Thread: US Marine to Zen Monk!

US Marine to Zen Monk!

Being former career military myself (22 years) and then a corporate 'suit' afterwards (12 years), this really caught my eye...!

Gassho,
    Anshu/Bryson

sat today

Mp
    Thank you Anshu, this is a lovely film. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Kyotai
    Very good. Thank you.

Gassho, Kyotai
    sat today

Yugen

US Marine to Zen Monk!

Anshu,
    Thank you for this. I've been a "suit" in the public and private sector so I can very much relate to this..... What really spoke to me was his reason for becoming a zen monk : "to find out the truth about [our] selves..."

Deep bows
    Yugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Anshu,

A great little film!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Hello,

Thank you for the moment.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you. Wonderful.

Gassho, Jundo

Oh, I just recognized his Teacher and the Temple ... Annonji. There are subtitles.

Last edited by Jundo; 03-17-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

This one really touched me. Thank you so much for sharing.

Gassho

Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you. Wonderful.

Gassho, Jundo

Oh, I just recognized his Teacher and the Temple ... Annonji. There are subtitles.
    Yes, apparently in Iruma. That's not far from my Sensei's karate dojo in Oume...

Gassho,
    Anshu/Bryson

​sat today

Joyo
    Thank you, Anshu. This was a great video.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Just got around to watching this. I really enjoyed the sentence about "The Me before my mother and father met". That was very thought provoking.... which may be a bad thing in a place of no thoughts haha.

Gassho
    James
    Sat Today

Thank you Anshu. I was struck while watching it with the similarity with the late Myogen Steve Stucky - particularity the smile.
    Gassho,
    David

sattoday

Kyotai
    Im curious if takuhatsugasa is something only practiced in certain regions. I've never heard of this being practiced in Canada or the U.S.

Gassho Kyotai
    Sat today

Hi Kyotai,

Unlike in India, Thailand and other places in South Asia, "Takuhatsu" (travelling door to door accepting donations in one's bowl, usually of food in South Asia) was never widely accepted in the general culture in China and Japan when Buddhism arrived there. The general population in those countries generally did not understand or support the custom ... Thus, the monks there typically would only go out sometimes, and then as primarily a special or symbolic practice. It is still so in Japan (as can be seen in the video of the Monk Marine, most Japanese just walk past).

(The "Ho" heard recited in the video means "Law" or "Dharma," as in the Laws of the Universe and Buddha's Teachings on such. As you can see, not too many people are rushing out of their houses to give offerings as might be seen, for example, in Burma or Thailand)

I would say that the practice of Takuhatsu is even less understood culturally in America and Europe, and even more infrequently Practiced for that reason, although a few groups will go out from time to time. In fact, mendicancy may violate laws on "panhandling" in many jurisdictions.

Personally, I support and would like to develop a form of "Takuhatsu" to fit Western culture, and it would be a Buddhist version of "Trick or Treat for Unicef" or "Salvation Army Collections" and the like which Zen groups might engage in at certain holiday seasons. It is a lovely Practice of humility and generosity, in which Giver, Receiver, Gift and Giving are One.

("Takuhatsugasa", which you mention, refers to the traditional straw hat you see the monk wearing).

Gassho, Jundo

PS - New York, Paris, Tokyo and other major cities have been plagued by "fake monks" from the Chinese mafia and various religious cults who hit tourists for money. I am sure that Scott in the video (Taigu practices Takuhatsu too from time to time) also is judged a fake by some folks, simply by being a foreigner doing so here! Most Japanese would not know what to make of a Caucasian monk in the first place, let alone one collecting money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/06/ny...kers.html?_r=0
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-18-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Thank you very much, Anshu. Just the encouragement I needed today.

_/st\_ Shinzan

Sorry,
    could somebody via PM or openly (for other sangha members) please explain what "being a suit" means?
    I've never heard it.
    Is it somebody who's job makes him wear a suit? Or is it something really different?
    Nishijima is shown in suit and okesa, so suit as clothing can't be what one leaves behind as a monk?

I'm curious about this TL takuhatsu thing.
    Monks in some countries have their robes as a sign of integrity.
    In my town, lots of people are asking for money, for children afflicted by cancer, for victims of war.
    And I almost always notice my fear, will they really do the good things they promise.

I'd like to know what we can do, and in what ways it is different from the social projects Treeleaf regularly initiates.

Thank you.
    Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Danny,

A suit houses a lump of red meat that is usually involved in white collar work.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Danny,

A "suit" is derogatory slang for someone who works a job that requires them to wear a suit. You are correct. The term mocks white collar work.

Gassho

Sat Today

Hi Danny,

A "suit" is someone who wears a suit, a tie and works for a corporation or government.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi! Thank you for this video.

Made me cry because I too was a suit for many years and it was scary to see the things that happen in the corporate world.

I'm glad I have this super simple life now.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Dear D,

'White collar' is occupation requiring a button-front dress shirt.

Stay safe.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you all for your answers.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Hi everyone,

I reached out to Scott (Enkaku Daruma) to let him know how much his story resonated with me. He immediately invited me to come sit with him and Jinen san in Iruma when I am next in Tokyo (hopefully this summer, if all the planets align!). Very much looking forward to it!

Gassho,
    Anshu/Bryson

​sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshu Bryson View Post
    Hi everyone,

I reached out to Scott (Enkaku Daruma) to let him know how much his story resonated with me. He immediately invited me to come sit with him and Jinen san in Iruma when I am next in Tokyo (hopefully this summer, if all the planets align!). Very much looking forward to it!

Gassho,
    Anshu/Bryson

​sat today
    Wonderful ... can you stuff me in your suitcase? LOL

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Yugen
    Anshu, that's awesome!

Gassho
    Yugen

Thank you. Wonderful.

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you,
    I think we may have shared this video before - anyhow I recall watching it.
    Zen Master Jinen has such a wonderful smile and laugh - it's as though he's expressing the joy of finding 'the truth without concept'.
    It's a lovely exposition of the difference between talking about/conceptualizing meditation and the purely experiential sense of Zazen.

Gassho,

Willow

Sat Today

Yugen
    Thank you for your descriptions of the word "suit." Pretty much captures things brilliantly....!

Deep bows
    Yugen
    (Who is more useful in jeans and fleece)

While I only did five years all together. As a former Soldier.
    This hit the spot I completely understand.
    The looking everywhere. Zen is the only thing that makes life somewhat make sense.
    Gassho

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

THankyou for this.

Ive been involved helping returned personnel cope with "life" again, it can be hard or it can be easy but its never dull. The best help I could be was to refer mindfulness and loving-kindness practices to them, these videos remind me of doing that.

Lovely, thankyou.

Gassho, Geoff
    Sat2day.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Very nice. Thank you for sharing

..sat2day•合掌

Just a note that Bryson is in Japan for his Karate, and will be sitting with Scott (the priest in the film) and Jinen Roshi sometime during the coming days. Bryson is then coming to visit Treeleaf Tsukuba on the 17th-18th of this month, and I believe that he is bringing Scott along to stay with us and sit our Zazenkai!

I hope that everyone will join us.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Just a note that Bryson is in Japan for his Karate, and will be sitting with Scott (the priest in the film) and Jinen Roshi sometime during the coming days. Bryson is then coming to visit Treeleaf Tsukuba on the 17th-18th of this month, and I believe that he is bringing Scott along to stay with us and sit our Zazenkai!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Crises notwithstanding (!), that is the plan!

See you soon!

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Great!
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

How very cool! Enjoyed this video and the Jinen Roshi video much. How neat that you will be there to visit Anshu Bryson!
    Looking forward to Scott and Anshu and all at that Zazenkai
    Gassho,
    SatToday -> Rodney

Yugen

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    This is tremendous - looking forward to it!

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

What a beautiful video. Thank you for sharing. It really spoke to me today.

Gassho,

Kansho

sat today

Actually the Franciscans were the premiere practitioners of "Western Takuhatsu", since the 13th Century. They were one of the few "Mendicant" religious orders of the Western Church, that begged their living. Unfortunately this did not last much past the demise of St. Francis , their founder.

Gassho,

Seishin/Kyrill

Looking forward to meeting him! --live or otherwise!

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi Fr. K! Our Christian Soldier of Peace!

How are you?

Gassho, J

Hello Jundo, et al....

Just being my ole hermit-self, even with the "bit' of activity the Bishop gives me in serving a church.

I had some warm fuzzies about you yesterday....I went to pick up some folks at a train station who were coming in for a Spiritual Retreat at the Abbey, and, as you would have it the train's arrival kept getting delayed (2.5 hrs late altogether). So I strolled the platform for a while silently chanting the Prayer of the Heart and doing KinHin and then sat on a bench outside, with all the noise of busses, and cars and people and sat Zazen for about 45 minutes. Just as I sat down, I thought.."Ha, Jundo you don't know how much you have influenced me!!!"

Gassho _/\_

Seishin/Kyrill

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillos View Post
    I had some warm fuzzies about you yesterday....I went to pick up some folks at a train station who were coming in for a Spiritual Retreat at the Abbey, and, as you would have it the train's arrival kept getting delayed (2.5 hrs late altogether). So I strolled the platform for a while silently chanting the Prayer of the Heart and doing KinHin and then sat on a bench outside, with all the noise of busses, and cars and people and sat Zazen for about 45 minutes. Just as I sat down, I thought.."Ha, Jundo you don't know how much you have influenced me!!!"
    Wonderful thank you Seishin. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

_/\_
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I love this thread. You all help awaken faith in this sometimes barren heart.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Yugen
    Sesshin,
    Thank you. It's wonderful to see you. Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

Yugen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    I love this thread. You all help awaken faith in this sometimes barren heart.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi,
    Nine bows to you. I am speechless. You describe my humanity exactly.

Yugen

sat2day