Thread: Rebirth... (cue dramatic musuc) DUN DUN DUUUUUN

Rebirth... (cue dramatic musuc) DUN DUN DUUUUUN

For some reason the whole rebirth concept seems to cause a fair number of disagreements. My take on the subject certainly seems to ruffle some feathers. It seems, to my limited perspective, that we're all just parts of some vast whole, existing under the illusion of seperation. It would stand to reason, that I have literally been born as every living being, past, present, and future. I'm also that table over there, a rock in central Europe, a grain of sand in the Sahara, the planet Neptune, and any other depentently origiated formation you can or can't imagine. Now, I don't mean the little ego "me" when I say that. It dies with my body. Heck, that thing dies every moment. It's the first thing we study to really drive home that whole impermanence thing (or if I want to speak Therevada for a moment, the arising and passing away of phenomena). It's not really that difficult to grasp. I guess the reincarnation fans don't like it because they have to face their impending demise. I just thought I'd toss that wording out there for you lovely folks to mull over.

Gassho
    Carey sat today

Hi Carey,

I also say that I find my late parents in every cloud, mountain, blade of grass, star, past present and future timelessly ... But, well ...

Dogo and Zen-gen went to a house [holding a funeral] to show sympathy. Zen-gen hit the coffin and asked, "Alive or dead?" Dogo replied, "I won't say alive, I won't say dead." Zen-gen demanded, " Why won't you say?" Dogo repeated, "I won't say." On their way home, Zen-gen cried, "Tell me right now teacher, alive or dead; if you don't tell me, I will hit you." Dogo said, "You may hit me, but I won't say." Zen-gen hit him.

Later after Dogo died, Zen-gen went to Seki-so and told him the foregoing story. Seki-so said, "I won't say alive, and I won't say dead." Zen-gen said, " Why won't you say?" Seki-so repeated, "I won't say, I won't say." At these words Zen-gen came to awakening.

One day, Zen-gen took a hoe into the Buddha hall and crossed back and forth, from east to west and west to east. Seki-so asked, "What are you doing?" Zen-gen said," I am looking for my teacher's relics." Seki-so said, "Vast waves spread far and wide, foaming billows flood the skies - what relics of our late master are you looking for?"

Zen-gen said, "It is a way of repaying the kindness of my old teacher." Fu of T'ai Yuan said, "The late masters relics are still present. "

Blue Cliff Record 55
    and ...

Somebody asked Hakuin, "what happens after we die?" Hakuin answered, " I don't know." The man said, "Well, what do you mean, I don't know. Are you not a Zen master?" Hakuin said, "Yes but not a dead one."
    http://www.zenmontreal.ca/en/teacher/aliveordead.htm
    We recently had this and some other thoughts on death on another thread, including some death poems by Uchiyama Roshi ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post167887

For folks new to all this, there are a couple of introductory threads on rebirth ...

Jundo Tackles the 'BIG' Questions - VI (Karma)
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...VI-%28Karma%29

Jundo Tackles the 'BIG' Questions - VII (Life After Death?)
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...fter-Death-%29

Gassho, J

SatToday (not dead yet)
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Ooooh, more stuff to read. Thank you for doing the digging, Jundo.

Gassho
    Carey thinks he might sit again today. If his procrastinating ego will let him...

Joyo
    I agree with Jundo, here. I lost my little dog almost 1 1/2 years ago. I still miss him very much, and have times of sadness over his death. It would be wonderful to think that he is in heaven, but of that I am very skeptical. However, in my grief, I am comforted to find him in my new dog (that I adopted from a shelter), in every cloud, tree, and living thing I encounter. I cannot explain it very well, but somehow, it is as if, he is still here.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

By the way, this stunningly beautiful song became popular in Japan a few years ago, here in an English version.

"Sen no Kaze ni Natte" (千の風になって) is a single by Japanese singer Masafumi Akikawa. The lyrics are a Japanese translation of the poem, 'Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep'. ... It was the best-selling single in Japan in 2007.

Don't stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there, I do not sleep
    I am the sunlight on the ripened grain
    I am the gentle autumn rain

I am a thousand winds
    I am a thousand winds that blow
    I am the diamond glint on snow

Don't stand at my grave and cry
    I am not there, I did not die
    I am the swift rush of birds in flight
    Soft stars that shine at night

I am a thousand winds

Don't stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there, I do not sleep
    I am the sunlight on the ripened grain
    I am the gentle autumn rain

I am a thousand winds

The original poem:

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
    I am not there; I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in the morning’s hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry;
    I am not there; I did not die.
    Here is the Japanese version (both lovely, and the Japanese lyrics are somehow even more powerful than in English, but I like the voice of the English version on this one) ...

The song has actually had some effect on Buddhism in Japan, strengthening a bit the movement for so called "natural burials" such as scatterings, away from traditional temple funerals.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-11-2018 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

The song has actually had some effect on Buddhism in Japan, strengthening a bit the movement for so called "natural burials" such as scatterings, away from traditional temple funerals.

Gassho, J
    What manner of effect? I could see that idea either helping or hindering Buddhism, depending on how people are looking at it.

Hi Carey,

Folks, especially the younger generations, are a bit turned off to the idea of traditional temple funerals, especially with regard to cost.

Here is an article, one of many, which explains a little about this.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.VmUeNvkrKUk

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Very beautiful. Nature is such solace for sorrow, ne?
    BTW, I'm betting that last image of pine trees is of the bristlecone pines in the White Mountains near here. Some are thousands of years old. What sorrows have they seen.........?
    _/\_ Shinzan

Hello Jundo,

After reading the article you linked, I see what you mean. This could be a good opportunity for the temples in Japan to reform their system and image. I don't profess to know the solution, but being known as the place you go when someone dies doesn't seem terribly conducive to keeping the dharma alive.

Gassho,
    Carey sat today

Wow, I thought I had read those BIG QUESTIONS posts before, but just reading through the "Life after death?" thread and seeing Jundo's description of "Treeleaf" is just wonderful. I don't believe I read that before. Just love it!
    Going back to re-read it all. Very glad I found that, and very grateful to be a leaf here on this tree.

But I am going to make like a tree now and leaf ...

Yours,
    Rodney SatToday

My uncle just passed away and my family is making cremation preparations and such. My mom's family is Cherokee and she found what she thought was a Native American poem for the service ... I recognized the lyrics from Jundo's post above. Found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not...Grave_and_Weep
    Just interesting to me that she chose this same set of words.
    Gassho
    Rodney SatToday with you all

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    My uncle just passed away and my family is making cremation preparations and such. My mom's family is Cherokee and she found what she thought was a Native American poem for the service ... I recognized the lyrics from Jundo's post above. Found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not...Grave_and_Weep
    Gassho
    Sorry to hear that Rodney.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Mp
    Gassho
    I am sorry to hear the lose of your uncle Rodeny. Will dedicate my sit this evening to you, your family, and to all who have lost the ones we love.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you guys! Very grateful to be in this Sangha
    Gassho
    Rodney SatToday

Peace to your uncle and your family, Rodney.

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you much Jundo. Thanks for posting that video that has had impact on Buddhism in Japan, it's been an interesting thing for me. I sure suspected that the original poem had Buddhist roots.
    Bows
    Rodney S2D

Gassho
    Hi Rodney,

I'm sorry for your family's loss. My sitting today is for you and your loved ones.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

All quite interesting. My wife is a hospice nurse and death is part of her every day. She is an Angel to many people, holding hands as they depart this world, and offering solice to families, coming home to me with a smile. Not sure how long I could do that without it taking some type of toll. I think I may be too empathetic like that.

Thank you for sharing all these. Articles and excellent information.

it is good to know that beyond the physical death of ourselves and others, that we also deal with death in other ways .... Relationships, ideas, hopes, love, the growing up,of a child to adulthood, each of us through the Spring, Summer, Autumn and. winter of our lives ...transitioning as it would... But knowing that even the death of a leaf provides nourishment to the soil for new life....as I think would be similar with all the above.

and so it is.

Gassho

Frank

Rodney, sorry about the loss of your Uncle... I will send Metta and sit for you and your family tonight.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Thank you everyone, I shared your sitting & Metta, concern and thoughfulness with our family at the service. They were all very touched. My uncle was Cherokee and the family did a Native American Indian ceremony with saging and such. It was interesting and meaningful to all.

Anyways wanted to say a deep felt thank you in gratitude
    Love
    Rodney SatToday