Thread: What makes Zen..'Zen'?

What makes Zen..'Zen'?

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking as ever but have a question

When we sit, and let go....of everything, what makes the practice specifically a 'Zen' practice?

Or is it Zen up to the cushion then when sitting does the 'Zen(ness)' go too?

Thanks in advance!

Tony...

Sat Today
    Sat today

Hi,

Interesting question. I don't know what makes zen zen. You mean shikantaza? Sitting, not grasping or avoiding thoughts, with spacious awareness, like a mountain with clouds coming and going?

I don't understand the question.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

What makes Zen..'Zen'?

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Last edited by Jishin; 09-01-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi,

Interesting question. I don't know what makes zen zen. You mean shikantaza? Sitting, not grasping or avoiding thoughts, with spacious awareness, like a mountain with clouds coming and going?

I don't understand the question.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Ok....what makes you a 'Zen' Buddhist? Just sitting? Thats not unique to 'Zen'. Is it the 'Soto(ness)'? If so what is that and what distinguishes it from anything else?
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by dharmasponge View Post
    Ok....what makes you a 'Zen' Buddhist?
    You.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

I don't know.

We just have our way of going about things.

An apple is not an orange and I'm not sure why ... but, oh, the Sweet Deliciousness!

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

You.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Ok.......so does this mean that you would be content to drop all of your 'Zen(ness)' in favour of Tibetan(ness) or Ch'an(ness) and still feel comfortable in your practice?
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I don't know.

We just have our way of going about things.

An apple is not an orange and I'm not sure why ... but, oh, the Sweet Deliciousness!

Gassho, J

Hey Jundo!

I guess I am asking this as I have become aware of the potential for there being LOTS of ego involved in our (ones) practice - albeit extremely subtley. Like tradition, colour of robes, shape of Buddha statue etc....not sure where I am going with this but there's a thorn there somewhere
    Sat today

I always like this little quote from the Bloodstream Sermon.

Buddha is Sanskrit for what you call aware, miraculously aware. Responding, arching your brows, blinking your eyes, moving your hands and feet, its all your miraculously aware nature. And this nature is the mind. And the mind is the Buddha. And the Buddha is the path. And the path is Zen. But the word Zen is one that remains a puzzle to both mortals and sages. Seeing your nature is Zen. Unless you see your nature, it’s not Zen

Ok.......so does this mean that you would be content to drop all of your 'Zen(ness)' in favour of Tibetan(ness) or Ch'an(ness) and still feel comfortable in your practice?
    I don't know.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

I have no idea.

I just sit. Sometimes I have coffee before that.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hey Jundo!

I guess I am asking this as I have become aware of the potential for there being LOTS of ego involved in our (ones) practice - albeit extremely subtley. Like tradition, colour of robes, shape of Buddha statue etc....not sure where I am going with this but there's a thorn there somewhere
    Statue or no statue, robe or no robe does not matter.

Traditionally we put a statue, it reMINDS us of something. We wear a robe because we get cold when naked and for monks, one size fits all (my Teacher, Nishijima, used to call it "dressing up like old dead Chinese men") But one can also sit naked without a statue.

In Shikantaza, there is a way of sitting (all about which we talk about day after day around here). It is a technique of no technique that is very effective.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    When I sit, I am a Zen Buddhist. When I sit, I am not a Zen Buddhist. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#justsat

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    When I sit, I am a Zen Buddhist. When I sit, I am not a Zen Buddhist. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#justsat
    When I sit, I am Shingen. When I sit, I am not Shingen.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Mp
    When I sit, I am Shingen. When I sit, I am not Shingen.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    When I sit, I have Jishin's great beard. When I sit, I do no have Jishin's great beard. But when we sit, we both have that beautiful bald head! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Your bald heal is so shinny I can't see when I look at you.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hey Jundo!

What do you mean by there being lots of ego involved? Do you mean an attitude of "my practice is better than your practice"?

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    What do you mean by there being lots of ego involved? Do you mean an attitude of "my practice is better than your practice"?

-satToday
    No, I mean the ego that thinks 'I' and a Zen practitioner about to practice Shikantaza.
    Sat today

Your bald heal is so shinny I can't see when I look at you.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Alrighty, well....I'll be sure to bear that in MIND if I am asked.

This was a sort of a joint question that came out of a discussion with some friends - not sure they'll be able to assimilate your responses.

The general consensus of answers seems to be 'I don't know'....which is as good an answer as any I guess.

Thanks!
    Sat today

Alrighty, well....I'll be sure to bear that in MIND if I am asked.

This was a sort of a joint question that came out of a discussion with some friends - not sure they'll be able to assimilate your responses.

The general consensus of answers seems to be 'I don't know'....which is as good an answer as any I guess.

Thanks!
    Hi Tony,

The "I don't know" that is talked about here is not the "I don't know" that is talked about there. The "I don't know" answer given here I think is the all inclusive one. The one that swallows everything (including itself), the one that makes Zen Zen and not Zen at once.

Just my 2 cents...

Gassho, Jishin, SatToday
    Last edited by Jishin; 09-01-2015 at 03:40 PM.

I don't know; we read texts written by Zen teachers, we practice traditions associated with Zen practice. I personally sit in my pajamas; I'm not huge on esoteric ritual, etc (which I know we are very lightweight here on) but I'll chant the bodhisattva vows (from our 6th ancestor in Zen) and chant the verse of atonement, the heart sutra ( a famous mahayana sutra chanted frequently in zen).

So I think a lot of the "things" done together make this zen, but separated by themselves maybe not so much... sort of like the skandhas or a person or whatever multi-faceted thing we are talking about. If you break something down, by itself it is something, then together it makes something else. I think Zen is such a large practice that it's hard to nail down, but it does come from zazen, the core of the practice.

So I guess in one sense zazen is the core of zen, but if that were it, then I wouldn't agree either. I mean there is so much more, practicing the precepts, the eightfold path (not different from the precepts), study, etc etc. So each thing, on its own can be zen, but together they are zen as well. You could say that in zen practice we study zen texts, but also studying history or math could also be zen practice from another perspective.

I think an important point is that you will not get a black and white definition because the most important part is the heart of the practitioner, their intent, their actual practice. So there are a lot of things together that make zen, zen. And what gets crazy for me at least, is that we may all have a consistent definition of zen as a group, a society, a sangha, but we'll also have a very personal idea of zen. In any case, those are ideas, and it's the practice that's at the core.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

No, I mean the ego that thinks 'I' and a Zen practitioner about to practice Shikantaza.
    Well, I think it's just like Jundo usually says, we have to wear something, so might as well be what our teachers wore, and their teachers, and so on. Same for any of the practices. I just happened to find a home here, so that's what I do. Could've been I stumbled into a Kadampa or Vietnamese center, and I would have adopted different practices. But I didn't.

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking as ever but have a question

When we sit, and let go....of everything, what makes the practice specifically a 'Zen' practice?

Thanks in advance!

Tony...

Sat Today

I think what distinguishes Zen is the emphasis on the direct experience of awareness of just this right now.

All the mind games have to go.
    Enjoy the moment.
    And practice is all the time.

SAT today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Zen... the Zen taught here, is a form of the Buddhadharma that is very straightforward and direct. It comes straight from the heartwood of the Bodhi Tree, because in "just sitting" are the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold path, dependent origination, and so forth. All right here. IMHO.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I think what distinguishes Zen is the emphasis on the direct experience of awareness of just this right now.

All the mind games have to go.
    Enjoy the moment.
    And practice is all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Zen... the Zen taught here, is a form of the Buddhadharma that is very straightforward and direct. It comes straight from the heartwood of the Bodhi Tree, because in "just sitting" are the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold path, dependent origination, and so forth. All right here. IMHO.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Ok....what makes you a 'Zen' Buddhist? Just sitting? Thats not unique to 'Zen'. Is it the 'Soto(ness)'? If so what is that and what distinguishes it from anything else?
    Must we BE something? I feel so much of practice (for me) is letting go of "being", and going forth with "doing".

I'm so weary of trying to maintain being A Generation X Father and Husband Computer Scientist Soto Zen Buddhist Musician in Rural America. It is exhausting.

Sitting, bowing, chanting, doing chores as required, hugging, laughing, crying. They all come and go, naturally, contingent on causes and conditions. The forms (of bows and chants) come down from others who call themselves "the Soto sect", but they live through enactment. I sit and the sitting me's. I bow, and the bowing me's.

I hope that doesn't sound smarmy, it is just like, opinioning man. ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sat and bowed and chanted and did chores today.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

When we sit, and let go. . .of everything, what makes the practice specifically a 'Zen' practice?

Sat Today
    Hello,

Show this "we" . . . .

Distinctions are good fun.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosha View Post
    Show this "we" . . . .
    "The oak tree in the garden!"
    -- Joshu

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

...When we sit, and let go....of everything, what makes the practice specifically a 'Zen' practice?

...I guess I am asking this as I have become aware of the potential for there being LOTS of ego involved in our (ones) practice - albeit extremely subtley. Like tradition, colour of robes, shape of Buddha statue etc....not sure where I am going with this but there's a thorn there somewhere
    Hi Tony,

Maybe the thorn is “Zen”. It’s really hard to define What Zen Is, but we recognize it when we encounter it. I think maybe that’s because, although it is real, there is no thing that exists that is Zen. We have the same trouble with other big concepts (ideas, forces, processes) like love, honor, time, gravity, etc.

The label “Zen” is a word or an idea that we use to help each other understand. There is a path of practice that is called Zen. There’s a feeling and a flavor that we call Zen. But there is no specific Zen Reality or Zen Truth that is separate from some other reality or truth.

When we sit, and let go of everything, we also receive everything. Actually it is beyond even the distinction of letting go and receiving. We sit in actualization of what is. This is not a Zen experience, it is a human experience. No, not even specifically human, just a here-and-now experience. Not even here and now, but everywhere and everywhen. Just this, eternal flow, infinite stillness.

Don’t be distracted by "Zen".

I really like the quote that John shared, from the Bloodstream Sermon. It comes pretty close, for me.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

p.s. An apple is of course also an orange, and an orange is an aardvark, and I am he as you are he and you are me and we are all together. Still, I like mango’s very much, and that’s okay.

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post

p.s. An apple is of course also an orange, and an orange is an aardvark, and I am he as you are he and you are me and we are all together. Still, I like mango’s very much, and that’s okay.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Joyo
    I don't see where ego has to have a part in this. Someone is practicing Tibetan, or Zen, the person down the street may be a Christian, Jew, Hindu. Different flavours, all paths up the same mountain.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

The past teachings I have received have always indicated everything can be Zen.
    Sitting, walking, washing dishes, brushing your teeth,etc.
    Just do it and be present.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Must we BE something? I feel so much of practice (for me) is letting go of "being", and going forth with "doing".

I'm so weary of trying to maintain being A Generation X Father and Husband Computer Scientist Soto Zen Buddhist Musician in Rural America. It is exhausting.

Sitting, bowing, chanting, doing chores as required, hugging, laughing, crying. They all come and go, naturally, contingent on causes and conditions. The forms (of bows and chants) come down from others who call themselves "the Soto sect", but they live through enactment. I sit and the sitting me's. I bow, and the bowing me's.

I hope that doesn't sound smarmy, it is just like, opinioning man. ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sat and bowed and chanted and did chores today.
    That's really nice,thanks!
    Sat today

Hi Tony,

The "I don't know" that is talked about here is not the "I don't know" that is talked about there. The "I don't know" answer given here I think is the all inclusive one. The one that swallows everything (including itself), the one that makes Zen Zen and not Zen at once.

Just my 2 cents...

Gassho, Jishin, SatToday
    Hello Jishin,

Hua'tou/Hwadu.... 'What is this'? ..... I don't know mind! I did my rounds re Korean and Ch'an Buddhism.

I guess I am answering my own question - when we sit all the Zen(ness) goes, the Japanese/Korean/Thai/Tibetan...means nothing in Emptiness. So off the cushion it feels like a bit like wallowing in the illusion rather than trying to perpetuate what might be realised/experienced when sitting. Unless you're massively realised there is a difference.....for now!

Sat today

I guess I am answering my own question - when we sit all the Zen(ness) goes, the Japanese/Korean/Thai/Tibetan...means nothing in Emptiness. So off the cushion it feels like a bit like wallowing in the illusion rather than trying to perpetuate what might be realised/experienced when sitting. Unless you're massively realised there is a difference.....for now!

But a funny-wonderful-wise aspect of this Way and Shikantaza is that "Emptiness" is not just empty. On the cushion and off, the complex, tangled this and that of this world, our thoughts, Zen, Christianity, Buddha, Enlightenment, Delusion, Italy and America and Japan ... Buddha statues and robes or no Buddha statues and naked ... all Empty!

In other words, "Emptiness" shines through and --is-- also each and all things.

We do not simply sit to get to a place where there is no "Zen" or "Buddha Status" etc ... but rather, to a place right in and through "is" or "is not".

This is really hard for some folks to get, but before we sit the things of this world are just the things of this world ... delusion.

After sitting, the things of this world are Emptiness, Emptiness precisely the things of this world ... enlightenment.

To just be in a place with only Emptiness, all the things and complexity vanished is (we say in the Zen world) "only 80%" (i.e., half baked).

Thus, come back to that place (how does one "come back" to what has been true all along even if unseen?) where there is Zen, statues, robes ... or not ... all good.

This morning I read something by Dogen on this, on life and death ... but you can substitute any words and dichotomies in all the world ... Buddhist/Christian/Atheist, Vanilla/Chocolate/Strawberry, Liberal/Conservative, Italian Food/Chinese Food ... (from Shobogenzo Shoji) ...

Just understand that life and death is itself nirvana and neither dislike life and death nor seek after nirvana. Only then will it be possible for us to be released from life and death…. This present life and death is the life of Buddha.
    Gassho, J

Lit incense, wore a robe, SatToday, then ate some Italian food.

Drop it all. Not in favour of anything else. Just drop it all. No need to be content. No need to be comforable in your practice. That's zen, in my humble opinion.

Gassho,

Ongen
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Drop it all. Not in favour of anything else. Just drop it all. No need to be content. No need to be comforable in your practice. That's zen, in my humble opinion.
    Agree totally. Once you have the conception you are a Zen student sitting Zen meditation it is no longer Zen. It is just mind making up stories.

Sometimes practice feels comfortable, sometimes it doesn't. It is the practice bit that is important, not the degree of comfort which comes and goes.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Agree totally. Once you have the conception you are a Zen student sitting Zen meditation it is no longer Zen. It is just mind making up stories.

Sometimes practice feels comfortable, sometimes it doesn't. It is the practice bit that is important, not the degree of comfort which comes and goes.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday
    Good point! I've had these experiences lately where everything is just dropped, still, and as it is. It's as if, the more I practice, the big uppercase Zen dissolves.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I just read this passage this morning in Peter Matthiessen's collection of his Zen journals, 'Nine-Headed Dragon River', and it seemed pertinent to this thread, especially the last line:

"To practice Zen means to realize one's existence moment after moment, rather than letting life unravel in regret of the past and daydreaming of the future. To rest in the present is a state of magical simplicity, although attainment of this state is not as simple as it sounds. At the very least, sitting Zen practice, called zazen, will bring about a strong sense of well-being, as the clutter of ideas and emotions falls away and body and mind return to natural harmony with all creation. Out of this emptiness can come a true insight into the nature of existence, which is no different one's Buddha nature. To travel this path, one need not be a 'Zen Buddhist', which is only another idea to be discarded, like 'enlightenment' and like 'the Buddha' and like 'God'."

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

I just read this passage this morning in Peter Matthiessen's collection of his Zen journals, 'Nine-Headed Dragon River', and it seemed pertinent to this thread, especially the last line:

"To practice Zen means to realize one's existence moment after moment, rather than letting life unravel in regret of the past and daydreaming of the future. To rest in the present is a state of magical simplicity, although attainment of this state is not as simple as it sounds. At the very least, sitting Zen practice, called zazen, will bring about a strong sense of well-being, as the clutter of ideas and emotions falls away and body and mind return to natural harmony with all creation. Out of this emptiness can come a true insight into the nature of existence, which is no different one's Buddha nature. To travel this path, one need not be a 'Zen Buddhist', which is only another idea to be discarded, like 'enlightenment' and like 'the Buddha' and like 'God'."

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday
    Hmmm, maybe a bit romantic, idyllic and florid in expression, as one would expect from such a gifted and descriptive writer as Peter Matthiessen (he was the teacher of my mentor, Doshin Cantor, and such a wonderful writer. Snow Leopard is one of my favorite books). Also, there is maybe a drop the flavor of their Sanbo Kyodan Lineage through Maezumi Roshi. However, a lovely statement nonetheless.

Gassho, Jundo (who can't write "worth beans", as they say in America)

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-07-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday
    Very nice passage Koku. You inspired me to read him again. Many years ago when I met my wife to be, she was open to building a relationship after I told her how much I appreciated Peter Matthisens book "Snow Leopard." I should have written him about my gratitude before he passed. In fact, I think this is the first time I have ever told anyone that.

Metta to you on your journey

Gassho

Randy
    sattoday

That is a lovely story, Randy. I like the idea of people being brought together by a love for the same book.

Much metta to you also.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

...the Boddhidharma lineage! as said above...Chan... Zen...direct transmission beyond the scriptures.

I would add Uchiyama roshi's defenition of Genjokoan: THE ORDINARY PROFOUNDITY OF THE PRESENT MOMENT BECOMING THE PRESENT MOMENT.

sat2day
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Thanks everyone for your insights. I think I have just been giving us humans a hard time for being, human! We all have aesthetic preferences and that doesn't mean that we're embellishing our egos....I guess it does....but hey ho eh?
    Sat today