Thread: December 12th-13th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

December 12th-13th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE from 9am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm, Los Angeles 4pm (Friday night), London midnight and Paris 1am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible at the following link during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-12-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I will be there; hopefully Jundo's googlefix opens the Zendo door!

Gassho,

sat today

I too will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

Hi!

I'll be there live ��

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #sattoday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Joyo
    I am planning on being there live.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

I don't have a webcam but I') tune in to the feed.

Gassho,
    Paul
    Sat today
    Paul

Gassho,
    sat today

Looks as if I will have my daughter with me so, because the Zendo is a bit chilly, I will be in and out with everyone this time.

Gassho, Jundo Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Looks as if I will have my daughter with me so, because the Zendo is a bit chilly, I will be in and out with everyone this time.

Gassho, Jundo Dad
    I have to say Jundo (Dad), your daughter is always a wonderful and joyful addition to our zazenkais. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    I have to say Jundo (Dad), your daughter is always a wonderful and joyful addition to our zazenkais. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today
    I agree.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Participating.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Will be there live!
    Gassho,
    Sekishi #SatToday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    sekishi
    石志

He/him. As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

I'll be there.
    Gassho
    C
    Sat Today!

Joyo
    Thank you everyone. I injured my back at work a few days ago, so I couldn't participate in the whole zazenkai. It was nice to see you all, and Jundo your daughter is adorable.

Have a great weekend.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today---with all of you

Wonderful ... thank you Jundo, Sada, and whole gang ... have a great weekend. =)

Joyo, I hope your back feels better soon. Take it easy. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat Today

Thanks to everyone who participates. Thanks for your practice. Nice to see you for any portion Joyo.
    Gassho
    C

Sat Today! ( just now in fact)

Be well, Joyo. One may recline and moan Zazen when one needs. Even the Buddha had a bad back, ya know.

Some say it was just old age, some from his early years of austere training. But there is a fanciful explanation of the backache and the Buddha once, in a past life, wrestling with a little person ...

In the eleventh enquiry, called backache, we hear how he had pain in the back.

In the past, it seems, the Buddha-to-be was reborn in a householder's family and although he was somewhat short by nature he was endowed with great strength. At that time there was one wrestling-contest champion in the villages, towns and royal cities in the whole of the Rose-Apple Island who, after throwing men in a wrestling contest, achieved success, and by and by having arrived at the Buddha-to-be's residential town, and throwing people there, he got ready to leave.

Then the Buddha-to-be thinking: “Having achieved success in this my place of residence, he is going”, came right there to the town centre, and slapping his arms, 1 said: “Come, after fighting with me, you can go.” After laughing: “I have thrown huge men! This dwarf, who is short by nature, is not able to fight even with one of my hands,” and slapping his arms and roaring he came on.

They both grabbed each other by the arm, and the Buddha-to-be after lifting him and swirling him around in the sky, throwing him on the floor, threw him again, breaking his back-bone. All the town dwellers made acclamation, and after slapping their arms, they honoured the Buddha-to-be with clothes, decorations and so on.

The Buddha-to-be, after laying that wrestler straight, and straightening his back-bone, dismissed him saying: “Go from here, and henceforth do not behave in this way.”

Through that deed and its result, after undergoing suffering in his body, head and so on, in rebirth after rebirth, in this his last state of existence, when he became a Buddha he also suffered with pain in the back.

Therefore sometimes when his back pain arose he said to Sāriputta and Moggallāna: “Please teach the Doctrine,” and preparing his robe he lay down: the Buddha was surely not free from the connection with that deed.

So this was said:

Once while I was wrestling I badly injured another wrestler;
    Through that deed and through its result I suffered a pain in my back.
    http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.ne...1-Backache.htm

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-13-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks Jundo and everyone!

Gassho

Bryson

​sat today

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all. Gassho to Sada and Papa, and to all who sat and will sit. Metta to you Joyo.
    You all open this heart!

Deep bows,
    Sekishi #SatToday
    sekishi
    石志

He/him. As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Joyo
    Thank you everyone.

Many bows,
    Joyo
    sat today

Thanks everyone and much metta Joyo!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Hello,

Back pain is a pain in the back-end.

Metta to all.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Sorry to miss life sitting tonight. Just got home from work at 3 am. Had a good run. I'll sit recorded Tomorrow night.

Deep bows
    Daizan
    Haven't sat since midnight so I haven't sat yet today.

Thank you everyone.
    Good to see all the family again

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Thank you very much. Lovely daughter, spot-on parenting Jundo.

Gassho
    John
    sat today

Thank you, deep bows

_|sat2day|_

Thank you all for this sitting
    Gassho
    Gi shu-george
    Gi Shu -George

Will be sitting this one tonight.
    Gassho,
    Matt