Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treeleaf, Zazen + the Hololens

Treeleaf, Zazen + the Hololens

Hey Guys,

I would like to introduce a vision (literally) for Treeleaf Sangha. This is where our future is found. Time to start designing!

(They just need to make the lenses a bit less intrusive ... and I understand that is coming too) ...

I quote from an old essay ...

With Gassho before a body scanner, sitters will enter the 3-D Holographic Zen Hall from wherever they are. Instantly, a high roofed room, Manjusri Bodhisattva at its center, fills the senses and the 10 directions encircling them. Lifelike images of a hundred others who have sat that day (some hours earlier in distant time zones) occupy projected Zafus all around, and the scent of incense perfumes the air. A young priest walks through the room straightening slippers (all made of photons), guiding newcomers to their places. Biosensors in the sitter’s clothing adjust posture with a touch lightly felt at the small of the back. A teacher in far Japan, as if a few feet away, offers a talk and responds immediately to questions. Rising from Zazen, all recite as one the Bodhisattva Vows, prostrating toward Manjusri now seen hovering midair as vast as a mountain. The identical scene appears in Holospaces in every sitter’s home or private place, including for one fellow sitting zero gravity on the long voyage to Mars.

Though sounding like Isaac Asimov meets the Lotus Sutra, researchers at the holographics lab of one of Japan’s best science universities tell me it is just a matter of time now. The ‘HoloZendo’ is not a figment of the imagination, and may be available to carry in one’s pocket.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...sangha-is-real
    For those who don't catch the difference from "3D virtual reality", this system allows a blending of the actual space where we find ourselves with 3D enhancements.

I feel that this is where we should devote our energies, design skills and resources here ... at Treeleaf HoloZendo.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-07-2015 at 08:17 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Does one need to be a high-end developer & designer to join in?

Gassho
    #SatToday

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Does one need to be a high-end developer & designer to join in?

Gassho
    #SatToday

Roland
    Hi Roland,

There is no plan at all ... besides my saying "This is the future of Treeleaf Zazen".

And since you are the first person to respond, you are in charge of the project for now and making the plan. Congratulations!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

OMG. We have some years to make this happen, but it's the designing and building which will be great fun. So, fellow builders, present yourself en masse!

Gassho
    Roland
    #SatToday

hmm, interesting approach this augmented reality stuff.
    But... I don't think that this will bring us any further in meeting with each other.
    We're each in a different shaped room, so if we'd meet, Jundo would maybe sit in my oven and I would step out of his wall. ;-)
    The reality room dimensions wouldn't fit with each other's. Is there a solution for this, other than to-be-found hypercomplex re-aligning 3d algorithms for all users?

I am still on the "take a multiplayer, online, 3d game engine for multiple platforms, create a virtual zendo, make your own (different) 3d-avatars (scanned)." side.
    With 3d-glasses, live audio, rudimental gamepad movement-control, this could be a possible next step. Maybe even with some colored labels on the human-body for motion detection or cheap Kinect hardware for gesture detection.

Just my 2c.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.
    Last edited by Kotei; 10-07-2015 at 08:36 AM.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Makes the Lotus Sutra a whole lot more plausible

Gassho

Willow

sat today

Crazy wild. Lotus Sutra emerald temples and million billion boddhisattvas, here we come.
    _/st\_ Shinzan

matrix1.jpg

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Soon we'll be able to sit Zazen IN the Zendo I built on our Minecraft server a few years ago!

Incidentally, this was something I built before coming to Treeleaf, but I note that there are 10 zafus (teacher, ino, and 4 along each side wall). Not unlike what we do now!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    #didnotplaywithblockstoday
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I'm holding out for something that does not require wearing goggles. Looking at two little screens up close can be a bit woozy when you move around. In the meantime Live Feed meet-ups are improving all the time, and everyone will start doing it when it reaches a certain threshold of reliability....im guessing.

Beautiful Zendo Sekishi.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    I'm holding out for something that does not require wearing goggles. Looking at two little screens up close can be a bit woozy when you move around. In the meantime Live Feed meet-ups are improving all the time, and everyone will start doing it when it reaches a certain threshold of reliability....im guessing.

Beautiful Zendo Sekishi.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    My understanding is that the headset will be reduced to an ordinary pair of eye glasses in the near future, and possibly even contacts somewhere down the road.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    My understand is that the headset will be reduced to an ordinary pair of eye glasses in the near future, and possibly even contacts somewhere down the road.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    So true ... a BC doctor has created a bionic lens for better vision, so might be something like that. =)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/oc...0-20-1.3078257

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

My understanding is that the headset will be reduced to an ordinary pair of eye glasses in the near future, and possibly even contacts somewhere down the road.
    I think the definition of "near" in the term "near future" is the part that is open for debate. For widespread CONSUMER adoption of such a technology, frame rates will need to be very high and latency very low. Right now that still takes a large amount of computing power to accomplish (with latency still being too high for a good user experience). Fitting the sensors, computing power, and batteries into eyeglasses is a tall order. Although we can of course move some of that computing power into a tethered processor (e.g. your phone does the networking and calculations and communicates with the glasses wirelessly), that increases the latency again. Add in network bandwidth and ping-time constraints found in much of the world, and suddenly the devil comes OUT of the details and makes the whole experience sub-par, for at least a decade to come. IMHO.

I want to see this tech everywhere, by next week, but I am not holding my breath. It will be an interesting time to be alive. Ubiquitous facial recognition and augmented reality apps will make for a really weird world to live in.

But thats just like, my opinion man.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Instead of Gassho, can we make sure to say "Computer Arch"? hahah

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Maybe we could start with some shared collection of relevant articles on these technologies (HoloLens, Oculus Rift, Cardboard etc). We could do that in Diigo or in some other repository. Then we could try to determine key functionalities for a 'virtual Sangha' and check which technology is most appropriate.

Gassho
    Roland
    #SatToday

Wow! And here i am on my wife's I pad while my computer is in the hospital! Reliable hardware at the user's end will be critical. Still exciting thoughts for our future.
    Shozan

Quote Originally Posted by lorax View Post
    Wow! And here i am on my wife's I pad while my computer is in the hospital! Reliable hardware at the user's end will be critical. Still exciting thoughts for our future.
    Yes, cost should be an important consideration for rolling out a more immersive virtual zendo. For first experiments it's less an issue as prices go down and this is meant to be a slow moving project. Mark Zuckerberg has a vision for a deeply immersive layer on Facebook and works incrementally: buying Oculus Rift and now introducing 360 degrees video on the timelines. His time horizon is ten years.

Gassho

Roland
    #SatToday

Some time ago "Second life" was a big hype. A revolution. It was going to change our lives forever. I tried it out for a while but wonder if it is still there? I can see a second life Zendo, sure it is far from what Jundo has in mind. Anyone familiar with that program?

Gassho

Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
    Mu

Hi MyoHo

Several Buddhist teachers tried teaching at the zendo in Second Life as an experiment but it didn't really take off. Most people were of the opinion it was pointless adding another layer of complexity on top of podcasts and video teachings that were already available online.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Hi MyoHo,

there is/was? a "Kannonji Zen Retreat" in Secondlife.
    https://secondlife.com/destination/kannonji-zen-retreat.
    Myself, rooted in the ooold text-only multiplayer role-playing MUDs, felt things like graphical 'games' and meeting places as a limitation in expressing oneself somehow. It's in a way so much easier to create things in a text-only world... Well... that's changing. Me and the technical possibilities.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Apparently, one Jundo Cohen was among those teachers giving talks in Second Life! Some people get everywhere!

http://www.lionsroar.com/a-precious-second-life-online/

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #st

As a gamer myself (when time permits) I believe Ralf makes a good point. A virtual zendo, perhaps a remake of Jundos own zendo, would be very nice. Then everyone who could afford it would have a game pad and an occulus rift on.

I can't say how wearing a rift and doing zazen would feel, but I'm absolutely sure the hololense would feel more comfortable.

Kyle
    Sattoday

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Apparently, one Jundo Cohen was among those teachers giving talks in Second Life! Some people get everywhere!

http://www.lionsroar.com/a-precious-second-life-online/

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #st
    Ah, yes, Second Life Jundo, designed for me for my Zazenkai at Kannonji ... (this one has 6-Pack Abs under the robes, which is something I kinda liked ) ...

The experience left me with a feeling of strong and weak points for a Sangha in Second Life.

The good points were the wild creativity ... where I was sitting in a space with people whose self-expressive avatars were wilder than anything in the Lotus Sutra (see Fugen's talk) or the bar scene in Star Wars (also see Fugen's talk). People could be who they felt they wanted to be. Also, the anonymity may have made a very safe space for some folks. Folks in this shot look pretty ordinary (apart from the meditating tiger), but I recall sitting with some horned creature, fairies, a dog-woman and such ... rather neat ...

The negative points were actually the same ... where the extreme anonymity almost felt like people hiding behind masks, the extreme fetishization of costume and appearance was really a kind of materialistic fashion show, and there was almost a sense that people were running to their "new self" in a new world because they did not know how to be at home with their "first self" in this world. I felt that it was making barriers. Buddhism does not need a "second self", but rather a "first self/non self". We need to learn that this world is a real-fiction, and not just put another fiction on top.

Maybe it is because I was not raised with games as much as people a few years younger, but I was not so comfortable with the artificial environment.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-08-2015 at 03:21 PM.

I think the second life format could work with a few tweaks. Get rid of this fancy avatar stuff. Who you are is who you are, in computer bytes as well as life, your avatar matches you. If I only ever interact with you on second life there should be a really good chance I could pick you out of a lineup in real life. It sounds like Jundo's wouldn't have six pack abs, and mine would be really tall and way over weight, maybe even have the controls a little off to represent the big dumb ox part of my motor controls.

Take it one step further have the i.r. motion controller from a Wii, Xbox, or Playstation make ones avatar mimic what you are doing in real time. If I start to node off so does the avatar. Then the person with the Keisaku can trigger a loud noise in my system to refocus my attention.

I agree the space would be best if it mimicked a real place like Jundo's place, that we get to see in videos.

I love the idea about 6 months ago someone told me about a teaching platform that he uses to teach Tai Chi where everyone is live and can interact from their spaces. I don't know if there were videos stored for later review but I'm sure that can be done so that every time zone can have access. But it's still not as cool as the Holo Zendo that's just awesome

Gassho
    Clarisse Sat2Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snip..The negative points were actually the same ... where the extreme anonymity almost felt like people hiding behind masks, the extreme fetishization of costume and appearance was really a kind of materialistic fashion show, and there was almost a sense that people were running to their "new self" in a new world because they did not know how to be at home with their "first self" in this world. I felt that it was making barriers. Buddhism does not need a "second self", but rather a "first self/non self". We need to learn that this world is a real-fiction, and not just put another fiction on top.....snip
    This was my clear sense of it as well. A second life on top of the first one. Spending a little time there a few years ago two things stood out... First Life is infinitely more interesting...and has better resolution and frame rate, ...and you have to be careful who you talk to. Someone with a fantasy costume wanted to go off and explore with me. A short conversation revealed it to be a young girl, a young girl talking to a strange man in his forties on the internet. I told her to be careful and never went back.

Somehow this online sangha has to not add any layers, but connect. I think virtual space is interesting and fun, but connecting first life space as clearly and efficiently as possible seems like the way to go. Actual faces and eyes, and tears, and smiles.....

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Well, our 3D Zazenkai will probably make the 3D bread sticks look exciting ...

(Sorry that this is not visible outside the US and Canada)

http://on.cc.com/1MhkFJa

Canada

http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/blogs...technology-now

Gassho, J

SatToday

Kinda reminds me of the cyberspace described in the novel, Snow Crash.

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

#SatToday

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

Second Life still exists and the company behind it, Linden Lab, develops a new version which will fit nicely with the Oculus Rift. The big advantage of that virtual place is that you mentally share the same place, wherever you are. I prefer a solution which would have the same advantage but without the avatar mask. I think a combination of 360 degree video capturing, 3D immersiveness and realtime connections will make this possible.

Gassho
    Roland
    #SatToday

Maybe we won't have to wait ten years after all. Read this post about the (very cheap and lightweight) Google Cardboard VR goggles: Google Cardboard hits 15 million installs There are now already many 360 degrees videos on YouTube which can be watched using Cardboard (disclaimer: I've yet to buy these goggles to try this out). Now just suppose it would be possible to have a Google Hangout using a 360 cardboard.JPG

Anyway, we could now already do some crowdfunding to buy a 360 degrees camera for our physical temple, use that to record the sessions (alongside the normal hangout-recording) and watch the recording afterwards on YouTube using the Google Cardboard.

But maybe I first should try out the Cardboard goggles. They are cheap, but I guess the quality is less compared to the far more expensive Oculus Rift. If others already tried those things, let us know!

cardboard.JPG

Gassho,

Roland
    #SatToday
    Last edited by Roland; 10-14-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Maybe we won't have to wait ten years after all. Read this post about the (very cheap and lightweight) Google Cardboard VR goggles:
    Yes, very cool and surprisingly simple ...

reminds me of a moving version of these (if any of you kids remember from way back when ... and yes, I think that is Jodi Foster) ...

Some of the headsets seem quite streamlined ...

Not sure about sitting Zazen with you phone strapped to your nose, but we are on a good course!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-14-2015 at 11:46 AM.

I just... wow...

Ok, so I built the Google VR Headset from two old Amazon boxes, put in some lenses from an old telescope, spent the day making a fully panoramic 4K scan of my sitting space, got the apps loaded, the internet connection upgraded to 24mbps, and am ready to join you all in a radically connected consensual hallucination that projects a beautiful HD bump-mapped phong-highlighted render of my white-painted sheet-rock wall directly into our delicate retinas in all its tri-chromatic goodness.

Form is emptiness indeed!

Ok, I'll just let myself out, and take RU Serious and Queen Mu with me.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday (in "meatspace")

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    I just... wow...

Ok, so I built the Google VR Headset from two old Amazon boxes, put in some lenses from an old telescope, spent the day making a fully panoramic 4K scan of my sitting space, got the apps loaded, the internet connection upgraded to 24mbps, and am ready to join you all in a radically connected consensual hallucination that projects a beautiful HD bump-mapped phong-highlighted render of my white-painted sheet-rock wall directly into our delicate retinas in all its tri-chromatic goodness.

Form is emptiness indeed!

Ok, I'll just let myself out, and take RU Serious and Queen Mu with me.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday (in "meatspace")
    No, seriously ... how was it?

Gassho, J

SatToday

CNET gave a good review ...

When Google announced a do-it-yourself virtual reality kit made of cardboard at its I/O developer conference this week, one of the first questions people asked was: Is this a big joke? ... Turns out, Google is using cheap, corrugated paper to give virtual reality its neatest and most accessible tool for converting nonbelievers. While it's no Oculus Rift headset, Google's Cardboard initiative has a huge role to play in VR by putting it in the hands of anyone with $25 and a smartphone.

VR is supposed to change everything: film, gaming, communication, travel, education -- even what we understand about sensory experience itself. ...

Announced as part of Google's annual product giveaway at I/O, Cardboard is a meant to be a super-low-cost, crowdsourced toolkit anyone can build to run elementary VR experiences. Essentially, it's a cardboard housing for a smartphone running Google's Android mobile OS. You get a $10 lens kit, about $7 in off-the-shelf magnets, $3 worth of velcro, a rubber band, and an easily programmable $1.50 Near-Field Communication sticker tag for launching the companion mobile app automatically. ...

The result is a low-key yet completely usable headset that's good enough to hand to a stranger and have them experience a genuine VR revelation. In fact, countless people -- at San Francisco's Moscone Center and here, too, at CNET's headquarters -- who have never had the opportunity to try on a Rift have been holding up Cardboard's goofy-looking smartphone mount and walking away thinking VR might not be so crazy after all.

They also say it may just be the coolest tech they've played with in a while.

Google's Cardboard app, which is what plays on the phone screen while it sits in the cardboard casing, lets you cruise through a landscape or city street in Google Earth and watch YouTube videos in a virtual theater. Even wackier Web-based experiences -- what Google is calling Chrome Experiments -- let you play a simple coin-collecting game, visit the Great Barrier Reef in a helicopter, and ride a roller coaster. That only one of the more than a dozen apps you can access with Cardboard is game-related is a boon for VR too, proving that you can design worthwhile and interesting experiences in a first-person view.

"Developing for VR still requires expensive, specialized hardware," Google writes on its dedicated Cardboard developers page. "Thinking about how to make VR accessible to more people, a group of VR enthusiasts at Google experimented with using a smartphone to drive VR experiences."

"By making it easy and inexpensive to experiment with VR, we hope to encourage developers to build the next generation of immersive digital experiences and make them available to everyone," Google concludes.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/googles-car...e-oculus-rift/

Gassho, J

SatToday

No, seriously ... how was it?
    I don't know. I was kidding with all the breathless tech talk.

However, I really DID order a pair from this outfit:
    https://www.unofficialcardboard.com/

I will report back!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

I am very interested in this.

VR in one of the many dreams we nerds been having for years.

It would be amazing if we could use this tech for Treeleaf.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Ooooh yeah! Virtual reality to liberate all sentient beings! In truth, it can't be that far off...as long as no one disturbs my zazen by playing video games.

Gassho,
    Matt
    SatToday

Hi,

For about $6US, my cardboard glasses arrived. I am sure that if you have a more sophisticated 3D system, it is nothing at all. However, I found the effects pretty impressive ... certainly enough to show what the future holds.

Unfortunately, my smart phone ... already 3 years old ... could not run many of the more sophisticated apps. However, even the ones I ran were pretty well done. The linking of the gyroscope function of the smart phone created a very responsive and realistic effect with motion.

What I predict that many of us will have fairly soon (if having the capital ... not to say there are not better things in the world for that capital) is a 3D immersion booth, closet or entire room that we will sit in (sit Zazen in?), and projectors and surfaces covered with diodes will give a true "holodeck" effect without glasses ... like below but more sophisticated ...

Anyway, certainly got my $6 worth! I recommend it to folks for a little amusement if you don't have much virtual reality experience, but do have a pretty recent smart phone.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Last edited by Jundo; 10-19-2015 at 03:55 PM.

In the meantime there is some news about a secretive company, in which Google invested rather heavily, called Magic Leap. They work on a Dynamic Digitized Lightfield Signal™ (you can call it a Digital Lightfield™). It is biomimetic, meaning it respects how we function naturally as humans. It seems they project virtual objects on the physical reality (a bit like the HoloLens but differently). Anyway, they recently released this video (but you'll still need some special glasses):

Gassho
    Roland
    #SatToday

Thank you Jundo!

If I can I'll give it a shot

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

In the meantime there is some news about a secretive company, in which Google invested rather heavily, called Magic Leap. They work on a Dynamic Digitized Lightfield Signal™ (you can call it a Digital Lightfield™). It is biomimetic,
    Yes, the lovely aspect of this combined "superimposed" technology is that we all all be sitting inside someone's home. You would be sitting in your space, and see the rest of us around you, just as if you had invited us in (and you wouldn't even need to make tea and sandwiches! )

On a darker note, for anyone who wants to see a series (every episode has different setting and actors) on the potential negative social and personal implications of modern technology set in the present or not too distant future, I cannot recomment this British series (really a mini-series) too highly. WOW. Almost makes me want to go back to the good old days before electricity. It is on Netflix.

BLACK MIRROR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mirror_(TV_series)

I am just hoping that there is no episode about an online Zen Sangha trapped inside a Hologram!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-23-2015 at 02:51 AM.

....I am just hoping that there is no episode about an online Zen Sangha trapped inside a Hologram! .....

Maybe we are... it brings to mind the Star Trek episode "Ship in a bottle"

Data and La Forge are enjoying a Sherlock Holmes holodeck program when the two notice that a character programmed to be left-handed was actually right-handed. They call Lt. Barclay to repair the holodeck, but as he checks the status of the Sherlock Holmes programs, he encounters an area of protected memory. He activates it to find the artificial sentient Professor James Moriarty (Daniel Davis) character projected into the Holodeck, who appears to have memory since his creation ("Elementary, Dear Data"), including during the period while he was inactive (a feat Picard claims to be impossible). Moriarty wishes to escape the artificial world of the holodeck and was assured by the crew of the Enterprise that they would endeavor to find a way to free him, and is irritated at the lack of results on the part of the crew and their seeming lack of even the tiniest bit of effort. Picard, along with Data and Barclay, attempts to assure Moriarty they are still working on that goal, but Moriarty is dismissive of that.

Moriarty confuses the crew by seemingly willing himself to existence by walking off the holodeck. He explains this to the stunned Picard and Data by saying, "I think, therefore I am.". Moriarty creates a companion for himself, the Countess Regina Bartholomew (Stephanie Beacham), commanding the computer of the Enterprise to place another sentient mind within a female character of the Sherlock Holmes novels. Moriarty then demands that a solution to get Regina off the holodeck be devised. He takes control of the Enterprise through the computer, insisting that a way be found for her to experience life beyond the confines of the holodeck.

While assisting LaForge, Data observes that LaForge's handedness is incorrect, just as they had experienced earlier. Data determines that he himself, Picard, and Barclay never left the holodeck, and everyone and everything that appears to be the Enterprise is part of a holodeck program Moriarty created. At that moment, Picard realizes that he has unwittingly provided Moriarty with the command codes for the Enterprise. With this information, Moriarty takes control of the real Enterprise from within his simulation.

Data finds a way to program the holodeck's simulation of a holodeck to convince Moriarty that he and Regina can be beamed into the real world, though in fact they are only "beamed" in the holodeck's simulation. Moriarty, satisfied with the ruse, releases control of the ship back to Picard. He and the Countess use a shuttlecraft given to them by Commander Riker to leave the Enterprise and explore the galaxy. Picard ends the simulation and returns to the real Enterprise. Barclay extracts the memory cube from the holodeck and sets it in an extended memory device in order to provide Moriarty and the Countess a lifetime of exploration and adventure.

Picard mentions the possibility that the crew's reality may actually be a fabrication generated by "a little device sitting on someone's table." This unnerves Barclay enough for him to test the nature of his own reality one more time: he gives an audible command to "end program" to test whether he is still in a simulation. There is no response

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

A cardboard v2.0 kit arrived yesterday. It took some hacks to make it work well (in particular I made some cuts and added rubberbands to hold phones in place better), but it works, and is pretty fun. The kit I ordered has adjustable-width eye pieces, which make a big difference for tuning the experience.

General thoughts:

- The motion tracking is better / more precise than I expected
    - The lag is better than I expected, but still enough to induce queasiness after about 15 minutes of use
    - The augmented reality (AR) apps are pretty amazing (where digital / rendered content is overlayed with video from the camera)
    - It turns your phone into a hot-plate with a dead battery in a hurry!
    - Android has more apps than iOS (by quite a bit)

Specific apps:

- The Google Earth app (Android) is AMAZING. I was able to fly down from space and eventually find our house, hovering about 100 feet above it.
    - The Google Maps app (Android and iOS) is fun for exploring. I can sit the Zazenkai down the street from Treeleaf tonight!
    - The roller coaster apps (Android and iOS) make me sick.
    - There is a dinosaur app (iOS) that puts dinosaurs in the world around you (AR). Looking up into the sky and seeing pterodactyls is AWESOME!

Zazenkai:

- I am ready!

2015-10-23 14.27.37.jpg

- I'll be sitting down the street though...

2015-10-22 23.35.24-800w.jpg

The Google Maps app has the ability to use the phone in the camera to make a full 360deg panorama "bubble". We need one for the Zendo!

All in all, a really fun experiment. My son has already started porting two of his games to work with cardboard (as a result I don't get to use the headset much). One of them works really well with it now - the fact that he had the port working in less than 24 hours tells me that the developer tools are well thought out.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday in many different virtual places...

This reminds me of the Army. When everyone took a step back but that one person who was the voluntold.
    Lol
    Gassho
    Sat today

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Jundo;163692]Hi Roland,

There is no plan at all ... besides my saying "This is the future of Treeleaf Zazen".

And since you are the first person to respond, you are in charge of the project for now and making the plan. Congratulations!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Talib; 10-24-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Stupid phone

Interesting article about the other side of this - cameras that can capture immersive environments, instead of just a 2d rectangle.
    http://venturebeat.com/2015/11/05/ly...-video-camera/

Available for rent now!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sattoday

And reasonably priced for a weird experimental sangha like ours only 2500 to 5000 a day. But surely there will soon be webcam like things like these.
    It's amazing how quickly things develop...

Gassho
    Ongen

Sat today

Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post

Zazenkai:

- I am ready!
    I need to try that. I really do.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Ongen View Post
    And reasonably priced for a weird experimental sangha like ours only 2500 to 5000 a day. But surely there will soon be webcam like things like these.
    It's amazing how quickly things develop...

Gassho
    Ongen

Sat today

Original cell phone cost thousands of dollars. I am sure that we will all have these for $30 sometime soon.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Greetings, carbon-based sentient beings,

here's some more technology we can use in our immersive zendo of the near future. For Jukai when touching the leaf to the forehead, for adjusting sitting posture, and of course for futuristic fist-bumps and hi-5's.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34517098

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast