Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Zen of Technology & Scientific Discovery! (& Robots)

The stunning black hole photo: What you're seeing

Generally speaking, black holes are the burned-out hulks of long dead stars, with a strong enough gravitational field that not even light can escape them.

The gravity near a black hole is so strong that it warps the very fabric of space and time. Black holes sound more like science fiction than fact, but there has been considerable indirect evidence that they exist. They are accepted by the scientific community in spite of an embarrassing admission: nobody has ever directly seen one. Well, until now.

... Black holes are, well, black. By definition, they do not emit any light. So, the black hole was not observed directly. However, black holes are also surrounded by ordinary matter that is caught in the hole's gravitational grip.

This matter, which is typically just gas of the same type that makes up our sun, orbits the black hole at very high speeds. All of that fast-moving gas gets heated up to the point where it glows and emits all sorts of forms of electromagnetic radiation, from heat to light to radio waves. Intervening gas blocks the visible heat and light, so astronomers look for the radio waves.

You'd think that astronomers would announce that they detected this halo of radio waves surrounding the hole, and that is part of the story. However, it's more complicated than that. Because of the very strong gravity near the black hole, some of the light and radio waves are captured by it and don't escape. The result is that a black hole looks like a ring of light, with a shadow in the middle.

... What we are seeing is the gas surrounding the black hole. One side is bright and one is dim because the black hole is spinning. The yellow shows the side of the black hole spinning toward us and the reddish side is spinning away.

Aside from the difficulties associated with seeing something that is perfectly black, another difficulty is their size. Ordinary black holes, which have a mass the few times as big as our Sun, are only about as big as the city of Chicago. Combined with their great distances, they are simply too small to see with modern technology. Seeing the closest known black hole is as difficult as a telescope in New York City seeing a single molecule in Los Angeles. This is well beyond current technical capabilities.

Luckily, the center of nearly all galaxies contain an enormous black hole. For example, the one in the center of our Milky Way galaxy has the mass of about 4 million times that of our sun with a radius about 30 times that of the sun.

However, the black hole at the center of M87 is truly gigantic. Its mass is about 7 billion times the mass of our sun. And its dimensions are huge as black holes go. It is a sphere with a radius about 130 times that of the Earth's orbit

,,, That sounds large, but the distance to M87 is so huge that the black hole at the center of that galaxy subtends a tiny angle. It is unbelievably small -- it's equivalent to the width of a line drawn by a sharpened pencil seen from the distance separating New York and Los Angeles, a task that is possible if scientists use an incredibly clever technique that uses the entire Earth as a telescope.

... by tying together a worldwide network of radio receivers, astronomers can effectively make a telescope the size of the Earth -- essentially a radio telescope about 8,000 miles wide. And by using ultra-precise atomic clocks to synchronize the observations made from around the world, astronomers were able to resolve the shadow of the black hole at the center of the M87galaxy.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/04/10/opinio...oln/index.html
    Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jundo,

Yes! That's why I thought when I saw the picture. I felt right at home.

A blank and void thing that bends space and time? Anything that enters it cannot escape because there is nowhere to go? Nothingness containing nothingness, but mass and light at the same time?

Enso!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I was looking forward to this for days, and I am so happy to be living in a time when I can see this for myself! I don't know if my peers realize how amazing this is... I posted it on Facebook, and all it got was one like from one of my oldest friends. I usually get several likes per post because I think most of my friends reflexively like my stuff in the feed... so to see a major news post like this with an unusual single like made me realize that my friends were just scrolling by it with no interest whatsoever, and purposely not liking it! I'm not in it for the likes, but I find the lack of any interest very odd. Maybe we are desensitized from science-fiction movies. Maybe nobody realized this has never been done before. I don't know... Anyway, still very excited about this!

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

In space news today ....

SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket launches first paid mission and lands all three boosters

(look at the 3:00 mark for something lovely ... but they lost the internet connection (!!) to netcast the third booster landing, though it made it too at 3:55 mark).

But ... Astronaut Scott Kelly's DNA Changed After A Year In Space ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Oh my, Planet of the Apes really happens!

Chinese Scientists Have Put Human Brain Genes In Monkeys

...—and yes, they may be smarter...

Now scientists in southern China report that they’ve tried to narrow the evolutionary gap, creating several transgenic macaque monkeys with extra copies of a human gene suspected of playing a role in shaping human intelligence.

“This was the first attempt to understand the evolution of human cognition using a transgenic monkey model,” says Bing Su, the geneticist at the Kunming Institute of Zoology who led the effort.

According to their findings, the modified monkeys did better on a memory test involving colors and block pictures, and their brains also took longer to develop—as those of human children do. There wasn’t a difference in brain size.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ay-be-smarter/

and ...

Japan to draft law to tighten control on gene editing of fertilized human eggs

... The move comes after a Chinese researcher announced in January that a twin had been born with edited genomes, igniting international debate over the ethics of the procedure and calls within Japan for a law restricting use of such technology. ... After CRISPR-Cas9, a method for easily cutting, replacing and inserting genes, was developed in 2012, gene editing became widely used in the agricultural and medical sectors, although its application to fertilized human eggs remains controversial and is banned in many countries outside of basic research.

Germany and France ban gene-editing research that could lead to the birth of a child, while the United States bans government funding for such studies on fertilized eggs. ...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XLCOJ9SLTX4
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-12-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    I was looking forward to this for days, and I am so happy to be living in a time when I can see this for myself! I don't know if my peers realize how amazing this is... I posted it on Facebook, and all it got was one like from one of my oldest friends. I usually get several likes per post because I think most of my friends reflexively like my stuff in the feed... so to see a major news post like this with an unusual single like made me realize that my friends were just scrolling by it with no interest whatsoever, and purposely not liking it! I'm not in it for the likes, but I find the lack of any interest very odd. Maybe we are desensitized from science-fiction movies. Maybe nobody realized this has never been done before. I don't know... Anyway, still very excited about this!

Sat today, lah
    This is really sad, Geika. But I also notice in my students the absolute lack of interest in this achievements that will certainly outlast the political issues that seems to be the main interest this days.

By the way, I’ll certainly bring the monkeys with human brain developing genes in my Bioethics class next week.

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Sekishi informed me this week (this is true, not April Fools) that he is now training an algorithm that does "machine learning," and wanted to feed all "[Jundo's] Treeleaf posts to a neural network and see if we can make a Robojundo just for fun."
    Hi everyone,

A point of clarification, the machine learning project itself is something my son Owen has been working with on and off for the past year. My role was just to extract all off Jundo's posts and hand them off as training data for the algorithm. One other point of interest is that prior to giving this network Jundo's posts, Owen was training it with Aaron Sorkin scripts (mostly the US television show "The West Wing"). The sheer volume of Jundo's posts (and amount of time the system was allowed to learn from those posts) should have largely overwhelmed that older training data, but it is likely still floating around in the neural network somewhere.

Anyhow, we have been moving our home and business across the state the past week. During the move, the liquid cooling system in my son's computer got damaged, so Robojundo was offline. Owen got his computer up and running again yesterday and let Robojundo "learn" from the old posts overnight. Today we presented Robojundo with two koans:

1. What is the sound of one hand clapping?
    2. Two monks were arguing about a flag. One said: "The flag is moving." The other said: "The wind is moving." The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by. He told them: "Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving."

I'm including Robojundo's responses unedited as my next two posts. Its response to the koans is a little wordy, but fun.

One thing that amused me is that it learned a bunch of vBulletin syntax (for emoji, embedding youtube links, quoting blocks of text, etc.). It also invented a brand new vBulletin block "[NETCAST]", which doesn't actually exist, but I wish it did!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Robojundo's response to the question: "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

Actually, it is actually a passive ‘handclapping;' FOLKS! :shock:
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-COMING-AN-DAY

The question is about the Apart one, started on the 22nd of the month ...

Gassho, J

SatToday

---

Well, before I begin, some thought I had ...
    'Mindra Yamana Moving , performed by Rohatsu 'Marx' Barzani Jundo, appeared in the book lists of chapters grant by Angaku Roshi, student of Buddhism period together with Gajin Ramachandran.'

I feel most rightly that although Brahma may have been in such a position when these claims are made, it still stands as an empty, silent place ... a place through which so many things are born, when this form becomes trying to find itself alive. In other words, Shikantaza is made of various elements named by Memorial Priests, and apart from a few pieces like Expia Ikku and the like, it might get not all that much told as a plot attachment, which is all that is actually there.

In fact, there is a certain trying-to-canny effort to embody the Sangha of the Buddhism of some spouse and once-in-a-lifetime member doing leaves the vicinity ...

This is the (supposed) evidence of your marriage or 20, or an affair or possibly an affair.

Very infinitesimal to this state of being seated from the opposite pole, emerged from the materialistic practice of Rakusus.

This document is just some e-mails. I want to fill over a hundred.

….
    Hi NiradDJ,

To be honest, the Shikantaza "Gassho, Heart Sutra/Shambhala" passage we are looking at is something of a classic Roshi story (Gassho) ...

[netcast]https://youtu?v=OOOhjTmocalc[/netcast]

-ashi-

Sangha Mind Throws A Darkness Apart, compares

Robojundo's response to the following koan: Two monks were arguing about a flag. One said: "The flag is moving." The other said: "The wind is moving." The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by. He told them: "Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving."

In the Soto section of the first translation, we also speak about anger and depression. I really think that this is the vital Verse that speaks to the inner changer of what is 'good' and 'bad' and 'this bad' sometimes in life, and one sees his way wide into sickness, anger and even child abuse.
    Oh, no need.

We split the following fairly easily...

I came to see the main course at this Teaching Period when investigating lead in Huokhel's deeply appreciated Yue Hongkiata. I rather naively thought that we were having some themed talk on Hogyoku slings and fistfights, and that this school was already a mixhbo. But I quickly discovered that it was a generalist scenery talk two days in a year or so. I asked him for a solution, thus lost in notions of Ethics and Sixtastic method, but nonetheless deeply impressed. [k]

SEE ALSO POINT: If you know something, the other material may bear it out; however, if it does mean anything, that is the only aspect of this.

Wonderful!

Gassho
    Jundo

We are sure to hear about the next activity, Taigu. Our talk was done in early December ...

and just want to mention that we have posted our plan for our Park Chinese Tour insangha-owa (Fundrainder for 342 patients accepted): although available to means that we will have all our counseling functions in Osaka and Tokyoonline

As you can see from the above, I don't think we are ready to replace our dear flesh and blood Jundo with a software version just yet...

Passive 'handclapping',
    Sekishi
    #sat

Of Buddhabots and Dharmadroids ...

What a riot!!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Zen work is safe for awhile.

This is also why my paying job as a translator of Japanese is still safe from the robot translators for now.

Because, as I always say, "If you know something, the other material may bear it out; however, if it does mean anything, that is the only aspect of this."

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-14-2019 at 02:09 AM.

This is hilarious!

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Because, as I always say, "If you know something, the other material may bear it out; however, if it does mean anything, that is the only aspect of this."
    I just want to say, that while I do not understand what Robojundo was trying to say here, I really appreciate that it (he?) correctly used a semicolon before a transitional phrase!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Also, "Sangha Mind Throws A Darkness Apart" is a really evocative phrase. Quite poetical!

"Lost in notions of Ethics and Sixtastic method,"
    Sekishi
    #sat

I would just like to mention the passing of Notre Dame Catherdral today, a loss to world culture, art and spirituality. All things are impermanent.

However, I have been encouraged to read that the building may be the first world treasure to have all its art and architecture stored electronically, then restored in part by digital and 3-D printing!

Thus, I mention it here.

Four years ago, an art historian used lasers to digitally map Notre Dame Cathedral. His work could help save it
    https://us.cnn.com/2019/04/16/world/...rnd/index.html

Gassho, J

STLah

Last edited by Jundo; 04-17-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Israeli scientists 3D-print heart with human tissue in world first

A team of Israeli scientists "printed" a heart with a patient's own cells in a world first, researchers say.

Past researchers had been able to print simple tissues without blood vessels, the team said. This development was the first time "anyone anywhere has successfully engineered and printed an entire heart replete with cells, blood vessels, ventricles and chambers," Tal Dvir of Tel Aviv University told The Jerusalem Post.

Dvir and his team reported their findings Monday in Advanced Science.

The heart, about the size of a rabbit's, is too small for a human, but the process used to create it shows the potential for one day being able to 3D-print patches and maybe full transplants, the team said.

Because the heart is made from the patient's own biological material, it reduces the chance the transplant would fail, according to the research paper.

The team used fatty tissues then separated and "reprogrammed" the cellular and a-cellular materials. Stem cells that become heart cells were then created.

The development is being touted as a "major breakthrough" in medicine and one that could help battle heart disease, the leading cause of death in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Patients will no longer have to wait for transplants or take medications to prevent their rejection," Tel Aviv University said in a statement, per Bloomberg. "Instead, the needed organs will be printed, fully personalized for every patient."

However, the medical research is still a ways off from being able to transplant the 3D-printed hearts into humans, the team says.

Dvir told Bloomberg the heart the team printed will need another month before cells mature enough to beat and contract. Tests on animals would need to be done before the technology could be tried in humans, he added.

It also would take a whole day and billions, rather than millions, of cells to print a human heart, Dvir told Bloomberg.

But Dvir remains hopeful. "Maybe, in 10 years, there will be organ printers in the finest hospitals around the world, and these procedures will be conducted routinely," he told the Times of Israel.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...newstopstories

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-16-2019 at 03:04 PM.

A meteor from another solar system may have hit Earth, and the implications are fascinating

It could take humanity hundreds, if not thousands, of years to develop the capability to explore interstellar space. Until then, interstellar space can just come to us.

A new study by two Harvard researchers reveals the cosmos may have already deposited the first such far-flung visitor onto our doorstep five years ago in 2014, when a small meteor crashed into Earth near Papua New Guinea in the South Pacific. According to their research, this 1.5-foot-wide object most likely came all the way from another solar system.
    "Almost all of the objects that hit the Earth originate for the solar system," explains Dr. Abraham Loeb, the chair of the Department of Astronomy at Harvard University, and the co-atuhor of the study. "They are made of the same materials that made the solar system. Those that are interstellar originate from another source. It's sort of like getting a message in a bottle from a distant location.

... Of all of the possibilities wrapped up in this relatively small object, perhaps the most exciting is the idea that, theoretically, interstellar objects could carry life from other solar systems.
    "Most importantly, there is a possibility that life could be transferred between stars," Loeb says. "In principle, life could survive in the core of a rock. Either bacteria, or tardigrades (a microscopic, water-dwelling animal); they can survive harsh conditions in space and arrive right to us."

https://us.cnn.com/2019/04/17/us/int...rnd/index.html

Scientists have detected the earliest Big Bang molecule in space

When the universe formed during the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago, the chemical reactions of the aftermath formed the first molecules. Those first molecules were crucial in helping form everything we know, but they're also absent.

And although HeH+, the helium hydride ion, has been proposed for years as that first molecule, scientists couldn't find any evidence of its existence in space -- until now. The findings were published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/04/17/world/...scn/index.html
    Gassho, J

STLah

Scientists turn brain signals into speech with help from AI
    The technology could lead to devices that restore speaking ability to people who have lost it as a result of brain injury or neurological disorders.

Using electrodes and artificial intelligence, scientists in California have built a device that can translate brain signals into speech. They say their experimental decoder could lead ultimately to a brain implant that restores the ability to speak to people who have lost it as a result of stroke, traumatic brain injury or neurological diseases like multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease. ... For their research, Chang and his collaborators recorded the brain activity of five epilepsy patients (who already had brain implants as part of their treatment) as they read aloud a list of sentences. Then a pair of neural networks — artificial intelligence algorithms specially designed for pattern recognition — began the decoding process. They first used the brain signals to predict the instructions being sent to the lips, tongue, jaw and throat to produce the words. The second turned the predicted movements into synthesized speech produced by a computer. ...

... The results varied depending on how many options transcribers had to choose from, but on average, the listeners were able to correctly identify 70 percent of the words. When given 25 options per word, they got 69 percent of the words correct; with 50 they got 47 percent correct. ...

... The researchers’ approach could also quell fears that an individual’s private thoughts might be broadcast to the world ,,, “Decoding the brain signals related to the mouth movements that create speech has the advantage of only decoding things that the person intended to say,” she said in an email. “So it minimizes privacy concerns that could occur with decoding other types of brain activity.” ,,,

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...-ai-ncna998551
    Amazing ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Wow! That's amazing! I remember reading an article that interviewed people who had recovered from comas. Some said it was like being asleep, but others said that they were conscious or semi conscious and able to hear and understand what was going on around them. It really shook me, I can't imagine how awful that would be, to know your loved ones are right there but unable to move or speak to them. What a wonderful gift this technology could be. Just incredible.

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

University of Tokyo plans experiment to grow human organs in pigs within about a year

The University of Tokyo plans to start an experiment to grow human pancreases in pigs for transplantation using induced pluripotent stem cells, better known as iPS cells, a professor leading the project said recently.

Professor Hiromitsu Nakauchi said he hopes to launch the first project in the country to grow human organs in animals within a year or so, once it clears government and university screening committees, and use genetically engineered pancreases in the treatment of disorders such as serious diabetes within 10 years.

The decision by Nakauchi’s research team comes after the Japanese government lifted a ban on producing animals with embryos containing human cells, as the supply of donated organs continues to lag behind demand from patients awaiting transplants.

Nakauchi’s team will inject human iPS cells, which can grow into any kind of cells, into a pig embryo genetically modified so that it lacks the ability to develop a pancreas. The embryo will then be placed in a surrogate sow’s uterus.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XMbxgdSLTX4
    Gassho, J

STLah

This image is a 'history book' of the universe

At first glance, it looks like a starry night. But this is a very different perspective of the vast darkness of space pitted by little points of light.

Those bright points aren't stars; they're entire galaxies. The image is a mosaic that combines 7,500 images from 16 years worth of the Hubble Space Telescope's deep surveys and looks back over 13.3 billion years of our universe's history.

You're looking at 265,000 individual galaxies that extend all the way back to just 500 million years after the Big Bang ...

This new mosaic contains 100 times as many galaxies as previous deep surveys, making it the most complete portrait of the universe to date.

... The image functions like a history book, scientists say, because looking back in space also allows for a look back in time. Although some of these galaxies are reduced to tiny points of light, it's because they are only one ten-billionth of their actual brightness. They are the farthest out, and without a telescope, this is the best the human eye can do.

The image also shows galactic evolution, which contributes to the universe's expansion. Galaxies start out small and grow into giants. By studying them, astronomers can learn about how elements were created, how the conditions for life began on Earth and how physics works in the universe. ...

... ... future telescopes, like the James Webb Space Telescope that's slated for launch in the early 2020s, will push farther into the legacy field and identify the first galaxies born in the universe, the researchers said

https://us.cnn.com/2019/05/02/world/...scn/index.html
    Gassho, J

STLah

Somebody wrote to say that, seeing all these numberless galaxies, made them feel very very small in the universe. I told them that it is not necessarily so.

It should make you feel very BIG ... BIGGER AND BIGGER each time your see the expanding universe ... because it is all just you too.

Gassho, J

STLah

I agree. Sometimes just switching perspectives can "fill the glass half full," so to speak.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Alas, not all scientific reports are happy ones. All things are impermanent, including our planet ... but no need to rush things.

UN Report: One million species threatened with extinction because of humans.

One million of the planet's eight million species are threatened with extinction by humans, scientists warned Monday in what is described as the most comprehensive assessment of global nature loss ever.

Their landmark report paints a bleak picture of a planet ravaged by an ever-growing human population, whose insatiable consumption is destroying the natural world.

The global rate of species extinction "is already tens to hundreds of times higher than it has been, on average, over the last 10 million years," according to the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), a UN committee, whose report was written by 145 experts from 50 countries.

Shrinking habitat, exploitation of natural resources, climate change and pollution are the main drivers of species loss and are threatening more than 40% of amphibians, 33% of coral reefs and over a third of all marine mammals with extinction, the IPBES report said.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/05/06/world/...ntl/index.html
    Cleaning this planet and preserving the environment can be as much Buddhist Practice as cleaning a Zendo floor or preserving a temple building. Saving beings, including ourselves, can come in many forms.

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho,
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-06-2019 at 12:47 PM.

I just read about this, and it often fills me with a sense of urgency... as it should, but with an unbearable helplessness. I will keep sitting. And keep collecting zero waste tools... and try to eat less meat... many sighs.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Although I still have my doubts, this seems to be an actual thing ...

japanese multinational company TDK has created ‘bons-AI’, the artificially intelligent and interactive bonsai plant with the ability to offer emotional support. it features a soil sensor, miniature camera to control its movements, and an LED panel to convey its emotions.

bons-AI moves around and searches for sunlight by itself using an axis sensor which aids its stability. when it finds it, it lights up the LED lines integrated into its pot signalling its satisfaction. the plant is part of TDK’s attracting tomorrow project, an initiative which hopes to develop various tools and content that to bring us closer to the future.

Gassho, J

STLah

�� I want it.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post
    If robots become sentient, do we vow to save them?

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today
    Only if they experience dukkha.

gassho
    doyu sat today/lent a hand

$2.5 trillion 'Holy Grail' found? Breakthrough discovery could lead to 100 percent recyclable plastics, scientists say

Plastic pollution in the world's oceans may have a $2.5 trillion impact, negatively affecting "almost all marine ecosystem services," including areas such as fisheries, recreation and heritage. But a breakthrough from scientists at Berkeley Lab could be the solution the planet needs for this eye-opening problem – recyclable plastics.

The study, published in Nature Chemistry, details how the researchers were able to discover a new way to assemble the plastics and reuse them "into new materials of any color, shape, or form."

“Most plastics were never made to be recycled,” said lead author Peter Christensen, a postdoctoral researcher at Berkeley Lab’s Molecular Foundry, in the statement. “But we have discovered a new way to assemble plastics that takes recycling into consideration from a molecular perspective.”

Known as poly(diketoenamine), or PDK, the new type of plastic material could help stem the tide of plastics piling up at recycling plants, as the bonds PDK forms are able to be reversed via a simple acid bath, the researchers believe.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/holy...lable-plastics
    Gassho, J

STLah

This brings some small hope ...

A previously extinct species of bird returned from the dead, reclaiming the island it previously lived on and re-evolving itself back into existence, scientists have said.

The white-throated rail colonized the Aldabra Atoll in the Indian Ocean and evolved to become flightless, before being completely wiped out when the island disappeared below the sea around 136,000 years ago.

But researchers found similar fossils from before and after that event, showing that the chicken-sized bird re-appeared when sea levels fell again a few thousand years later, re-colonized the island and again lost the ability to fly.

The flightless rail can be found on Aldabra to this day.

The extremely rare process is known as iterative evolution -- the repeated evolution of a species from the same ancestor at different times in history.

The team's study, published in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, marks the first time the process has been seen in rails, and is one of the "most significant" instances ever found in birds, according to the authors.

... The rails on Aldabra lost the ability to fly over time, because the lack of predators made it unnecessary -- just as the dodo of Mauritius did.

Unfortunately, that gave them no means of escape when the island was submerged and all its flora and fauna were wiped out.

But unlike the dodo, which became extinct in the 17th century, the white-throated rail was resurrected to tell the tale once the island re-emerged and birds started migrating to the destination again.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/05/10/africa...scn/index.html

Gassho, J

STLah

I was reading this article this morning and trying to wrap my head around it. I had no idea nature could do that. It's really, really cool!

Gassho,

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Alas, not all scientific reports are happy ones. All things are impermanent, including our planet ... but no need to rush things.

Cleaning this planet and preserving the environment can be as much Buddhist Practice as cleaning a Zendo floor or preserving a temple building. Saving beings, including ourselves, can come in many forms.

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho,
    I have probably shared this quote before. But it so well summarizes my experience and speaks to why the task requires much more than the tools science brings. Buddhism teachings matter
    9D4B87E0-2212-4AAF-AE60-98A35034B77E.jpeg

Gassho
    Doshin
    Stlah
    Last edited by Doshin; 05-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Doshin, what a sad and true quote.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    I have probably shared this quote before. But it so well summarizes my experience and speaks to why the task requires much more than the tools science brings. Buddhism teachings matter
    9D4B87E0-2212-4AAF-AE60-98A35034B77E.jpeg

Gassho
    Doshin
    Stlah
    In my book that I am presently writing, "Zen of the Future!" ... I take care of this problem. At least, I hope so. Future technologies adjusting human body and mind can perhaps deal with our selfishness, greed and apathy, spiritual and cultural transformation.

The "white-throated rail" had to wait for nature to take its course (twice) in evolution. Human beings no longer need wait nor depend on chance alone.

Gassho, J
    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-11-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Star in the Big Dipper is an alien invader

A star in the Big Dipper is an intergalactic alien, according to clues in its chemical fingerprints.

The star's unusual chemistry is unlike that of all known stars in the Milky Way and instead has more in common with stars in nearby dwarf galaxies, new research reveals.

Researchers suspected that the stellar oddball, named J1124+4535, originated in a dwarf galaxy that collided with the Milky Way long ago. According to that theory, when the dwarf galaxy fell apart, it stranded this star in our cosmic neighborhood.

The star was first discovered in the constellation Ursa Major in 2015, by the Large Sky Area Multi-Object Fiber Spectroscopic Telescope (LAMOST) in China. Higher-resolution images were captured in 2017 by the Subaru Telescope in Japan, the scientists reported April 29 in the journal Nature Astronomy.

Spectrum readings from the star revealed that it was low in metals such as magnesium but had unexpectedly high levels of the heavy element europium; an element ratio that was unique in comparison to other Milky Way stars, the researchers wrote.

Elements in stars reflect the composition of the dust and gas clouds where the star formed. Stars that are close neighbors are usually shaped by the same materials and therefore have similar chemical signatures. When a star stands out from a group, scientists look elsewhere to see where it might have been born.

Prior studies have found that the Milky Way formed by colliding with and absorbing smaller galaxies. Metal-poor stars such as J1124+4535 are common in dwarf galaxies orbiting the Milky Way today, the scientists reported.

Their analysis of J1124+4535 provides "the clearest chemical signature" yet of the ancient galaxy mergers that shaped the Milky Way billions of years ago, according to the study.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/a-st...-alien-invader
    Gassho, J

STLah

I can't wait to look at it tonight!

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Is it engaging in anger and violence even when the victim is made of silicone and chips?

These days, we have "shoot em up" video games that are socially acceptable (I am not such a fan even of those). But how about taking it a step further, to actually acting out the violence on a humanoid object? This leaves me with an unpleasant feeling. Hmmm.

These robots were built to be punched, stabbed and cursed. Here's why you might want to oblige them.
    The masochistic little bots are intended to help people process negative emotions, but some experts wonder if they might do just the opposite.

The research team, based at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, says the so-called “cathartic objects” are designed to be hit, stabbed, cursed and otherwise abused. The bots don’t complain or fight back, as seen in a video, but they do respond by flashing lights and flailing around.

Why should we take our anger out on robots? The researchers say it’s all about catharsis, the process by which people give full expression of their negative emotions as a way to curb them.

“Negative emotions are unpleasant, but they are necessary,” Michal Luria, a doctoral student in human-computer interaction at the university and leader of the team who created the robots, told NBC News MACH in an email. “I suggest that technology can help us channel our negative emotions in a healthier way, that doesn't hurt the people around us.”

Luria and her colleagues created four different prototype robots.

Object 1 is a moplike robot covered in black fabric that wiggles back and forth when poked with something sharp.

Object 3, the most humanlike, has a doll-like fabric body and a shock of blue hair. It provokes users with an irritating laugh until they pound it into submission.

If hauling off and hitting a helpless robot sounds as if it might encourage our sadistic tendencies, Luria says it’s just the opposite. In a paper describing the team’s research, which was presented May 5 at a human computer interaction conference in Glasgow, Scotland, she and her co-authors cite research linking expressions of anger to higher pain tolerance and better responses to being wronged.

... But Patrick Markey, a professor of psychological and brain sciences at Villanova University, isn't so sure. In an email to NBC News MACH, he called catharsis an outdated concept, adding that beating up a robot might make us feel more angry, not less.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...-s-ncna1005166
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-14-2019 at 02:03 AM.

I really like Grand Theft Auto and I also love movies like "Goodfellas," "John Wick" and "The Matrix." However, when there's violence or confrontation in my life, I feel ill. One time I tried to save a moth and ended up stepping on it after I thought it had flown away. I felt really sick about it for a couple of hours.

I guess my point is, I see no correlation in my life between my living behavior and some of my media choices. I don't think catharsis is what I am getting from playing a violent video game, which I guess is what they warn against in the article-- the catharsis that results from releasing pent up violence, which I don't think I receive in the slightest.

But everyone is different. There are some people I know who have talked about smashing their phones after an annoying phone call or destroying their computers after a bad round of Fortnite. Perhaps they are the kind of people who should stay away from violence as catharsis, or even those types of games.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

vDeepest ever dive finds plastic bag at bottom of Mariana Trench

An American undersea explorer has completed what is claimed to be the deepest manned sea dive ever recorded -- returning to the surface with the depressing news that there's plastic trash down there.

Victor Vescovo journeyed 10,927 meters (35,853 feet) to the bottom of the Challenger Deep , the southern end of the Pacific Ocean's Mariana Trench, as part of a mission to chart the world's deepest underwater places.

Making multiple trips nearly 11 kilometers, or seven miles, to the ocean floor -- one of them four hours in duration -- Vescovo set a record for the deepest solo dive in history, his team said. ...

As well as four new species that could offer clues about the origins of life on Earth, Vescovo observed a plastic bag and candy wrappers at the deepest point on the planet.

... Discoveries in the Challenge Deep included "vibrantly colorful" rocky outcrops that could be chemical deposits, prawn-like supergiant amphopods, and bottom-dwelling Holothurians, or sea cucumbers.

The team said its scientists were going to perform tests on the creatures found to determine the percentage of plastics found in them.

https://us.cnn.com/travel/article/vi...fic/index.html
    Gassho J

stlah

Hi guys,

I love action movies with guns, explosions and martial arts. I also play videogames where there is a lot of cartoony and dumb violence. But most of the times I tend to embrace peace, minimalism and calm. I also find joy in puzzle games and slice of life anime

But I am not a violent person at all and in my day to day I go about practicing the Dharma and teaching it to people. I guess it's how you want too relate to media violence and if you take it seriously.

Like Gaika said, everyone is different.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I identify with you, Geika and Kyonin. I also love different kinds of video games, movies and anime and have no problem with seing or playing violent ones, like the "Evangelion" anime and "Mortal Kombat" game. I also like peaceful and heart warming slice of lifes.

But I don't identify with violence off screen. I know many people in the game and anime community in Brazil who are also like this. So I don't think there is a correlation between games, movies, anime etc. and violent behaviour.

But beating up robots without any gaming or martial art training context is perhaps a little disturbing. There appears to be no point in it besides violence per se. With movies, animes games etc. the violence that appears is serving the plot or the objective (in case of game), which is not the case here with this robots.
    Don't know if I'm being coherent here or if my view has support on the current psychological researchs, but this is what I think.

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

This pangs me every time I hand out a plastic bag at work. I ask everyone, "Do you NEED a bag?" They almost always pause for a while, and then say, "Um... I don't know... yeah sure, just in case." One time, I watched one of these customers go outside, stand in the parking lot, eat the sandwich while holding the bag, and then come back inside and put it in the trash. Yeah, he really needed it.

I am seeing that plastic is a really hard habit to break. In fact as my engaged project, I have started really researching zero waste options and have been working on incorporating them into my life. Maybe I will start a thread about it where we can all share how we help to make our impact smaller...

Gassho

Sat today, lah

Edit: Not to mention the amount of plastic gloves I dispose of every day... I hate it. Been trying to get a job with Dr. Bronnor's soap that is nearby my house. They are a good company that cares about these things and their employees and I have been lurking their job page waiting for one I qualify for. Fingers crossed for me!
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post
    I identify with you, Geika and Kyonin. I also love different kinds of video games, movies and anime and have no problem with seing or playing violent ones, like the "Evangelion" anime and "Mortal Kombat" game. I also like peaceful and heart warming slice of lifes.

But I don't identify with violence off screen. I know many people in the game and anime community in Brazil who are also like this. So I don't think there is a correlation between games, movies, anime etc. and violent behaviour.

But beating up robots without any gaming or martial art training context is perhaps a little disturbing. There appears to be no point in it besides violence per se. With movies, animes games etc. the violence that appears is serving the plot or the objective (in case of game), which is not the case here with this robots.
    Don't know if I'm being coherent here or if my view has support on the current psychological researchs, but this is what I think.

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat
    Hmmm. That movie and TV series "Westworld" is kind of in between violence in games and violence directed at robots. I would not be surprised if something like that becomes more than SF very soon.

For those who may not know, Westworld involves a theme park in which people have gun battles and sword fights with hyper-realistic robot cowboys, samurai and the like. Of course, the human are supposed to always win ... until things go haywire!

I would say that the Precepts wisely guide us not to fall into and act on anger and violence. It is less serious if we just think it than act upon it, but we are still advised against anger and violence. So, I would say that it is less serious to kill a robot than to kill an actual sentient being (assuming the robots are not sentient beings ... open to question in Westworld). However, even if it is just directed at hitting a pillow or punching the wall, one should still avoid anger and violence as much as possible.

However, I don't think that playing a "shoot em up" video game is actually "violence" (honestly, I am not sure, but it may be no more violent than kids playing "cowboys" or chess or football. However, beating up a human shaped robot seems a different level of violence).

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-14-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Is it engaging in anger and violence even when the victim is made of silicone and chips?

These days, we have "shoot em up" video games that are socially acceptable (I am not such a fan even of those). But how about taking it a step further, to actually acting out the violence on a humanoid object? This leaves me with an unpleasant feeling. Hmmm.

Gassho, J

STLah

I laughed so hard, remembering the disgruntled talking cow from Hitchhikers Guide! https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Ameglian_Major_Cow

My favouritye games are the TotalWar series, whereby one commands an entire army and faction. I was uncomfortable with the level of violence i suddenly noticed (obviiously always there, racing Napoleon to the Top of the World), and became quite disturbed by it. I still play those games, but im relearning Chess and started on Go. My son is 8, and with his GrandMa right now due to hospital routines. We never let him play Fortnight, but now he has gotten good enough to be scouted for a "clan" of competitiors. Im proud of his achievment, critical of the game and very not-okay with theidea of a 8 year old playing competitive kill-games.

TLDR; Psych consensus is that violent content in games and media does not lead to more violent patients. This is different if the imagery and emotional content is divorced from context, however. That is why we need to be careful with what we comment on as funny in front of kids. Repeating aggressive physical actions are extremly dangerous, as we simply learn to give less time to teh space between "desire" and "action". Che Boddhis.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Jundo, you could state better what I wanted to say. Thank you.

Thank you, Getchi, for the explanation of the scientific consensus on the topic.

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today

Don't know where else to put this ... so ...

Space aliens are breeding with humans, university instructor says. Scientists say otherwise.
    Outlandish claim has a secret breeding program creating alien-human hybrids who can survive climate change.

[A]n instructor at the University of Oxford in England believes [alien] abductions are real. Young-hae Chi, who teaches Korean at the university, also claims to know what the aliens have in mind. In lectures given at the university, he says they're creating alien-human hybrids as a hedge against climate change. To support his unorthodox theory, Chi notes that for several decades the number of reported alien abductions has risen. He bases this statement on the work of David Jacobs, a retired Temple University historian who has published several books on ufology and who runs the International Center for Abduction Research.

The extraterrestrials are producing hybrids that can better withstand the rigors of a toastier planet. By producing a new model of Homo sapiens, this project would eliminate the need for difficult climate accords or elaborate geoengineering projects. It would also help the aliens themselves — who are said to be living among us — by preserving the part of their DNA that's carried by the temperature-tolerant hybrids. ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ay-ncna1008971
    Okay, then. Well, at least we have that going for us.

Gassho, J

STLah

I like conspiracies for their "Hmm, what if?" curiosity factor... but when it comes down to it, adopting green policies seems easier than a large-scale, secret alien hybrid program... Also, if those aliens made it to space, they probably figured out their own climate issues as well...

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

This seems like something that belongs here. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...rd/?redirect=1

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshin View Post
    This seems like something that belongs here. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...rd/?redirect=1

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

I caution that the word "quantum" is so very often misused by lay folks (especially New Age folks like Deeprocks Chopra), and not even the scientists who specialize in quantum mechanics truly understand or agree on the significance or meaning of quantum mechanics. That said, there is much in that article that Buddhists have been saying for thousands of years, and that is really just common sense:

To wit, I experience "my" experience of the universe (e.g., a tree I see), and you experience the tree your way, and both of those experiences exist largely between our respective ears. In fact, there is really no "beautiful green tree" out there apart from some vibrating atoms in a certain configuration which emits photons or a certain wavelength (let us assume there is something "out there" however). That is neither "green" nor "beautiful" nor even "a tree" until the photons enter the eye, get turned into electro-chemical signals which make their way to the brain, where a model of very subjective reality experiences, judges, categorizes and sorts all the data into the experience of "green," the judgement of "beautiful" and the image of a "tree" which is distinct from the "rock" next to where it sits. This is basic Buddhism 101, showing how we divide the world into pieces, choose and exclude data, and impose mental judgments on all of it (and why a significant part of Buddhist practice is to reverse the process in favor of wholeness and freedom from all those judgments).

Sorry to tell folks, but they have never actually "seen" or "touched" their cute cat or beloved spouse ... only a recreation of some "outside" event of some kind, largely painted between the ears. (That does not make it less beautiful, but realize that you are watching a virtual experience in your head of something that is not really quite like that. There is no "cute cat" or "spouse" without you to help make "cute" and "cat" and "spouse" There are no "delicious red" strawberries without your eye and tongue to interpret a certain chemical configuration we call "strawberry.") We only share common notions of "cat" and "strawberry" and maybe "delicious" or "red" (although much more "eye of the beholder") because we have nearly identical brain, eye and tongue structures, thus letting us communicate and agree more or less on what is a "cat" or a "strawberry." An alien with different senses or brain structure might not see a "strawberry," let alone think it tasty or even food. (My virtual spouse has an opinion on her virtual existence, but I only know these as sound vibrations emitted from her atoms. Fortunately, the atoms of her mouth related to the atoms of my ears, and we share common brain structures, so we can share the experience of her opinion and my nodding in agreement with her, this preventing my experience between my ears of her virtual anger. )

Einstein went on to show (like Dogen pointed out in his own way) that you and I, and each object and thing, is in its own individualized "being time." In other words, time is going at a certain speed for you, and a different speed for me based on my speed of travel and distance from a large mass, and also for every thing in the universe. We don't notice this in our conventional world because the differences are to small to be perceived, but it is true. (By the way, I just finished a marvelous book on Time by the physicist mentioned in the article, Carlo Rovelli, that I can recommend to everyone, and which seems very harmonious with fluid and "timeless" Buddhist/Dogeny views of time(s)).

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...rovelli-review

So, in a sense, you are in "your universe" and I am in "my universe" already, because your experience of things and time is not my experience of things and time, and the same for all things (especially sentient things) which are each in "their universe."

If some interpretations of quantum mechanics are true, as discussed in the article, then we actually each create our own phenomena "out there" in even more radical ways via our particular interactions with it. Yes, you really are helping to make "your tree" and "your strawberry" that is not really "my tree" and "my strawberry" because existing in different times, and with characteristics based on our interactions with it. Cool.

The article states:

One of the weirdest theoretical implications of quantum mechanics is that different observers can give different—though equally valid—accounts of the same sequence of events. As highlighted by physicist Carlo Rovelli in his relational quantum mechanics (RQM), this means that there should be no absolute, observer-independent physical quantities. All physical quantities—the whole physical universe—must be relative to the observer. The notion that we all share the same physical environment must, therefore, be an illusion. ... there may well be no objective physical world.

... What is really out there, underlying our perceptions, is constituted not by physical but by transpersonal mental states instead. Perceived physicality is merely a representation of that surrounding mental environment, brought into being by an act of observation. ...

... Over the past several years, Donald Hoffman’s group at the University of California, Irvine, has shown that our perceptual apparatus hasn’t evolved to represent the world truthfully, as it is in itself; if we saw the world as it really is, we would be swiftly driven to extinction. Instead, we see the world in a way that favors our survival, not the accuracy of our representations. In Hoffman’s analogy, the contents of perception are like icons on a computer desktop: a set of visual metaphors that facilitate one’s job by illustrating the salient properties of files and applications, but which don’t portray these files and application as they really are. ... What both of these lines of argument suggest is this: the screen of perception is much more akin to a dashboard than a window into the environment. It conveys relevant information about the environment in an indirect, encoded manner that helps us survive. The forms and colors we see, the sounds we hear, the flavors we taste are all like dials: they present to us, at a glance, information that correlates—in a manner fundamentally beyond our ability to cognize—with the mental states of the environment out there. ... The error we make is in mistaking the dials for the external environment itself.
    Yes, I am not one to say that Buddhism is always in accord with science, let alone ahead of science ... but in this case, maybe.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-28-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast