Thread: Special Zazenkai SATURDAY with Rev. Mary Mocine of Clear Water Zendo (REDUX)

Special Zazenkai SATURDAY with Rev. Mary Mocine of Clear Water Zendo (REDUX)

Mary has asked me to post the reading from Master Dogen below, and that you read it before the Zazenkai ...

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Rev. Mary Mocine, guiding the Clear Water Zendo/Vallejo Zen Center in California, will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SATURDAY AUGUST 15th, LIVE from Vallejo and Treeleaf Tsukuba. This will be a special united event, as we will actually be participating in the Saturday Morning weekly Zazenkai at Clear Water with their members.

For those who don't know about Mary ...

Mary Mocine (born February 21, 1944) is a Soto Zen priest in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki-roshi currently leading the Clear Water Zendo at the Vallejo Zen Center in Vallejo, California. A Dharma heir of Sojun Mel Weitsman of the Berkeley Zen Center, Mary began her Zen practice in 1988 at Berkeley Zen Center and Green Gulch Farm after 18 years of practicing law. She took three months off from her law practice in 1989 to devote herself more fully to Zen practice and never did return to her job as an attorney. In 1990 she entered Tassajara Zen Mountain Center and spent the next four years in monastic training, ordaining as a Soto priest in 1994 under Sojun-roshi. In addition to her studies with Sojun-roshi, Mary has also studied with Zoketsu Norman Fischer, Yvonne Rand, Zenkei Blanche Hartman and Tenshin Reb Anderson. During the winter practice session of 1998 at Tassajara, Mary served as shuso (head monk or head student). This is a position where an individual assumes more responsibility as a priest, giving lectures and participating in Dharma discussion with students. After serving as shuso Mary was invited to give Dharma talks and teach classes, also continuing to provide individual practice discussion with students.

Mary has also served at all three SFZC locations in a variety of senior staff positions, including tenzo (head cook), shika (guest manager), ino (head of the Meditation Hall), and director. In 1999 she undertook formal training in hospice care at the Zen Hospice Project in San Francisco, a project that was initiated by the SFZC. She also provides meditation instruction for those incarcerated at Solano State Prison in Vacaville, California. In 1998 she formed a meditation group in Vallejo, California which grew in size by 1999 and in 2000 Clear Water Zendo at Vallejo Zen Center opened. In 2005 Mary received Dharma transmission from her “root” teacher, Sojun Mel Weitsman. Among her many endeavors as a Soto priest, Mary sometimes offers retreats specially designed for lawyers.

Interview at SweepingZen:
    http://sweepingzen.com/mary-mocine-interview-2/

The festivities will begin at 9:30 AM CALIFORNIA TIME SATURDAY (that is 12:30pm in New York, London 5:30pm and Paris 6:30pm, all SATURDAY AUGUST 15th).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a little Kinhin, a Talk by Mary for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf and Clear Water participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I would like to fill our hangout and show Mary a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo). It will be worth your time.

I will post immeditately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome Mary! I believe this is her first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, so I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - It would be polite for those participating to offer a little donation to Clear Water Zendo for their support and in gratitude to the Teacher. Below a link for donations, and I am going to ask all our Treeleaf members who benefit from Mary's visit (not only the folks joining live, but those who will sit later or just listen to his words), to offer a donation for their upkeep there.

As well, here is the link to Vallejo Zen Center, where there is also a link and more information: http://www.vallejozencenter.org/

----------------

The reading for this Zazenkai:

Shobogenzo EIHEI KOSO HOTSUGANMON by Dogen Zenji

We vow with all beings, from this life on throughout countless lives, to hear the true
    dharma; that upon hearing it, no doubt will arise in us, nor will we lack in faith; that
    upon meeting it, we shall renounce worldly affairs and maintain the buddha-dharma;
    and that in doing so, the great earth and all living beings together will attain the
    buddha way.

Although our past evil karma has greatly accumulated, indeed being the cause
    and condition of obstacles in practicing the way, may all buddhas and ancestors who
    have attained the buddha way be compassionate to us and free us from karmic effects,
    allowing us to practice the way without hindrance.

May they share with us their compassion, which fills the boundless
    universe with the virtue of their enlightenment and teachings. buddhas and ancestors
    of old were as we; we in the future shall be buddhas and ancestors. Revering buddhas
    and ancestors, we are one buddha and one ancestor; awakening bodhi-mind, we are
    one bodhi-mind. Because they extend their compassion to us freely and without limit,
    we are able to attain buddhahood and let go of the attainment. Therefore, the Chan

Master Lung-ya said:
    Those who in past lives were not enlightened will now be enlightened.
    In this life, save the body which is the fruit of many lives.
    Before buddhas were enlightened, they were the same as we.
    Enlightened people of today are exactly as those of old.

Quietly explore the farthest reaches of these causes and conditions, as this
    practice is the exact transmission of a verified buddha. Confessing and repenting in
    this way, one never fails to receive profound help from all buddhas and ancestors. By
    revealing and disclosing our lack of faith and practice before the buddha, we melt
    away the root of transgressions by the power of our confession and repentance. This is
    the pure and simple color of true practice, of the true mind of faith, of the true body of
    faith.
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-15-2015 at 10:07 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout which will be on the Treeleaf Google Plus (LINK). If there is additional demand, a few people will be on STANDBY for that group.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS.

The people for this group are (as of now):

1- Bryson
    2- Broahes (Brooks)
    3- Dosho
    4- Calm Heart (Randy)
    5- Sergey
    6- Shingen
    7- Sekishi
    8- Ian
    9- Jundo
    10- Mary Mocine

Standby - Daizan
    Standby - Kyonin

Folks not in the 2-way hangouts can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen to be posted in this Forum and at our Google+ page.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Mary from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Mary, and I will try to read her as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-15-2015 at 03:02 AM.

I would love to reserve a place again, but I will be in Idyllwild on Saturday helping to do some deconstruction at my grandma's cabin. Perhaps I will have signal and can at least join live one-way.

Thank you both, Jundo and Rev. Mocine.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Dear Jundo,

I would like to attend; thank you.

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Thank you Rev. Jundo, thank you Rev. Mocine, really looking forward to this. I will be live one-way, internet permitting.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

As I will be staying with friends that weekend, I'll have to sit with the recorded version.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Jundo,

I would like yo reserve a standby spot if possible, as I am not yet familiar with Hangouts and would like to leave the room for those that are. I will be sitting live either way. I just want to make sure the room is full in a show of appreciation.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Brooks sat today.
    "The victorious ones have said that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. For whomever emptiness is a view, that one has achieved nothing." - Nagarjuna

Mp
    This is wonderful Jundo and if there is a spot, I would be more than happy to participate two way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Please count me in if there is room.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Joyo
    I will have to sit with the recording for this one. Thank you very much, Jundo. I am looking forward to it.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I can watch one way but if you want to fill any empty spots on Hangouts I can be there. BTW I am going camping too so won't be back until Friday afternoon....in time for the Zazenkai, assuming I find my way out of the woods. ��

Gassho

Randy
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Calm Heart View Post
    I can watch one way but if you want to fill any empty spots on Hangouts I can be there. BTW I am going camping too so won't be back until Friday afternoon....in time for the Zazenkai, assuming I find my way out of the woods. ��

Gassho

Randy
    sat today
    Let me mention that we will also have the usual Friday Night Zazenkai. Gassho, J

SatToday

Thank you.
    I would like to reserve the two-way again, if there will be space.

Gassho,
    Sergey
    sat-today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Let me mention that we will also have the usual Friday Night Zazenkai. Gassho, J

SatToday
    I too am back from the Mountains and thank you for the clarification, you saw my confusion I will participate in both.

Randy
    sat today

Hi,

Please note that seats have been assigned in the two-way hangout. Look for invitations in the coming day.

The people for this group are (as of now):

1- Bryson
    2- Broahes (Brooks)
    3- Dosho
    4- Calm Heart (Randy)
    5- Sergey
    6- Shingen
    7- Sekishi
    8- Ian
    9- Jundo
    10- Mary Mocine

Standby - Daizan
    Standby - Kyonin
    Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-15-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there. Hopefully a spot is still open or will open up later

Gasssho,
    Ian
    Sat today
    日々是好日/Everyday is a good day.

Hi Ian,

I will give you a seat, move Dosho (our seat filler ) to standby at his request.

Gassho, J

Hi Jundo.

I'll be there, but please add me to the Stand By list. If there is a seat, I'll take it most likely in audio only.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thanks Jundo!

Gassho,
    Ian
    日々是好日/Everyday is a good day.

Jundo,

I still have over an hour of work left before I can leave. Please give my seat to one of the standbys. I will join when I get home if there is room, if not.. I'm still there one way.

Gassho,
    Brooks
    "The victorious ones have said that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. For whomever emptiness is a view, that one has achieved nothing." - Nagarjuna

Quote Originally Posted by broahes View Post
    Jundo,

I still have over an hour of work left before I can leave. Please give my seat to one of the standbys. I will join when I get home if there is room, if not.. I'm still there one way.

Gassho,
    Brooks
    Hi Brooks,

It is during Saturday, not Friday. Can you still make it?

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Brooks,

It is during Saturday, not Friday. Can you still make it?

Gassho, J
    I had my times mixed up with the regular schedule. Yes, I can certainly make this time. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Brooks sat today.

I have to put in a full day's work tomorrow (financial necessity), so please allow someone else to take my spot. It sounds like it will be wonderful.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    I have to put in a full day's work tomorrow (financial necessity), so please allow someone else to take my spot. It sounds like it will be wonderful.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    Roger that, you are moved to "standby" on the bench and Dosho takes your spot at third base.

This is like a baseball roster.

Gassho, Coach Jundo

Mary has asked me to post the reading from Master Dogen below, and that you read it before the Zazenkai ...

The reading for this Zazenkai:

Shobogenzo EIHEI KOSO HOTSUGANMON by Dogen Zenji

We vow with all beings, from this life on throughout countless lives, to hear the true
    dharma; that upon hearing it, no doubt will arise in us, nor will we lack in faith; that
    upon meeting it, we shall renounce worldly affairs and maintain the buddha-dharma;
    and that in doing so, the great earth and all living beings together will attain the
    buddha way.

Although our past evil karma has greatly accumulated, indeed being the cause
    and condition of obstacles in practicing the way, may all buddhas and ancestors who
    have attained the buddha way be compassionate to us and free us from karmic effects,
    allowing us to practice the way without hindrance.

May they share with us their compassion, which fills the boundless
    universe with the virtue of their enlightenment and teachings. buddhas and ancestors
    of old were as we; we in the future shall be buddhas and ancestors. Revering buddhas
    and ancestors, we are one buddha and one ancestor; awakening bodhi-mind, we are
    one bodhi-mind. Because they extend their compassion to us freely and without limit,
    we are able to attain buddhahood and let go of the attainment. Therefore, the Chan

Master Lung-ya said:
    Those who in past lives were not enlightened will now be enlightened.
    In this life, save the body which is the fruit of many lives.
    Before buddhas were enlightened, they were the same as we.
    Enlightened people of today are exactly as those of old.

Quietly explore the farthest reaches of these causes and conditions, as this
    practice is the exact transmission of a verified buddha. Confessing and repenting in
    this way, one never fails to receive profound help from all buddhas and ancestors. By
    revealing and disclosing our lack of faith and practice before the buddha, we melt
    away the root of transgressions by the power of our confession and repentance. This is
    the pure and simple color of true practice, of the true mind of faith, of the true body of
    faith.

Jundo,

Having to go into work.. Likely for the majority of the day, please replace me on the list. I apologize for all the wishy washiness on this. Such is life.

Gassho,
    Brooks hasn't sat yet today.

Just a note that the hangout will be open about 15 minutes after the hour. Invitation will be resent then.

Come on in when you can.

Gassho, Jundo

Participating with gratitude.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Truly wonderful, thank you Jundo, Mary, and all ... in gratitude. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Ken
    SatToday
    The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
    Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Very grateful for the opportunity to practice and to hear Mary's wonderful talk. Thanks as always, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Yes, very good talk. It hit home. Great to be reminded that we can forgive ourselves and vow again.

Gassho,

Randy

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you to all. A lovely talk, and wonderful opportunity to practice together.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you dear Sangha!
    Thanks to Mary Mocine and Clearwater Sangha for sharing practice with us. What a wonderful and inspiring talk. Thank you always, Jundo, for making all this possible.

Gassho
    Lisa
    Sat today

Watched one way. Thank you. Mary Mocine's talk, especially on confession, struck me in the gut.

Deep bows, Jundo, Mary, and Sangha

Daizan

sat today

Thank you all and thanks to Mary for the wonderful talk.

I tried to sit live, but had technical non-problems. I had to sit and watch one way, renouncing to tantrums and frustrations

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you! What an amazing experience.

Jundo, would it be possible at some point for you to help me find the sutras/readings that Mary recommended? (I had asked about the concept of "help from all buddhas and ancestors.")

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Thank you Mary, Jundo and all the guys who helped set up the zazenkai.
    Mary's talk regarding relationships really hit a note with some trouble I've been having last week with my best mate and her wise and candid words really helped me see a skilful way through this thorny knot.

Many thanks,

Martyn

Sat today.

Deep bows to all who participated...lovely to practice with you all.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

I really enjoyed Mary's talk - warm, funny and down to earth - and very generous spirited in sharing her

difficulties - which are all of our difficulties.

Thanks for arranging Jundo,

Gassho

Willow

Sitting this now.

Gassho,
    Matt

Thank you everyone. Great Zazenkai, wonderful talk of Rev. Mary Macine
    despite I sort of 'suffered' from the internet malfunction by the end of hangout..

Gassho,
    Sergey
    about to sit now

Is anyone else having trouble with the paypal link above? It takes me to paypal but it's an error page that says "sorry this transaction cannot be completed."

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Sierra,

I had that problem as well. So I used the link to her website (Vallejo Zen Center) just below and there was a Donate button there that worked

Gassho

Randy

Oh! Duh, right there underneath. I will try that, thank you!

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Joyo
    Thank you so much Jundo, Mary and everyone. Thank you, Mary, for your sincere, down-to-earth talk.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Absolutely wonderful talk. So relevant and down to earth! Thank you Jundo for making this happen and a big thank you to Mary and to Clear Water Zendo for sharing this with us.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sat today

Nindo
    Finally got around to listening to Mary's talk.
    Deep bows.

Nindo
    sattoday