Thread: Grass Hut - 36 - "The Joys of the Human Mind"

Grass Hut - 36 - "The Joys of the Human Mind"

We now continuing our reading about reading, Chapter 29, The Joys of the Human Mind/Thousands of Words, Myriad Interpretations ...

Suggested theme: Has Zen Practice changed the way you read books, not only Buddhist books but all kinds of books? Read or hear the news? How?

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi,

I hear local news from non reporters like you and me. I can act on this type of news whereas I am mostly powerless over news from the media. I stopped watching tv/news papers etc about the time I started sitting 5 years ago.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Mp
    Thank you Jundo,

Oh the news, I always listened to it, but found it just got me worked up. Now I read the news ... I take time in reading it, to understand it objectively and not as some form of background noise. I also do this with books now ... I read them to understand their meaning and not just to entertain myself. I have found myself reading and listening to books and podcasts that share stories, experiences, and things of value.

A good example is this book by Ben ... Inside the Grass Hut came just at the right time when my granny was dying. Its words supported me, guided me, and allowed me to be present with my granny in more ways than one. For this I am grateful. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

In terms of news, I'm not really a big fan of it; I think it's sensationalized just because they have bills to pay and have to keep the carrot and stick mentality to make a profit. On TV, it's common to hear, oh this could kill you, but we won't let you know yet -- just keep watching and we'll let you know at the end of our broadcast after you've watched messages from all of our sponsors. lol

I know that's the way that the world works, but it's crap IMHO I tend to listen to NPR now; mainly when I'm driving; I don't actively seek out the news. I think I've seen the heading "World War 3 is here" or something or other about World War 3 coming on Yahoo headlines a few times now. It's simply not helpful; it promotes fear, obviously ratings, and it's ridiculous.

In terms of books, I read non-fiction. I mainly read Zen books. I just enjoy them. But practice, and more specifically, the book club has helped me to slow down in reading, pay attention and think about the passages. Take time with the book I'm on, and then move on to the next one. So I don't always read a lot at a time, it depends on the complexity of the book, but the quality of my reading is better if that makes any sense.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

For me, reading or taking in the news is a chance to practice "listening with the ears of the heart." Yes, I hear "just the facts, ma'am." But then, I like to slow down and listen beneath the words. When reading, this might mean rereading, reading aloud, reading again aloud but more slowly, to let the words unfold themselves. Hanging out with their feeling tone. And hanging out with the pre-suppositions and perception gaps embedded in them. Hmmmmm??

There's really a lot going on in any utterance or sentence. How marvelous!
    _/st\_ Shinzan

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Thank you Jundo,

Oh the news, I always listened to it, but found it just got me worked up. Now I read the news ... I take time in reading it, to understand it objectively and not as some form of background noise. I also do this with books now ... I read them to understand their meaning and not just to entertain myself. I have found myself reading and listening to books and podcasts that share stories, experiences, and things of value.

A good example is this book by Ben ... Inside the Grass Hut came just at the right time when my granny was dying. Its words supported me, guided me, and allowed me to be present with my granny in more ways than one. For this I am grateful. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Shingen, thank you for sharing your perspective on books, it really got me thinking as well.

That is wonderful this book came to you at a time when you needed it.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I read the news of the world lately, as well as local issues, and I see almost everyone trapped by words. It is the business of many types of professions, particularly advertisers and politicians, to trap people with their words. What bothers me most about that is how people seem happy to be trapped; they prefer the certainty of it over finding their own ideas and actions. Zen has taught me to resist all that, to see beyond the trapping words, to find my own Way, so I like to think I am less trapped by it all, but trapped I remain. My only saving grace might be that I share that trap with the Buddha and Zen. Truth be told, however, I am a bit trapped by them, too, seriously. But at least that trap has a built-in "self" release
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today