Thread: [Engaged] Blanket/Coat Drive

[Engaged] Blanket/Coat Drive

Hello fellow Treeleafers!

As I mindlessly reached for my jacket this chilly morning, I stopped and looked in my closet. I must own a dozen different coats. My wife and children have at least the same number. How much is enough? How much is too much? How many do we actually need?

Thoughts of coats led me to thoughts of warmth. I wonder how many blankets we have? Again, how many do we actually need? How much is too much? How much is enough?

I would like to propose that we, to the best of our ability, take a moment to go through our closets, chests, wardrobes and storage bins. Involve friends, coworkers and family as we can. Perhaps, if it really calls to us, create a coat or blanket drive at our place of work or in our neighborhoods. If we don’t have coats or blankets to give, or if we live someplace where coats and blankets are not needed, is there something else that can be gathered?

Once our items are gathered, what then? There are multiple organizations that would love to be helped out! An internet search will turn up many different ideas. Big, small, many, few it does not matter! Maybe we too can Open a Door for someone and offer the gift of giving.

“No Giver, No Gift, No Receiver”

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Hello Shugen,

This is a wonderful idea and wonderful way to give and share to people in need. I will go through my closet with this weekend and see what I can share. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Joyo
    Wonderful idea, Shugen. I know at my children's school they have requested parents to donate warm winter clothing. I've seen it myself when at work, little ones outside on a cold winter day with no gloves. How sad.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Yes. Good.

Any tips on how to organize such a drive?

I would suggest that the Salvation Army, Goodwill or any local charity that gets clothes to the needy and is established in doing so may be the best way to go. It does not matter, by the way, where the clothes or a hot meal come from, or the creed of the source or sponsor of the organization. Getting warm clothes and hot meals to the the cold and hungry is all that really matters.

Yes, giver gift and receiver are one.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I would suggest that the Salvation Army, Goodwill or any local charity that gets clothes to the needy and is established in doing so may be the best way to go.
    Good ideas Jundo ... for me here in the valley we have a local church that is the primary drop-in/soup kitchen for the homeless. Anyone can go directly to them and drop off any form of donation. The one aspect that I like about that is, the donation is going to direct use to people in need right now. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Great idea! We were just collecting some coats in our household to donate to Coats for Kids, a local charity in the New York Capital District area.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Hello again,

Here is a quick link to a Google Search for some ideas on how to go about organizing a drive:

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=how+to+organize+a+blanket+drive&gws_rd=cr &ei=GKlpVsbgL8aNmwXn45jgAQ

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Yes, wonderful idea......this actually was on my to do list this weekend, to donate to Syrian refugees just arriving in Canada.
    gassho,
    Marina sat today

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Good things people. Your actions lift my spirits. Thanks for your generosity to all those who are in need.

Gassho
    Randy
    sattoday

Thank you for sharing this, Shugen.
    Thanks for all people's comments.

This is a great idea indeed. I have been 'cleaning up' our house closets during the last year and we gave away
    lots of clothes and shoes we do not Actually need to the local Volunteer Centers which assist refugees from the
    East of Ukraine. I agree, we never know "how much is enough" and "how much is too much" until we make
    ourselves examine the matter. Past years we had the same practice making donations via the neighboring
    Christian monastery.

Gassho
    Sergey
    sat-today

Hello all,

A brief update: We decided to not just do coats but also other article of clothing and even some toys and household goods. (A good excuse to clean out the closets and cupboards!) It has all been donated and is being put to good use! I found it a very concrete way to see how connected we all are.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Way cool, Shugen! Nicely done.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    Hello all,

A brief update: We decided to not just do coats but also other article of clothing and even some toys and household goods. (A good excuse to clean out the closets and cupboards!) It has all been donated and is being put to good use! I found it a very concrete way to see how connected we all are.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Awesome Shugen! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Hello all,

I wanted to remind folks there is still a whole lot of winter left...

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Always a good reminder. Thanks, Shugen. I am a minimalist at heart, so I'm always bugging my wife, "do we really need this?" But I know this does not come naturally for many (like my co-worker, who counted 300+ pairs of shoes in their house )

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that for about a month now I have been part of a movement here called "Take one, leave one". It's a social experiment in many cities where people leave blankets, coats, scarves and sweaters hanging in a wall for poor people to take.

If people can donate, the go and hang the clothes. Poor people come (mostly at night) and take them to keep them warm.

So far the experiment has worked nicely!

12359946_10156338429735088_4911658969904643052_portadaa.jpg

The sign reads:

Are you cold? Take one.
    Want to help? Hang one.

Hope there are more things like these in other countries.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Very cool Kyonin.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Mp
    What a great idea Kyōnin. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

That's great Kyonin.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    明道 修眼
    As a priest in training, please assume I don't really know what I'm talking about....
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Wow, this is a great idea! In some cities in the Northeast U.S. last winter, a thing caught on where people were leaving hats and scarves in trees for people to take... it hasn't been that cold around here until now this year, but your post made me remember it.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

I love finding take one/ leave one spots around communities! I think it is a great idea, but I see it most often with books.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.