Thread: Interview with Myogen Steve Stucky

Mp

Interview with Myogen Steve Stucky

Hello everyone,

Came across this nice little informal interview with the late Myogen Steve Stucky on Zen practice. Enjoy. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

~ Sat today

Yugen

Interview with Myogen Steve Stucky

Thanks Shingen! The sound on my iPhone is not working so I will view on laptop at home.

Watching the video without sound I am struck by his smile. Maybe I don't need the sound after all. It's neat to realize what we apprehend when we don't rely on auditory pathways. And instead use other forms of communication, such as facial expression or gesture, through which in actuality we transmit/receive the essence of our communications.

Thank you again

Deep bows
    Yugen

#sat2day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Watching the video without sound I am struck by his smile.
    Beautifully put Yugen ... when you hear his voice and the words he speaks, his smile is all that is needed. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

~ Sat today

Lovely. A beautiful introduction to the Way of Samu, Work Practice, which is just moving Zazen.

Even if we don't have our own farm field to seed and hoe, we all have our own fields calling for such care ...

Our families, our community, our factory or office where we work, our world ... these are all fields and crops requiring our attention and care. With a wise eye and the right attitude, the same lessons that Steve is speaking about can be learned in your "farm field" and garden.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wonderful thank you

_|sat2day|_

Wonderful talk. Thank you, Shingen.

Gassho
    John
    sat today

Very nice.

Thank you.

Gassho
    Aske
    #SAT TODAY!
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Thanks, Shingen. I was privileged to hear Steve's teaching for a few years before his death. His smile is what he is about, very down-to-earth guy, literally.
    It was lovely to hear his voice again this morning.

_/\_ Shinzan
    sattoday

Thank you

Elgwyn
    sat today
    Gassho

Thank you very much for this, Shinzan seems to have the right notion, this guy has a contagious smile.

Gassho,
    James
    Sat today

Thank you

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    明道 修眼
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Thanks a lot Shingen. I really appreciated Myogen´s words.
    And thanks Jundo for your teaching too. Just now I realized that I can face my job like a samu...it´s just a different kind of "farm field"
    Gassho
    Miguel
    #Sat Today

Wonderful Shingen, thank you. My wife and I are very fortunate to be able to grow our own food and in the acts of hoeing, weeding or digging it is possible to be totally present in the moment (of course my neighbours think I should go down to the supermarket for the vegetables and gave my back a break ).
    Gassho,
    David

sattoday

Nindo

Up here, it will be another 4 months until I can put seeds in the ground ... sigh

Gassho
    Nindo
    sattoday

Mp
    Yes, there truly is something to be said when one can grow their own food. My neighbour who taught me so much about gardening (he is in a retirement facility now) used to grow tons of food and donate it to the food bank. Maybe one day, as that to me is a beautiful expression of our practice. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat today

Up here, it will be another 4 months until I can put seeds in the ground ... sigh
    Nindo!

I didn't notice you were going to take such a long break from Treeleaf !

Please, everyone, fertilize the tomatoes when it is their time, and ...uhm, well, do something good for the sangha. Samu, too?
    Ignore yours subscribed, who needs a lot of manure to grow

G
    D
    St

Joyo
    Thank you, Shingen. I just saw this post now, and it was perfect timing as I thought earlier today I want to start focusing on my job/work/life as samu and not separate from my zazen practice.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Nindo
    Hi Danny,
    there are many kinds of seeds, but you cannot eat painted rice cakes.
    A hoe is a hoe, a snow shovel is a snow shovel.

Gassho,
    Nindo
    sattoday

My apologies, I'm sorry. After all, you used to answere my question what "samu" means.
    Sometimes I'd like to have a garden too.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Hello,

Thank you for the link. (Couldn't find the browser to watch it.)

An expert at nothing Zen: but a body language amateur, the video showed a stressed individual ( squeezing tool, arranging clothing [hat in hand],checking time, trying to end conversation, acting relaxed, etc.). Curious if he knew death was imminent.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Hi Danny,
    there are many kinds of seeds, but you cannot eat painted rice cakes.

Gassho,
    Nindo
    sattoday
    Hey Nindo,

What if the whole wide world is a painted rice cake?

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Nindo
    Ah Jishin, I was just waiting for you to step on the hoe and have it hit you on the nose. Bang!

Gassho,
    Nindo
    sattoday

No eyes, ear, tongue and nose to get hit by the hoe!

Gassho, Jishin, _/st\_

Nindo
    LOL

Gassho,
    Nindo
    sattoday

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosha View Post
    An expert at nothing Zen: but a body language amateur, the video showed a stressed individual ( squeezing tool, arranging clothing [hat in hand],checking time, trying to end conversation, acting relaxed, etc.). Curious if he knew death was imminent.
    I think most of us are uncomfortable in front of a camera; why should a Zen priest/ abbot be any different?

Gassho,
    Nindo
    sattoday