Thread: February 7th, 2015 - SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" 4-hour ZAZENKAI! (w/ SPECIAL START TIME!)

February 7th, 2015 - SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" 4-hour ZAZENKAI! (w/ SPECIAL START TIME!)

==============
    NOTE THE SPECIAL START TIMES!

WELCOME to our Memorial & Celebration of NEHAN-E, (Pari-Nirvana) the traditional day to mark the historical Buddha's death and passing from this visible world. This is also a day for each of us to remember in our homes those family and friends who have gone before. As well, we mark the passing of Nishijima Gudo Wafu one year ago.

Today's 4-Hour Zazenkai is guided by Fugen live from Sweden this Saturday, February 7th. That will be commence at a SPECIAL TIME, netcast LIVE starting from 15.00 (3pm) Sweden Time, which is London 2pm, Paris 3pm, Los Angeles 6am, New York 9am, Japan 11pm.

During this Zazenkai, we will commence with SPECIAL CHANTS & a CEREMONY to recall our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed. (SEE SPECIAL CHANTS ANC CEREMONY CONTENT BELOW IN THIS THREAD).[/B] We recall (as appropriate to each family) our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed. As mentioned, our Memorial is also in honor of Master Nishijima.

The Zazenkai visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

To mark this time, our Ceremony at the start of the Zazenkai will include a chanting of “The Verse of Homage to Buddha's Relics, Shariraimon” and Heart Sutra in Chinese-Japanese (to mark our "roots"). Words and details are HERE, please print out if you wish. After that, we will celebrate the Buddha (and Master Nishijima) in the way most vital to each ... with Zazen.

Our sitting schedule for the 4-hour gathering will be as follows ...

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (SHARIRAIMON in ENGLISH / HEART SUTRA in JAPANESE) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:40 KINHIN

01:40 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK by Fugen & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

For this special Zazenkai, a statue of the reclining ‘Buddha Entering Parinirvana’ will be given special prominence on the Altar, as will a portrait of our late Teacher, Master Nishijima.

As always, we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Last edited by Tb; 02-07-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Hi.

For those who want to read ahead, i will be speaking around the "Hachi-dainingaku"- "eight awakenings of great beings", fascicle 95 of the shobogenzo.

It can be found online at different locations but i recommend the Tanahashi version and the Nishijima version as they are both good and online.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Thank you Fugen,

I will be there live and have the Nishijima version of the Shobogenzo ... will read up. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

I'll be there two way I hope, one way if not, anyway anyway.
    Looking forward to it, thank you.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

I'd love to participate ... I'm not sure when/how to bow, gassho, etc. is there in info on the site for this somewhere? Any other of those type of things one needs to know?
    Is it "OK" to follow, muted, even when not getting things quite right?
    thanks,
    Rodney SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I'd love to participate ... I'm not sure when/how to bow, gassho, etc. is there in info on the site for this somewhere? Any other of those type of things one needs to know?
    Is it "OK" to follow, muted, even when not getting things quite right?
    thanks,
    Rodney SatToday
    Hello Rodney,

A couple of things ...

1. Have you registered with Google Hangouts yet? If not, here is some information in doing so.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...E-for-Zazenkai

2. If you want to follow along with the chanting, here is our chant book.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...t-Book-is-Here

3. As for bowing and such, please just follow along with what the rest of the folks are doing ... this is a great way to learn. =)

4. If we are participating in the zazenkai, everyone has their mics muted except for Jundo and the Ino/Doan (person chanting). But once zazen starts, Jundo always has his mic on and the rest of us are muted. You can always watch one way (not joined into the zazenaki), which is just watching the live video feed (which will be posted here on this thread by Jundo). Either way is up to you. =)

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any questions. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Pefect, Shingen, I think I'm all set. Yup, all registered with Hangouts. Thank you so much!
    Gassho

Rodney -> SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Pefect, Shingen, I think I'm all set. Yup, all registered with Hangouts. Thank you so much!
    Gassho

Rodney -> SatToday
    Excellent, I also verified that you are part of the group ... then when the zazenkai starts you will get a notification. If you choose to join live, then click the "Join Hangout" button, accept the terms, and you are good to go. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

OK good, makes sense. I'm very much looking forward to my first live Zazenkai with Treeleaf Sangha! Well not too much looking forward in a hope/attachment/craving sort of way tee hee.
    RodneySatToday

Thank you Fugen. If there is still room in the hangout I will be live.

Gassho,
    Shoka

Sat Today

Fugen
    I am so happy you are guiding this service!

Unfortunately I will be at work so cannot join you live. Will sit this afterward.

Thank you and
    Gassho
    Yugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Fugen

Thank you for leading this. I plan on being there one way.

Btw, in the Tanahashi Shobogenzo, that fascicle is #84.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Participating.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Just got back from overseas after midnight and thought I was going to miss it until I saw the timings! Hope to see you all there tonight (my time!)

Gassho,

Bryson

​sat today

Thanks Fugen, Dosho & everyone!

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Thank you, Fugen. Great Zazenkai.

It was lovely spending the afternoon with you all.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Thanks Fugen & everyone who sat/will sit. I hope you feel better soon, Fugen!

I'd like to dedicate the Zazankai to my Grandparents, Iris & Alfred; to my friend, colleague & patient Sarah; and to all the brave patients that I have had the privilege of looking after, who have lost their battles with cancer.

_/\_
    Ade
    Sat today

Wonderful dedication and zazenkai Fugen. Thank you for sitting everyone, enjoy your day. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you all, and Fugen very much.
    I hope you feel better soon.
    Though, I should have raised the question if one can ever have too much tea...
    Without assistant, making one now.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Thank you very much to Fugen, Dosho and everyone. Also much thanks to Fugen's assistant.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Sat Today

Though, I should have raised the question if one can ever have too much tea...
    The thought occurred to me too, Danny! With his pointed mention of having too much tea and too many books I rather felt picked on!

Gassho
    Kokuu

If a thought of having too much tea or too many books arises and is noticed, simply let it pass through
    Gassho
    Rodney sattoday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banto (aka Rodney)
    万磴 (Myriad StoneSteps)

Thankyou Dosho, Fugen and sangha.

Daizan
    sat today

and too many books
    Well, this part made me worry a bit about Fugen.
    He does not sell tea, do you?
    And I tend to buy the same tea more often than the same book.

Now I know why there's a bookshop here nearby selling books and coffee.
    Must be a Buddhist.
    Right before all kitchen walls are covered in books, one can still stay a customer there.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Sitting this now. Gassho, Matt

Thank you Fugen,

Willow

Sat today

Thank you very much

Gassho
    Meishin
    Sat today

Just lovely
    Thank you dear Sangha!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thankyou Fugen and all who sat or will sit.
    gassho
    合掌 仁道 生開 - gassho, Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    日々是好日 【nichi nichi korego nichi】Every Day is a Good Day!!

Thank you all
    gassho
    sat today

Just sat this one.

Thank you Fugen, nice talk!

Gassho,
    Daiyo.

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Sat with some of this tonight and listened to the talk... thank you Fugen, I enjoyed this and learned a lot! And thanks to Kokuu for starting his thread on the eight awakenings that led me here.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    She/her.
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).