Thread: A ReMINDer from Jundo on Zazen ... "In the Zoneless Zone"

A ReMINDer from Jundo on Zazen ... "In the Zoneless Zone"

Hi,

This came up on another thread, and just is one more opportunity to emphasize this about Zazen ... when someone feels that "good Zazen" is feeling peaceful, feeling balanced, feeling good, feeling "in the Zone" ... while "wrong Zazen" is not feeling so. Think (or better "non-think") again! It is but is not, right beyond and right through "is" or "is not", "right" and "wrong" and all points between.

Shikantaza Zazen is a (Big J) "Joy" and (Big S) "Stability" in life that surpasses any momentary feeling of enjoyment and stability. It is a "Joy" that holds all human joy and sadness, excitement and boredom, sickness and health, etc. etc. Shikantaza is a Peace and Wholeness that envelops all life's broken pieces. So, this sitting is far beyond merely sitting to feel a certain way. Shikantaza reaches to the existential root of human dissatisfaction and suffering in life, and not simply some passing pleasures or calm or peace or being "in the zone" etc. (a couple of valium or a needle of opiates will do a much better job at delivering momentary peace and pleasure if that is what one seeks).

Thus, in Shikantaza one allows all the thoughts and emotions to drift by without getting caught ... happy thoughts and sad thoughts, silent thoughts or noisy thoughts, positive thoughts and negative thoughts ... not a prisoner of any of that, finding the Light which shines through and illuminates each and all, the Still Axis at the heart of the swirling hurricane.

Sometimes say stuff like this ...

It is a a kind of Positive (Big "P") that holds, dances and flowers as all the small human moments of positive and negative, smiles and tears, safety and distress. One need not even feel happy all the time, and there is a certain "Positive" as one sits broken hearted next to the casket of someone loved. It is a Peace that holds peace and war, all the round and sharp pieces of life. No need to feel merely "peaceful" all the time. My Teacher, Nishijima, and countless other Buddhist teachers, say that Buddhism is a positive, even "optimistic" philosophy (despite all the talk of "suffering", the real focus is not that ... but "Liberation"). When we drop thoughts and selfish judgments and appraisals, what remains is ... not an empty nihilistic nothing, not directionless chaos, not greyness, not darkness ... but peace, freedom and fertile possibility! Not an empty hole ... there is Wholeness. Even a Wholly Holy Wholeness.

An old Zen saying ... "Every day is a good day" ... 日々是好日 ...

There is something about this reality that is Positive, not negative, not positive (small "p"), going in the direction all needs to go, so Beautiful ... even though ugly sometimes. It is a Beauty encountered when we drop all small human judgments and demands of "beautiful" (small 'b') and ugly. Thus, we sit in the Wholeness of Shikantaza.

So hard for us to realize that this is Buddha, that is Buddha, quiet is Buddha, noise is Buddha, coming is Buddha, going is Buddha, thoughts are Buddha, absence of thoughts are Buddha, peace is Buddha, anger is Buddha, stillness is Buddha, movement is Buddha, alive is Buddha, dead is Buddha. Buddha is not simply silence and stillness. We simply sit because, in the day to day clutter and confusion of our minds, a space for a bit of silence and stillness may help us better realize such fact when we drop all the cutter and confusion for a time. But the point is not that the silence and stillness of sitting is "where its at", because our way is to "non-find" (because always present in the bones even though rarely seen) a Silence and Stillness (Big "S") that --is-- and always has been the clutter and silence and peace and chaos and confusion and stillness. Both peace and anger are Buddha, but anger blinds us to such fact because so divisive! As well, peace can hide Buddha too if we think that is the only place Buddha is to be found.

The eye and everything the eye sees is Eye all along. True Peace is peace and tumult and all the round and sharp pieces of life.

The True Piece of Shikantaza is a Peace so Peaceful, a Beauty so Beautiful, that it sweeps in and out the peaceful moments and the sharp pieces of life, the beautiful and ugly to the human eye. The Silence is so Silent, that it hold the chirps of the birds, breeze in the branches, cannons and bulldozers.
    Clear?

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-30-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

"Clear?

Gassho, Jundo"

. . . in an opaque, sort of . . . way . . . don't know.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Sat today

Gassho
    Daizan

Thank you, Jundo.

Maybe the reason we think Buddha is in silence and stillness alone is b/c we're running in circles most of the time? We run from worry to worry, from good to bad, from obsession to obsession, sometimes not even realizing as much, trying to not look at our lives very closely or with any awareness, and so the quiet and still break in Shikantaza from our everyday life circles, that quiet and stillness feels like a hugely different thing, a hugely different experience of being alive, and so we turn it into the "true thing," the big answer, the nirvana to samsara. But such quiet and stillness can become just another circle, another thing to chase. Something like this?

Thank you again.

Gassho,
    Alan
    sattoday
    Shōmon

Quote Originally Posted by alan.r View Post
    Thank you, Jundo.

Maybe the reason we think Buddha is in silence and stillness alone is b/c we're running in circles most of the time? We run from worry to worry, from good to bad, from obsession to obsession, sometimes not even realizing as much, trying to not look at our lives very closely or with any awareness, and so the quiet and still break in Shikantaza from our everyday life circles, that quiet and stillness feels like a hugely different thing, a hugely different experience of being alive, and so we turn it into the "true thing," the big answer, the nirvana to samsara. But such quiet and stillness can become just another circle, another thing to chase. Something like this?

Thank you again.

Gassho,
    Alan
    sattoday
    Yes, Alan, I feel so.

At first, ignorant Sentient beings are lost in noise, runaway thoughts and emotions, desires, separation.

Then, by this Practice, one sometimes encounters a certain Silence, Clarity, Peace, Wisdom, Resolution, Wholeness. One tastes such on the Cushion, one feels At Home.

... But it would be a great error to wish to remain so (assuming that remaining so exclusively is truly an option while alive as flesh and blood).

The True Power of this Way comes from learning how the two were never apart, that Emptiness is precisely Form, hearing the Silence in the greatest noise, Peace and Wisdom and Clarity shining right thru and Illuminating our ordinary thoughts and emotions (now held in balance and moderation), Resolution at the heart of human desires (also now balanced and moderated), Wholeness and separation not two.

Then the noise, thoughts and emotions, desires, separation are not as before, but are perfumed with Peace, Wisdom, Clarity and all the rest.

Mumonkan, Koan 19: Ordinary Mind Is The Way

Joshu asked Nansen, "What is the Way?"
    "Ordinary mind is the Way," Nansen replied.
    "Shall I try to seek after it?" Joshu asked.
    "If you try for it, you will become separated from it," responded Nansen.
    How can I know the Way unless I try for it?" persisted Joshu.
    Nansen said, "The Way is not a matter of knowing or not knowing. Knowing is delusion; not knowing is confusion. When you have really reached the true Way beyond doubt, you will find it as vast and boundless as outer space. How can it be talked about on the level of right and wrong?"
    With those words, Joshu came to a sudden realization.

The accompanying poem ...

The spring flowers, the autumn moon;
    Summer breezes, winter snow.
    If useless things do not clutter your mind,
    You have the best days of your life.
    Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    But the point is not that the silence and stillness of sitting is "where its at", because our way is to "non-find" (because always present in the bones even though rarely seen) a Silence and Stillness (Big "S") that --is-- and always has been the clutter and silence and peace and chaos and confusion and stillness.
    Thank you, Jundo. This is very helpful.

Matt
    #SatToday

The True Power of this Way comes from learning how the two were never apart, that Emptiness is precisely Form, hearing the Silence in the greatest noise, Peace and Wisdom and Clarity shining right thru and Illuminating our ordinary thoughts and emotions (now held in balance and moderation), Resolution at the heart of human desires (also now balanced and moderated), Wholeness and separation not two.
    Never separate. Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Alan
    sattoday
    Shōmon

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo. In all honestly, I've been frustrated with my zazen in the last few weeks. It seems like putting my butt on the cushion has programmed my brain to think it is now time to jump around like an out-of-control monkey mind. I have felt down on myself, that perhaps my Buddhist practice is all wrong, that I am doing things wrong. This really helps. In fact, I'm going to save it and read it frequently to really help it all sink in.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

After reading it again, and the comments of another users,
    sorry if maybe there was a misunderstanding, but when I wrote I meant I'd prefer to have moments of Zazen in which I don't feel so much pain in my legs and my mind is more at ease...

Don't know if it's that easy to "like" (I know the right attitude may be nor "like" or "dislike") it more to be that way when I sit, but certainly it facilitates me to appreciate the moment. I still find it a little hard to appreciate when my mind's full of torrents of thoughts coming from nowhere or when my legs are hurting so much or when I can't find a good position.

If body-mind is just one thing, why should I strive to achieve the opposite state? Shouldn't I appreciate moments of stillness where is easier to my mind to focus-unfocusing?

I've heard and read that Buddha was illuminated under a tree, having not engaged on the "illusions" that "Mara" showed him. Maybe, I don't know, if his legs were hurting that much or if He had an argue with his girlfriend, or were shouted by his boss, maybe I don't know if he would be in balance to achieve it...

Maybe to maintain this encompassing mind is the work on "mastering" Shikantaza...

Even in the teachings here, I see the focus is to achieve a calmer mind, a more stable and still posture...

I'm understanding Zazen-mind should encompass good and not so good moments, stable and off-balance, all in one thing, but how we can appreciate more the bad ones instead of (those we feel as) the good ones?

Please note that I'm not saying I do "reject" bad times and "accept" only good ones, usually I sit with good or not so good, but I feel more relaxed and more propense to have a "enjoyable" Zazen - a more relaxed, more still, etc. when I feel that way. Am I wrong?

I'm just trying to understand it a little more.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post

Don't know if it's that easy to "like" (I know the right attitude may be nor "like" or "dislike") it more to be that way when I sit, but certainly it facilitates me to appreciate the moment. I still find it a little hard to appreciate when my mind's full of torrents of thoughts coming from nowhere or when my legs are hurting so much or when I can't find a good position.

If body-mind is just one thing, why should I strive to achieve the opposite state? Shouldn't I appreciate moments of stillness where is easier to my mind to focus-unfocusing?

I've heard and read that Buddha was illuminated under a tree, having not engaged on the "illusions" that "Mara" showed him. Maybe, I don't know, if his legs were hurting that much or if He had an argue with his girlfriend, or were shouted by his boss, maybe I don't know if he would be in balance to achieve it...

Maybe to maintain this encompassing mind is the work on "mastering" Shikantaza...

Even in the teachings here, I see the focus is to achieve a calmer mind, a more stable and still posture...

I'm understanding Zazen-mind should encompass good and not so good moments, stable and off-balance, all in one thing, but how we can appreciate more the bad ones instead of (those we feel as) the good ones?

Please note that I'm not saying I do "reject" bad times and "accept" only good ones, usually I sit with good or not so good, but I feel more relaxed and more propense to have a "enjoyable" Zazen - a more relaxed, more still, etc. when I feel that way. Am I wrong?

I'm just trying to understand it a little more.
    Hi Marcos,

Mara is the hurting legs, the fight with the loved one, the shouting boss. To be free of these is not simply dependent on being perpetually rid of the physical pain in life, the broken heart, the obligations (that is not even possible in this complex life of flesh and blood), but to transcend and pierce through these trials. Oh, there are sunny days in life, but also rainy days. Sometimes problems are not there ... but when there, also not there.

Yes, the times of "in the groove" are vitally important to Zazen sitting, indispensible. One experiences oneness, wholeness, peace. This is not to be missed, and so important. The hard borders and frictions between our little self and the world soften, sometimes perhaps fully drop away. And yet, as Zen folks say, that is only 80% (not there yet). One must come to learn that the sun is shining, though hidden, even on the darkest days. Perhaps one may come to detect the Light illuminating the clouds all along. If one attends a long Sesshin, the "smooth sailing" days are vital, but the hard and painful days are vital. Life is just so. I dare say that the hard times, the trials, the pains and distractions are more vital to "rubber meets the road" daily Practice in life than the good times! So, both the smooth and the rough road is vital to this way ... for all is the Wide Open Buddha Highway.

This encounter with reality "emptiness is just form, nirvana is samsara" runs all thru Mahayana Buddhism. Today, I was reading the Flower Garland Sutra and there were such passages on transcending life right amid all the complexity of life, not two. It runs all through Zen Teachings, dropping away all categories right amid and as all categores. One sits, and is sat by, Shikantaza free of all categories amid and as all categories.

By superknowledge of phenomena, bodhisattvas know all phenomena are nameless, without essence, neither come nor go, are neither different nor not different, neither various nor not various, neither dual nor nondual, have no identity, have no compare, are not born, do not perish, do not shift, do not disintegrate, have no reality, have no falsehood, are of one form which is formless, are not nonexistent, are not existent, are not phenomenal, are not nonphenomenal, are not in conformity with conventions, are not not in conformity with conventions, are not actions, are not not actions, are not consequences, are not not consequences, are not compounded, are not uncompounded, are not absolute, are not nonabsolute, are not the path of enlightenment, are not not the path of enlightenment, are not emancipation, are not not emancipation, are not a certain measure, are not measureless, are not mundane, are not not mundane, are not born from cause, are not not born from causes, are not definite, are not indefinite, are not complete, are not incomplete, are not emerging, are not not emerging, are not distinguished, are not indistinguishable, are not logical, are not illogical.

These great bodhisattvas do not grasp conventional truth, do not dwell in absolute truth, do not discriminate phenomena, do not set up words; they accord with the essence of extinction, yet [nonetheless] they do not give up their undertakings. ... Though they know the character of reality cannot be verbally expressed, yet by expedient means and endless intellectual power they teach in an orderly fashion according to principles and according to meanings.

though they know there are no forms, yet they explain all forms; though they know there is no sensation, yet they explain all sensations; though they know there is no perception, yet they explain all perceptions; though they know there is no disposition, yet they explain all dispositions; though they know there is no consciousness, yet they explain all consciousnesses; they always reveal everything by means of the wheel of the Teaching. Though they know phenomena have no difference, yet they explain their aspects of differentiation; though they know phenomena have no origin or annihilation, yet they explain all characteristics of origination and annihilation; though they know phenomena have no coarseness or subtlety, yet they explain the coarse and subtle aspects of phenomena; ...
    Zen and all Mahayana Buddhism always see things absolutely from the right eye, relatively from the left eye ... both eyes together the Clarity of Buddha Eye.

Gassho, J

SatToday

PS - Believe me, I am feeling it today as I had a little work problem, enough to cause worry. There but not there.
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-30-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Gassho
    Hotetsu

#SatToday
    Forever is so very temporary...

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Thank you, Jundo. In all honestly, I've been frustrated with my zazen in the last few weeks. It seems like putting my butt on the cushion has programmed my brain to think it is now time to jump around like an out-of-control monkey mind. I have felt down on myself, that perhaps my Buddhist practice is all wrong, that I am doing things wrong. This really helps. In fact, I'm going to save it and read it frequently to really help it all sink in.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    I know the feeling, Joyo. Just writing to say I've been there, too (like about a month ago!). That you're feeling that, I'd say, is a good sign!

Anyway, thank you for this comment about the "dark" days, Jundo. To me, dealing with those days in a way that is "better" (maybe calmer, maybe more accepting, maybe even just less violent or angry), even if just a small bit better than one previously dealt with those days before sitting and practice, that's where we really learn about our practice and ourselves.

Gassho,
    Alan
    sattoday
    Shōmon

Quote Originally Posted by alan.r View Post

Anyway, thank you for this comment about the "dark" days, Jundo. To me, dealing with those days in a way that is "better" (maybe calmer, maybe more accepting, maybe even just less violent or angry), even if just a small bit better than one previously dealt with those days before sitting and practice, that's where we really learn about our practice and ourselves.

Gassho,
    Alan
    sattoday
    So long as we are human, we will have moments when we are fearful, grieving, even angry and all the rest. Science has shown that all such is hard wired into the most primitive parts of our mammalian brains, and the emotional responses begin before we are even aware of their feelings. I, for one, do not believe that any human being ... even the very human buddha ... was ever totally free of such natural human emotions so long as inhabiting a human body and brain, no more than he was free of physical pain when sick and aging (he was not according to old stories of him sometimes taking to his sick bed and calling the doctor). Nor would I wish to be free of these emotions, as I do not want to be a machine, a stone, a wooden man living life robbed of my humanity.

It is my belief that many of the biographies of old, dead buddhas and masters were written to polish and strip their stories of any hint of their humanity, their emotions, much as we carve statues of saints which depict an ideal image robbed of any flaw (this is a process of casting ideal images of saints called "hagiography", but if one reads the writings of folks like Dogen and others, one can sometimes see their humanity peaking through). Perhaps a perfect buddha is a symbol of someone free of every human failing but, so long as we are not perfect buddhas ... merely bodhisattvas getting on with life in this complex world of samsara, in bodies made of meat ... we will act in human ways.

NOW ALL THAT BEING SAID ... when one sees and lives life with two eyes as not two, One Buddha Eye ... a wonderful thing happens. Fear may be present, but also something beyond all worry for life and death. The fear is moderated or fully fades away. One may feel loss at the death of a loved one, yet also such which is beyond all death and loss. One may feel anger arise, yet more quickly put it aside together with all frictions created by the "self-other" divide. One will continue to feel natural human emotions, but is less or no longer their prisoner. Life is balanced, the cloudy become clear.

Such is my view, at least until we are all Perfect Golden Buddhas living in some Perfect Buddha Land where nobody dies of cancer, nobody is hungry or cold, nobody is ever fearful or alone. In the meantime, we must make due with finding Perfect Golden Buddha right in and as this most imperfect world, the Buddha Land right here where we stand in the muck and mud. Perfect yet imperfect, the beautiful Lotus rising from the mire.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-30-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Thank you Jundo. That is so beautiful and true. I'm glad you are you, and you are here. In a you-less., here-less way .

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

A ReMINDer from Jundo on Zazen ... "In the Zoneless Zone"

Thank you Jundo. All this you've told us before, yet explaining it once again is so very valuable. As someone said before in this thread, saving these texts and coming back to them regularly seems like a very good idea.

Gassho
    Roland
    #SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Thank you Jundo. That is so beautiful and true. I'm glad you are you, and you are here. In a you-less., here-less way .

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    Ditto this. Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
    Alan
    sattoday
    Shōmon

Thank you jundo for this teaching and everyone's input, this could not have had better timing for me.

I have been feeling a bit stressed about selling our house and there have been some tensions in our family. As a result I have been sitting on the cushion, with my mind wandering, wishing I were somewhere else rather than dealing with what was in front of me. Too easy to fall into the trap and miss the true essence of zazen.

Gassho,

simon

sat today.

Thank you Jundo. Gassho,

Meredith
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post

I have been feeling a bit stressed about selling our house and there have been some tensions in our family.
    Yes, yes, selling or moving home is among of the most stressful events in modern peoples' lives ... yet what is One's True Home which cannot be Bought or Sold? (A Koan)

Tensions in the family are always stressful ... yet What Tensions and Divisions among the Family of All Buddhas? (Same Koan)

A poem by 17th Century Soto Priest, Gesshu Soko, referencing the lines of the Sandokai ("The Identity of Relative and Absolute") which remind us, "The absolute meets the relative, like two arrow points that touch in mid air. Hearing this, simply perceive what is ..."

Breathing in, breathing out,
    Moving forward, moving back,
    Living, dying, coming, going --
    Like two arrows meeting in flight,
    In the midst of nothingness
    There is a road that goes directly
    to my true home.

And, for all our talk about "formuli" and "slogans" for how to merge the "relative" and "absolute", a reminder from Dogen that all such are just hints and helpers, and must actually by Put Into Practice, in the Buddha Family (from Bendowa) ...

Some, attracted by a natural setting of mountains and water with its plants and flowers, have flowed from there into the Way of Buddhas. Others, whilst gathering up in their hands the soil with its sand and pebbles, have preserved the Buddha seal. How much more are the myriad images which fill the universe surpassed by the far-reaching words of a Buddha—which are all the more rich!—and the turning of the Great Wheel of the Dharma is contained within each single dust mote. This is why a phrase like ‘Your very mind is Buddha Itself ’ is as the moon within water, and why the import of ‘Sitting in meditation is itself becoming Buddha’ is as a reflection in a mirror. Do not get tangled up or taken in by a clever use of words. In order that you may now push on in your training to realize enlightenment in this instant, I show you the marvelous path which the Buddhas and Ancestors have directly Transmitted, and I do this that you may become a genuine follower of the Way.
    So, talking may help clarify and point to a good way, but best to get on with it.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-01-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Nice words, but words are just words. If results/progress doesn't happen these words are not going to help. You have to be cut for this spiritual stuff (not just Zen, but any kind of meditation). For some people (like me), it simply doesn't work. I have spent years with this meditation stuff and my life hasn't changed. I should be a man and leave all this. But am not able to. Afraid to let go of this crutch even though it is good for nothing (not Sawaki's "good for nothing", really good for nothing).

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    Nice words, but words are just words. If results/progress doesn't happen these words are not going to help. You have to be cut for this spiritual stuff (not just Zen, but any kind of meditation). For some people (like me), it simply doesn't work. I have spent years with this meditation stuff and my life hasn't changed. I should be a man and leave all this. But am not able to. Afraid to let go of this crutch even though it is good for nothing (not Sawaki's "good for nothing", really good for nothing).

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat Today
    Hi Sam,

It might be so. Traditional Buddhism explained this by Karma, that some people are not suited (or ready). Chanting to Amida for admission to the Pure Land is one option that was traditionally offered, for things surely will go well in that realm. Other folks, I feel, might do better with Jesus or Thor or, perhaps, nothing at all (maybe just taking up a hobby like collecting stamps would be a better use of one's time).

By I would not quit too quickly either ... for the old Zen stories tell again and again of old Zen folks who wrestled with such matters for years or decades before it all "clicked". I bet you will oneday "click", and it will be in this world without even need to head into some next. In the meantime, you are not hurting anyone, could have worse ways to spend one's time, and (if you really look in the mirror) more might be sinking in that you recognize.

Someday we may have a faster way to go about this, or know exactly what brain buttons to push for instant results. However, in the meantime, there is only the "old school" ways of sitting Zazen and picking up some unfathomable Buddhist writings to point the way.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-01-2015 at 05:57 PM.

If results/progress doesn't happen these words are not going to help.
    Hi Sam,

What could you possibly expect to attain by siting Zazen and doing nothing?

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Jishin,

"Stop" suffering. "Gain" the ability to be at peace with things, however they are.

Gassho, Sam, Sat Today

Jishin,

"Stop" suffering. "Gain" the ability to be at peace with things, however they are.

Gassho, Sam, Sat Today
    Hi Sam,

There is no stoping suffering and no no stoping suffering. There is no gaining the ability to be at peace with things, however they are and no no gaining the ability to be at peace with things, however they are.

There is no attaining with nothing to attain. So why just not sit, chill out, manifest our perfect expression of our Buddha nature and help some sentient beings? We are perfect as we are. We don't become Buddhas by sitting. We sit because we are Buddhas. No where to go man. Just this and you are it.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    So why just not sit, chill out
    Yes, I don't have any other option

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi Sam,

There is no stoping suffering and no no stoping suffering. There is no gaining the ability to be at peace with things, however they are and no no gaining the ability to be at peace with things, however they are.

There is no attaining with nothing to attain. So why just not sit, chill out, manifest our perfect expression of our Buddha nature and help some sentient beings? We are perfect as we are. We don't become Buddhas by sitting. We sit because we are Buddhas. No where to go man. Just this and you are it.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_
    I must apologize to you, Jishin, because I misread your point here the first time. Yes.

I just want to make it clear to folks who may also misunderstand: There is a way to be free of suffering, a way to gain being at peace with things. It is not merely a matter of resignation or chilling out, and it is not a matter of merely saying "we are all Buddha, so what the hell!!.

We sure can be free of suffering and gain peace ... but the counterintuitive aspect is that such can (and best) occur right in the heart of human suffering. One "attains" peace with how things are by giving up the chase after "peace", thereby resting in how things are.

Our Talk today during Zazenkai was on this really ... kind of a serious talk with all that has been in the news this week: I want to call it "A Joyous, Peaceful, Content (even Happy) talk about War, Earthquake, Broken Hearts, Disease and Death". Please have a listen (from the 1:51 minute mark) ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post153419

Gassho, J

SatToday

Joyo
    I've been thinking a lot about what Sam, Jundo and Jishin have said here. It brought some interesting points up. For me, if my main goal was to attain a sense of peace and tranquility, I would stick to my yoga practice only. Yoga always helps me have a sense of calm, both physically and mentally. Zazen is a much different practice.

However, there is a drive within that motivates me to sit (almost) every day. If I miss a day, it's as if a big bowl of nothing is missing, and it feels off. Sam's honest comments made me ask myself, why do I sit? I've had the same thoughts as he, I'm not getting anything here. I'm not accomplishing a damn thing. In fact, I'm bored and my back is sore as I sit with this monkey mind. However, in my accomplishing nothing, I've learned to sit with my anger, my sadness, physical pain, mental pain as well as happiness and joy.....all sorts of things. Oh they are still there, zazen hasn't magically or miraculously taken them away or transformed my joy into a permanent state. But through it all, learning to sit with these things, something is happening, in a nothing sort of way.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    Last edited by Joyo; 05-02-2015 at 03:43 AM.

I find the same Joyo. A day without zazen just doesn't sit right, but at least when I don't sit these days when I am ill, for example, something of zazen is there. A wholeness of nothing that let's things just be...difficult to express but it's like the silence that befalls an empty room and the room becomes.
    Gassho Heisoku
    #Coughingtoday.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Hi guys,

I admit that back in the day as a teenager I began experimenting with guided meditations because I wanted to be different, to hack the mind in order to either become a Jedi or a better student. Neither happened.

Over the years I've learned and verified once and again that the more I seek, the less I find. It doesn't matter if it's answers, enlightenment or peace.

A few years back I just started to sit and to drop everything. I became a witness of the torrent of thoughts, rather then the main character in them. Granted, sometimes it's not easy not to engage, but I just sit to morph into life.

Sometimes my sessions are peaceful and time just goes away. Sometimes I worries come to me. Sometimes the neighbor's baby is too noisy.

But it's all life, all in the same deck of cards.

I now just sit dropping all expectations.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joyo
    Thanks Kyonin and Heisoku, interesting thoughts, lots to learn from what you had to say. Lots to learn and non-learn that is

Dropping all expectations has been my biggest challenge. When I started my spiritual path, I had a certain amount of expectations. Also, my childhood religion was works-driven. So it's felt backwards, almost like learning to write with my right hand (I am left) to practice a path with no expectations.

I have to say, this whole thread has been wonderful to read!! Thanks everyone.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today (with a racing mind, and in the midst of it all, there was the silence that befalls an empty room)

Thanks Kyonin and Heisoku, interesting thoughts, lots to learn from what you had to say. Lots to learn and non-learn that is

Dropping all expectations has been my biggest challenge. When I started my spiritual path, I had a certain amount of expectations. Also, my childhood religion was works-driven. So it's felt backwards, almost like learning to write with my right hand (I am left) to practice a path with no expectations.

I have to say, this whole thread has been wonderful to read!! Thanks everyone.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today (with a racing mind, and in the midst of it all, there was the silence that befalls an empty room)
    I'd have to say dropping expectations has been a big challenge for me too. All my life before seems to have been centered around expectations, wanting more or less. Last night I caught my mind fighting internally with myself as I sat and I could physically feel the tension. But when I remembered to just let go the struggle just went away. It is illuminating for me to realise how many of my problems are self imposed. Thanks for sharing.

Gassho,

Simon

Sat today

This moment is complete as it is.

Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Dropping all expectations has been my biggest challenge.
    And by dropping all expectations and craving to "find something", we thus truly Find the Jewel. "Dropping all expectations" is insufficient if it means merely dropping all hope, all drive, and just giving up. The True "Dropping All Expectations" is the total satisfaction of "nothing more in need to find".

Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This moment is complete as it is.
    Yet most people do not realize how Complete this moment truly is, and thus are trapped in lack and incompleteness (and all the greed, anger and ignorance that goes with it). Saying "life is complete as it is" is not so if by that one means that "greed, anger and ignorance" are fine as they are. Only by dropping and seeing through the greed, anger and ignorance does one first really realize the true meaning of "This moment is Complete as it is".

Funny how that works.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-04-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Joyo
    I get that, Jundo. I really do. Thank you

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

And by dropping all expectations and craving to "find something", we thus truly Find the Jewel. "Dropping all expectations" is insufficient if it means merely dropping all hope, all drive, and just giving up. The True "Dropping All Expectations" is the total satisfaction of "nothing more in need to find".

Funny how that works.

Yet most people do not realize how Complete this moment truly is, and thus are trapped in lack and incompleteness (and all the greed, anger and ignorance that goes with it). Saying "life is complete as it is" is not so if by that one means that "greed, anger and ignorance" are fine as they are. Only by dropping and seeing through the greed, anger and ignorance does one first really realize the true meaning of "This moment is Complete as it is".

Funny how that works.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Thank you Jundo

..sat2day•

Which came first - seeing this moment complete as it is or seeing through the greed anger and ignorance. 😊

Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

Yes

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Thank You Jundo

Gassho
    Theophan
    Sat Today

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat Today
    I have only just come across this post. I find the varying influence of Zazen interesting. I am often in the situation where 'lay' people ask me about my practice and have no real benchmark on how it may affect them. It is too easy to expect that Zazen will influence them as it does myself. There is danger in this. One is only left with the advice to try and to form their own conclusions.

m

Sat 2-day
    Last edited by michaeljc; 05-08-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Well, it may not work but it's the most real and authentic thing to do.

Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well, it may not work but it's the most real and authentic thing to do.

Sat today
    Well put. Gassho, Sat2Day