Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taigu's Dharma transmission

Nindo

Taigu's Dharma transmission

Myozan and Dainin received Dharma transmission from Taigu yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/bluemountainhermitage

Wonderful!
    Gassho,
    Nindo

sattoday

That is good news.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 01-01-2015 at 12:22 AM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Wonderful news, thank you for sharing Nindo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat today

Joy!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Yugen
    Warm congratulations to both Dainin and Myozan!

Deep bows
    Yugen

#sat2day

Hi.

Good news.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

#Sat2day
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Congratulations Dainin and Myozan
    Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Congratulations guys

Gassho
    Gary
    Drinking tea and eating rice.

Congrats to both Myozan & Dainin! Deep bows!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Joyo
    Congratulations to both. Thank you for sharing, Nindo.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Congratulations to Myozan and Dainin; well deserved denpo!
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Great to hear - congratulations and all the best to both!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

All the best in the work ahead for them.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    Last edited by RichardH; 12-29-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Congratulations! And thank you for your commitment.
    Gassho
    C

Sat Today!

Good, may you two realize the "Ground of Being before mind splits the world," and may you abide there.
    Gassho,
    Seido sat today.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Congratulations to all involved.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Kyotai
    Congrats to both

Gassho, Shawn
    Sat today

Congratulations, though I hardly understand this. What changed?

gassho
    john
    sat today

Wow! That's awesome news!

Thanks!

I shall write them to congratulate them

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi,

A few folks have written to ask me why there was no prior announcement of this happy event. I will answer honestly.

Our friends over at the Blue Mountain seem very private and, perhaps, are not the best communicators without their even realizing so. I have mentioned it to them a few times these past months, but Taigu seems to emphasize a small, very private flavor for their group, and perhaps others have similar reasons to follow suit. I know it is unintentional, because they sure know that they have so many long time members here who are old friends.

A little news and greetings now and then is always most welcome by all of us, and keeps family close. Maybe the coming New Year is a time for us all (me too!) to do better at keeping in touch? Let's all give a shout out, and say how much we want to hear what's up with our Blue Mountain Bros. Let's stick together! So many folks here (me too!) would be sad if we lost touched unwittingly.

So many of our members, our Priests and I celebrate with Myozan and Dainin (a fellow from France who was not a member here) and send all good wishes.

Gassho, J

SatToday!
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-31-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    That is good news.

Gassho, J
    I took a lesson in equanimity from your initial reply Jundo.

Unintentional or not I felt it must have been hurtful if Nindo's post was the first you knew
    about Myozan's ordination?

I had a look at the facebook page and it seems quite active so perhaps this is the best way to keep in touch and offer congratulations to Myozan and Dainin.

Thank you for your recent post which again showed warmth and equanimity in explaining the situation.

Gassho

Willow

Sat Today

I received a pm out of the blue from Taigu saying that I have apparently chosen to stay at Treeleaf and should not try to interact with him in any way. I had not tried to interact and will not in the future as he requests. I have never shared the content of a PM on the forum but am sharing this.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi All,

I feel like we’re always tiptoeing so carefully around this subject. If people have sadness or anger or questions, can we just bring it out into the open and talk together about it? I have several thoughts, I will ramble on a little:

I have been sad that there has not been more communication and more updates here from the Blue Mountain. But I figured that they are very busy getting the website up and organizing sittings and figuring out how they want to do things. With no forum there, it is harder to see what’s going on, and the Facebook/G+ pages were not updated for a long while, but lately there is more content there. Everyone here is free to join in the sittings over there and leave comments, and a few people have done.

Jundo, with all respect, I think that saying “they are not the best communicators,” is a kind of comment on folks personally, that is counter-productive. If someone said to me, “hey, you’re not the best communicator,” I would probably not feel inclined to communicate more, but might feel defensive. Saying that they have not communicated as much as we wish they would, might be more accurate? I agree, we should all work harder in the New Year to stay in touch. I’m assuming that they want to be in touch with us...?

I miss Taigu’s influence here. I don’t know really if the split was completely friendly or not, and I guess it is bad manners to ask. But I appreciate that both Taigu and Jundo have been very kind in their speech about each other and the whole transition. I hope that when they are fully up and running, Taigu will post teachings here and still be involved here as much as his time allows.

I think many of us still consider Taigu to be a teacher here, although his role has changed to more of a (special, favored) guest teacher. He is still listed on our Treeleaf Teachers and Novice Priests page. I can’t find the sticky thread that we had set up for Taigu updates anymore? But I think I remember him mentioning the Dharma transmission. I don’t know if Jundo knew about it, but I would be surprised if he didn’t.

I see no mention of Treeleaf or Jundo on the Blue Mountain website, and no link. I don’t know if this is because of a wish for separation, or because the website is still under construction.

I’ve contacted Taigu a few times since the split, and he has always answered promptly and warmly and been generous as always with his guidance. I still consider him my teacher along with Jundo.

I don’t know what Daizan’s PM means. I would need more context to judge, and I feel that something is being implied by posting it, but I’m not sure what it is, exactly.

Can we speak openly about the split? Does anyone else have questions or feelings to share?

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Last edited by Byokan; 12-31-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Hi All,

I feel like we’re always tiptoeing so carefully around this subject. If people have sadness or anger or questions, can we just bring it out into the open and talk together about it? I have several thoughts, I will ramble on a little:

I have been sad that there has not been more communication and more updates here from the Blue Mountain. But I figured that they are very busy getting the website up and organizing sittings and figuring out how they want to do things. With no forum there, it is harder to see what’s going on, and the Facebook/G+ pages were not updated for a long while, but lately there is more content there. Everyone here is free to join in the sittings over there and leave comments, and a few people have done.

Jundo, with all respect, I think that saying “they are not the best communicators,” is a kind of comment on folks personally, that is counter-productive. If someone said to me, “hey, you’re not the best communicator,” I would probably not feel inclined to communicate more, but might feel defensive. Saying that they have not communicated as much as we wish they would, might be more accurate? I agree, we should all work harder in the New Year to stay in touch. I’m assuming that they want to be in touch with us...?

I miss Taigu’s influence here. I don’t know really if the split was completely friendly or not, and I guess it is bad manners to ask. But I appreciate that both Taigu and Jundo have been very kind in their speech about each other and the whole transition. I hope that when they are fully up and running, Taigu will post teachings here and still be involved here as much as his time allows.

I think many of us still consider Taigu to be a teacher here, although his role has changed to more of a (special, favored) guest teacher. He is still listed on our Treeleaf Teachers and Novice Priests page. I can’t find the sticky thread that we had set up for Taigu updates anymore? But I think I remember him mentioning the Dharma transmission. I don’t know if Jundo knew about it, but I would be surprised if he didn’t.

I see no mention of Treeleaf or Jundo on the Blue Mountain website, and no link. I don’t know if this is because of a wish for separation, or because the website is still under construction.

I’ve contacted Taigu a few times since the split, and he has always answered promptly and warmly and been generous as always with his guidance. I still consider him my teacher along with Jundo.

I don’t know what Daizan’s PM means. I would need more context to judge, and I feel that something is being implied by posting it, but I’m not sure what it is, exactly.

Can we speak openly about the split? Does anyone else have questions or feelings to share?

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    HI Lisa from snowy Owen Sound Ontario. I should be playing here and not posting but I felt on the drive up that I aught to follow up. pardon the spelling I'n not wearing reading glasses.

Of course there is no mention of Treeleaf.

The context is simply that I heard from Taigu at the time of the split about the new Zendo but had no further communication after that until receiving that pm a little while ago. I posted about it to gwt across the clear impression it gave me. Taigu has his own sangha and I had to choose between that and Treeleaf. Its not an impression.. it's plain. at least in my case. I have no special issue with Taigu so I'm not sure why. Posting about a PM is unethical but I did it to say that Treeleaf is whole and complete, and that I (for what it is worth) am not sentimental for lost anything. Maybe thing will circle around and connect.. maybe not.

I wish all the best to every sangha and every teacher...

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Hi Daizan,

thank you for providing more info. I value your insight greatly.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Hi Lisa,

I will try to answer as best I can.

The image was two ships sailing their own way, with their own styles, but generally side by side with interchange between. But in order for that to work, good communication is vital. We have to work hard to maintain that.

Taigu won't teach here regularly, but he will teach there. In my understanding, he wants to work with a small group of select students there, as opposed to the large group here with a more "open door" policy. There were some differences in teaching style, so it seemed good to each have a place where we could express that style. They are both good styles, though sometimes pointing different ways. The idea was that, if there were two captains ... one who wished to go east and another more westerly, the answer was to have two boats (as I have discussed before, I am interested in taking Practice in a less esoteric, more modern and minimalist direction). In this Buddhist world, there are 1000 Sangha with 1000 Teachers with 1000 slightly or greatly varying styles. Buddhism is like music/musicians or art/artists that way, and there are many good styles.

I did not know that there was an upcoming Transmission Ceremony beforehand (except that they were planning it for somewhere eventually down the road). So, it was rather a surprise that it had happened already, but I am so very happy for everyone involved.

I am not sure I know what else to tell you except that communication should be better if the experiment is to work. I hope it does get better.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-01-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Hi all

I have known about the dharma transmission for several months so frankly consider it bad form that Jundo wasn't contacted to say that it would be happening. I have no bad feelings towards Taigu or any of the Blue Mountain sangha and congratulate both Myozan and Dainin on their dharma transmission. Not having thought of letting Jundo know saddens me, though. Keeping things small and personal is a legitimate choice but (as my mother often says) good manners cost nothing.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Hello,

Floating bodies from the AirAsia Flight QZ8501 crash, soap bubbles, Transmission: just-conditional objects, (and I A M a monkey's uncle).

Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 12-31-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Hi Jundo,

Thank you for answering. What you describe was my understanding too. I guess I hoped that we would be sister (brother) Sangha’s, with a special affinity and a tie not only in the past but in the present. It would seem that there’s not a lot of communication between the two teachers if the info about the ceremony was not shared. That makes me a little sad. Still I won’t presume anything about anyone’s motives and intentions. Everyone can speak for themselves.

My post was just to say, if people have questions and feelings about this, lets talk about it. I have a habit of pointing out elephants in the room. My intent is not to stir the pot or make trouble, just to open up the discussion and maybe clear the air.

I have confidence that things are unfolding as they should, and all will work out for the best.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi all

I have known about the dharma transmission for several months so frankly consider it bad form that Jundo wasn't contacted to say that it would be happening. I have no bad feelings towards Taigu or any of the Blue Mountain sangha and congratulate both Myozan and Dainin on their dharma transmission. Not having thought of letting Jundo know saddens me, though. Keeping things small and personal is a legitimate choice but (as my mother often says) good manners cost nothing.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    I agree Kokuu and it was where I was coming from. It just felt odd and a bit disrespectful that Jundo wasn't contacted, but he has taken the better part which I respect.

Taigu's teachings are on line thru the face book site and also the web site so I never anticipated that he would be teaching here at Tree Leaf. I will be following from time to time because I do appreciate his thoughts/commentaries on Dogen, etc. But I have my doubts that the two sangha's will be that closely connected because it feels there are fundamental differences in approach.

All of which is fine - and I wish The Blue Mountain Sangha the very best.

Gassho

Willow

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Hi Jundo,

Thank you for answering. What you describe was my understanding too. I guess I hoped that we would be sister (brother) Sangha’s, with a special affinity and a tie not only in the past but in the present. It would seem that there’s not a lot of communication between the two teachers if the info about the ceremony was not shared. That makes me a little sad. Still I won’t presume anything about anyone’s motives and intentions. Everyone can speak for themselves.
    Those are precisely my (and, I believe, Taigu's) feelings on the intent. I do not believe that any lack of communication has been meant (not only about this little event, but in general), but perhaps communication has been a bit insufficient in some ways. However, if we are ever to realize that vision of "sister-brother Sanghas of special affinity and timeless ties of past present and future", then good communication and sharing is vital. It is not unlike the story of old "best friends" who, if the relationship and sharing of news is not kept up and nurtured, end up drifting away. That would be a shame, but we see it all the time with friendships, families and even related Buddhist Sangha not by intent (although sometimes that) but by just lack of attention!

And Myosha is simply wise and right: In the Grand Scheme of Things, this is all soap bubbles.

Gassho and a Peaceful New Year, Jundo

SatToday!
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-01-2015 at 09:17 AM.

I like Taigu's shinny bald head. It looks just like mine.

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Hi everybody and ...happy new year!

About the lack of communication...it is true to a certain extent and Lisa nailed it: we are a bunch of super busy individuals trying to get it right and organized. On a personal touch, I had many job difficulties and a very difficult and quite serious health situation to deal with with that took away a lot of my stamina and energy ( and most of my sleep for months). Now I am on the mend since I just started to receive proper medical treatment ( this medical condition went undetected for six months in Japan, and was just confirmed a few days ago) As I don't advertise stuff about my private life...
    As far as I recall, I told Jundo months ago about this ceremony taking place in December 2014. He said it was too early and should be reconsidered and moved or if it was about to take place he wanted Myozan and myself to be out so Treeleaf would not associated with it. It even triggered he whole gentle decision to part and form two structures, I can dig the PM if you wish...
    Daizan and a couple of other people were invited to stay only with Treeleaf as they haven t communicated for so long and clearly in their statement on line were showing a sensitivity to the new Treeleaf slyle.

That's it really. The ceremonies went very well. And were recorded ( at the exception of the secret ceremony). Soon, movies will be edited and shared.

I would like to thank the priests and most folks on Treeleaf for their kindness and understanding.

Take great care of yourself

Gassho

Taigu

Yugen
    I'm glad to see you Taigu and thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear about your health challenges and it's good that you are receiving the right treatment. Everyone here wishes for the great success of The Hermitage and hopes that our paths intersect frequently throughout our respective journeys. We owe much to you and that will always be in the forefront of our practice.

Best wishes and deep bows
    Yugen

#sat2day

Jundo and Taigu please fight to your heart's content; I am loving these fights (between zen teachers)

Fellow students, it is none of our business. feel free to discuss but let us not take sides or add to the fire

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    I'm glad to see you Taigu and thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear about your health challenges and it's good that you are receiving the right treatment. Everyone here wishes for the great success of The Hermitage and hopes that our paths intersect frequently throughout our respective journeys. We owe much to you and that will always be in the forefront of our practice.

Best wishes and deep bows
    Yugen

#sat2day
    Exactly.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    Jundo and Taigu please fight to your heart's content; I am loving these fights (between zen teachers)

Fellow students, it is none of our business. feel free to discuss but let us not take sides or add to the fire

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat Today
    Hi Sam,

Why do you feel the need to say that?

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday!

Hello,

Sam who?

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today

Sam Metta

Jundo, good question. But I am not the important person here. My needs, if any, really don't matter.

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat Today

Dear Taigu,

I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best for you and the Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Mp
    Hello and Happy New Year ... Wonderful to see you Taigu and thank you for touching base to let us know you are OK. I too am sorry to heat about your health challenges, but am happy to know you are doing well. =)

All the best to you, your family, and Blue Mountain. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Just about to sit

Taigu,

I am sorry to hear of your ailments, but happy to know you are on the road to recovery. Deep bows to you and all our dharma siblings at BMWC. As you have said for many years to us, take great care.

And please keep in touch when possible...I know feelings have been hurt, but families go through things like this. Regardless, we are family and let's practice together.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Definitely a sense of loss with Taigu and his students not communicating here anymore. Maybe that will change. People come and go , the dharma remains. As a layperson I am very proud to be a part of treeleaf and wish everyone a happy new year in the dharma.
    Sat today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Joyo
    Hello Taigu, I am happy that your health problems are getting resolved. Happy New Year and metta to all.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Congratulations to Myozan on Dharma transmission.
    Best wishes to Taigu and I hope your life circumstances improve quickly.
    May we all be well and happy.
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    Sat today.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Like the others said.

Good to hear, good to see.

It's one of the strange things about a zendo with online forum functions: I've watched videos and read posts by people (priest, unsui, normal wanderers like me) I only shortly or never "met". But in their teachings, they are present and I am deeply grateful to them.

Dear Taigu, take time to heal and recover, enjoy your own path and family, and may we all meet freqently in friendship on the mountain.
    Que la santé et le bonheur soient avec toi tous les jours de l’année nouvelle!

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast