Thread: People Choose Electric Shocks Over Sitting Quietly for 15 Minutes

People Choose Electric Shocks Over Sitting Quietly for 15 Minutes

Oh, how the little self resists being robbed of distractions ... If folks feel this way about being alone with their thoughts for a few minutes, how about staring at a wall?

A scientific study I heard about ...

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/345/6192/75

-------------------

People, and especially men, hate being alone with their thoughts so much that they'd rather be in pain. In a study published in Science Thursday on the ability of people to let their minds “wander” — that is, for them to sit and do nothing but think — researchers found that about a quarter of women and two-thirds of men chose electric shocks over their own company.

“We went into this thinking that mind wandering wouldn’t be that hard,” said Timothy Wilson, University of Virginia professor of psychology and lead author of the study. “People usually think of mind wandering as being a bad thing, because it interrupts when you’re trying to pay attention. But we wanted to see what happens when mind wandering is the goal.”

Wilson didn’t think his subjects would struggle with the task. “We have this big brain full of pleasant memories, and we’re able to tell ourselves stories and make up fantasies. But despite that, we kept finding that people didn’t like it much and found it hard.”

The researchers tried everything they could think of to make the task of being task-less easier. “We tried to give them time to prepare,” he said, “so they could think about what they were going to spend their time thinking about.”

But even going into the exercise with a plan — an upcoming vacation to plot, for example, or a particularly dreamy celebrity to daydream about — didn’t seem to help participants enjoy their time alone. Those who completed the study at home often admitted to cheating by picking up their phones or a book, and many reported that the six to 15 minutes spent thinking had been unpleasant.

When it became clear that people were desperate for distractions, the researchers decided to give them one. “It dawned on us: If people find this so difficult,” Wilson said, “would they prefer negative stimulations to boredom?” He gave them access to a device that would provide a small electrical shock by pressing a button. It wasn't a very strong shock, as the device was built around a 9 volt battery. “But we weren’t even sure it was worth doing,” he said. “I mean, no one was going to shock themselves by choice.”

But they did.

More here ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...heir-thoughts/
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-28-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jundo,

This actually is pretty helpful because I can understand a lot of things now. I used to think Mexican males refused to meditate... but it might be a male thing.

No wonder why I only have ladies in my local sitting group.

I'll keep reading. Thanks, Jundo!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    ...This actually is pretty helpful because I can understand a lot of things now. I used to think Mexican males refused to meditate... but it might be a male thing.

No wonder why I only have ladies in my local sitting group.
    Hi Kyonin,

maybe you could get a 9-volt battery and offer electric shocks to attract more men to the group.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Mp
    Wow ... very interesting, thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday #without battery shocking technic

It is kind of funny picturing them shocking themselves, lol!

..sat2day•

Would love to see this study on a larger group of people and read more about the setting.

I am not free of, what the people in this study experienced.
    I have the same tendency in profane life.
    Coming home, willing to relax from the turbulences of the day, doing what at first?
    Turning on the TV or some music to shoo away the silence and with this my own thoughts.

So, after the initial laugh on them, I've had a big one about myself.

Personally, I see the interpretation of the found behaviors in more, different ways, but I know less facts, than the scientists.

People got introduced to the shocking device, having to take one shock, as it was said to "remove the curiosity factor".
    They learned, that there is no big pain issue.
    This might attract the attention to the shocking device, inducing the thought, that this session has to do with this device and doing it "right" might have to do something with the device.
    Maybe they just wanted to learn, if it does anything to their thinking? (curiosity?)
    Maybe people just want to be useful, or just want to "do it right". (anticipatory obedience? Something like an indirect Milgram experiment?)
    Maybe they just want to be like all the others in the herd and think that has to do with that device (herd instinct?).
    Maybe the males are not less willing to "loose control", but culturally more willing to accept a piece of tech as help?

And I really would like to talk to the guy, shocking himself not around 7 times like most others, but 190 times in that few minutes.

Gassho,
    Ralf sattoday.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-29-2015 at 08:49 AM.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Hi Kyonin,

maybe you could get a 9-volt battery and offer electric shocks to attract more men to the group.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    HAHAHAH And maybe some nachos

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    What? Nachos? I am in! I do not require electric shock though, lol

..sat2day•

Hello,

Constant stimulation may be a condition of addiction.

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I see people every day who have trouble being alone. Some turn on the TV just for company. Some pick at their skin or chew their nails. Being alone with their thoughts is not pleasant. It's not funny.

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat today

I hope I did not come off as being callous in any way. That was not my intention.

..sat2day•

Very interesting--thanks Jundo.

Gassho,
    Meredith

SatToday (no shock necessary)

My wife would fit into that category of those who would rather shock themselves.

Gassho,
    Hotetsu

#SatToday
    Forever is so very temporary...

Neither can my wife. She has tried to meditate a couple times. I think she sees the value in it because of what it has done for me. She can only last a couple minutes. But, I remember what a miracle it was the first time I lasted that long. I love this quote by Saadi:

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."

..sat2day•

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I love this quote by Saadi:

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."

..sat2day•

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    I'm there! hahahah

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

This is important. Sometimes I am tempted to do Zazen to escape boredom (or resistance to) life, which totally defeats the point. And sometimes Zazen is boring (which maybe is the point??) But, of course, sitting is supposed to be "pointless..."

Gassho,
    Sierra
    SatToday

I am not really surprised by this study. We are so conditioned to distract ourselves with the media, tv, working long hours, etc. Distractions are easier to deal with since they mask what's underneath us. Sitting in silence and being bored opens up the things within us that we are afraid to see.

It's a symptom of insufficient physical exercise IMO

I know of professions in which the percentage choosing shocks would be zero

Sat 2-day

m

People Choose Electric Shocks Over Sitting Quietly for 15 Minutes

Hi,

A bird flies and a fish swims. Lightnings shock. Mountains sit. Some people are lightning and others mountains. No choice involved. It just is.

Gassho, Jishin

#SatToday

Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekai View Post
    I am not really surprised by this study. We are so conditioned to distract ourselves with the media, tv, working long hours, etc.
    I agree. I doubt the psychologists who conducted these experiments, or the reporters who reported on them, were surprised either, despite the "people prefer pain..." shock horror reports. Psychologists play games, journalists play games - just like the rest of us.

Gassho
    Jeremy
    SatToday
    Last edited by Jeremy; 06-29-2015 at 03:33 PM.