Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Metta Thread

Metta Thread

Hi All,

what do you think about a Metta thread? Offering Metta is such a wonderful practice that softens the heart, cultivates compassion, dissolves boundaries, and... who knows, maybe it actually helps the recipients too. This could be a central place to mention anyone you know who could use some good vibes and wishes, even yourself. Tell a bit about their story or just put up their name, however you like. I'd love to join you in sending Metta to someone. Here are Jundo's instructions for Metta:

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post18323

Metta always starts with the self, so lets send some lovingkindness to us, Treeleaf.

1. May we be free of suffering; may we feel safe and still.

2. May we be free of enmity; may we be loving, grateful and kind.

3. May we be healthy and at ease in all our ills.

4. May we be at peace, embracing all conditions of life.
    Do you have anyone you'd like to send Metta to today?

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you Lisa. I think this was a beautiful idea.

Gassho,
    Brooks sat today.
    "The victorious ones have said that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. For whomever emptiness is a view, that one has achieved nothing." - Nagarjuna

I'd like to offer metta to a homeless man who is living around my block. I am afraid of him, because he often shouts swearwords at passers by and hits the ground with a stick. Some days ago, I was almost sure I had seen his sleeping bag two streets away, but I did not dare approach him to ask him, though knowing how hard this loss would be for him.
    I feel bad about my cowardice, and I wish him to be at peace, so people will be able to approach him more easily.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Nindo
    Hi Lisa,
    we used to have a "central" metta thread, but it doesn't hurt to start a new one. These things live for some time and then get buried (except the Haiku and Photo thread ).

Gassho
    Nindo

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Joyo
    Yes, I agree, metta to all.

My uncle's memorial service will be held on Saturday. His wife is alone now, no children, but hopefully lots of friends and family to love and support her through this very difficult time. Any death is sad, but this one is particularly bothersome to me, as my uncle had a very, very hard life as a child. I never had an opportunity to get to know him very well, but I do think this affected his adult life also.

I will be attending his service on Saturday, where his ashes will be scattered along a creek where he used to go swimming as a child.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Metta to all.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi Lisa,

I think this is a great idea. Thank you for this thoughtful contribution to our community.

Gassho,
    Matt
    #SatToday

Thank you for starting this thread Lisa, and for linking back to Jundo's post. I had not seen that one. My blood pressure dropped a few points just from reading it.

Metta to all,

Sean
    #SatToday

Mp
    Thank you Lisa ... suffering is hard, whether with ourselves or seeing it in others. Metta practice I feel helps us transcend that hardness.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
    I'd like to offer metta to a homeless man who is living around my block. I am afraid of him, because he often shouts swearwords at passers by and hits the ground with a stick. Some days ago, I was almost sure I had seen his sleeping bag two streets away, but I did not dare approach him to ask him, though knowing how hard this loss would be for him.
    I feel bad about my cowardice, and I wish him to be at peace, so people will be able to approach him more easily.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday
    Hi Danny,

adding your homeless man to "my" Metta practice today. This sounds sadly familiar to me, from when I lived in a big city. It is not cowardly to keep yourself safe! Hoping things improve for him. He could be any one of us, given the specific circumstances.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Yes, I agree, metta to all.

My uncle's memorial service will be held on Saturday. His wife is alone now, no children, but hopefully lots of friends and family to love and support her through this very difficult time. Any death is sad, but this one is particularly bothersome to me, as my uncle had a very, very hard life as a child. I never had an opportunity to get to know him very well, but I do think this affected his adult life also.

I will be attending his service on Saturday, where his ashes will be scattered along a creek where he used to go swimming as a child.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    Hi Joyo,

will be thinking of you and sending metta for the whole family, and especially his wife.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

So much suffering around us...thank you Lisa for starting this back up again.

I'm thinking of you and your family Joyo.

I will also offer metta to the homeless man and all others in a similar condition.

I'd like to add that my husband's family isn't doing so well right now. My Father-in-law has prostate cancer and will begin aggressive treatment starting in Sept. My Mother-in-law has Leukemia and will be having a bone marrow sample taken tomorrow (very painful procedure) to determine if she needs to start treatment. And my 84 year old grandmother-in-law keeps falling and is steadily getting weaker.

Any Metta you could offer my husband, Eric and his (our) family would be greatly appreciated.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sattoday
    Last edited by KellyRok; 08-19-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyRok View Post
    Any Metta you could offer my husband, Eric and his (our) family would be greatly appreciated.
    Much metta to you Jinmei, your husband, and your family.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday for all who are suffering

How wonderful to be able to do this, as if we were
    holding hands and spreading metta across the time zones like a rainbow...
    Gassho,
    Sierra
    Metta to All Tonight

A beautiful thing allowing all of us to share. Thank you Lisa.

I will pause tonight and be mindful of you and your families Joyo and Jinmei.

Gassho

Randy
    Sat Today

Joyo
    To all homeless people, to your family Jinmei....to all sentient beings, metta to all.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Nindo
    Metta to Danny who is going through some rough times at her work place.

Gassho
    Nindo
    #mettatoall

Thank you, Nindo.
    Some see the flowers, some see the cracks in the pot.
    Everyone had pizza together today

Gassho,
    Danny
    #NigelI'mlate!

Thank you for this thread.

I have been particularly sensitive about metta and how it affects life around us.

Metta for all sentient beings.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Danny B View Post

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday
    Danny, don't be afraid of him. Something has happened to his brain, which is causing his mind to mal-function. But first, keep your-self safe. You can offer metta from a distance. We have someone like that in our building. Most of the time he s the most loving, caring, helpful person here. But in a second, he can snap and scream and punch things and talk about killing people. And then it is gone.

Send him peace and comfort. He will feel it.

Gassho,

Lee

Yesterday we found out that one of the boys in my daughters' high school, 16 or 17 years old, committed suicide. My girls recognized him, but didn't know him personally. Still, it is affecting the whole community. It hurts my heart to think of someone hurting that much, especially someone so young. He was barely even starting out into life. As a parent of kids about the same age, I also can't even let myself think about what the boy's parents must be going through.

Metta to his family, friends and community. Also, go hug your loved ones today & and do something a little extra nice for someone. You never know when even a little act of humanity might make a difference.

long, deep bow,

Sean
    #SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatosGhost View Post
    Yesterday we found out that one of the boys in my daughters' high school, 16 or 17 years old, committed suicide. My girls recognized him, but didn't know him personally. Still, it is affecting the whole community. It hurts my heart to think of someone hurting that much, especially someone so young. He was barely even starting out into life. As a parent of kids about the same age, I also can't even let myself think about what the boy's parents must be going through.

Metta to his family, friends and community. Also, go hug your loved ones today & and do something a little extra nice for someone. You never know when even a little act of humanity might make a difference.

long, deep bow,

Sean
    #SatToday
    Yes, sending much metta to the family and families who have lost loved ones to suicide. I too just lost a good friend last week to suicide. Life is short and very precious, take the time to hug, love, and show people you care, that they matter, and that they are not alone.

Deep bows
    Shingen

#sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    . . . I too just lost a good friend last week to suicide.
    I'm so sorry Shingen. Metta to you and your friend's family too.

Deep bows,

Sean
    #SatToday

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatosGhost View Post
    I'm so sorry Shingen. Metta to you and your friend's family too.

Deep bows,

Sean
    #SatToday
    Thank you Sean.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Let's sit for all struggling young people and their families.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yes, Metta to all.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

My own 16 year old daughter has been battling depression so this especially hits home. Metta to all families dealing with young ones in pain.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

I am so sorry. Metta to all.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Anyone want to join me in sending Metta to all the poor folks suffering from violence and displacement in the world? I am so saddened by these daily stories of hundreds of thousands of injured and dying migrants, people just trying to save themselves and their loved ones. And it seems that my little voice is so in the minority compared to all the others clamoring to shut borders (and hearts) against them.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Yes, thank you for the reminder. Let us sit for all migrants and refugees everywhere.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, thank you for the reminder. Let us sit for all migrants and refugees everywhere.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Yes, I saw some troubling images in the media ... very sad, will be dedicating my evening sit for all migrants and refugees facing such hardship.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Yes, I saw some troubling images in the media ... very sad, will be dedicating my evening sit for all migrants and refugees facing such hardship.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Yes, me too, dedicating my sit, lighting a candle on my alter, and showing kindness to those around me as much as I can....all in their honour.

Gassho,
    joyo
    sat today

These news reports are so sad. I too will plan to sit for migrants and refugees.

Deep bows,
    Matt
    #SatToday

Yes, it is sad and upsetting.

It's just impressive how mean we all can be when we allow the divisive mind dominate us.

Sitting and chanting for all living creatures suffering from divisive thought.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Yugen
    Metta to all. My heart is heavy at the thought of children, parents and families suffering.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

I must have had a weird premonition yesterday, when I posted about the refugees, I was feeling sadness vibes (a disturbance in the force!?) I had heard there was a car accident right near my house (I live in a rural area) but info was very hush-hush.. until last night I found out a teen that my younger daughter knew and her Mom were killed, and the grandmother was airlifted to hospital. My daughter and her friends are crushed and they are having a candlelight vigil at the school tonight... school starts next week, I can't imagine what the family is going through... I will do the Zazenkai tonight, but will be sitting with tears in my eyes.

Autumn is coming
    Impermanence visible
    Gentle rain falling

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Let us sit for all accident victims and their families too.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Hi All,

thank you for sharing here. As in the story of Kisa Gotami and the mustard seed, there is no shortage of people in need of compassion. I'm grateful for the opportunity to share these parts of our lives and practice together. I hope it brings us closer and helps us to focus on hope, always, and gratitude, and the realization that we really are not separate.

Today I'm sitting for Byrne and his wife, who obviously have so much love; may they find peace as well.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Yes! I also will sit for Byrne and his wife. Marriage can be supremely challenging and it sounds like they have weathered much more than their share of challenges.

Thank you for starting this thread! The discussion in Ongen's thread, and Jundo's Ango talk, has awakened a realization. Coming together in the Sangha is not just for ego-centered desire to assuage loneliness or find others who practice the same "religion,"...it's to strengthen the ability to make positive changes. Others do not always understand outward equanimity or a forgiving attitude. My voice does feel tiny when I express unpopular opinions such as opening our hearts to refugees, or exhibiting kindness towards a young drunk driver in jail... but when we combine together here, we can all send them Metta as a group and the healing energy will perhaps spread. (As Jundo said, Hitler wouldn't have been Hitler if he had done Metta practice). Although there are other spiritual/religious groups that do wonderful, selfless work, it seems like within this framework that is called Soto Zen, it can be done without judging others or trying to "convert" people to think a certain way in exchange for help.

Sorry if this is all obvious stuff, I am still new here, and having epiphanies.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra529 View Post
    Although there are other spiritual/religious groups that do wonderful, selfless work, it seems like within this framework that is called Soto Zen, it can be done without judging others or trying to "convert" people to think a certain way in exchange for help.

Sorry if this is all obvious stuff, I am still new here, and having epiphanies.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday
    I would say that is the outlook around here.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Thank you, Sierra. And it doesn't matter how one long has been practicing, we are all human and constant beginners, always in need of compassionate reminders. So thank you.

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Sierra, that is so sad to hear about your daughter's friend and her mom. Always so shocking that life can end in an instant.

I live very close to Dover (the main British port to France) so the refugee crisis is big news here. There are thousands of displaced people in Calais, many from Syria and other wartorn countries, trying to climb aboard trucks and enter the UK. One man walked almost the full length of the tunnel underneath the English Channel. It is a horrible situation and our government has been slow to act but now people are taking it upon themselves to set up collection points for donation and arrange transport of food, clothing and other items to those in need. Many countries are now taking refugees too which is great. It must be such an upheaval to have to leave your homeland and everything you know and entrust your family to people smugglers who are more interested in your money than whether you arrive safely.

Much metta for all trying to find a safe haven.

Kokuu
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    And it doesn't matter how one long has been practicing, we are all human and constant beginners, always in need of compassionate reminders. So thank you.
    Nicely said Kaishin, thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Kokuu,

it's the same situation here in Germany.
    Unfortunately, old and new Nazis here add suffering to the tantalized people, setting fire to (uninhabited) refugee quarters, generating an atmosphere of fear. A lot of this "I am not a Nazi, BUT ..." stuff is showing up lately.
    Improvised police stations had to be build in the refugee camps to keep them save.
    It's so sad to see.

I'am trying to send metta also to all those little Hitlers, but honestly, it's not as wholeheartedly, as it should be :-(.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean that my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hi Ralf

The German government and people should be commended for their humanity and generosity toward the refugees. Your country is taking a lead on this and should be proud of that. I have read about the far right opposition, and sadly there is a strong anti-refugee movement here too which has until recently been reflected by the government. Strong anti-immigration policies seem to be very popular. It is worrying that has tipped over to arson.

Yes, is definitely hard to feel metta for those opposing the compassion towards refugees but those people are operating from their own fear for their families and country, even if we may see it as entirely misguided.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Hi Kokuu,
    the compassion of people in my hometown makes me feel better about all this.
    The video below shows privately organized people, sorting donated clothes.
    Fun to help there, it's organized in a way, that you can just show up between 9am and 9pm, say "hi" and help sorting/driving etc. as long as you like.
    There are similar places for sanitary products etc. and smaller ones spread over the city, helping with authorities, cooking, playing with kids and the like.
    Yesterday, about 120 refugees arrived at a smaller part of town, with only 2 hours forerun, 500 locals showed up at the station, welcoming them with food and drink.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.

Metta to all works.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast