Thread: SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Why Zen Folks FAIL!! (1) - A New Video & Podcast Series

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Why Zen Folks FAIL!! (1) - A New Video & Podcast Series

Zen folks fail because we're IGNORANT, DELUDED sentient beings, of course! But more specifically, because of several common mistakes and misguided assumptions among many Zen students new and old (and by so-called Zen Teachers too).

This is the first of a NEW VIDEO/AUDIO PODCAST SERIES and, over the coming weeks, I will look at many of the reasons that Zen students, Teachers, Zen groups and Buddhism in general are EPICALLY FAILING in the West (and why they are also doing quite well in so many ways, thank you!) My observations come from my 35 years of this Practice, watching countless students come and (mostly) go from the many Zen groups I have visited and come to know in Japan, America and Europe. Even many of those who stay seem frequently to have some strange ideas and bad habits.

I will pull no punches in this series of talks. I may step on a few toes. We Zen folks may be our own worst enemies.

Today, we will look at how many students over the years have had terribly idealized images and expectations about Zen, Zen "Masters", "Enlightenment", their life after even years of Practice, about Buddhism ... even about Buddhas! They have OVERSOLD themselves about Zen. Maybe it was oversold to them.

But also, many folks (often in reaction when the picture turns out to be more complex), head in the opposite direction, becoming overly skeptical and critical of Zen, Zen Teachers, Communities and all the rest. These folks are making an equally serious error, and have their heads up their Zafus! They have UNDERSOLD the promise of this Way.

What all such folks miss is the real Treasure, the Liberation, the Promise which jumps right beyond and right through both "OVER" and "UNDER" ... as this sometimes beautiful, sometimes so ugly world of Samsara proves to be the Pure Land all along. The hype and all the hoopla turn out to be true! Maybe students do not believe in Zen enough! This Path delivers all that was promised, just what the doctor ordered, but not always how, what and where folks might expect.

We might sometimes fail, yet there is no way to fail and no place to fall.

THE DOWNLOADABLE AUDIO PODCAST VERSION IS HERE:

http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/may-20...ks-fail-part-i

(By the way, a shoutout to David Chadwick, long time Practitioner and author of the best, funniest book on Westerners practicing in Japan, THANK YOU AND OK, AN AMERICAN ZEN FAILURE IN JAPAN, who invented the logo above for some t-shirts and such here)
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-19-2023 at 05:57 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE