Thread: Sense...smell, hearing....etc

Sense...smell, hearing....etc

Good morning everyone...

Curiious...

What to do with senses...smell, sound, sight, etc.

i have found that although I can sit anywhere, anytime, I feel most at one with everything if I burn incense..which takes me to my happy place, ring bells to start and stop, etc.

Do your sense take you deeper, do you turn them off, or do you let them flow, or other?

Kind of like smelling a certain aroma, perfume might remind you of someone, or take you to a place in your past.

hmmmmmm ...

Gassho
    Frank
    Sat today

Mp
    Hello Frank,

From the Heart Sutra, "No sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, nor object of mind" ...

Just like a busy mind, we neither push it away or grasp ahold of it ... just allow it to be; let the thoughts come and let them go. The five senses are no different ... allow them to sense, yet try not to get trapped by them - as well, try not to push them away when unwanted.

Yes, certain senses can draw us to places of the past, both good and not-so-good ... just try to stay present right here, right now. If you find yourself being pulled by that sense, recognize it, accept it, and the come back to the present moment. This may come to you right away or it may come to you over many tries, either way just sit and be present.

I hope that helped. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday #with a crazy itchy foot

Thanks Shingen

Gassho

Frank

Paraphrasing Tendo Nyojo Zenji and Dogen Zenji:

"Drop off body and mind"

When body and mind have dropped away who is it that sees, hears, smells, tastes, feels and thinks?

Gassho

Ryan

Sat Today
    Breathe...Relax...Let Go...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Curiious...

What to do with senses...smell, sound, sight, etc.
    Hi Frank,

I’d say, during zazen, do the same thing with senses that you do with the table in the room, the tree outside the window, the engine in your car, the movement of all the bugs in the world creeping and crawling, the burrito your neighbor is putting into his microwave, the tides of all the oceans, the trajectory of the planets, and the tears and laughter of all humanity. Let it be.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Yes, some wise advice from the folks above, Frank.

Just let the eyes be the eyes, the ears the ears, etc. ... what is seen be seen, heard just heard ... without judging what is heard and seen,

... nor even thinking "eyes" or "ears" or naming and pondering what is seen and heard. Do not focus on the seer or the seen, hearer or the heard.

Pay all no nevermind.

And perhaps, a Clarity right through all human seeing hearing thinking will Shine Through In and Out of the Eyes.

Does that seem sensible?

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-18-2016 at 03:34 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

Do your sense take you deeper, do you turn them off, or do you let them flow, or other?
    Deeper where? There is nowhere to go.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Joyo
    One thing I've learned from practicing Zen, the less I over think the better.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Hi Frank,

Rituals are nice and can help us focus on what we are engaged in. During Zazen, we just let it all go...

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Gassho
    Frank
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    One thing I've learned from practicing Zen, the less I over think the better.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Joyo, I can relate to that.

Gassho
    Randy
    sattoday

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Joyo, I can relate to that.

Gassho
    Randy
    sattoday
    You too, hey. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Hi Frank.

I just let everything go without judgment or comment. Sometimes I light incense. Most of the times I don't and just sit with the nice car exhaust smell of the city. Sometimes I smell other homes' breakfast.

There's noise, change of lights, my girlfriend watching Netflix, the hum of my computer's fan... everything just slips into nothingness and at the same time it's all there.

No mind.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'm not adding anything new here but yes, don't gravitate or run from any particular sense group, let them be as they are. It's actually far more relaxing and unwinding then when you 'try' to do something with them. That not trying non-action, action to me feels most like taking off a pair of cheap dress shoes that you had to wear all day and merely 'adjust'/figure what to do with senses throughout. Don't know if this is the best example, just my take.

Metta,
    Greg

Sattoday!

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk
    “A fine line separates the weary recluse from the fearful hermit. Finer still is the line between hermit and bitter misanthrope.” - Dean Koontz

Thanks everyone.

Kyonin..."no mind"... I know this, and I like it. Also reminds me the movie Last Samurai with Tom Cruise. He was learning to fight and he kept super focussing on everything, and was told by a young samurai, "No Mind". He eventually got it.

Gassho All
    Frank
    Sat today

Haha, yes, I have that too! Incense works! But then, no self... As long as there is differentiation between you and the incense that makes you feel 'at one with everything' you're still at a loss. Forget the incense. Don't feel one, be one.

Thank you

Gassho
    Ongen
    Sat today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source