Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY with MUHO NOELKE, Abbot of Antaiji

Announcement: Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY with MUHO NOELKE, Abbot of Antaiji

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that MUHO NOELKE, Abbot of Antaiji temple and training center in Japan, will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SUNDAY JANUARY 25th, LIVE from his temple and Treeleeaf Tsukuba. For those who do not know, Antaiji is the temple of the great Shikantaza teachers, 'Homeless' Kodo Sawaki and Kosho Uchiyama Roshis.

Muho has an interesting story himself, as a German born monk, one of the few (only?) foreign monks to head a Soto Zen temple and training center in Japan. Before that, he trained at monasteries in Japan, then lived for many months as a homeless monk in a park in central Osaka, Japan, where he led a zazen group. (Other noted Teachers associated with the Sawaki-Uchiyama line have been known to lead such groups living in public parks). Since 2002, he has been the Abbot of Antaiji, where hundreds of foreigners and Japanese, seeking hard and dedicated practice, have come through the years. Practice at Antaiji, snowed in part of the year in distant Hyogo Prefecture, is not easy, and the temple is famous for its long hours of Zazen sitting, farm labor in the vegetable fields, and more sitting, with little emphasis on ceremony, talk and the like. A typical sitting schedule during their 9 days of monthly Sesshin looks like this (with 45 minute sittings of Zazen punctuated with 15 minutes of Kinhin) ...

4am to 9am Zazen
    9am Breakfast
    10am to 3pm Zazen
    3pm Lunch
    4pm to 9pm Zazen
    9pm Lights out

http://antaiji.org/?page_id=4877&lang=en
    They still rise before 4am on "regular" non-Sesshin days, simply adding in hours of field work and other labor. It really is cut off from the world when the snows hit, like this from last winter (By the way, he lives there with his wife and three kids!) ... a fast Kinhin around the Zendo ...

Now, our Treeleaf Zazenkai will be, well, just a little bit easier than that. Our sitting schedule will look like this ... perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a little Kinhin, a Talk by Muho for 25 minutes or so, and some Questions from our participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes or so.

The festivities will begin at 9pm Japan time Sunday (that is New York 7am, Los Angeles 4am, London Noon and Paris 1pm, all Sunday January, 25th). Muho and I apologize that the hour is a bit early for those on the North American West Coast (you will also need to rise before 4am), but I could not ask a man who gets about at 3:30am every morning to lose more sleep. He is already very generous to schedule this in what is really the middle of the night for him!

If you would like to read more about Muho, here is a good interview with him ...

To get up 3:30 clock to sit motionless to 13 hours on a pillow, hard work outdoors, in hot and humid summer and cold winter: Is this hell? Is it luck? It is every day life – for Muho, the German abbot of the Japanese Zen monastery Antaiji ... Antaiji means temple of peace. But who looks here for a peace that rests in idle contemplation, will not find it. “Our Zen practice follows the motto: “A day without work is a day without food”, writes Muho, the abbot of the monastery, and continues: “For us it’s not a question of first change the world around us: we must begin with the revolution within ourselves.

This means hard work of plowing in spring, mowing in the heat of summer, harvest in the rain and mud of fall and lots of snow in winter, which cuts off the temple from the outside world. This is no form of asceticism, but the plain, original form of Zen life”, writes Muho, “However, self sufficiency is for us no goal in itself: it only serves to support our practice of Zazen.”

http://maymagazine.eu/en/happiness-2...-to-happiness/
    I would like to fill our hangout and show him a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please PM me (Jundo). It will be worth your time.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - They live almost exclusively by donations at Antaiji, no small expense in maintaining such a place. So, I am going to ask all our Treeleaf members who benefit from Muho's visit (not only the folks joining live, but those who will sit later or just listen to his words), to offer a donation for their upkeep there (if you can afford) It is a special place. Here is the link.

http://antaiji.org/?page_id=8418&lang=en
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-20-2015 at 06:28 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Kyotai
    Thank you, will take a look at my schedule and see if I can sit live.

Gassho, Shawn
    Sat today

Mp
    Wonderful Jundo, thank you ... I will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Just about to sit

Looking forward to this....

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Yugen
    I will be honored to attend live.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be there live, sounds like a wonderful opportunity for all.
    Gassho
    Ishin

Sat Today

Hi.

Will also be honored to attend live. Have sent PM.

Gassho
    Meikyo
    SAT TODAY!
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

This is really great.
    Thanks Jundo.

I don't think i'll be able to be here live, but i will try.

If not, i hope we will be able to watch it later !

Gassho,

Ugrok,
    sat today

UPDATE:

Because I have some Japanese folks in Tsukuba writing me to attend Zazen this week, I will likely ALSO schedule our regular Friday-Saturday Zazenkai the day before (at the usual time). I need to change a personal commitment, but it is now likely we will ALSO have Zazenkai then. I hope some of you can attend if so.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

This is awesome! I will be sitting non-live, recorded

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Unless I have my children, I would very much like this opportunity to attend live.

Arthur Braverman's book 'Living and Dying in Zazen' gave me great respect for Antaiji and all those who have practiced there. Offering donations is a great idea.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Mp
    Sounds good Jundo ... thank you for the update. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Thanks, Jundo, for inviting Muho. I will PM you to be there live. And glad to be there Fri/Sat regular zazenkai too.
    _/\_ Shinzan
    sattoday

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Lovely! Thank you for arranging this Jundo. I will definitely attend Muho's Zazenkai (PM sent separately), and will try to make Friday as well (will be on the road, but hope to be back by the usual time).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Great! I might be able to sit my first live Zazenkai!

_/\_
    Ade

Sat today

Thank you so much for this Jundo.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend because I will be on holidays with little or no internet access these days.
    I'm so sad I can not attend live, but will sure sit the zazenkai as soon as I can.

Gassho,
    Daiyo / Walter

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Hi Jundo,

thank you for the invitation. I will be there, if you need more people life. (The time is really comfortable )
    So, just if there is a place.

Gassho,Ernst
    Sat today

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo, I will be there live with Muho. I'll send you a pm to let you know as well.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I might be busy at the time of the sitting. But like other times I will sit to the video when school allows. Some day I with join the rest of us live, but for today school is important.

Gassho
    James
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for arranging this, Jundo. Count me in, if there's still room (pm sent).

sat_/\_today

I should be here for both events.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Hi Jundo,

Sadly I can't attend for Sunday morning since I'm having people visiting me from outside town. But Ill be there on Friday.

I'll sit with Muho later next week

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

That's awesome, really looking forward to this zazenkai with Muho (of course, in a totally unattached way )!

I will try to attend live via webcam, but since it is late in Germany I cannot guarantee 100%, as I might be to tired...
    So it would be best to put me on the waiting list, in case there are not enough participants live - am about to send PM.

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

UPDATE:

I may have to draw names on this one out of the Buddha Bowl. We only have 8 seats that I am sure about

(I do not know if there is a way to open a second Hangout in this case, although I am thinking about it and may have a way. It will involve the second group "split screening" their browser, watching "one way" the live netcast on one screen, while simultaneously netcasting into the added hangout on the second screen. I would recommend this only for people with late model and strong computers, and a strong internet connections/bandwidth. If you feel you are a person who would like to attend, are familiar with Google+, have a reliable computer and good internet connection, please write me. I will add you to the experimental second group ... but with no guaranty. PM with the header "STRONG INTERNET" if you want to try).

I hope that we might employ some of your kind financial donations to acquire a video conferencing system for the future where we can invite more than a small group at a time. I apologize that, for now, we are still limited.

Gassho, Jundo

I am happy to wait "on standby" if the hangout is full.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Daitetsu View Post
    That's awesome, really looking forward to this zazenkai with Muho (of course, in a totally unattached way )!

I will try to attend live via webcam, but since it is late in Germany I cannot guarantee 100%, as I might be to tired...
    So it would be best to put me on the waiting list, in case there are not enough participants live - am about to send PM.

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    Hi Daitetsu, are you sure you got the time right? It's 1pm in the afternoon in Germany.

Gassho, Nindo

Hi Nindo,

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Hi Daitetsu, are you sure you got the time right? It's 1pm in the afternoon in Germany.
    Oh! For some reason I read AM instead of PM (probably it's because this is the usual zazenkai time)!
    Thanks a lot for the info, Nindo!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    Last edited by Daitetsu; 01-20-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    no thing needs to be added

Participating.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi Jundo and friends,
    Thank you for the invitation
    I am really interested in participating in this and every zazenkai, but as I talked to Shingen, I am not familiarized with this Google + technology. In general I am not prone to participate in virtual social networks (In fact, I don´t have participation in FB, G+, TW, LE or any of them) but I am recognizing the value of this mean of communication and I will see what can I do for the future.
    Gassho
    Miguel
    #Sat Today

Announcement: Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY with MUHO NOELKE, Abbot of Antaiji

I am confused. When is Zazenkai?

I am not sure if I will be able to make it for Muho. If something changes, I can try the split screen thing.

..sat2day•

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I am confused. When is Zazenkai?
    Hi Troy,

"Zazenkai" is a formal Zazen sitting, such as the one I guide each week and others hold at various times ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...ENKAI-NETCASTS

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Troy,

"Zazenkai" is a formal Zazen sitting, such as the one I guide each week and others hold at various times ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...ENKAI-NETCASTS

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Thanks Jundo. My question though is when Zazenkai is going to be this week. It sounded like the time may have changed? I usually can not make the Friday one because of work, but if it is a different day this week, I might be able to be there.

..sat2day•

Hi Troy,

The Friday-Saturday Zazenkai will be at the usual time. The Sunday Zazenkai with Muho is in addition. Be there or be square.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Be there or be square.
    Interesting. Didn't know that expression. This let me learn about some beautiful spiders.
    So one is bound to be there? Bound beautifully, or with bloody fingertips. Dangerous joro beasts

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

I'll work on being there in observation only as I don't have a webcam.

Gassho,
    Paul

Sat

Hi there,

Will be away on a volunteer photo shoot for a YMCA camp-out. (Good way to find lots of volunteer opportunities is to let it be known that you do something they need....) So will sit with this later. Thank you.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Looks like I will be there and not square after all

..sat2day•

Hi Everyone,

I have seat assignments in Hangouts for Sunday. It looks like we may get almost everybody in!

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout which will be on the Treeleaf Google Plus (LINK). A few people, however, are on STANDBY for that group. The "STANDBY" folks should not try to come UNTIL I ANNOUNCE & REQUEST PEOPLE ON STANDBY IN CASE THERE ARE SEATS REMAINING at netcast start time. After that, IF there are still seats open before Muho's Talk, PRIESTS can come in last during Kinhin when I call for "Priests".

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT, AND TRY TO SEND OUT INVITATIONS ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure Muho has gotten there. We practiced once, so Muho knows what to do).

The people for this group are:

Daizan
    Ishin
    Meikyo
    Kokuu
    Shinzan
    Adrian
    Joyo
    Meredith
    Jundo
    Muho

Daitetsu (Standby)
    Sekishi (Standby)
    Troy (Standby)
    Simon (Standby)

Priests (on Double-Standby): Shingen, Yugen, Dosho, Shokai, Shugen (first come basis)

We will also have an experimental second Hangout on our "Jukai 1" page (LINK). What I will do is run that on a second computer, with a separate internet connection and try to position the camera so that it shows the other computer showing Muho (don't try to figure that out, you'll see what I mean). It may not work, and I apologize if not. However, the people in there are Daitetsu, Sekishi, Troy, Simon and all Priests (Shingen, Yugen, Dosho, Shokai, Shugen). You may enter at any time, I will try to send invites about 15 minutes before Zazenkai begins.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to Muho from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf@gmail.com) any question to Muho, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

I hope that is all clear as mud!

Did I miss anyone?

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-23-2015 at 05:26 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo ... crystal clear mud. =) Waiting on standby.

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Thank you Jundo ... crystal clear mud. =) Waiting on standby.
    Existing in muddy water, with purity like a lotus!

Thank you for working on the details for this Jundo (technical and otherwise).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday

I wake up early sometimes, if I do, I'll be sitting live. Most likely be sitting later that morning, though. Thank you for organizing this, Jundo and Muho, and all.

Gassho

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Gassho,

#sattoday

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

I will definitely attend the recorded sitting and would like to be considered on the standby list if there is still room.

Gassho,

Simon.

Sat today

I read the interview and Muho seems to be the kind of people that there exists one in a million. Thank you so much Jundo for the possibility to hear him in this way.
    Gassho
    Miguel
    #Sat Today

I would like to attend two way if room becomes available

..sat2day•

Troy and Simon,

I will add you as "standby" for the main Treeleaf group, and also add you to the experimental group.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    What I will do is run that on a second computer, with a separate internet connection and try to position the camera so that it shows the other computer showing Muho (don't try to figure that out, you'll see what I mean).
    I tried to figure this out at home and came up with this.... infinite screens.jpg

Gassho
    Daizan

sattoday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    I tried to figure this out at home and came up with this.... infinite screens.jpg

Gassho
    Daizan

sattoday
    The boundless gates of Zen ... The new Dr Who series. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday

very cool. I'll view the recorded version since all seats are taken....plus my netbook is iffy in these live events....don't want to be the "empty black square" Lol
    -Nandi/ sat today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast