Thread: Sitting & Metta for the Children

Sitting & Metta for the Children

May we Sit and offer Metta for the school children killed in Pakistan, the suffering children of Syria, their families, and suffering children in war zones and places of violence everywhere.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/17/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

May there be Peace in this Season of Peace. Someday, this world will be free of war and deadly violence.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

No words.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Someday, this world will be free of war and deadly violence.

Gassho, J
    Hear, hear!

Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 12-18-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

May all living beings be free from suffering.

Lets light incense for them and sit in silence.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Metta for those going through unspeakable suffering.
    Metta for minds burning in delusion and rage.

Gassho
    Daizan
    sat today

Joyo
    Sickening, absolutely sickening. Will sit and light incense tonight for all suffering children.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Mp
    Someday, this world will be free of war and deadly violence.
    I too wish this as this experiences are very hard to see. Much metta to all who have suffered from such violence.

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

How hard not letting the sight of horror induce hard words or thoughts in us...

How can one bear this kind of violence against the innocent with no desire for justice?

Honestly, I don't know if I can send metta to those hands soaked in the blood of innocent kids.

I'll try but don't know if I will be sincere wishing well for those mercyless killers.

Gassho,
    Walter

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Kyotai
    Metta to all those children killed, their families, and the families of their teachers. Metta to the emergency workers who were on scene.

Metta to those who are deluded, and may they be brought to justice.

Gassho. Shawn
    Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post

How can one bear this kind of violence against the innocent with no desire for justice?

Honestly, I don't know if I can send metta to those hands soaked in the blood of innocent kids.

I'll try but don't know if I will be sincere wishing well for those mercyless killers.

Gassho,
    Walter

#SatToday

Joseph Goldstein, in one of his talks, recounts a discussion he had on metta with a group in New York City after the 9/11 attacks. Several group participants said it was difficult for them to send metta to the terrorists or anyone associated with them. And this was understandable, as is the difficulty of extending it to those behind the massacre of children in Pakistan.

FWIW, he suggested extending the wish for the attackers to be "free of enmity," and the group seemed to feel this was something they could do.

Gassho,
    Robert #sattoday
    Last edited by robert; 12-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Sadly these days bring many atrocities. Metta for the victims and perpetrators of violence committed by "their "tribes. Metta for the victims and perpetrators of violence committed by "our" tribes. We sit with Thich Nhat Hanh's poem:

http://www.quietspaces.com/poemHanh.html

Gassho
    John
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    Joseph Goldstein, in one of his talks, recounts a discussion he had on metta with a group in New York City after the 9/11 attacks. Several group participants said it was difficult for them to send metta to the terrorists or anyone associated with them. And this was understandable, as is the difficulty of extending it to those behind the massacre of children in Pakistan.

FWIW, he suggested extending the wish for the attackers to be "free of enmity," and the group seemed to feel this was something they could do.

Gassho,
    Robert #sattoday
    Yes, in Buddhism, we tend to see even the violence doers as victims of greed, anger and ignorance. We tend to avoid saying there are "bad people", and merely that there are people who act badly do to their own suffering inside.

Thus, I can wish even a killer "peace" and "contentment", with the idea that if they truly knew peace and contentment, there would be no violence.

Gassho, J

Sattoday
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-18-2014 at 04:57 PM.

I am still in shock. Much metta to all. I agree it is hard to wish metta to the perpetrators. After the initial shock and disgust wear off, I will try again. I pray some day the circle of violence will end.

_|sat2day|_

I can't even fathom what it's like to experience that loss. I hope one day that we can get past our differences. Some of these discrepancies are so ancient that I think everyone just has to let go of any of the anger towards the other. Also, each side has its reasons to hate the other. I just hope that they can find a common ground to find peace. I know it's easier said than done; hopefully our wish for peace and thoughts of the attackers and victims help.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

I will include Metta for this tragedy tonight during my sitting. Its really hard to see things like this. Regardless of who points fingers and who, we are all part of a single whole, and its sad so see part of us go.

Gassho,
    James
    Sat Today

At this time of year of (hoped for) Peace and Giving, I would like to remind folks too of the children and families of Homs and other places like it in Syria and around the world ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/war-and-hunger/

(it is the first story here) ....

The United Nations World Food Program, highlighted in this story, functions largely on private donations ...

http://www.wfp.org/

https://give.wfp.org/en/?step=country

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-19-2014 at 04:01 AM.

Gassho,
    Walter

#SatToday

Hi Walter. Metta practice has no bearing on the need and desire for justice. We are always responsible for our actions and have to hold each other to account. Metta is looking into greed, anger and ignorance... delusion. There are accountable people, yet within each person there are these beginningless energies in play. A mind locked into fixed view and absolutism is burning and deluded for example. There is suffering all around, connected and co-arising.

Just a view from here.

Gassho Daizan

Sat today

Let me add that, even though Buddhists tend to say there are no "bad people," only "bad actions", and that even the harmdoer is a "victim" of greed, anger and ignorance, most Buddhist Teachers of all schools will allow that there is still reason to stop or punish criminally the wrongdoer via prison or the like, or even to use violent force ... even (although not all Buddhists agree on this) to use deadly force ... to prevent future violence by the person. Most (not all, and there are some prominent absolute no holds barred pacifists) would say that this is in keeping with the Precept to Preserve Life because the deadly force is being used to preserve the lives of even more innocent victims.

There is a famous old tale of even the Buddha, in a prior incarnation, committing murder for just such reason. The important point is that he was willing to take upon himself the Karmic effects which would result in order to save the lives of many, and in order to spare the murderous pirate from his own bad Karma.

(In a previous life, the Buddha was Captain Compassionate Heart, sailing with 500 merchants. An evil pirate, Dung Thungchen (Blackspear) appeared, threatening to kill them all. )The captain, a bodhisattva himself, saw the [pirate]'s murderous intention and realized this crime would result in eons of torment for the murderer. In his compassion, the captain was willing to take hellish torment upon himself by killing the man to prevent karmic suffering that would be infinity greater than the suffering of the murdered victims. The captain's compassion was impartial; his motivation was utterly selfless.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post107879
    I am not sure about the effect of our Karma in lives to come ... but I do know that we likely will bear the effects of our actions in this life in some way. I have a friend, an ex-policeman, who had to kill someone in a perfectly necessary and justified act to save lives. Yet, my friend still carries that with him to this day.

No, taking lives is never a "good" thing. Sometimes it is necessary.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-19-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Hello,

"You can do anything in this world if you are prepared to take the consequences." – W. Somerset Maugham

Thanks to all for the lesson.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Let me add that, even though Buddhists tend to say there are no "bad people," only "bad actions", and that even the harmdoer is a "victim" of greed, anger and ignorance, most Buddhist Teachers of all schools will allow that there is still reason to stop or punish criminally the wrongdoer via prison or the like, or even to use violent force ... even (although not all Buddhists agree on this) to use deadly force ... to prevent future violence by the person. Most (not all, and there are some prominent absolute no holds barred pacifists) would say that this is in keeping with the Precept to Preserve Life because the deadly force is being used to preserve the lives of even more innocent victims.
    This happens to connect with our latest Precept reflection for this week ... To Refrain from Anger ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...om-Being-Angry

Gassho, J

SatToday!

_/\_ _/\_ _/\_

Gassho Heisoku.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Ansan
    Much metta to all. We do not own a TV and consequently miss a lot of the news. This is very painful. And it goes on, with the slaying of New York policemen in response to the recent shootings. So much suffering.

Gassho,
    Ka

#SatToday

y
    Do it with a smile. Imagine how the world would be if only they understood gratitude and compassion.

We living beings suffer and need guidance. Metta for all.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joyo
    There was a terrible act, committed against a child about 8 hours from where I live. The person is being charged and last I heard the child is still in the hospital. Could we send metta to this little girl and sit for her? One of the biggest parts of this practice (for me) is accepting that we just cannot help all beings, no matter how hard we try.

sending love and metta to all children

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

p.s.--and yes, I suppose we should be chanting metta for the person that committed the abuse as well, but like others have said, that is such a hard thing to do

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    There was a terrible act, committed against a child about 8 hours from where I live. The person is being charged and last I heard the child is still in the hospital. Could we send metta to this little girl and sit for her? One of the biggest parts of this practice (for me) is accepting that we just cannot help all beings, no matter how hard we try.

sending love and metta to all children

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

p.s.--and yes, I suppose we should be chanting metta for the person that committed the abuse as well, but like others have said, that is such a hard thing to do

Sending much metta Joyo ... it is hard to see children hurt or mistreated. Will dedicate my sit tonight to all children facing such terrible acts.

Gassho
    Shingen

~ Sat today

Aren't all persons, victims or perpetrators, equally deserving of compassion? Metta for all.

gassho
    john
    sat today
    Last edited by Meishin; 12-29-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Aren't all persons, victims or perpetrators, equally deserving of compassion? Metta to all.

gassho
    john
    sat today
    Yes, this is true John and every time we give metta it is not solely for one, but for all.

That being said children and animals are more vulnerable to such violence and trauma as they do not yet have the same skills to defend or protect themselves. It is important help support and help all sentient beings, but some do require that extra hand of support.

Gassho
    Shingen

~ sat today

Hi All,

I will send metta and sit for this poor little girl.

About sending metta to the perpetrators: I don’t hesitate to do this, and it doesn’t feel unnatural to me. I do feel terrible anger and disgust and frustration when faced with this kind of act. And I do long for and demand justice. But compassion arises from putting oneself in the shoes of another, empathizing with their trouble and their sorrow and struggles. I think to myself -- how can people do these things? I can’t ever imagine myself doing something so horrible and obviously wrong!

But then I do imagine it. What would it take for me, as I am today, to get to a position where I would commit such an act? What would it take to convince me to strap on explosives and walk into a crowded place and think it was the only sane thing to do in my circumstances, and worth the horrible cost? How hurt and warped and damaged would I have to be, to feel driven to abuse a child? What would it take for me to commit genocide, rape, murder, torture, etc, all the horrible things that people do to each other??

I’m not making excuses for heinous acts like these. But I don’t indulge in the luxury of thinking these people are different from me. There is no separation, no essential difference between myself and the perpetrators. If you say that some people are just evil, isn’t that making an excuse? If they are just bad or crazy, they’re really not responsible, are they? If you’re going to hold them to the same ethical and moral constraints that you hold yourself and society to, you can’t place them in a category of being different than you are. People do what they do for a complicated chain of reasons. There, but for the grace of god, nature, nurturance, chance, whatever you believe shapes people in this world... there but for that grace go I.

How can I not feel compassion for someone whose life and worldview is so messed up that they choose to do these awful things? How can I not feel compassion when I think what it must be like to know you did something like this and live with it? How can I not have compassion for wrong choices made and stupid unquestioned beliefs and greed and rage and ignorance and human failings and frailty? How can I not have compassion, knowing that every one of these people who did these things was once a baby in it's mothers arms, with all the potential for happiness and good that we each have? How can I not have compassion?

And if I have no compassion, if what my heart offers in return is only more rage and vengeance and violence, am I not contributing further to the suffering in the world?

This is how I offer metta to the perpetrators. It takes nothing away from the metta I offer to the victims and in no way excuses anything. There’s not a finite amount of compassion that needs to be doled out carefully, only to the "deserving". So much suffering in this world. Metta for all.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Joyo
    Hello Lisa, thank you for this. It was very helpful.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    just sat

Thank you Lisa.

As always, you've put it perfectly clear.
    However I must be honest and admit I still can not "feel" that lack of separation, although I can understand it.

Perhaps I must sit a lot more and give myself a lot more of compassion before being able to give it to others without conditions.
    I'm working on it, only the results take a lot of time to show up and stay.

Gassho,
    Walter

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

May we Sit and offer Metta for the school children killed in Pakistan, the suffering children of Syria, their families, and suffering children in war zones and places of violence everywhere.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/17/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

May there be Peace in this Season of Peace. Someday, this world will be free of war and deadly violence.

Gassho, J
    Gassho

Sergey
    sat-today

May all beings be liberated from the craving that leads to suffering and the anger, greed and delusion that keeps that endless round of samsara going. It was a tragedy, but for the murdered and the murderers, I will offer metta.
    Andrew
    I sat today.