眼
    As a priest in training, please take everything I say with a "pinch of salt"
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Yes, thank you Washin. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#justsat

Hello all,

Here is a video demonstrating how to put all the cloths, bowls and utensils together.

“This food comes from the efforts of all sentient beings past and present…”

We are not “just” assembling our Oryoki sets so they will be ready for the next meeting, we are also expressing our gratitude for the food that allows our existence. We are doing this one thing but this one thing includes everything. I once read there are only three things necessary for practice; the Dharma -expressed not only through the Buddha’s words but also through the things around us, Shelter – represented by the Okesa or Rakusu, and Food – represented by our bowls.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Thank you Shugen ... =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you.

Gassho
    Jika
    #sattoday
    治 Ji
    花 Ka

Thank you for sharing the video, Shugen.
    I have made hattan from the 'tonpapier' (160g/m2) and cut out the mizuita from a piece of solid cardboad
    (0.5 cm thick)I have succeeded to find, but the final piece appears to be 2cm shorter (19cm).
    Is it acceptable or I have to make another attempt?

Gassho
    Washin
    sat-today

Thank you for sharing the video, Shugen.
    I have made hattan from the 'tonpapier' (160g/m2) and cut out the mizuita from a piece of solid cardboad
    (0.5 cm thick)I have succeeded to find, but the final piece appears to be 2cm shorter (19cm).
    Is it acceptable or I have to make another attempt?

Gassho
    Washin
    sat-today
    Hello Washin,

I don't think the 2cm will be a problem. You are also welcome to make another attempt if you would like.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    Hello Washin,

I don't think the 2cm will be a problem. You are also welcome to make another attempt if you would like.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Hi,

Thank you for the new video, Shugen.

Encouraged by the diy Hattan thread from Sekishi: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...aking-a-Hattan (thank you!), I've had to try something myself.
    Some old cloth was used as a painting pad and black shellac polish (30% shellac in alcohol) in totally 6 layers produced a somewhat more structured surface, than the sprayed ones.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

hattan-2.jpg hattan-1.jpg

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Hi,

Encouraged by the diy Hattan thread from Sekishi: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...aking-a-Hattan (thank you!), I've had to try something myself.
    Some old cloth was used as a painting pad and black shellac polish (30% shellac in alcohol) in totally 6 layers produced a somewhat more structured surface, than the sprayed ones.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

Beautiful work on the Hattan Kotei. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you for sharing the experience (and link), Kotei.
    I, too, was thinking what to do with my current version of hattan.
    So I will proceed with polishing it.

Gassho
    Washin
    st

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Hi,

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

Very nice work! Thank you for sharing.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    明道 修眼
    As a priest in training, please take everything I say with a "pinch of salt"
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Thank you for your kind words.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Thank you, Shugen, for these videos. Reviewing them has been very helpful for me. A question came up, though. I ordered my oryoki set from the LA Zen Center. The centers of my bowls are red and my wrapping cloth and napkin are white. My napkin and cleaning cloth are a different size from yours. Is that okay? Thank you again.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    Thank you, Shugen, for these videos. Reviewing them has been very helpful for me. A question came up, though. I ordered my oryoki set from the LA Zen Center. The centers of my bowls are red and my wrapping cloth and napkin are white. My napkin and cleaning cloth are a different size from yours. Is that okay? Thank you again.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday
    Hello,

Hmmm... As long as it's not a really big difference in the size it should be fine. You want to be sure the napkin is large enough to cover your lap. White is not the best color choice for the napkin and wrapping cloth (stains really show up). It's not a big deal though. You can try dyeing them if you're concerned. The red center bowls are okay also.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Thank you. I'll think about dyeing the napkin and wrapping cloth. The napkin does cover my lap, but not my rakusu at the same time.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    Thank you. I'll think about dyeing the napkin and wrapping cloth. The napkin does cover my lap, but not my rakusu at the same time.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼