Thread: November 6th-7th, 2015 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! (REMEMBER DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!)

November 6th-7th, 2015 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! (REMEMBER DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!)

reMINDer: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS HAS CHANGED, WE START AN HOUR EARLIER IN MOST PLACES

The Talk today will reflect upon "The Verse of Atonement, The Four Vows & Others" ... (text below in this thread) ...

(Also note that we will be starting to chant the Heart Sutra in Japanese for the monthly Zazenkai ... details also below) ...

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 11-12-2015 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Reading: "The Verse of Atonement, The Four Vows & Others"

Dear All,

This time, we will reflect on some of the Verses, Vows and Dedications we are heard to Chant around here for each Zazenkai and at other times ...

(for further reading on these and other Chants, I highly recommend "Living by Vow: A Practical Introduction to Eight Essential Zen Chants and Texts, by Shohaku Okumura, Wisdom Publications, 2012." There is a little from page 53 to 78 on the following )

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=...page&q&f=false

THE VERSE OF ATONEMENT ...

All harmful acts, words and thoughts, ever committed by me since of old,

On account of beginningless greed, anger and ignorance,

Born of my body, mouth and mind,

Now I atone for them all

THE FOUR VOWS

To save all sentient beings, though beings numberless

To transform all delusions, though delusions inexhaustible

To perceive Reality, though Reality is boundless

To attain the Enlightened Way, a Way non-attainable

... and some reflections on our Chant Dedication ...

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here now:
    In reciting THE HEART OF THE PERFECTION OF GREAT WISDOM SUTRA (and THE IDENTITY OF RELATIVE AND ABSOLUTE) we dedicate our sincere efforts to:
    •Shakyamuni Buddha Honored One; the Historical Buddha and Teacher …
    and to those ancestral teachers:
    Eihei Dogen Honored One
    Soji Keizan Honored One,
    All successive Honored Ones up until
    Renpo Niwa Honored One and
    Gudo Wafu Honored One
    and to all other Honored Ones throughout history, Male and Female Honored Ones, whose names have been forgotten or left unsaid.
    We also dedicate these efforts to the Three Treasures,
    Buddha, Dharma, Sangha,
    To all Awakened Ones and Teachers in all places and times.

We especially seek tranquility & well being for all creatures now suffering or ill in health.
    May they be serene through all their ills.
    May their lives be at peace and Wisdom pervade the darkness of ignorance.

We dedicate our hopes and aspirations:
    To all victims of war and violence and natural events
    To the injured and to all families touched by these tragedies
    To the healing of hatred in all countries and among all peoples
    To the wisdom and compassion of our world leaders
    To the peace of the world and harmony of all beings.

Thus, let the harmful effects of words, thoughts and actions be dispelled
    and Compassion bloom in perpetual spring.
    May we all realize and live the Enlightened Way together:

EVERYONE CHANTS:

ø All Buddhas throughout space and time
    ø All Bodhisattvas-Mahasattvas
    ø Maha • Prajna • Paramita •••••••
    -----------------

Please also note that, simply to note and honor our Traditions and "Roots", we will begin to have our Ino Chant the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo) in old Sino-Japanese for the monthly Zazenkai (other weeks will still be in English) ... you are free to join in ...

INO ONLY ...

Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo*

EVERYONE =

Kan Ji Zai Bo Satsu Gyo Jin Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ji Sho
    Ken Go* On Kai Ku Do I Sai Ku Yaku Sha Ri Shi Shiki Fu
    I Ku Ku Fu I Shiki Shiki Soku Ze Ku Ku Soku Ze Shiki Ju
    So Gyo Shiki Yaku Bu Nyo Ze Sha Ri Shi Ze Sho Ho Ku
    So Fu Sho Fu Metsu Fu Ku Fu Jo Fu Zo Fu Gen Ze Ko Ku
    Chu Mu Shiki Mu Ju So Gyo Shiki Mu Gen Ni Bi Ze Shin
    Ni Mu Shiki Sho Ko Mi Soku Ho Mu Gen Kai Nai Shi Mu
    I Shiki Kai Mu Mu Myo Yaku Mu Mu Myo Jin Nai Shi Mu
    Ro Shi Yaku Mu Ro Shi Jin Mu Ku Shu Metsu Do Mu Chi
    Yaku Mu Toku I Mu Sho Tok ko Bo Dai Sat Ta E Han-Nya
    Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko* Shin Mu Kei Ge Mu Kei Ge Ko Mu
    U Ku Fu On Ri Is-Sai Ten Do Mu So Ku Gyo Ne Han San
    Ze Sho Butsu E Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko* Toku A Noku
    Ta Ra San Myaku San Bo Dai Ko Chi Han-Nya Ha Ra Mi
    Ta Ze Dai Jin Shu Ze Dai Myo Shu Ze Mu Jo Shu Ze Mu
    To Do Shu No Jo Is sai Ku Shin Jitsu Fu Ko Ko Setsu Han
    Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Shu Soku Setsu Shu Watsu Gya* Tei
    Gya Tei Ha Ra Gya Tei Hara* So Gya Tei Bo Ji Sowa Ka
    Han Nya Shin Gyo * * *

If you would like to hear a recording from Japan for Practice, with subtitles to follow ...

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-06-2015 at 04:15 AM.

Joyo
    This is in the evening, which is always busy for me until my kids are in bed sleeping, so I will sit some with the recording, and try to make part of it live as well.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... I will be there live with bells ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

I will try to get on 'live'; it has been a full house the last couple of weeks (that is a GOOD thing, of course!)!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

I will be sitting 'live'. Thank you.

Gassho
    Sergey
    sat-today

Thank you, Jundo.

I'll be there live

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I will be there live

Gassho

Randy

I will be sitting ' live '
    Gassho,
    Marina sat today

I'll be there, one-way or live, depending on my connection.
    _/st\_ Shinzan

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I will join one-way initially, and hop in two-way when the first Zazen starts if there is still room.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you, Jundo. I will be there either one-way or two-way.

Gassho,
    Laurie

I will have to sit with the recording this time, as my kids' school play is tonight. Wish them luck please :-)

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

I will be present.

Gassho
    Caisson
    sattoday

PS- Good luck to Sierra's kids!

I take rest . So I do not sit.Finish 5day Sesshin and come back midnight bus. I hope that every member is good to sit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joyo
    Good luck with your kid's school play, Sierra.

I don't think I will be joining live with today's zazenkai afterall. I am still recuperating from pneumonia, so after a day of work today, I need the extra rest tonight.

Have wonderful sit everyone.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Will be here/there for the duration.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

I'll be one way today; my Google+ is playing up...

Participating.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Gassho and thank you .

Daizan

sat today

Thanks Jundo, as always, for you teaching. Thanks everyone for your sitting. I hope I can get google+ running again before Rohatsu! A great weekend to all!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Thank you all. Enjoy the weekend and coming week!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Thank you for the complete incompleteness of the teaching Jundo. Truly struck a tight cord and it is greatly appreciated!! Thanks to everyone for just sitting!!

Gassho
    Caisson
    sattoday

Thanks, Jundo and everyone. It was wonderful practicing together. Have a great weekend.

Gassho,
    Laurie
    Sat Today

Thank you everyone!

Gassho
    Sergey
    sat-today

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thanks to all.

Gassho

Randy
    sattoday

Mp
    Thank you everyone, always great to sit and practice with you. Have a great weekend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you Jundo and Shingen for this lovely zazenkai.

Have a great weekend!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Even though I had some difficulty connecting I very much enjoyed the zazenkai
    Thank you
    Gassho
    Marina sat today

Just for reference for those who don't know, a traditional image of Judge Yama in Court ...

I also came across this today by chance (or by Karma). It is from a scholar's research paper on "Teaching Zen to Americans", looking at the history of doing that the last 50 years. However, she has a pretty good short summary at the beginning which emphasizes the common ground of all Zen groups as she sees them, from "Just Sitting" Soto folks to Koan Introspection folks ... how we all deal with this "nothing in need of fixing, so grab a hammer and get working" Koan of Zen Practice ...

A perennial issue in the thought and teaching of Zen Buddhism is the tension
    between two basic teachings of the tradition. First, Zen teaches that all beings inherently
    have the nature of buddhas—awakened or enlightened beings. Second, Zen teaches that
    we need to engage in practices such as meditation, listening to the teacher’s talks, and
    following the moral precepts. But if the ultimate aim of Zen is buddhahood and all beings
    inherently have the nature of buddhas, why does one need to engage in the practices of
    Zen, practices that can require a great deal of effort and discipline? Why exert oneself in
    this way if not as a means to attain buddhahood?

This question plagued the young Dōgen, who would later found the Sōtō school
    of Zen in Japan, and led him on a journey from Japan to China in search of an answer.
    Buddhist scholar Francis Dojun Cook renders Dōgen’s question as “If one is in fact a
    Buddha right now, why practice at all?” ...

This issue in Zen teaching—the tension between teaching the importance of
    practice and teaching that beings are inherently buddhas—is sometimes referred to as
    “practice and enlightenment.” This tension could be seen as a sort of doctrinal or
    metaphysical or philosophical issue in Zen teaching: how to philosophically reconcile a
    claim that beings inherently have the nature of buddhas with a claim that practice is
    necessary. But this tension can also be seen as an issue about how Zen students engage in
    Zen practice, or orient themselves toward Zen practice, and this practical and pedagogical
    angle is what especially interest me.

On the one hand, Zen teachers sometimes stress the importance of engaging in the
    practice of Zen, encouraging an attitude of effort and discipline and, usually, of striving
    to attain a goal—the goal of enlightenment. On the other hand, Zen teachers sometimes
    stress that buddha-nature, or the nature of an enlightened being, is inherent in everyone,
    encouraging an attitude of acceptance and letting be and letting go of a supposed need to
    strive to attain a goal.

In one sense, all teachers in the Zen tradition, even those who describe practice as
    “instrumental” for attaining enlightenment, are challenging, to one degree or another, an
    instrumental orientation to life in general and to Buddhist practice in particular—an
    orientation of striving to attain a goal, working to fulfill a desire.

We see this teaching, for instance, in the Platform Sutra, on which Hui-neng,
    known as the Sixth Patriarch of Ch’an in China, says to his students, “You have in
    yourselves the attributes of inherent enlightenment.” Similarly, Lin-chi (known in
    Japanese as Rinzai), the ninth-century Chinese founder of the Lin-chi school of Ch’an,
    says, “Followers of the Way, you who are carrying out your activities before my eyes are
    no different from the Buddha and the patriarchs,” and he says that the person listening to
    his talk “has never lacked anything.” Even the great eighteenth-century Japanese Rinzai
    Zen master Hakuin, who relentlessly urges students of Zen to practice in order to awaken,
    says: “It makes no difference whether you call it the Shining Land of Lapis Lazuli in the
    East or the Immaculate Land of Purity in the South; originally, it is all a single ocean of
    perfect, unsurpassed awakening. As such, it is also the intrinsic nature in every human
    being.”

In the contemporary American context, too, Zen teachers teach their students that
    they inherently have the nature of buddhas. For instance, in Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind,
    Shunryu Suzuki says, “To be a human being is to be a Buddha. Buddha nature is just
    another name for human nature.”

https://www.google.co.jp/url?sa=t&rc...06923889,d.dGY
    Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-08-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    how we all deal with this "nothing in need of fixing, so grab a hammer and get working" Koan of Zen Practice ...
    It's interesting to see this question put into words as a "tension" between the importance of practice vs. our inherent buddha-nature. I have been close to asking this question before--if we are all buddhas then why must we practice?--but it seems like a sort of fundamental, rhetorical question. The same question that caused the story of Adam and Eve to be written, the question that arose in our brains probably as soon as we became self-aware. We practice to awaken and realize that we are already here/there!

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Thank you all.

Thank you, Jundo. For all those explanantions of idioms used; for more than a yer now I thaught " speaking out of twosided mouth" wos a great koan. I would never have darerd to ask!
    A very helpful talk, to beginners of time and language and all...

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Thank you all. I will be sitting now.

Gassho
    Trish

edited to add
    sat today

It was good to focus on the words of our chants today. Although we don't use the translation of the Verse of Atonement that speaks of 'ancient and twisted karma,' I often think of that phrase, because it especially reminds me that my karma is very much a part of me, twisted into my very core of being, and it has been with me since all time.
    Last edited by tlap; 11-09-2015 at 12:08 AM.

Thank you dear Sangha Thank you Jundo for a wonderful talk, very much appreciated.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

The verse of atonement and 4 vows have been on my mind throughout the week, this was very timely.
    Thank you all, and special thanks to Shingen for all you do, love the Sino-Japanese Heart Sutra
    Gassho,
    Sat with this Today
    Rodney

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    The verse of atonement and 4 vows have been on my mind throughout the week, this was very timely.
    Thank you all, and special thanks to Shingen for all you do, love the Sino-Japanese Heart Sutra
    Gassho,
    Sat with this Today
    Rodney
    You are more than welcome. Happy to have you and everyone here together, practicing and growing. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Hi,

thank you very much for sitting together.

Gassho,
    Ralf sat_THIS_today

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

The podcast (audio only) version of the talk is now up. For folks that regularly tune into the podcast, please let me know what you think of the audio quality of this episode (loudness, "warmth" of the sound, etc.) as compared with other episodes over the past few months. I've made some changes in the production process behind the scenes and hope it works well for everyone.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    The podcast (audio only) version of the talk is now up. For folks that regularly tune into the podcast, please let me know what you think of the audio quality of this episode (loudness, "warmth" of the sound, etc.) as compared with other episodes over the past few months. I've made some changes in the production process behind the scenes and hope it works well for everyone.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Got it Sekishi and sounds great, thank you! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you Sekishi. Podcast sounds beautiful if you overlook the gruff voiced guy talking.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you Sekishi. Podcast sounds beautiful if you overlook the gruff voiced guy talking.
    If you'd like I could give you an Autotuned Pop Diva makeover (voice only).

^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Just sat this now. Thank you.

Gassho,

Simon

Sat Today