Thread: For Comment: New Ethics Committee Members (& Small Rule Adjustments)

For Comment: New Ethics Committee Members (& Small Rule Adjustments)

Dear All,

I am very content to say that, though we have an Ethics Committee standing by to receive and investigate any complaint, the system (as far as I know) has never been used or received a complaint. Nonethless, it is important to keep up to date. The procedures for any complaint state:

ANYONE WHO WISHES TO RAISE A COMPLAINT OF AN ETHICAL VIOLATION AT ANY TIME WILL BE FREE TO DUE SO simply by (1) posting a complaint in this thread (our "Ethics Complaint Box") for public discussion by the Committee Membership --and by-- the total membership of this Sangha right here on this Forum or (2) for a confidential matter, writing to one or more of the members of the Ethics Committee, requesting them to, individually or as a group, confidentially investigate and attempt to resolve the situation.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...plaint-Box-%29

Taigu (despite my encouragement for him to stay should he wish) has said he would like to step down from our Ethics Committee accompanying his focus on Blue Mountain. So, it was suggested by some of our long time members who were consulted that Willow (Paula Burns) and Meishin (John Hesley) would be good on the committee as they are both trained and licensed mental health professionals with long experience in handling sensitive situations, people in crisis and confidentiality. These names were approved by consensus among the priests and several long time members of this community consulted on these candidates. I am happy to say that both Willow and Meishin have agreed to serve if the Sangha consents. The other members of the committee will remain the same, and are being notified of this discussion and election.

According to our procedures for approval, given the primarily online nature of our Sangha in which the conducting of an election of the total membership will be difficult, their names will be posted here in this thread as candidates, and they will be deemed approved unless there are objections raised by 10 or more Sangha members.

Likewise, because of Taigu's departure, I would like to make the following adjustments to the Ethics Rules & Procedures, which will be deemed approved in like manner.

The current sentences:

Ethics Committee:

A committee consisting of all fully ordained priests of the Sangha, two general members and one independent outside member shall be established. Given the primarily online nature of our Sangha in which the conducting of an election of the total membership will be difficult, the two general members and one outside member will be nominated by the ordained priests and appointed to the committee unless written complaints regarding an appointment are received from any ten (10) or more general members requesting that the person not be appointed, in which case the person will not be elligible for membership on the committee.
    ... will be changed to:

Ethics Committee:

A committee consisting of all fully ordained priests of the Sangha (currently Jundo), two or more general members and one or more independent outside members shall be established. Given the primarily online nature of our Sangha in which the conducting of an election of the total membership will be difficult, the general members and outside members will be nominated by the ordained priest or priests in consultation with the other Sangha priests, current members of the committee and several long time members of this community. Once consensus about the prospective members has been reached in this group, the candidates will be presented to the Sangha, and appointed to the committee unless written complaints regarding an appointment are received within one week from name posting in our Forum from any ten (10) or more general members requesting that the person not be appointed, in which case the person will not be eligible for membership on the committee.
    If any member of our Sangha has an objection to these candidates or changes, please post them publicly in this thread, or contact Jundo privately to express so.

Thank you,

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-13-2015 at 02:47 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Nindo
    Wonderful to have Willow and Meishin join the team (which hopefully will never be needed).

May I suggest the following text changes for clarity, grammar and spelling reasons:

Ethics Committee:

A committee consisting of all fully ordained priests of the Sangha (currently Jundo), two or more general members and one or more independent outside members shall be established. Given the primarily online nature of our Sangha in which the conducting of an election of the total membership will be difficult, the general members and outside members will be nominated by the ordained priest or priests in consultation with the other Sangha priests, current members of the committee and several long time members of this community. Once consensus about the prospective members has been reached in this group, the candidates will be presented to the Sangha, and appointed to the committee unless written complaints regarding an appointment are received from any ten (10) or more general members requesting that the person not be appointed, in which case the person will not be eligible for membership on the committee.
    Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

I am so happy we have qualified individuals who are capable of helping the Zendo. It makes me feel secure knowing that they can work with situations where sensitive and caring people are needed for who can predict the future, and who would know how to serve in these situations. Thank you for being willing to help, and this is a good idea.

Elgwyn
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Willow and Meishin, thank you for your willingness to serve. Thank you Jundo for keeping these kinds of structures in place for the sangha. Thank you all for your presence and practice.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Hello everyone,

Thank you Willow and Meishin for taking on this important role, wonderful. I am thankful for you both and your dedication to this practice. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sattoday

Thank you both for your service to the sangha. It is much appreciated.

Kokuu
    #sattoday

Two wonderful choices for this committee; Congratulations to both Willow and Meishin

gassho

#Sattodayd%
    Last edited by Shokai; 02-13-2015 at 01:59 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Willow and Meishin.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Joyo
    Thank you both Willow and Meishin for your practice and service here.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sattoday

Yes, many thanks for your practice and your service!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Kyotai
    Thanks to all.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Wonderful to have Willow and Meishin join the team (which hopefully will never be needed).

May I suggest the following text changes for clarity, grammar and spelling reasons:

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday
    Hi Nindo,

That is good and says the same in a clearer way. I will put your words for approval by the Sangha instead, with a small change to add a one week window on voting.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-13-2015 at 02:45 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks all for your practice and service.

Gassho,
    Daiyo.

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Cool!

Gassho
    Meikyo
    SAT TODAY!
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Excellent! I have no complaints or suggestions.

Gassho, John
    Sat Today

Wonderful, thank you all

gassho

#Sat today
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I am happy to serve by not serving.

Seishin Kyrill