Hi all
I am looking for precise instructions for placement of legs and hands in kekkafuza (full lotus). The instructions in Uchiyamas' "Opening the Hand of Thought" are rudimentary and when I search the internet, what I am looking for doesn't come up, so thought I would ask here. I am well aware that out bodies are different, and that we each have to find our posture on the given day, and that it may change over time, but still I think a discussion on instructions could be fruitful. And please remember that my questions are for kekkafuza alone, not any other way of sitting.

1) placement of legs: usually it just said "place right foot on left thigh and left foot on right thigh. But where on the thigh? There might not be that much room, but where one place the right and second foot greatly impacts how the rest of the posture is expressed. Is there a guideline that elucidates this anywhere? The usual drawings in zen books and pictures are not very helpfull, since they don't exactly follow the wording. Ex. in Uchiyama the usual instruction is given, but figure 4 show the person sitting with feet on his shins (lower leg beneath knees) and not thighs.

2) placement of hands: cosmic mudra (what is the sanskrit and/or japanese name for this?), in front of the tanden. Hands resting at the crease of the hips. So behind the heels or on top of the heels? How one positions ones legs greatly affects how one can sit with ones hands. Ex. if I rest my hands on the heels, there will be an imbalance, since my heels are not level, how could the be when on lig is on top of the other?

Mucho from Antaiji, wrote a long description of different taks on kekkafuza and posture in general a while back, but the images linked are no longer functional.

If interested I can try and post pictures of my questions. But will wait to see if this discussion is of interest to anyone.

If my questions in this post already has been answered in another post, please point my to it.
Gassho
Jesper
#sattoday