Thread: Changing up length of zazen time

Changing up length of zazen time

Greetings everyone. I am wondering if its recommended to change up the length of time that you sit regularly. I have been sitting for 30 minutes daily for about two weeks. If this has been asked before I apologize. I did a search and came up with nothing.

gassho
    C
    sat today

Mp
    Hello Chris,

It is good that you are sitting, but no need to sit longer then 30mins at a time. If you are, time to get up and take the benefits of Shikintaza off the cushion and out into the world. =)

You can always sit more then once through out your day. Some folks will sit both in the morning and evening or just a different times of the day. Also, sometimes it is the quality of your zazen then the quantity ... just my two cents. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Hi Chris,

30 minutes is what has worked for me best.

Gassho, Jishin

It's really good to know that about 30 min. is okay--CSC_0045.jpgfor Shikantaza is about right--sometimes I've thought upwards of an hour was better, and I appreciate the comment about taking it out into the world--this is the beginning of photography season, time for one of my passions

Elgwyn
    Gassho
    sat_/\_

I'm not sure what happened, but I posted an agreement about 30 min. for sitting, downloaded a new photo, and everything was lost--I agree about 30 min, sometimes day and or evening. But what happened to my photo?

My apology--still learning--hope you like my photo.

SAT _/\_today
    Gassho Thank you
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 03-31-2015 at 01:33 AM.

Hi Elgwyn,

I can see your photo and your previous post.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    明道 修眼
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Kyotai
    30 minutes is what I aim for each day

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today (for 30 minutes!)

Joyo
    I sit for 15 min in the morning and 15 to 30 min in the evening

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

A couple friends of mine have come back from a Goenka Vipassana course.
    They recommend 2 one hour sits, one in the morning and one at night.
    They are both bleary eyed and get frustrated when they can't meet the expectations.
    I tell them- get into Zazen, only 30 minutes once a day.
    then practice life for the rest of the day.

Gassho
    Jamie
    Sat today

Hi,

Zazen is not a matter of long or short. One must sit dropping all measure, tasting in one's bones that every single instant of Zazen is all time (and all timeless too)! One must sit throwing the clock away!

And yet ... and yet ... (Zen guys often speak out of both sides of their no sided mouth, with seemingly contradictory yet simultaneously true ways to measure things) ... and yet ...

We recommend the following (from our "We're All Always Beginners" series, please give that a watch), at least 15 minutes a day ... but that's not all ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...%28Part-XXI%29

... also countless Insta-Zazen "Sittings" throughout one's day ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-%28Part-XX%29

The most important point is to be consistent about doing all of the above each day.

Also, although sitting is not about "attaining" or "measure" ... it is sometimes important to head to Retreat/Sesshin (if physically able) to wrestle long and hard seeking to attain that "nonattaining"! I just posted about that here:

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post151546

Don't sit Zazen like one is running a taxi meter trying to get 'cross town. This trip is to no where but right here and here and here.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-31-2015 at 02:34 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello,

It never stops. We create the conditions. Simply return. imho

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi Christopher!

I think 30 minutes is a pretty nice time. If you have only been sitting for a couple of weeks, I think you should first make zazen part of your daily habits.

Why don't you stick with 30 minutes until Ango, in September. Then you'll be pretty comfortable with that time and you'll be able to rise your time limit along with us all.

That's what I did and worked fine. Hope it helps.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I sit anywhere from 15 - 30min a day. 30min seems to be just about right

..sat2day•

I don’t know where exactly I picked it up but over the years I heard/read different sources claiming 20 minutes as being the time needed for certain changes to happen in the brain - I think thats about calming, quieting, lowering anxiety levels and the like which I realize is not what we seek/non-seek in shikantaza, but well, sought after or not it seems there are actual neurological changes in that length of sitting time.
    These days I sit mornings and evenings 30mins, more that that just becomes torture due to painfully stiffening muscles.

I sat today.
    Gassho, greetings and love.

Nadi

Quote Originally Posted by Bids View Post
    I don’t know where exactly I picked it up but over the years I heard/read different sources claiming 20 minutes as being the time needed for certain changes to happen in the brain - I think thats about calming, quieting, lowering anxiety levels and the like which I realize is not what we seek/non-seek in shikantaza, but well, sought after or not it seems there are actual neurological changes in that length of sitting time.
    These days I sit mornings and evenings 30mins, more that that just becomes torture due to painfully stiffening muscles.

I sat today.
    Gassho, greetings and love.

Nadi
    Yes, long Zazen has value, short Zazen has value.

Sometimes I sit for a week in a monastery, getting up at 4am and sitting all day ... day after day ... and the trip is profound with lasting effects.

Sometimes I sit 30 or 40 minutes ... and there are times when one truly settles in ... right into an experience of no "I", just Sitting Sits Sitting.

Sometimes (in fact, the way of Zazen I cherish these days, with lessons of its own lasting and profound) is the Zazen of instantaneously bringing forth "Shikantaza Mind" right amid the craziness of life ... when the baby is crying, the doorbell ringing, the ambulance on its way, the client demanding, the post office line creeping, the traffic jamming, the sun shining, the wind blowing, the rain falling ... such "Zazen" lasting a minute or just a few seconds, and "Sat" whether sitting, standing or running for the train ...

... the same Just As It Is, Timeless Wholeness of Buddha shining in and as all Dharmas, all things.

Long Zazen is Zazen, Short Zazen is Zazen ... do not neglect either.

Gassho, J

SatToday (Both Long and Short).
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-04-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks for your reply and bringing it so beautifully together Jundo.
    Gassho, Nadi

sat, on and off the cushion