Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SATURDAY with Rev. TAIGEN DAN LEIGHTON

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SATURDAY with Rev. TAIGEN DAN LEIGHTON

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Soto Priest, Zen historian, translator and author Rev. Taigen Dan Leighton will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SATURDAY JULY 25th, LIVE from Chicago and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Taigen ...

Taigen Dan Leighton is a Soto Zen priest and Dharma successor in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi. Taigen first studied Buddhist art and culture in Japan in 1970, and began formal everyday zazen and Soto practice in 1975 at the New York Zen Center with Kando Nakajima Roshi. This led to his returning to graduate in East Asian Studies and study Japanese language at Columbia College. Through the 70s Taigen was also an award-winning documentary film editor in New York and San Francisco, including work for NBC News and Bill Moyers Journal. While editing TV news, it was necessary for Taigen to learn about the one who is not busy. Taigen left his filmmaking career in 1979 to work full time for the San Francisco Zen Center at the Tassajara Bakery, and he was ordained in 1986 by Reb Anderson Roshi.

Taigen practiced and resided for years at San Francisco Zen Center, Tassajara monastery, and Green Gulch Farm Zen Center. He also practiced for two years in Kyoto, Japan, 1990-92, translating Dogen with Rev. Shohaku Okumura, and practicing with several Japanese Soto Zen teachers, including one monastic practice period. Taigen founded the Mountain Source Sangha meditation groups in Bolinas in 1994, then added branches in San Rafael and San Francisco. He received Dharma Transmission in 2000 from Reb Anderson.

Taigen is author of Zen Questions: Zazen, Dogen, and the Spirit of Creative Inquiry, Faces of Compassion: Classic Bodhisattva Archetypes and Their Modern Expression, and Visions of Awakening Space and Time: Dogen and the Lotus Sutra. He is co-translator and editor of several Zen texts including: Dogen's Extensive Record; Cultivating the Empty Field: The Silent Illumination of Zen Master Hongzhi; The Wholehearted Way: A Translation of Dogen's "Bendowa" with Commentary; and Dogen's Pure Standards for the Zen Community: A Translation of "Eihei Shingi". He has also contributed articles to many other books and journals.

Taigen has long been active in various Engaged Buddhist programs for social justice, including work against the Death Penalty and sustained Peace and Environmental activism.

At the beginning of 2007 Taigen relocated to Chicago, and now is Guiding Dharma Teacher for Ancient Dragon Zen Gate.

http://www.ancientdragon.org/

The festivities will begin at 11:00 AM CHICAGO TIME SATURDAY (that is NOON in New York, US West Coast 9:00AM, London 5:00pm and Paris 6:00pm, all SATURDAY JULY, 25th).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Taigen for 45 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I would like to fill our hangout and show Taigen a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo). It will be worth your time.

I will post immediately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome Taigen! I believe this is his first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, so I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - It would be polite for those participating to offer a little donation to Taigen's Sangha, Ancient Dragon Zen Gate, in gratitude to the Teacher. Below is a link for donations, and I am going to ask all our Treeleaf members who benefit from Taigen's visit (not only the folks joining live, but those who will sit later or just listen to his words), to offer a donation for their upkeep there ...

... and/or to purchase one of his books (always encouraged anyway, as all his titles and recorded talks are found on our Treeleaf Recommended Media & Book List) ...

As well, here is the link to Ancient Dragon Zen Gate, where there is also a link and more information: http://www.ancientdragon.org/

Last edited by Jundo; 07-26-2015 at 03:01 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com) or PM me (Jundo).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout which will be on the Treeleaf Google Plus (LINK). If there is additional demand, a few people will be on STANDBY for that group.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT(s), AND TRY TO SEND OUT INVITATIONS ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure Taigen has gotten there.

The people for this group are (as of now):

1- Daizan
    2- Shingen
    3- Anshu Bryson
    4- Kyonin
    5- Sergey Tsarenko
    6- Sekishi
    7- Calm Heart Randy
    8- Joyo Treena
    9- Shoka
    10-Jundo

Waiting: Daiyo Walter

Folks not in the 2-way hangout can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen to be posted in this Forum and at our Google+ page.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Taigen from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to Taigen, and I will try to read her as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-24-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Yugen
    Hi Jundo,
    This is a wonderful opportunity and my gratitude to you and Taigen Dan Leighton. Saturday I will be at work and unable to attend live. I will certainly sit the recorded version.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

I will also be working at this time, though I look forward to the recorded sit -- and a new book

Gassho,

Jesse | SatToday

Hi Jundo. I have been looking forward to this.

Gassho
    Daizan
    sat today

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... very excited! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Dear Jundo,

Please count me in

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Oh, and does this replace the regular zazenkai, or is it in addition to...?

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

In addition to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    In addition to.

Hi Jundo,

Thank you for this! Please count me in if there's enough room. If not, I'll watch one way and participate via email.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Jundo,

Itll be 2am Sunday here, but ill try to be there "one way" with an interesting question.

Gassho,
    Geoff.
    SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Quote Originally Posted by Getchi View Post
    Hi Jundo,

Itll be 2am Sunday here, but ill try to be there "one way" with an interesting question.

Gassho,
    Geoff.
    SatToday.
    I know. It will be 1am here in Japan.

Wake me gently if I doze.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Hello Jundo,

I would like to participate "2way" provided there'll be space...

Thank you,
    Gassho,
    Sergey
    sat-today

Oh I was looking for more books for my library! Perfect timing. I will not be there live but I will be "there"

Gassho
    James
    SatToday

Hello,

Gratefully participating "one way".

(Bought a book, sent donation.)

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 07-22-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Hi Jundo,
    This is a wonderful opportunity and my gratitude to you and Taigen Dan Leighton. Saturday I will be at work and unable to attend live. I will certainly sit the recorded version.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day
    The same for me.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi Jundo and Sangha!

I'm currently working in a project in Rio de Janeiro.

I can't be sure if I will be able to attend, but would surely like to.
    I can't commit, but if I can manage to attend, I'll be there (live if possible, otherwise will be happy too if one way)

I will know only on Saturday morning.

Gassho,
    Daiyo

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

I can participate if a spot is available.

Gassho

randy
    sattoday

Joyo
    I sent you an e-mail Jundo, if there is a spot left I will gladly join live on google.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Verrrry cool. I'll be there, but not in the hangout. Thanks, Jundo.
    _/\_ Shinzan
    sattoday

Joy. That's 8am Saturday morning for me. I will be there live one-way. Thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

p.s. Oh, I just realized, we will have regular zazenkai on Friday, Taigen-kai on Saturday, and Yugen-kai on Sunday. How lucky we are. It's almost a retreat. Certainly a treat!
    Last edited by Byokan; 07-23-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Hi,

I am about to post the list of attendees. Last chance if anyone wants to be added. If so, email me at jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com (if you have not already emailed, PMd or posted in this thread).

Gassho, J

If there is a spot I would like to attend live. Otherwise I will join one-way.

Gassho,
    Shoka

Dear All,

I have now posted Hangout seat assignments. The following folks are in the "2-Way" Hangout for this event:

1- Daizan
    2- Shingen
    3- Anshu Bryson
    4- Kyonin
    5- Sergey Tsarenko
    6- Sekishi
    7- Calm Heart Randy
    8- Joyo Treena
    9- Shoka
    10-Jundo

Waiting (but away on travel): Daiyo Walter

The Hangout will be joinable and visible (for "one way") here:

https://plus.google.com/b/1169304486...k3faugln4c2pto

I plan to have the hangout open about 15 minutes before the posted start time. Remember the schedule:

The festivities will begin at 11:00 AM CHICAGO TIME SATURDAY (that is NOON in New York, US West Coast 9:00AM, London 5:00pm and Paris 6:00pm, all SATURDAY JULY, 25th). ... Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Taigen for 45 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
    Gassho, J

SatToday

Nindo
    I'll be there live one-way.
    Gassho
    Nindo

I have a family gathering to attend but will sit with you afterwards. Looking forward to it.

Gassho
    Roland
    #SatToday

I will be volunteering at the Vanderbilt Garden during that time, but will most certainly watch the recorded version afterwards. It will be an honor to receive the teachings from this esteemed master. Thank you Jundo for providing such wonderful opportunities for us and a big thank you for Rev. Taigen for volunteering his time and wisdom.

Gassho, Dillon

# Sat Today

Oh.
    Just back on time, it seems.
    The car battery wanted to be reanimated, my neighbours' Degus have been fed (the asthmatic one receiving 4 kinds of meds, I think we both are happy we've survived).
    And now I am one Zazenkai behind, one straight ahead, and the next one tomorrow??

Home, sweet Home!
    One way.
    Or the other.

Deep bows,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Mp
    Hello folks,

If anyone if anyone is looking for the link to the talk with Taigen, here it is https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/s...ser=0&hl=en-GB.

Gassho
    Shingen

#just about to sit

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I can see the video, but no hangout to join. Has it started yet?
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi all,

Here is the link for watching one way in case you couldn't find it:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c...k3faugln4c2pto

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks so much, Taigen, for your visit and words. Important to me were your comments about "coming down from the mountain," engaging with the world's sufferings. Environmental issues are a huge area where Kannon's capacity to mourn and hold suffering is a key way that our practice can help in the world. Clearly more attention is needed on how vested interests are trying to co-opt and distract with doubt and spiritual materialism.

With a deep bow.
    Shinzan

Mp
    What a wonderful talk, many thanks to Jundo for making this possible and to Taigen for taking the time and sharing these wonderful stories with us all. =)

Deep bows
    Shingen

#sattoday

Lovely. Wonderful. Thank you Taigen, Jundo, and Treeleaf.

Deep bows
    Daizan

sat today

Joyo
    Thank you Jundo, Taigen, everyone. I learned much, now have to go and sit with it and practice.

I am sorry if my dog was a distraction. He is a puppy that did not get his morning walk, very bored and made sure I was aware of it.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thank you very much everybody.

Sitting again with you and listening to Taigen sensei gave new strengths to my practice which was somehow weakening.

Gassho,
    Daiyo

#SatToday -with you-
    Gassho,Walter

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Wonderful to be a part of this meeting. Thank you Taigen for your presence and wisdom, Jundo for making this possible, and for all who came together!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thanks so much to Taigen for his inspirational talk. I look forward to reading the Dongshan book in some depth. Thanks again to Jundo for continuing to bring us this great diversity of teachings.

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Wonderful! Thank you Taigen for visiting and thank you Jundo for making it possible. Thank you dear Sangha!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Joyo, your dog is beatiful, and to me it was very funny and lovely to see him show up.

Gassho,
    Daiyo

#SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Thank you Jundo, Taigen, everyone. I learned much, now have to go and sit with it and practice.

I am sorry if my dog was a distraction. He is a puppy that did not get his morning walk, very bored and made sure I was aware of it.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    Gassho,Walter

Nindo
    Thank you Taigen and all, and thanks Jundo for reading my question. Zen Questions was a very insightful book for me, so this new one is on my list for sure. I've also started reading the Ehei Koroku, but that's more of a decade-long project ...

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiyo View Post
    Joyo, your dog is beatiful, and to me it was very funny and lovely to see him show up.

Gassho,
    Daiyo

#SatToday
    I agree!

Joyo
    Thank you Nindo and Daiyo. I was worried he was making a scene. He is very lovely to me too, my sweet bodhisattva

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Jundo,

Thank you very much for bringing Taigen-sama to Treeleaf. It was an honor to have him with us today.

I really need to watch the video of this zazenkai at least a couple more times because I think I missed some important parts due to my slow computer

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Taigen, Jundo and Sangha.
    Thanks to the people asking wonderful questions.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Thank you to Taigen for the wonderful talk. Thank you to Jundo and everyone. Always wonderful to sit together.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Sattoday

"Its a subtle, but dynamic concept." That right there wraps up most of Zen teachings. Thank you so much for this I just got to sit with you all now. I was going back an forth between which of Rev. Taigen Dan Leighton's books to order and this talk convinced me that "Just This Is It" is the right one. Deep bows to everyone who brought this together. It was wonderful

Gassho
    James
    SatToday

Thanks all for the teachings. I enjoyed the talk, questions, practice and the dog!

Gassho
    Randy
    sattoday with you

Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast