Thread: Can you explain the Zen in words?

Can you explain the Zen in words?

Can you explain the Zen in words?

Do you know him? Kitaro Nishida.He was philosopher in Japan,and he was at same school with D.T Suzuki.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitaro_Nishida

He challenge that integration of eastern and western philosophy.

He also sat Zazen,and express Zen and Zazen in words.

I can not understand mechanism about my experience at Zazen.But I think that very important to understand mechanism of our mind.

I found youtube movie about Nishida philosophy.

This movie is Japanese but translation in English is not bad.

When I lose control my life I meet Zen and Victor Frankl style counseling.

I think that nearly the same of Zen and Victor Frankl said.
    But Frankl was at Europe at western country.I think that Japanese Soto-Zen is just sit Shikantaza.

In my experience of Zazen help me is as same as his word I think.

First of all, we
    Do not questioning the meaning of life.

We are in life
    It is a position that has been questioned,

We have the answer of life
    It must be issued.

Sorry for using Google transtation.Maybe when we release our mind and accept everything at out side,we have a good experience. So I always say ,just sit.

Kitaro Nishida was sitter of Zazen and philosopher in east.

His main opinion is integration of subjective and objective.I think that essence of Zazen is such like so.In Japanese word Syukyakumibun
    主客未分(しゅきゃくみぶん)
    Last edited by Kakunen; 08-15-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Hi Mr. K

Whenever some asks me what is Zen, the first thing I say is that Zen is not shampoo or a spa. It's not a calm state of mind or peace, like they say in many product commercials.

I say that Zen is life, complete with everything it has. Life includes war, tears, sadness, death... but also includes happiness, peace, love, sun and air.

Zen is everything at the same time and it's our job to experience it with no attachments or resistances. Zen is the universe and since we are part of it, we are Zen.

I know it's a pretty narrow view, but it's how I try to explain in few words so people understand.

Now, if they keep on asking, I kindly ask people to begin Shikantaza practice

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Don't get too caught up in philosophy and thinking about it. We don't know anything. Just sit and watch your mind, accept it and let it go. With practice you will see the difference between your thinking mind and just this now. Even if we under stood the mechanism of our mind we can't control it. The mind just keeps thinking, dreaming etc but with practice we don't react to it and learn to put it down and smell the roses.

SAT today

SAT today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Hi,

Zen is zen.

Zen is not zen.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Thank you very much.
    ありがとうございます。

I know that too much thinking about Zen and Zen experience and sometimes no mean such like exprain in word.
    禅と禅経験について考えすぎることと、言葉で説明することは時に危険でもあります。

But sometimes we need some kind of theme and sit Sesshin is very important I think.
    I believe just hard experience is sometimes very noticed.
    それでも我々はこのようなテーマについて考える必要があり、接心のような経験は時に必要です。
    私はこのような経験は大切な気づきと考えます。

And I think that our predecessor like D.T Suzuki and Kitaro Nishida,and many monk of Zen in Japan.They translated Zen for English.
    我々の先人である鈴木大拙や西田幾多郎のような禅修行者は苦労をして禅を英語で説明しました。

So I think that we should talk each other.
    今こそ我々もそのような努力をしてもいいのでは?

This is a English movie of DT Suzuki. 合掌Gassho.

あなたたちも禅を追うのではなく、相手の文化について理解しようとしてみませんか?
    Last edited by Kakunen; 08-17-2015 at 10:51 AM.

禅は禅であり、禅にあらず。しからば禅とは何ぞ。

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi,

Zen is zen.

Zen is not zen.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
    Last edited by Kakunen; 08-17-2015 at 10:57 AM.

哲学と仏教は表裏一体である。

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Don't get too caught up in philosophy and thinking about it. We don't know anything. Just sit and watch your mind, accept it and let it go. With practice you will see the difference between your thinking mind and just this now. Even if we under stood the mechanism of our mind we can't control it. The mind just keeps thinking, dreaming etc but with practice we don't react to it and learn to put it down and smell the roses.

SAT today

SAT today

只管打坐だけで常に然りか?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi Mr. K

Whenever some asks me what is Zen, the first thing I say is that Zen is not shampoo or a spa. It's not a calm state of mind or peace, like they say in many product commercials.

I say that Zen is life, complete with everything it has. Life includes war, tears, sadness, death... but also includes happiness, peace, love, sun and air.

Zen is everything at the same time and it's our job to experience it with no attachments or resistances. Zen is the universe and since we are part of it, we are Zen.

I know it's a pretty narrow view, but it's how I try to explain in few words so people understand.

Now, if they keep on asking, I kindly ask people to begin Shikantaza practice

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    禅は禅であり、禅にあらず。しからば禅とは何ぞ。
    禅は禅です。禅は禅ではありません。ていない禅は禅ではありません。禅は、一度に禅禅とはありません。てい ない禅は一度禅禅とはありません。私はただ座って禅を心配しないべきだと思います。あまりにも 多くの禅!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hello,

Well said.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

ただ座って禅を心配しないべきだと思います。Good!

When we sit ,we should not worry about Zazen.

ありがとうございます。Thank you. Danke. 谢谢.Gracias。

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    禅は禅です。禅は禅ではありません。ていない禅は禅ではありません。禅は、一度に禅禅とはありません。てい ない禅は一度禅禅とはありません。私はただ座って禅を心配しないべきだと思います。あまりにも 多くの禅!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Joyo
    Kyonin, Rich, thank you

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today