Thread: Brother Brad on CNN

Brother Brad on CNN

Hi all,

Brother Brad was on CNN today offering his take on Chinese Buddhist funeral ceremonies:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/01...in-officer.cnn

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Mp
    Thanks Dosho .... I saw Brad talking about it on Facebook, nice to see the video. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat today

Odd to me that they'd interview an American Zen practitioner about the burial of a Chinese-American Buddhist, and not someone from the deceased's own tradition...(?) Odd also to see Mr. Warner in his koromo and o-kesa; I understand he normally shuns such 'props'...

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Bryson Keenan View Post
    Odd to me that they'd interview an American Zen practitioner about the burial of a Chinese-American Buddhis ...
    Yes, well, maybe a little bit like asking Rabbi Schlomo how to perform a Catholic Mass perhaps? There are significant cultural and traditional differences, and a US born Japanese Lineage Priest would not be my first choice to comment on an Orthodox Chinese funeral. I suppose that CNN could not find any English speaking Chinese Tradition priests?

This is not about Brad, by the way. Brad did well under the circumstances, and obviously did his homework beforehand to find out about the Chinese Traditions, and his answers sound perfectly Kosher to me (as a fellow outsider however).

Hmmm ... Maybe Brad should have pointed them to someone in that Tradition? Maybe this does show something of how little understanding of Buddhism and its various flavors there is in mainstream society and media still?

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-05-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, well, maybe a little bit like asking Rabbi Schlomo how to perform a Catholic Mass perhaps? There are significant cultural and traditional differences, and a US born Japanese Lineage Priest would not be my first choice to comment on an Orthodox Chinese funeral. I suppose that CNN could not find any English speaking Chinese Tradition priests?

This is not about Brad, by the way. Brad did well under the circumstances, and obviously did his homework beforehand to find out about the Chinese Traditions, and his answers sound perfectly Kosher to me (as a fellow outsider however).

Hmmm ... Maybe Brad should have pointed them to someone in that Tradition? Maybe this does show something of how little understanding of Buddhism and its various flavors there is in mainstream society and media still?

Gassho, J

SatToday

I also thought he did well, under the circumstances; I was of course questioning CNN's decision-making process, rather than his performance... Maybe he was the only entry under 'B for Buddhist' in their phone directory...

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-05-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Hi Bryson,

I had the same exact thoughts as I watched the video. What, Richard Gere was not available? Agree, they should have gotten someone from the Chinese tradition. Little bit of a flavor there of, "Chinese, Japanese, what's the difference" that I don't appreciate. Also surprised he would not redirect them to someone more appropriate. But I thought Brother Brad performed pretty well at summarizing things for a sound bite.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Hello,

Distinctions are good fun.

"This . . . that?"

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 01-05-2015 at 07:47 AM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I want to be clear that there is something of this Way which Transcends fully China, Japan or New York, Mars or or the furthest star ... big and small, now and then and all the rest ...

... and yet ...

China is not Japan is not America, and the wonder of this universe is that it flowers in 10,000 10,0000 varied colors and flavors. Cultures and traditions are so.

Nonetheless, there is that which sweeps away and right through all differences.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-05-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Well we know he did his research as indicated by his Facebook status on the previous day.
    "Anyone who knows about contemporary Chinese Buddhism or regularly reads Chinese news sources, please PM me. Thanks!"

I think he did a good job and was very respectful. i would note that he does wear his "props", but only when he finds it appropriate to do so. I believe this was as appropriate as any.

Sat Today,

Daijo (Jinzan)

It was good to see Brad for a bit, even if he was talking about the Chinese tradition.

Thanks Dosho!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍