Thread: August 8th-9th, 2015 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

August 8th-9th, 2015 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

The readings for today's Talk from Master Keizan's Sankon-Zazen-Setsu (Theory of Zazen for Three Personality Types) will be posted immediately below in this thread.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-11-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added podcast link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our reading this month ...

三根坐禅説
    Theory of Zazen for Three Personality Types
    Sankon-Zazen-Setsu by Keizan Zenji
    (translation by YASUDA & ANZAN, with some adjustments from Masunaga and Kennett)

In traditional Buddhist descriptions, there the three levels of capacity that Buddhist practitioners exhibit (sankon 三根; Sk. trīṇi indriyāṇi): dull (donkon 鈍根), middling (chūkon 中根; Sk. madhya indriya), and sharp (rikon 利根; Sk. tīskṣṇa indriya) capacities. These are three different capacities that Buddhist practitioners exhibit.

Dogenologist & Historian Carl Bielefeldt comments (Dogen’s Manuals of Zen Meditation, footnote 33 on p.152):
    Here [in the “Theory of Zazen for Three Personality Types”] Keizan distinguishes three levels in the understanding of zazen (corresponding to the traditional Buddhist disciplines): the lowest emphasizes the ethical character of the practice; the middling, the psychological character; the highest, the philosophical. The second, he describes as ―abandoning the myriad affairs and halting the various involvements, ‖ making unflagging effort to concentrate on breathing or consider a koan, until one has gotten clear about the truth. (In the highest zazen, of course, this truth is already quite clear.) In his influential Zazen yojinki as well – though [Keizan] repeats the Fukan zazen gi passage on nonthinking—Keizan recommends the practice of kanna [Koan phrase centered Zazen] as an antidote to mental agitation in zazen (ibid. 497b).
    JUNDO QUESTION: However, is there really a “high” and “low” and “middle” here?

I.
    上根の坐禅は、諸仏出世の事を覚らず、仏祖不伝の妙を悟らず。飢え来たれば喫飯し、困じ来たれ ば打眠す。
    万象森を指して、以て自己と為すに非ず。覚・不覚倶に存せず。任運堂々として、只麼に正坐す。
    然も是の如くなりと雖も、諸法に於いて分かれず、万法と異にして昧まさざるなり。
    The person whose zazen is of the most profound type has no interest in [questions such as] how the Buddhas [appeared] in this present world. Such a one doesn’t speculate about the truths which cannot even be transmitted by the Buddhas and Ancestors. She doesn’t [doctrinalize] about "all things being the expression of the self" because she is beyond "enlightenment" and "delusion". Since his views never fall into dualistic angles, nothing obstructs him, even when distinctions appear. She just eats when she is hungry. He just sleeps when he is tired.

II.
    中根の坐禅は、万事を抛捨し、諸縁を休息し、十二時中、暫くも怠惰無し。
    出息入息に就いて斷々として工夫す。或いは一則の公案を提撕して、双眼を鼻端に注ぐ。自家本来 の面目、
    生死去来に渉らず。真如仏性の妙理、慮知分別に堕せず。不覚不知にして覚せずということ無し。
    明々了々として、古に亘り今に通ず。当頭十方世界に明らかに、全 身万象の中に独露す。
    The person whose zazen is of a medium type abandons everything and cuts all ties. Throughout the day she is never idle and so every moment of life, every breath, is practice of the Dharma. Or else [as an alternative] he might concentrate on a koan, eyes fixed, his view in one place such as the tip of the nose. Considerations of life and death, going and staying, are not seen on her face. The mind of discrimination can never see into the deepest unchanging truth [of Buddha nature]. [While not thinking dualistically, he is not unenlightened]. From the far past up to right now, wisdom is always brilliant, clear, shining. The whole universe throughout the ten directions is illuminated suddenly from her brow, all things are seen in detail within her body.

III.
    下根の坐禅は、且く結縁を貴んで善悪の業道を離れ、直ちに即心を以て諸仏の性源を顕す。
    足、仏地に結んで悪処に入らず。手、定印を結んで経巻を取らず。
    口を閉じて縫うが如く緘じるが如くにして、一法をも説かず。眼を開いて大ならず小ならずして、
    諸色を分かつこと無し。耳、善悪の声を聴かず。鼻、好悪の香を嗅がず。身、物に寄らず動作頓に 止む。
    意、攀縁せず、憂喜共に尽くす。形相如々にして木仏の如し。縦い心、種々の妄想顛倒を起こすと 雖も、
    其の咎を作らず。譬えば明鏡の上に更に浮影 を留めざるが如し。
    The person whose zazen is just ordinary views all things from all sides and frees herself from good and bad conditions [from the karma of good and evil]. The mind naturally expresses the True Nature of all the Buddhas because Buddha stands right where your own feet are. Thus wrong action does not arise. The hands are held in Reality mudra [position for Zazen] and do not hold onto any scriptures. The mouth is tightly closed, as if the lips were sealed, and no word of doctrine is spoken. The eyes are neither wide open nor shut. Nothing is ever seen from the point of view of fragmentation and good and evil words are left unheard. The nose doesn’t choose one smell as good, another as bad. The body is not propped up [the body relies upon nothing whatsoever] and all delusion is ended. Since delusion does not disturb the mind, neither sorrow nor glee appear [sorrow and joy both drops away]. Just like a wooden carving of the Buddha, both the substance and the form are true. Worldly thoughts might arise but they do not disturb because the mind is a bright mirror with no trace of shadows.

IV.
    五戒・八戒・菩薩の大戒、比丘の具戒・三千の威儀、八万の細行、諸仏菩薩の転妙法輪、
    皆此の坐禅の中自り現前して、尽きること無し。万行の中、最勝の実行は、唯坐禅の一門なり。
    僅かに坐して一歩の功徳を進むれば、則ち百千無量の堂塔を作るに勝れり。
    何に況や常に修して退くこと無きをや。永く生死を解脱して自己の心仏を見ん。
    行住坐臥、無作の妙用に非ずということ無し。見聞覚知、悉く是れ本有の霊光なり。
    初心後心を選ばず、有智無智を論ずること無し。此の如きの坐禅、専精に修行して 忘失すべからず。
    The Precepts arise naturally from zazen whether they are the five, eight, the Great Bodhisattva Precepts, the monastic Precepts, the three thousand rules of deportment, the eighty thousand Teachings, or the supreme Dharma of the Buddhas and Awakened Ancestors. No practice whatsover can be measured against zazen [all these arise from zazen limitlessly]. Should only one merit be gained from the practice of zazen, it is vaster than the construction of a hundred, a thousand or a limitless number of [temples &] monasteries. Practice just sitting ceaselessly [Just do Zazen for ever without ceasing]. Doing so, we are liberated from birth and death and realize our own hidden Buddha-nature. In perfect ease go, stay, sit and lie down [The four activities of going, staying, sitting, and lying are nothing but natural and unexcelled functions]. Seeing, hearing, understanding and knowing are all the natural display of the True Nature [are all the light of original nature, natural manifestations of the True Self]. From first to last, mind is mind [There is no choice between the beginning mind and the ripened mind], beyond any arguments about knowledge and ignorance. Just do zazen with all of who and what you are. Never stray from it or lose it.

Last edited by Jundo; 08-07-2015 at 06:23 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

See you all there!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Daughters soccer gala is tomorrow,but I'll be watching the recording as I've actually been reading on this lately. GasshoGe off.SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Thank you Jundo. I'll be there live.

I'll see you guys tonight

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I will be here.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Joyo
    I'd love to sit this one live, but I can't commit to tonight. I'll sit with the recording for sure, especially Jundo's talk.

Gassho,
    joyo
    sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I'll have join in a bit late. Just heading home after a long outing.
    Deep bows Sangha

No invite today. Will sit one way.
    Gassho.

Late sorry. "Hangout full" sitting one way..

Thank you all. Lovely to practice together.

Nine bows,
    Sekishi

Thank you all who sat and will sit.

And thank you Jundo for the talk. I need to listen to it again.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joyo
    Thank you everyone, Shugen for chanting, Jundo for your talk

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Shugen, and all who sat ... always a pleasure. =) Have a great weekend.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Thanks Jundo, Shugen, & everyone!

It was certainly 'one of those days' today! I went to login initially, and was informed that my browser was no longer supported, so had to crank up a new browser and nearly missed the start!

Then of course we had the multiverse polyphonic feedback version of the opening ceremony, which was a little surreal...!

Then, during the talk, I got bumped out of the room and, on trying to get back in, was told it was full!

So I then went one-way, to see that someone else got bumped (leaving a spot!)! So I snuck back on in...!

So, in the end, all was well and as it should be... All part of the adventure...!

Have a great week everyone; see you all again soon!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Thank you all who sat and will sit.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    明道 修眼
    As a priest in training, please assume I don't really know what I'm talking about....
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Shakyamuni Buddha (center), Dogen Zenji (right), Keizan Zenji (left)

About the rivalry of Sojiji (Keizan's Temple) and Eiheiji (Dogen's Temple) ... not particularly during the lifetime of Keizan by the way, but after his time ...

Sōjiji‟s status as a rival to Eiheiji was not a new development.
    Sōjiji led the largest network of affiliated temples in the Sōtō
    school. In the sixteenth century Sōjiji repeatedly had proclaimed
    itself the head temple of all Sōtō institutions.In 1560 Takeda
    Shingen (1521-1573) stipulated that only Eiheiji and Sōjiji were
    authorized to confer ecclesiastical honors on Zen monks in his
    domains.In 1589 the imperial court officially recognized Sojiji as
    the head temple of the Sōtō school, a title that the court previously
    had bestowed on Eiheiji.The Tokugawa shogunate also acknowledged
    both Eiheiji and Sōjiji as head temples when in 1615
    it issued separate sets of regulatory codes (hatto) to each
    monastery.Throughout this period Sōjiji and Eiheiji were rivals in
    the true sense of the word. In each of the major Sōtō controversies
    of the Tokugawa period—on questions ranging from dharma
    succession to the proper manner of wearing the Buddhist robe—
    Eiheiji and Sōjiji staked out opposing positions on the issues.
    With the emergence of the new Meiji government,
    however, Eiheiji and Sojiji concluded a formal truce. Their
    compact, signed in 1872, stated that past differences and disputes
    were to be resolved in accordance with “the maxims of the
    founding patriarch, Dōgen, and the aspirations of the late teacher,
    Keizan” (shuso Dōgen no kakun to senshi Keizan no sokai). Six
    years later, in 1878, the Sōtō school published the first modern
    biography of Keizan. Written by Takiya Takushu (1836-1897),
    who was at that time Sōjiji‟s chief Tokyo representative, the new
    biography had the clear intention of glorifying Keizan by
    emphasizing his and Sōjiji‟s importance in early Sōtō history.

From Soto Zen in Medieval Japan CHAPTER 8
    by historian W i l l i a m B o d i f o r d
    Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-08-2015 at 03:43 AM.

I was only able to join in and watch live one way for the talk. I will follow through with the rest tomorrow morning.

Thank you all for your practice. Jundo, a wonderful teaching, thank you.

Also, thank you Mr. K for your question! You articulate yourself very well in English.

Gassho,

Brooks sat today.
    "The victorious ones have said that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. For whomever emptiness is a view, that one has achieved nothing." - Nagarjuna

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Very interesting Dharma talk!

I feel that my way of sitting is too much hard.

I am sharing this Article.

http://antaiji.org/dharma/okumura-mi...zazen/?lang=en

Thank you all very much.
    Full circle, and no corners
    Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Thanks to all for sharing your practice. And thank you for the teachings Jundo.

until next time,

Gassho
    Randy
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    Very interesting Dharma talk!

I feel that my way of sitting is too much hard.

I am sharing this Article.

http://antaiji.org/dharma/okumura-mi...zazen/?lang=en
    Shohaku Okumura's description of Zazen appears just about as we encourage here, and I see very little difference. Perhaps only the length he mentions is a concern ...

In our zendo we sit two 50-minute periods in the early morning, with ten minutes of walking meditation between periods. We usually sit from 5AM to 7AM six days a week. But five times a year we have a kind of a intensive retreat called sesshin. During sesshin we sit fourteen of these 50-minute periods a day, from 4 in the morning until 9 in the evening, for five days
    I feel that sometimes we must sit that way, and it is good to sit long and hard. Other times, however, one may sit shorter if beyond measure of time. I just offered a talk on that too ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ckin-Up-Points

My only other comment is I would add one more aspect to the description, which unfortunately does not always get emphasized enough by some Soto Zen Teachers to beginners (although, if you listen carefully to what Okumura Roshi is saying above and in his other writings, he says teaches the same):

One must sit with the attitude [felt in the marrow of the bones] that sitting itself is the Whole and Complete Act, the one thing to do ... the only thing in need of doing ... in that moment in all reality ... no other place to go, no other action in need of doing in such moment. ... Also, one must sit beyond judgments of good and bad, right and wrong (even as one seeks to sit right. Sitting beyond "right vs. wrong" is to sit right).

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...nd-Wrong-Zazen

But folks around Treeleaf hear me say that alot!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-08-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Thank you all. I will be joining soon. Lately, I have had to work later on Fridays...

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

In case anyone would like to duplicate the feedback loop, all you need to do is open the Zazenkai in two windows and mute neither.... Oops!!! That was all me.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Sitting this now.
    Gassho,
    Matt

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    In case anyone would like to duplicate the feedback loop, all you need to do is open the Zazenkai in two windows and mute neither
    You are like our Zazenkai dejay!

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Sat with you all today, thank you.

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you all.
    Gassho,
    Ralf Sat(this Zazenkai with you)today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Jundo thankyou so much for this talk!

It is very interesting to think that Keizan viewed Dogen in a slightly different manner then the competitive way ive been presented with. The brief history of the Temples rivalry really illustrates the point you were making about Keizans true intentions behind his words. Very interesting and ill be doing a lot of reading on it.

I do have questions, but I will try to send you an email about them. In the mean time, what you recommend me read to understand the history of Soto better? Politically and spiritually

Gassho,
    Geoff.

SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

I have decided not to participate in Jukai this year, my wife and I continue to debate weather or not I am serious enough about my Zen commitment. So I will ptactce and study,aan

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

It's ok elgwyn. Just keep practicing. Find your true self.

SAT today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

August 8th-9th, 2015 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Hi Elgwyn,

Before Jukai there is me. AfterJukai there is me. Nothing is different.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hi Elgwyn,

Just do your best to be good, avoid harm. Live gently. That is Jukai too.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Finally was able to listen to this tonight. Thank you for the wonderful talk Jundo, and to everyone for sitting
    Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

Wonderful, thank you dear Sangha!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today