Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Rohatsu, Retreat and Family

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Rohatsu, Retreat and Family

This week we celebrate ROHATSU, remembering the Enlightenment of the Buddha who sat under the Bodhi Tree, realizing the end of his long search as he saw the light of the Morning Star. If you cannot travel to a Rohatsu Retreat, we invite you to sit in "retreat" just where you are, with our Treeleaf Sangha Annual 'ALWAYS AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU RETREAT, to be live netcast this coming Saturday and Sunday (or available for sitting any later time when you can arrange).

The two days will include Zazen sitting, Kinhin, Chanting, Zazen sitting, Oryoki, Zazen sitting, Bowing, Talks, 'Samu' Work Practice, and More Zazen Sitting, as in any Soto Zen Retreat, all in celebration of the Buddha's days of Zazen and Enlightenment. Folks will be sitting with us from places as far and wide as Sweden, Mexico, the US, UK, Australia, Canada, Japan, Indonesia, the Ukraine and other places ... all together as a Community, forgetting distance. The retreat is designed to be sat in any time zone around the world through a combination of 'live-live' and 'live though recorded' segments, and one may still join the Retreat and sit-a-long at ANY AND ALL TIME after, by the real time recorded version (no different from the original!). For further details, please have a look here.

One aspect of our retreat is what I call a no where to retreat to" retreat. If life interrupts, if work disturbs, if the children need care and the world cannot be avoided, all of this becomes just part of the "retreat" simply by dropping all thought of "disturbance" and "interruption" from heart. I speak about this in the following talk.

Also, I speak about bringing some of the meaning of Rohatsu home at this time of year for our kids. This holiday too can be a time for families to unite, to bond through doing together, all to bring children into the spirit of the time through the celebration.

The central messages of the holiday ... selflessness, generosity, non-attachment, peace, awakening, compassion, loving kindness ... can be communicated to children in a positive and enjoyable way.

A few years ago, some of our members and I came up with some ideas and events to undertake at home for this Rohatsu, found here. Please try some with your family and let us know what happens.

A PEACEFUL, JOYOUS, CONTENT ROHATSU TO YOU AND ALL SENTIENT BEINGS!

THE DOWNLOADABLE AUDIO PODCAST VERSION IS HERE:

Click for Podcast or Audio Download
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-03-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo Wishing a peaceful Rohatsu to all!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Wonderful. I'll be teaching banjo workshops all weekend but I will be sure to tune in when I can.

Gassho

Sat Today

Thank you

Gassho
    Randy
    sattoday

Thank you Jundo.

Looking forward to sit Rohatsu with you all.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    I too am looking froward to Rohatsu, sitting and practicing with you all. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you.
    Happy to be with you all.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you, Jundo.
    Grateful for the opportunity to be at this retreat with the Sangha.
    Happy Rohatsu to all Treeleafers

Gassho
    Sergey
    sat-today

I'm looking forward to another Rohatsu with all of you. I won't be able to do it live due to a busy wrestling weekend with my boys, but I will complete the recorded version on Mon-Tues.

Thank you all for your commitment to making this happen here year after year!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sattoday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Podcast episode is up: http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/sit-a-...at-and-family/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you Jundo... Wishing the peace and joy of Rohatsu to be with all of you.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Thank you Jundo.

This helps put my heart-mind at ease. My wife is suffering from an acute case of pregnancy and will need my help with our toddler so I will be spending much of my time with them. But I will spend naptime and after my little ones bedtime following the retreat schedule. I also have some tasks around the house that I've been avoiding that would make good candidates for Samu.

Gassho
    Adam
    Sattoday

Jundo,
    Thanks
    Gassho
    Theophan
    Sat Today

Thank you Jundo

I'm looking forward to the retreat.

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jundo thanks,

i will sit with all of you live first thing Saturday and then the rest of the day with
    the Order of Clear Mind Zen. But as you say I will be sitting with everyone even then. Back live on Sunday and then the recorded version of Saturday's on Monday. I figured I needed an extra day, as I shared before one of my teachers once said I needed a lot of work

Gassho

Randy
    sitting tonight

As we enter our Rohatsu season, I would like to bump this thread ...
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    Last edited by Shinshi; 12-07-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Post went awry!
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ