Thread: October 16th-17th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

October 16th-17th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Will be here there.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Will participate

Gassho
    Randy
    sit tonight

Mp
    I too will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#justsat

I will participate live.

Gassho
    Sergey
    sat-today

I will try to be there two-way, otherwise I will participate one-way.

Gassho,
    Laurie
    Sat Today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon.

As Jundo said in the Kunduz hospital bombing thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Let us sit for all victims of war and violence, and to those who rush into harms way to help them.
    Let us also sit for all those harmed by our modern energy need / greed (without which our Sangha could not function):
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post164283

Nine bows,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Jundo,
    I plan on being there live.
    Gassho
    Theophan
    Sat Today

Participating.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Will sit this one tomorrow morning...thank you all
    Gassho

Sat
    Thank you for your practice

I'm here.... one way.
    _/st\_ Shinzan

Mp
    Lovely sitting with you all, thank you! Have a great weekend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Lovely to sit together. Thank you all.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Wow, a full house, plus several of us sitting "in the back row," so to speak. Take care all.
    _/\_ Shinzan

Very sweet to sit Zazen with the sound of tomorrow morning's birdsong on the other side of the world! Thank you.
    Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Thank you and nice weekend to all.

Gassho
    Sergey
    sat-today

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you everyone. It was wonderful to sit with you. Enjoy the weekend.

Gassho,
    Laurie
    Sat Today

Thank you everyone. And I too enjoyed the birds.

Gassho

Randy
    Sattoday

Thank you dear Sangha

I really like the mini-teisho's.

Gassho
    raindrop
    sat today

Thank you all very much.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all!

I have always though it's magical to be able to listen to what's happening in Japan in real time.

Have a great weekend!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I enjoyed sitting with you (and the birds!) this morning.

Gassho,

- Deirdre

Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post
    I enjoyed sitting with you (and the birds!) this morning.

Gassho,

- Deirdre
    And remember, on those days when the helicopters pass from the military base ...

... birds sing just as birds, helicopters sing just as helicopters.

The difference between "sound" and disturbing "noise" is largely between our own ears ...

Gassho, J

SatToday

-------------------------

Another good time to repost on Suzuki Roshi distinction of "sound" and "noise" . Yes, noise or anything is not really a "disturbance" without the mind to be "disturbed". If the mind is not "disturbed", then what "disturbance"? This is not merely about kids during Zazen, but all the moments in life which come to "bother" "interrupt" "ruin" etc. etc. our life.

Here is the video with Suzuki Roshi in which he distinguishes "sound" from "noise", and points out that "inside" and "outside" us is not a clear border ...

At our Zendo in Tsukuba, for our Saturday morning Zazenkai, birds can usually be heard chirping prettily in the surrounding trees ...

... but also, a truck or cars will frequently be heard rushing down the nearby road, carpenters banging fixing a neighbors roof, or a military helicopter passing overhead (I do not know why, but our house must be on some route they use to one of the nearby bases).

It has become one of the most powerful teaching tools I have for new students. I tell them that it is not to think "Oh, the birds are very lovely and peaceful ... but the trucks and helicopters disturb my nice Zazen". Rather, "the birds are singing as birds ... the trucks are trucks ... the copter just copters. Do not think one pleasant but the other ugly or detracting from the atmosphere. Then, there is a certain quiet and stillness that one can come hear behind and sounding right through all the sounds and noise."

I learned this sitting many a morning at Nishijima Roshi's old Zendo ... located right next to a NOISY child's playground and a highway.

Suzuki Roshi has a lovely little talk (one of his few video talks) on the mind's making "sound vs. noise". If I recall, his birds in the talk were not as pretty sounding as ours!

Gassho, Jundo (a really annoying guy, depending on how you hear me! )

SatToday!
    PS - I was not sure why Suzuki Roshi found the Blue Jay's cry so intrusive, so I found this ...

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Always great to see a full house! Thanks everyone!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Will sit with this tomorrow.

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

#SatToday

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

Arigatou gozaimashita.

Gassho,
    Ken
    JustSatThisToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Grateful to sit with you today
    Gassho
    Rodney

Sitting this now.
    Gassho,
    Matt

Thank you all very much.

Congratulations to the new computer, Kyonin - what platform are you running on it now ?

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Thank you Jundo, thank you all for this sitting
    Gassho
    Gi Shu= George
    Gi Shu -George

Thank you all.

Gassho,

Simon

Sat today

Thank you