Thread: Metta for Bernie Glassman Roshi

Metta for Bernie Glassman Roshi

Bernie Glassman Roshi, one of the great teachers of our Zen Way and Engaged Practice, is in hospital after a serious stroke.

Let us offer Sitting and Metta for him and his family, and all who are ill today.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo,

Sending Roshi much love and metta, wishing a speedy recovery and ease for his family.

Gassho
    Shingen

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Sitting and practicing metta this morning for Bernie Glassman Roshi.

Gassho Daizan

sat ..sit.. just now. today

Yes, I just saw this. Sending much love and metta to him, his family and friends. I will dedicate my sitting to him and all who are ill in health at this time...for there are many.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Sad news. Sitting for Bernie tonight. Metta to all around him..
    Gassho
    Sergey/Washin
    sat-today

I too will sit for Bernie and his family tonight. Deep metta to all those around him.

Gassho,

Simon/Jakugan

Sat today

Kyotai
    Offering Metta

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Sorry to hear that... sending Metta.

Gassho
    Jakuden/Sierra
    SatToday

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Sitting for Bernie today and sending metta.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Sending metta.

Gassho,
    Sven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Words and ideas are a description of reality, silence is a negation of reality. What is the reality itself? — John Daido Loori

blog: http://www.svendavisson.com

Joyo
    He is definitely in my thoughts, will dedicate my evening sit to him.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thank you for the heads up.

Sitting for him and sending metta.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thanks for letting us know, gassho; metta.

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Bernie
    Definitely hope he is doing well
    Does anyone recommend a book or talk or anything. His name has been coming up in very many things I've been reading lately, time to go figure it out haha
    :O)
    Gassho,
    Rodney/Banto SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Unfortunately I don't know anything about Bernie
    Definitely hope he is doing well
    Does anyone recommend a book or talk or anything. His name has been coming up in very many things I've been reading lately, time to go figure it out haha
    :O)
    Gassho,
    Rodney/Banto SatToday
    Hey Rodney,

I remember reading the Infinite Circle way back in the day ... I found it to be a good read, but have not read much else by him. =)

https://books.google.ca/books/about/...d=-orrbnigUPkC

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Here is some information about his life ...

http://zenpeacemakers.org/bernie-glassman/

and a little taste ...

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jundo,

Great little video, thank you.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Eishuu
    Will send metta to Bernie and his family. Rodney, I am reading 'Infinite Circle' and really enjoying it. There's a recent book my husband is keen to read called 'The Dude and the Zen Master' by him and Jeff Bridges, though I don't know much about it.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    'The Dude and the Zen Master'
    I liked this book.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Right now the prognosis for recovery from neurologists and rehabilitation doctors is good to very good;
    http://www.lionsroar.com/zen-teacher...ial-statement/

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat-today

Thank you, Sergey, gassho

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Hello,
    Here's the post on Bernie sent today.
    Bernie's Health

Dear Family and Friends,
    Bernie suffered a stroke on Tuesday 1/12/2016 around 1pm EST. He spent 36 hours in Intensive Care, was “downgraded” to Neurological Intensive, and as of this evening was “downgraded” again to a regular hospital room in Baystate Health Springfield Hospital. His condition is stable ​and the plan is for him to enter an acute rehab program, probably early next week, for a period of 2-4 weeks. The stroke, due to a hemorrhage, affected the left side of his brain, thus resulting in very little movement in the entire right side of his body and also undermining his speech, which is now so slurred that we can only understand around 20% of it (a substantial improvement over Tuesday). No change to his eyebrows.
    We are immensely grateful to Baystate Hospital and all its staff for superb care of Bernie and patient and honest interactions with us. The Montague town police and ambulances came some 10 minutes after we first called, and Bernie got “anti-stroke” medications within 30 minutes of the stroke itself, a great tribute to these first responders. This quality care continued in Franklin Medical, our local adjunct hospital, and then in the far larger Baystate in Springfield.
    Alisa Glassman, Bernie’s daughter, flew in from Washington, D.C. and she and his wife Eve Marko are by his side. Marc Glassman, Bernie’s son, lives in Jerusalem and was in constant contact. They are supported by local Zen Peacemaker Order members, by the Green River Zen community, by Pioneer Valley friends, and of course by Rami, Bernie's assistant and spokesman to the world.
    Bernie has his struggles. His understanding of words, too, is diminished but doctors expect that to be fully remedied. We hear “too many people” a lot from him, a lifetime refrain, and wants everybody to leave him alone. As usual, nobody listens. But yesterday, the day after his stroke, our alarm went off for the noon minute of silence for peace. He lay quietly, and then, with difficulty, raised his good hand in half-gassho. (continued)
    Read the Complete Report, and of Ways to Support Bernie in his Recovery Here

full gassho!
    Anne
    ~st~

Hello,

What an awesome pain in the ass to maintain bodhisattva when transition is here.

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thanks Jundo for the video, wow now I'm really interested in learning more about him. Inspirational.
    Thanks for the recommendations for Infinite Circle and will check out The Dude and the Zen Master too.

Gassho

Banto ->Sat2Day

Thanks Jundo
    I have seen him during a workshop in Ghent last year, and I have been sitting in a sangha with one of his Dhamma successors since 2005. We performed the Gate of Sweet Nectar sutra this evening, to remember all the people that suffer from illness, including Bernie Glassman.

Sending metta to all,

Gassho

Ensho