Thread: tailbone pain

tailbone pain

After my sit this Sunday, I started having pain at tailbone when I sit (just regular sit, not talking about zazen here) and a stiff back. Googled this and learnt its called coxydynia. I have been taking tylenol and ibuprofin for past 4 days with minor improvement.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any suggestions or remedies

Gassho,
    Sam

See your doctor.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    See your doctor.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Yup, Jishin says it right, best to check with your doc first!

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Have had this and the cause was falling on it playing sports. It healed by itself with aspirin and ibuprofen.
    You may want to take a natural antibiotic like garlic which may help with any infection in the inflamed area.
    I usually self treat for awile and look for improvements before seeing a doctor but it depends on pain severity.
    I've also used acupuncture to treat similar conditions. This is a sensitive area. In Chinese medicine it is an entry point for energy flowing upwards.

SAT today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Joyo
    I have tailbone pain. I see a chiro and massage therapist for it. I have had to modify how I sit because I find the pressure of sitting on a zafu can be very uncomfortable and cause pain long after I get up. With that being said, mine has been chronic for many years, if your is just starting, I agree with the others that it is best to check with your doctor and/or a chiropractor.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Yes, see your doctor.

And if the sitting is a problem which is causing the situation, sit another way or recline.

Even the Buddha had a bad back and had to take it easy sometimes ...

The Sekha Sutta (M 53), for example, records how the Buddha
    feels back-pains while on a visit to Kapila,vatthu:

Then he said to the venerable Ananda:
    “Ananda, speak to the Sakyas of Kapilavatthu about the learner who has entered the way (to
    awakening) (sekho pātipado). My back is aching; I will rest it.” (M 53,5), SD 21.14

The Avassuta Pariyāya S (S 35.243) records that the Buddha, after saying, “My back aches, so I will
    stretch it,” and lies in the lion posture.
    An old joke ...

The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." Doctor says, "Then don't do that!" **

** (By the way, for other folks, I am not talking about the little, minor aches and pains that come from sitting. It is good to sometimes sit with those little discomforts, letting them be, paying them "no never mind", dropping aversions. I am talking about extreme pain or, as in this case, a physical condition which is being inflamed by sitting and could cause bodily harm. Best to avoid those).

Itchy nose, achy leg, earthquake ... when to move, when not?
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-move-when-not

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-27-2015 at 01:59 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE