Thread: Announcement: Special Guest, Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY with Rev. Tonen O'Connor

Announcement: Special Guest, Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY with Rev. Tonen O'Connor

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that the Rev. Tonen O'Connor of the Milwaukee (Wisconsin) Zen Center, who is visiting Japan, will be travelling out to Tsukuba to stay with my family, and has agreed to offer a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SUNDAY DECEMBER 21st, LIVE from Treeleaf Tsukuba!

The festivities will begin at 10pm Japan time Sunday (that is New York 8am, Los Angeles 5am, London 1pm and Paris 2pm, all Sunday Dec. 21st). and probably last about an hour or 90 minutes or so.

I would like to fill our hangout and show her a big turnout (maybe even start a second hangout if possible). I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please PM me (Jundo). It will be worth your time.

Tonen O’Connor was MZC's Resident Priest from 2001 until retiring from that role in 2011. She received ordination from Tozen Akiyama in 1994, dharma transmission in 1999 and in 2000 performed the ceremony of zuise at Eiheiji and Sojiji, head temples of the Soto school in Japan. She trained in Japan at Shogoji, Hosshinji and Hokyoji, and holds the rank of nitokyoshi within the Japanese Soto system as well as a four-year assignment as kokusaifukyoshi.

For over fifteen years she has worked extensively with inmates within the Wisconsin correctional system, served on the Wisconsin Department of Corrections Religious Practices Advisory Committee and gave a presentation on this work at a conference in Tokyo in 2008. Tonen served as chair of the Committee on Interfaith Understanding, is past President of the Board of the Soto Zen Buddhist Association and, with Zuiko Redding of the Cedar Rapids Zen Center, is co-founder of the Great Sky Sesshin, held annually for eight years at Hokyoji Zen Practice Community in Minnesota.

Prior to entering the Zen world, Rev. O’Connor had a 40-year career in the professional theater and was managing director of the Milwaukee Repertory Theater from 1974-1995. Tonen holds a Bachelor's degree with high honors from Swarthmore College and an M.A. From Tufts University. Tonen is the editor of Buddhas Behind Bars, has a response included in The Hidden Lamp and her translation of Kodo Sawaki's Commentary on The Song of Awakening will be published in spring 2014. She has two sons, four grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and lives happily with two splendid cats.
    I hope folks will help welcome her.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - This special Zazenkai will replace our usual Friday-Saturday Zazenkai next week.

PPS - Rev. Muho of Antaiji, who was originally scheduled to offer a Zazenkai and Talk this coming weekend has graciously agreed to rechedule for late January.

Last edited by Jundo; 12-19-2014 at 05:27 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yugen
    I'm in!

Deep bows
    Yugen

#sat2day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for inviting her, and great that Rev. Tonen will be there!

Alas - my friends have scheduled our concert for the neighbourhood at 2:30pm (Paris); and it's still imperceptable if G+ allows me in.
    I'm having a run!
    I seem to be in the field of sewing the joyfully frustrating formless via G+ zazenkais...
    All as it should be, then.

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Mp
    This is wonderful Jundo, I will be there! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

I will be there. I have not use google + yet though

_|sat2day|_

Participating.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Joyo
    I very much want to participate live. As long as the time works, I will be there.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I will be there

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

I'll be there too. Say, isn't that the Winter Solstice???

_/\_ Shinzan

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzan View Post
    I'll be there too. Say, isn't that the Winter Solstice???

_/\_ Shinzan
    Yes it is Great way to celebrate.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Hi Jundo,

Thank you for making this visit possible. If there's room for one more, please count me in!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'm making arrangements to be free on Sunday morning.
    I'd love to be there live.

Gassho,
    Walter.

#SatToday
    Gassho,Walter

Nindo
    6am on Solstice .... you will probably not want to see me live
    Will try to make it.

Gassho,
    Nindo
    sattoday

Dear All,

We are going to have two Hangouts going, on two computers and two separate Googleplus accounts, so we can have everyone who wishes to come. Please note your group. 

(NOTE TO DOSHO: Would you post below a quick refresher for newer folks on what to look for that day in order to join their circle? Also, please make sure that folks are set for the "Jukai 1" group, where I have just made you manager. Thank you, D. )

NOTE THAT WE HAVE A FULL HOUSE! (PM me if you want to be on the standby waiting list).

==================================

The following folks are in the Circle on our Treeleaf Google Plus Page called "Tonen Zazenkai Circle" ...

https://plus.google.com/b/1169304486...90706458/posts

Troy
    Bryson
    Shinzan
    Walter
    Nindo
    Sekishi
    Shokai
    Shingen
    Kyonin

The following folks are on our second "Treeleaf Jukai 1" Google Plus Page in "More Tonen Circle" ...

https://plus.google.com/b/1124127938...09963606/posts

Joyo
    Jizu
    Daizan
    Shawn
    Nameless John
    John H
    Dosho
    Yugen
    Shugen

Please let me know if I missed someone.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday!
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-19-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Hi Jundo,

I would like to join. I have no experience in Google+.
    Hope, that is as easy as Skype.

Gassho, Ernst
    Sat today

Jundo,

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    The exact time will be determined, but I am trying to schedule to allow the best coverage for Europe and most of North America (although a little early on the West Coast). I am going to try to persuade her to begin at 10pm Japan time Sunday (that is New York 8am, Los Angeles 5am, London 1pm and Paris 2pm, all Sunday Dec. 21st).
    I'm wondering if the "exact time" has been determined? Also do you know the basic schedule for the zazenkai? I would like to join live, but I'm wondering if there is a point later that I could join without disturbing everyone if I miss the start (5am is early and there is always a chance of sleeping through alarms.)

Gassho,
    Kathryn

Hi Jundo,

If you don't get a full house, please consider adding me as an alternate.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Excellent, thank you Jundo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

Ernst, if you get registered, please let me know. I am happy to add you.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...E-for-Zazenkai

Myosha, do you have Google+ registration and want to join two way? Your meaning is not clear.

Kathryn, as of now, we begin at the times I indicated. I anticipate it will be up to 90 minutes in length.

10pm Japan time Sunday (that is New York 8am, Los Angeles 5am, London 1pm and Paris 2pm, all Sunday Dec. 21st).

I do not think there will be a change, but I should have final confirmation of the time tomorrow. I think that folks should plan to stay through, and not show up midway if it can be avoided.

Gassho, J

SatToday!
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-17-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Hello,

At present G+ is one-way - participating one way.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 12-17-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Very deep regrets that I will be unable to be there live for this.
    Gassho
    C
    Sat Today!

Joyo
    Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    have not sat today, need to go do that now

I'll be there if there is room.. If not I'll just sit along one way.

Finally sat last zazenkai... but the laptop screen has failed, gone wonky, toast. You all look fuzzy now.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

perfect! I will be there! Even if its not "live" on google plus!

gassho,
    James
    Sat Today

I'll probably still be awake when it starts. If there are still spots open I'll join. If not, happy to watch the feed instead.

Gassho, John
    Sat Today

I can add you John. Please stay awake! What is your googleplus name?

Gassho, Jundo

I will have to watch recorded as have our grandchildren's Christmas party on Sunday.

Thanks for arranging,

Gassho

Willow

Sat Today

Kyotai
    I can confirm I can sit live if room available. The Sunday date and time are perfect for me.

Gassho, Shawn
    Sat today

Nindo
    Please, if you are looking for room, somebody take my live spot.
    It often takes me a long time to get the equipment going and logged in, especially at such an early hour.
    I'll still be there one way!

Gassho,
    Nindo
    sattoday

Just an update ... we have 2 seats left. Be sure to check and "friend" the group you are in if your first time there. If you don't understand the meaning, please PM Dosho.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post144051

All systems go!

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

The following 8 folks are in the Circle on our Treeleaf Google Plus Page called "Tonen Zazenkai Circle" ...

Troy
    Bryson
    Shinzan
    Walter
    Nindo
    Shokai
    Shingen
    Kyonin

Hi Jundo,

just a quick note to acknowledge 'receipt' of the above

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Hi Jundo,

I would like to join if there's room. Otherwise I'll join "non?"-live.

Gassho
    John
    sat today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Sorry for the late join (been away from the forum this week), but I will be there live if there is a slot available.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #SatToday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Sorry for the late join (been away from the forum this week), but I will be there live if there is a slot available.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #SatToday
    Wonderful, Sekishi! And that seems to be a double FULL HOUSE! Thank you all!

However, I will take a standby waiting list if anyone still wants to try. PM me if so.

Gassho, Jundo

HERE IS THE COMPLETE LIST. MAKE SURE YOU ARE "FOLLOWING" YOUR RESPECTIVE PAGE. PM DOSHO IF NOT SURE YOU ARE.

The following folks are in the Circle on our Treeleaf Google Plus Page called "Tonen Zazenkai Circle" ...

Troy
    Bryson
    Shinzan
    Walter
    Nindo
    Sekishi
    Shokai
    Shingen
    Kyonin

The following folks are on our second "Treeleaf Jukai 1" Google Plus Page in "More Tonen Circle" ...

Joyo
    Jizu
    Daizan
    Shawn
    Nameless John
    John H
    Dosho
    Yugen
    Shugen
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-19-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Announcement: Special Guest, Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY with Rev. Tonen O'C...

Have the invites been sent out in Google +? I have not received one

Will sit soon

EDIT: I see where I am mistaken! Jundo will be operating both hangouts from Japan...please disregard! But PM me with any questions.

Jundo,

I think we can actually accommodate one more person in the second group since I am included in the list. So, that leaves one spot since I am moderator. Yours is full because the list is 9 people plus yourself. Unless I am missing something obvious, which has been known to happen.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Wonderful, Sekishi! And that seems to be a double FULL HOUSE! Thank you all!

However, I will take a standby waiting list if anyone still wants to try. PM me if so.

Gassho, Jundo

HERE IS THE COMPLETE LIST. MAKE SURE YOU ARE "FOLLOWING" YOUR RESPECTIVE PAGE. PM DOSHO IF NOT SURE YOU ARE.

Troy
    Bryson
    Shinzan
    Walter
    Nindo
    Sekishi
    Shokai
    Shingen
    Kyonin

Joyo
    Jizu
    Daizan
    Shawn
    Nameless John
    John H
    Dosho
    Yugen
    Shugen
    Last edited by Dosho; 12-20-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Troy,

Invites can either go out just before the event or ahead of it, but Jundo does the former. So, you should see the invite in your feed shortly before the hangout starts. Jundo can tell you how far ahead he'll invite the group.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Have the invites been sent out in Google +? I have not received one

Will sit soon

Hi all,

I will post some general instructions soon, but if you have a question please send me a PM. I will take you through the entire process if need be, so no worries!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today
    Last edited by Dosho; 12-20-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    EDIT: I see where I am mistaken! Jundo will be operating both hangouts from Japan...please disregard! But PM me with any questions.

Jundo,

I think we can actually accommodate one more person in the second group since I am included in the list. So, that leaves one spot since I am moderator. Yours is full because the list is 9 people plus yourself. Unless I am missing something obvious, which has been known to happen.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today
    No, I have to be present in both groups so that people will have a visual image of Tonen, Dosho. I will also start both groups. If I am not present in both groups, people in both groups will not see our Zendo scene. So, I believe we are full.

However, if anyone wants to be on "standby" please let me know.

I will try to open the hangouts and send invites about 15 minutes before the event starts. Please look for them.

Gassho, Jundo

Just a note that I have posted the main page for this event in our weekly Zazenkai Forum ...

Our Special Zazenkai & Talk with Rev. Tonen O'Connor! Please Sit-A-Long!
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-Sit-A-Long%21

All Systems Go!

Gassho, J
    SatToday

Yes, we are full.

No, I have to be present in both groups so that people will have a visual image of Tonen, Dosho. I will also start both groups. If I am not present in both groups, people in both groups will not see our Zendo scene. So, I believe we are full.

However, if anyone wants to be on "standby" please let me know.

I will try to open the hangouts and send invites about 15 minutes before the event starts. Please look for them.

Gassho, Jundo

NOTE TO ALTERNATES: We have a couple of folks who have been told they are an "alternate", and that they please should not come into the hangout right away. Once we start, if there is an open space after a few minutes, you will hear me say "would our waiting list persons come in". However, please wait until then.

One way or two way, you will be there!

Gassho, Jundo