Thread: What Is This?

What Is This?

There've been a few tacit, simple and yet profound moments lately that I'm not sure what to make of. Sometimes things just kinda click. Birds flying off a telephone wire, a lamp post reflecting off of an icy road, a snow flake falling on a glove, a footstep on the garage floor. These things seem to inspire something. Can only describe it as "-Ing." The ungraspable -ing of things. Like movING, breathING, reflectING, flowING that is utterly Whole and complete. Anyone else experienced such or have any insight on the matter?

Gassho, John
    Sat Today

When a drop of water falls in the ocean,
    When a speck of dust falls on the ground,
    At that moment the drop of water is no longer a drop of water,
    It becomes the ocean,
    And the speck of dust is no longer a speck of dust,
    It becomes the entire earth.

- Kodo Sawaki

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Joyo
    Yes, and then I let go of that "ungrasping of things."

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    There've been a few tacit, simple and yet profound moments lately that I'm not sure what to make of. Sometimes things just kinda click. Birds flying off a telephone wire, a lamp post reflecting off of an icy road, a snow flake falling on a glove, a footstep on the garage floor. These things seem to inspire something. Can only describe it as "-Ing." The ungraspable -ing of things. Like movING, breathING, reflectING, flowING that is utterly Whole and complete. Anyone else experienced such or have any insight on the matter?

Gassho, John
    Sat Today
    Yes, yes, all profound. Each a shining jewel embodying all time and space. Lovely. Happens to me many times a day. Cherish such moments of Dharma.

Now, that being said, take out the trash, scratch your nose, fart, see the rusty tin can on the side of the highway, bump your knee on the chair, read a magazine at the dentist waiting room. Each a shining jewel embodying all space and time. Cherish such moments of Dharma.

In our way, the most "ordinary" is a miracle, anything but "ordinary" when tasted such.

Cherish each as a jewel then, as Joyo teaches so clearly, let go of that "ungrasping of things."

Lovely.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-11-2015 at 02:25 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    Very nice ... thank you all. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Thank you all, deepest bows The ordinary things indeed. And letting go of ungrasping... my mind is officially blown haha.

Gassho, John
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Myosha View Post
    When a drop of water falls in the ocean,
    When a speck of dust falls on the ground,
    At that moment the drop of water is no longer a drop of water,
    It becomes the ocean,
    And the speck of dust is no longer a speck of dust,
    It becomes the entire earth.

- Kodo Sawaki

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    That is gorgeous. Thank you Myosha!

Gassho, John
    Sat Today

Kyogen was a disciple of Kyozan. He studied under Isan for a while but, failing to attain awakening, he left and went to Nanyang, where he lived a solitary existence in a hut in the forest.

One day he was sweeping the ground, a stone struck the bamboo.
    Kyogen stood speechless, forgetting himself for a while, then burst into loud laughter.

Kokuu
    #sattoday

Lovely response Myosha. These moments are IT. Gassho.
    Heisoku Sat today.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Hi John,

Yeah. All the time. I call it "-ness" instead of "-ing" ... but I believe it's the same thing.

What Is This? Only the coolest thread ever. Bows to the wisdom and insight here.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

Gassho, John
    Sat Today
    Almost certainly. Then gone as soon as a flash as this realization reaches my consciousness.

Gassho,

Simon.

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    Really like that. Thanks for that.

Gassho,
    Alan
    sattoday
    Shōmon

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, Chinese take out and Twitter." ~Roshi So @quietmountain

😊😎😍
    Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Today I saw it in a single leaf tumbling with the wind.

Ansan
    How very beautiful all these posts are and so inspirational. Gassho to all.

I try to let go of moments like this but I am still "grasping" and holding onto to them because they feel so wonderful. A couple of days ago, I awoke to the "now" and walked outside and everything was in sharp focus, warm and crystal. I could see the small stones in the ground intermingling with the earth and the leaves stigmata opening to the sun, and I belonged to everything and walked with the lizards as I was one of them. Then as the day moved ahead and I began my daily chores, I found myself holding on to those moments of wonder and knew I had returned to my own delusions. I proceeded to clean out the kitty litter box and participated in the everyday things as much as I could without dwelling too much. And sat. Letting go of letting go.

Gassho
    Ansan

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Ansan View Post
    How very beautiful all these posts are and so inspirational. Gassho to all.

I try to let go of moments like this but I am still "grasping" and holding onto to them because they feel so wonderful. A couple of days ago, I awoke to the "now" and walked outside and everything was in sharp focus, warm and crystal. I could see the small stones in the ground intermingling with the earth and the leaves stigmata opening to the sun, and I belonged to everything and walked with the lizards as I was one of them. Then as the day moved ahead and I began my daily chores, I found myself holding on to those moments of wonder and knew I had returned to my own delusions. I proceeded to clean out the kitty litter box and participated in the everyday things as much as I could without dwelling too much. And sat. Letting go of letting go.

Gassho
    Ansan

SatToday
    The wonder and sharp, warm, crystal focus is just as present in the kitty litter. It is merely our delusions which hide it so.

Those moments of belonging everything and everything belonging are wondrous and vital to this path. I (for want of a better pronoun) cherish such too. It is just that we should not cling to them, or come to think of them "there" but not "right here".

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Ansan

Ansan

SatToday

Wonderful.

And these are the things as they actually are. Wonderful!

Plastic bag bonus.

Bows
    Meikyo
    SAT TODAY!
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Hi.

Yes this has been happening to me quite often in the last few years. This sense of sacredness in all the small crevices of life.

It's all whole and complete. It's all there and we tend to ignore it because we are busy riding the ego.

It only takes a couple of breaths to realize how wonderful the Cosmos is.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    It is just that we should not cling to them, or come to think of them "there" but not "right here."
    Thank you everyone for your responses. This has been a very helpful and beautiful thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post

It's all whole and complete. It's all there and we tend to ignore it because we are busy riding the ego.

It only takes a couple of breaths to realize how wonderful the Cosmos is.
    Yes indeed.

Gassho, John
    Sat Today

What Is This?

This morning I looked out over my frost sprinkled garden.

Thank you for this wonderful thread.

Gassho

Ongen / Vincent

sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

What Is This?

Thank you for the lesson

..sat2day•